PDA

View Full Version : Still no Asst Mgr?

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Still no news on an assistant manager I presume?

I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering what CC can do all on his own.

If we accept that there's no fight or desire in the team and that we have too many players that don't give a damn then backsides need to be kicked.

We've been saying the same thing for a good few years now and yet there's only 2 or 3 of the same squad remaining from when the unrest appeared to have started.

Is the problem maybe the coaching staff? Do they make things too comfortable?

For the vast majority of Hibs players this will be the highest level they will play at in their careers. They should appreciate how lucky they are to be here but instead seem to take it for granted.

When this lot are emptied I hope we bring in some real hard working experienced professionals or youngsters with the desire to perform then move onto even bigger things.

In the meantime maybe it's time to have a clearout behind the scenes and for CC to bring in a whole new coaching setup for the first team?

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Still no news on an assistant manager I presume?

I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering what CC can do all on his own.

If we accept that there's no fight or desire in the team and that we have too many players that don't give a damn then backsides need to be kicked.

We've been saying the same thing for a good few years now and yet there's only 2 or 3 of the same squad remaining from when the unrest appeared to have started.

Is the problem maybe the coaching staff? Do they make things too comfortable?

For the vast majority of Hibs players this will be the highest level they will play at in their careers. They should appreciate how lucky they are to be here but instead seem to take it for granted.

When this lot are emptied I hope we bring in some real hard working experienced professionals or youngsters with the desire to perform then move onto even bigger things.

In the meantime maybe it's time to have a clearout behind the scenes and for CC to bring in a whole new coaching setup for the first team?

He is finding it hard to find one with the money that is being made available to him. Petrie wont stump up, and he wont pay off the others.

smurf
09-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Obviously we have to be realistic but if this is true BoltonHibee then I am slightly concerned. However, I would have imagined that as part of his negotiations with the board prior to his appointment this would have been covered?

Diclonius
09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
He is finding it hard to find one with the money that is being made available to him. Petrie wont stump up, and he wont pay off the others.

I wonder how Petrie will justify this if we are relegated?

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I wonder how Petrie will justify this if we are relegated?

He appears to be accountable to no one when it comes to football matters. His managerial appointments are testimony to this.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Source?

Kaiser1962
09-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Do you honestly think being in a job for such a short time CC would tolerate this?
He dosent strike me as the type.

johnrebus
09-11-2010, 06:17 PM
It would not surprise me if CC is back on the phone to Chris Houghton asking for his old job back.

I really wouldn't blame him if he did.

:taxi

marinello59
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Hasn't CC already said that his original intention was to appoint somebody else who knows the Scottish game and then he realised that he would be getting exactly that from Gareth Evans and the rest of the existing staff?
Or did I imagine it and he really said he couldn't appoint somebody because of that tightwad Petrie?
Maybe the simple explanation is there is no rush really. :dunno:

snooky
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Still no news on an assistant manager I presume?.................

I propose Merlin.

1875 NO 1
09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
He wants his no 2 he had at Forrest.

Your correct RP won't fund this, according to CC's agent

vla_di_vla
09-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Anyone know who was in the dug out on Sunday. There was a skinny guy i didnt recognise. Mind you i've never been that close so he may always be there :dunno:

Kaiser1962
09-11-2010, 07:14 PM

If CC is as stupid to negotiate a job without even discussing staff then he is not the guy i am told he is. Very disappointed if true.

BEEJ
09-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Presumably you mean 'RP won't meet this candidate's current wage demands', rather than 'RP won't fund an Assistant Manager for CC'?

There's a big difference between those two statements.

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Do you honestly think being in a job for such a short time CC would tolerate this?
He dosent strike me as the type.

99 times out of 100 a manager will bring in his own man. He has been there, what 3 weeks? Do you not think it is very strange that this has not yet happened?

I would not have thought that he would have tolerated this, but then again maybe he was only concerned with his own salary:dunno:

WindyMiller
09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
99 times out of 100 a manager will bring in his own man. He has been there, what 3 weeks? Do you not think it is very strange that this has not yet happened?

I would not have thought that he would have tolerated this, but then again maybe he was only concerned with his own salary:dunno:

As far as I understand he took a drop in wages to come here.

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 09:43 PM
As far as I understand he took a drop in wages to come here.

Well I can tell you that is complete fabrication. He has increased his salary 3-4 times coming to ER. Hard to believe but true.

Kaiser1962
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
His reputation is that he is not a guy to mess around with and, having been looking to get back into management, he would know exactly what he's doing and have steps clearly marked out. If he has not appointed an assistanr till now I would think this is by design and maybe he's having a look at the whole set up.

He must have shat himself when he saw that shower of gutless pansies.

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 09:49 PM
His reputation is that he is not a guy to mess around with and, having been looking to get back into management, he would know exactly what he's doing and have steps clearly marked out. If he has not appointed an assistanr till now I would think this is by design and maybe he's having a look at the whole set up.

He must have shat himself when he saw that shower of gutless pansies.

:greengrin

You are not wrong, he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights!

DH1875
09-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Well I can tell you that is complete fabrication. He has increased his salary 3-4 times coming to ER. Hard to believe but true.

How do you work that out? Say he is on £2k a week, you saying he was only on £500 a week as an assistant manager in the EPL.

Graham Law
09-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Hey mate, good speaking to you on at the weekend again.

My usual contacts tell me he has someone but that this person is not available at present (talks ongoing) and he is willing to wait. I think this is sensible as he should surround himself with people he trusts as clearly the last few managers have failed on that basis!

This season is embarrassingly a right off already - end off!!

We won't go down - we won't finish top 6 - we won't make a cup final.... As hard a pill as it is to swallow (especially for the season ticket holders) this season will drizzle out to nothing come February time when the league shows us that unbelievable as it may seem just now, there are worse teams than Hibs in the league.

Graham

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
How do you work that out? Say he is on £2k a week, you saying he was only on £500 a week as an assistant manager in the EPL.

Nope, not saying that. He is not on £2k a week at ER.

BEEJ
09-11-2010, 10:48 PM
That's beginning to sound like it was part of RP's player/ coaching staff transfer policy this summer after having gone to the expense of 'releasing' a few players in the previous summer window of 2009.

However, RP might well consider releasing a few players in the January window when the cost of doing so will be down to 2- 3 months of salary rather than the 6- 7 months that may well have been needed in August.

Coming from an Assistant Manager post in the EPL, that seems remarkable.

What are we talking about here? £60k pa there to £200k pa here?

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
That's beginning to sound like it was part of RP's player/ coaching staff transfer policy this summer after having gone to the expense of 'releasing' a few players in the previous summer window of 2009.

However, RP might well consider releasing a few players in the January window when the cost of doing so will be down to 2- 3 months of salary rather than the 6- 7 months that may well have been needed in August.

Coming from an Assistant Manager post in the EPL, that seems remarkable.

What are we talking about here? £60k pa there to £200k pa here?

Remarkable, absolutely. Mike Ashley has really pulled the reigns in at NUFC. You are not a boot in the ba's away with those numbers.

Graham Law
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Remarkable, absolutely. Mike Ashley has really pulled the reigns in at NUFC. You are not a boot in the ba's away with those numbers.

He never had a contract at Newcastle!

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 11:25 PM

I never said he did, but he was being paid:wink: (read yer PM's)

Graham Law
09-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I never said he did, but he was being paid:wink: (read yer PM's)

Shut it! :greengrin

brydekirk
10-11-2010, 06:05 AM
at the end of the day nowt is gonna happen before january (with or without an assistant manager) and they lazy bassas we call our team will make sure of that.

Toaods
10-11-2010, 06:45 AM
There was a skinny, bald guy sitting in the back of the dug out. Never saw that at the game and I'm only 20 feet away, spotted it on the vidclip. Noticeably in CC's 7 minute interview on BBC website he answered a question as 'we' but the inference was the new we and not Garth or Stevenson.

greenlex
10-11-2010, 06:51 AM
The skinny bald guy us John Hendry. He is our new fitness guy. He took the warm up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gareth punted at the seasons end once CC and JH are vfamiliar with the rest of the teams in the SPL with Stevenson concentrating on the 19's.

CropleyWasGod
10-11-2010, 08:17 AM
The skinny bald guy us John Hendry. He is our new fitness guy. He took the warm up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gareth punted at the seasons end once CC and JH are vfamiliar with the rest of the teams in the SPL with Stevenson concentrating on the 19's.

JH?

Hate being out of the loop. (see Management Lingo thread)

WindyMiller
10-11-2010, 08:21 AM
JH?

Hate being out of the loop. (see Management Lingo thread)

The clue's in the first sentence.

:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
10-11-2010, 08:22 AM
What does an assistant manager at a football club do? Do we need one?

CropleyWasGod
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
The clue's in the first sentence.

:wink:

Beat it.

And make me a coffee on your way out the door....I need to wake up.

JimBHibees
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM

I would be amazed if that was the case and given Calderwood has managed at decent sized clubs in the past I dont think he would have taken on the job if he didnt get the assurance of being able to bring in his own. The bringing in of his own people is IMO imperative to the success or otherwise of CC's tenure. I would imagine any delay is likely to be that whoever he is interested in is already in another job and the club will want to get a replacement in before allowing to leave. David Kerslake for example is a coach at Watford. Hopefully this will be sorted out in the next couple of weeks maximum.

JimBHibees
10-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Was that the guy that was doing the half time warm up? Didnt think he was bald or skinny, maybe my eyes are going :greengrin

JimBHibees
10-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Probably the most important thing is give the manager a sounding board to discuss with someone he trusts without thinking he will then blab to the players. Another voice in the dressing room, play good cop bad cop thing. Take over training if manager isnt there and also reinforce what the manager is trying to do on the training pitch, formations etc. Venus was a pretty good assistant for Mowbray in that respect I think.

Lucius Apuleius
10-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Probably the most important thing is give the manager a sounding board to discuss with someone he trusts without thinking he will then blab to the players. Another voice in the dressing room, play good cop bad cop thing. Take over training if manager isnt there and also reinforce what the manager is trying to do on the training pitch, formations etc. Venus was a pretty good assistant for Mowbray in that respect I think.

What do the coaches do then Jim? maybe I am old fashioned (I am I am I am), but I don't see the huge need for one. A manager should be able to manage that number of staff without needing someone else, especially if he has coaches runnin the actual training I would have thought. We never had them in the old days that I can remember of. :greengrin

JimBHibees
10-11-2010, 09:12 AM
What do the coaches do then Jim? maybe I am old fashioned (I am I am I am), but I don't see the huge need for one. A manager should be able to manage that number of staff without needing someone else, especially if he has coaches runnin the actual training I would have thought. We never had them in the old days that I can remember of. :greengrin

I would assume the Assistant Manager would be one of the main coaches also depends how hands on coaching wise the actual manager is. I would have thought the need for another coach would be the position I dont really see the need for e.g apart from goalie and fitness work, manager and Assistant would take all or most of the training. I think it maybe reflects the growing power of the player than was the case in the good old days :greengrin

matty_f
10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Can we just do a logic test on this theory that Petrie won't pay for an assistant manager before everyone starts to assume it's fact?

Firstly, we know that Calderwood has been able to identify, and bring from another club, a fitness coach. A fairly non-essential, but beneficial role.

Also, every manager as far back as I can remember has been able to bring in an assistant manager, mostly ones that are already contracted to other clubs, as well.

Thirdly, Calderwood has been on record giving his stance on the Assistant Manager (i.e. not a priority, working on it, and a few things to iron out).

Why would Petrie stump up for a fitness coach but not an assistant?
Why would Petrie decide that Hibs would buck the trend (even their own trend) and not let the manager have an assistant?
Why would Calderwood lie about it?

WindyMiller
10-11-2010, 09:46 AM

So why has it been reported that we had to pay a 6 figure sum to release him?

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Colin-Calderwood-39coup39-can-establish.6587705.jp?articlepage=1

The Tubs
10-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Can we just do a logic test on this theory that Petrie won't pay for an assistant manager before everyone starts to assume it's fact?

Firstly, we know that Calderwood has been able to identify, and bring from another club, a fitness coach. A fairly non-essential, but beneficial role.

Also, every manager as far back as I can remember has been able to bring in an assistant manager, mostly ones that are already contracted to other clubs, as well.

Thirdly, Calderwood has been on record giving his stance on the Assistant Manager (i.e. not a priority, working on it, and a few things to iron out).

Why would Petrie decide that Hibs would buck the trend (even their own trend) and not let the manager have an assistant?

He's also been able to buy a dartboard.

matty_f
10-11-2010, 10:01 AM

About time, too.

marinello59
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Still no Twister or Buckaroo though.:grr:

Dr Jimmy
10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Was that the guy that was doing the half time warm up? Didnt think he was bald or skinny, maybe my eyes are going :greengrin

Depends who you are using for comparison ......:greengrin

truehibernian
10-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Not overly concerned regards an assistant and I don't think the fans should be either.

The buck stops completely with the manager. Stevenson, Evans, Thompson and McDonough are more than able to assist meantime, but I think we should also read into the fact that he has straight away employed a fitness coach as far more relevant (and beneficial). The team were unfit IMHO and I am glad that CC has only taken a couple of weeks to notice this and address it. It's clear even at this early stage that he wants his teams to play with width and be a little more direct. The fitness of the players was such that they would toil with this if not fully fit and up to speed. My only criticism's of CC so far is his playing of Derek up front on his own, especially against Bouzid, Zaliukas and Palazuelos. We didn't utilise Stevenson and Galbraith enough. Each time we did, we got in behind, or looked to get in behind. Again, when we did (De Graaf, Grounds, Stevenson from what I remember of Sunday), the final ball was poor but there was no one to aim for. Once certain players regain fitness and recover from injury I am quite hopeful we will improve.

As someone else pointed out, CC is on record as saying he wants an assistant, someone who knows the Scottish game, and I very much doubt that this did not enter into the equation when discussions were taking place when he was offered the job. The money will be there to get whoever he chooses/wants in my opinion.

SaudiHibby
10-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Gordon, you know fine well that Assistant Manager's the world over do all the work :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
10-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Gordon, you know fine well that Assistant Manager's the world over do all the work :wink:

:faf::greengrin I've only got ten of them!!!!! :greengrin

HibeeB
10-11-2010, 12:04 PM
A guy who works at ER told me that Billy Dodds will be the assistant manager.

I said I wasn't convinced but he said it will happen. Might not be for a few weeks but Doddsy is the man.

Personally I think his name was mentioned just because he has become available. But if it turns out to be true..................

You heard it here first :greengrin

basil fawlty
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Takes over the team when the manager is sacked:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
10-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Takes over the team when the manager is sacked:greengrin

Not always :-)

The_Horde
10-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Not always :-)

Thank the lord.

ancienthibby
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
A guy who works at ER told me that Billy Dodds will be the assistant manager.

I said I wasn't convinced but he said it will happen. Might not be for a few weeks but Doddsy is the man.

Personally I think his name was mentioned just because he has become available. But if it turns out to be true..................

You heard it here first :greengrin

LTYF:taxi

BoltonHibee
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Matty, I don't think anyone is saying that he is not allowed one, but perhaps the money that has been on offer so far for one has not been that enticing......

Darth Hibbie
10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Is he maybe considering an assistant/player and having to wait for the jan transfer window to bring him in?

Springbank
10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
LTYF:taxi

I'm no psychologist, but if the poster calling themselves HibeeB turns out to be a Jambo I'll be 1) surprised and 2) fascinated to know what's going on inside their head...

ancienthibby
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Trust you have already sent congratulations to DA and your apologies to CC!:greengrin

The_Exile
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Think he must have to get Adams, no apology needed, the tache will be round to boot you in due course :greengrin

Yours sincerely
Rod

HibeeB
11-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm no psychologist, but if the poster calling themselves HibeeB turns out to be a Jambo I'll be 1) surprised and 2) fascinated to know what's going on inside their head...

Even though I'm not a Jambo you wouldn't want to know what is going on inside my head :bitchy:

The guy that told me about Billy Dodds turns out to be a mate of his and (I assume) it was just wishful thinking. Delighted with DA though :thumbsup: