PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why we are certified relegation candidates

patlowe
09-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I've been bored on my lunch break so have tried to think of reasons why we may or may not get relegated. I've come to the conclusion that there is not one area of the side in which we are we too good to go down, for the following reasons:

1. We are a soft touch and for the first time in 10 years, we do not have the attacking prowess to compensate. Although this has been a problem since McLeish left, at least we've always had a goalscoring threat in that time. Now there is nothing beyond Deek and, lets be honest, he's likely to do diddly squat while our players lack the ability to give him the ball in dangerous positions.

2. The team lacks a physical presence and subsequently, does not pose a threat at set pieces. St Mirren (likely to be our main rivals for 11th) are willing to mix it up and will get their fair share of your typical SPL goals, hibs will not.

3. There is no pace in the team. Credit where it's due, Templeton's run and finish was a decent example of pace allied with skill. Galbraith is quick but is clearly not yet ready at this level. Wotherspoon can run with the ball but he's not the type to get beyond defences. Pace and power are hugely important in the SPL and teams capable of getting to the byeline and crossing seem to be flourishing (Hearts, Motherwell, Killie).

4. There is no leadership in the team. Bamba should be taking on this role at the back and dragging players like Hanlon through games but instead he displays an increasing lack of maturity and takes very little responsibility. Liam Miller has the ability to run games but he does not have the mentality to do so. It doesn't help that when he gets possession there is absolutely NO-ONE looking for the ball (see 5). Don't get me started on Riordan's demonstration of "leadership".

5. There is no confidence in the team. This is demonstrated by the lack of movement when we have the ball. No-one is willing to put their head on the line by making intelligent runs and taking the ball in dangerous areas. Hibs are, I'm afraid, a bunch of hiders.

6. Last but not least, there is simply a lack of ability in the hibs side. Riordan, Miller and Wotherspoon can do the simple task of controlling and passing the ball to an adequate standard. Can the same be said for anyone else that appeared on Sunday? Having said that, I still would not describe those three as being particularly creative. Lack of ability, pace, strength, leadership and goalscoring threat = relegation candidates.

Reasons for optimism:
1. Zemmama and Duffy might just provide that little bit of pace and creative spark that can lift you above the also-rans in the SPL. When are they back though? And if Zouma returns in the middle of winter, is he the type of player that Calderwood will pitch in during a cold relegation battle?

2. St Mirren are gash.

3. IF we stay up, CC will have the luxury of building his own squad almost entirely. He should be able to identify the weaknesses (of which there are many) and bring in decent replacements (hooefully high in quality, not quantity).

4. League reconstruction. Could we be saved by the latest farcical SPL revamp?

son of haggart
09-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I've been bored on my lunch break so have tried to think of reasons why we may or may not get relegated. I've come to the conclusion that there is not one area of the side in which we are we too good to go down, for the following reasons:

1. We are a soft touch and for the first time in 10 years, we do not have the attacking prowess to compensate. Although this has been a problem since McLeish left, at least we've always had a goalscoring threat in that time. Now there is nothing beyond Deek and, lets be honest, he's likely to do diddly squat while our players lack the ability to give him the ball in dangerous positions.

2. The team lacks a physical presence and subsequently, does not pose a threat at set pieces. St Mirren (likely to be our main rivals for 11th) are willing to mix it up and will get their fair share of your typical SPL goals, hibs will not.

3. There is no pace in the team. Credit where it's due, Templeton's run and finish was a decent example of pace allied with skill. Galbraith is quick but is clearly not yet ready at this level. Wotherspoon can run with the ball but he's not the type to get beyond defences. Pace and power are hugely important in the SPL and teams capable of getting to the byeline and crossing seem to be flourishing (Hearts, Motherwell, Killie).

4. There is no leadership in the team. Bamba should be taking on this role at the back and dragging players like Hanlon through games but instead he displays an increasing lack of maturity and takes very little responsibility. Liam Miller has the ability to run games but he does not have the mentality to do so. It doesn't help that when he gets possession there is absolutely NO-ONE looking for the ball (see 5). Don't get me started on Riordan's demonstration of "leadership".

5. There is no confidence in the team. This is demonstrated by the lack of movement when we have the ball. No-one is willing to put their head on the line by making intelligent runs and taking the ball in dangerous areas. Hibs are, I'm afraid, a bunch of hiders.

6. Last but not least, there is simply a lack of ability in the hibs side. Riordan, Miller and Wotherspoon can do the simple task of controlling and passing the ball to an adequate standard. Can the same be said for anyone else that appeared on Sunday? Having said that, I still would not describe those three as being particularly creative. Lack of ability, pace, strength, leadership and goalscoring threat = relegation candidates.

Reasons for optimism:
1. Zemmama and Duffy might just provide that little bit of pace and creative spark that can lift you above the also-rans in the SPL. When are they back though? And if Zouma returns in the middle of winter, is he the type of player that Calderwood will pitch in during a cold relegation battle?

2. St Mirren are gash.

3. IF we stay up, CC will have the luxury of building his own squad almost entirely. He should be able to identify the weaknesses (of which there are many) and bring in decent replacements (hooefully high in quality, not quantity).

The thing that has struck me in the games I have watched Hibs recently (all on the telly) was a lack of width. You mention teams getting to the byeline - hard to see who at Hibs presents that threat.

Speedway
09-11-2010, 02:19 PM
The thing that has struck me in the games I have watched Hibs recently (all on the telly) was a lack of width. You mention teams getting to the byeline - hard to see who at Hibs presents that threat.

It's supposed to be Galbraith and Zoumer. One's scared and the other's injured.

George Clooney
09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
More blame to Yogi for that.
The pitch is nearly 5 yards wider than last season, but we played with our narrowest midfield in my memory.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 03:49 PM
The pitch is nearly 5 yards wider than last season, but we played with our narrowest midfield in my memory.

:agree::agree: Extraordinary! Almost ridiculous in fact. Other teams must love it.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Reasons for optimism:

2. St Mirren are gash.

Good post, agree a lot of it, but wouldn't see St Mirren are gash as being a reason for optimism, they brushed us aside last time and we were bloody luck to get anything from them the 2 times I seen us against them last season, they are not as soft a touch as we are and they will make up for their shortcomings by geting stuck in as a team, we do not do that..

League construction :bitchy: nah, doubt the establishment are going to do us any favours, probably boot us out in advance after Sundays behaviour!

new malkyhib
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Reasons for optimism:

2. St Mirren are gash.

Some good points there, on the last point though, if we, or any other team finish bottom, then that team should go down - league reconstruction or no...

Craig_in_Prague
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Reasons for optimism:

2. St Mirren are gash.

I'd love to be able to disagree with all your points (especially on our team), but I'm afraid its a :top marks

Can we not have this sent to CC. He probably is aware of all these things, but we've seen it all this calendar year.
He has a helluva job IMO.
The point 3 in the reasons for optimism, is very comferting.

The whole squad can get re-shaped under CC, and I do trust him.

steviedonx
19-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Reasons for optimism:

2. St Mirren are gash.

Reason 5. Should get another six points off Rangers

jonny
20-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Did you no-one here see the last 2 games? :confused:

Granted over the piece we've been quite poor but in the last 2 games CC seems to have the team better organised and playing some decent stuff. I'll address your points - taking the last couple of matches into consideration.

1. 2 goals from midfield and one from defence against Rangers. 2 goals from our hero against Well.

2. Bamba, Dickoh, Murray, Trakys, De Graaf (to an extent)

3. Can't argue that one. Although other than Murray - who has been fantastic IMO since his return none of our players are total slouches, perhaps De Graaf is a bit slow but Bamba, Grounds and Hart all have a decent turn, Rankin is quite nimble as well.

4. Ian Murray, Trakys - Murray has shown what a good leader he is and led by example in the last 2 games. Trakys seems to lead the line up top quite well and uses his strength the way he should. IMO Miller has looked a different player since Murray returned and is showing much more of his creative side.

5. No confidence? 0-3 at Ibrox and a good win over Well have certainly halped with that. Granted when things are not going great we do have a few "hiders". There is a small core that never hide regardless of performance though, Rankin is the perfect example.

6. I think when playing well and organised by a decent tactician we have one of the most able teams in the league. You just have to look at the pedigree of where some of our squad have played. Brown, Riordan, Miller, De Graaf, Galbraith (who I agree isnt quite ready yet but is a fantastic potential), Grounds, Dickoh, Bamba, Wotherspoon, Hanlon have all played at a high level or are internationalists.

Overall, I can understand a lot of where your coming from but I'm an eternal optimist and am one of those who think Hibs are going to win every game - even when we are 2 goals down in the 85th minute I always still think we can do it.
I reckon we should be looking at catching the teams above us as opposed to looking below us. IMO 3rd place is still realistic. 4 wins in our next 5 games puts us right back in the mix.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2010, 09:22 AM

You're reading a thread which was written in the aftermath of the Hearts game, so, no, no-one had seen the last two games! :wink:

jdships
20-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Granted over the piece we've been quite poor but in the last 2 games CC seems to have the team better organised and playing some decent stuff. I'll address your points - taking the last couple of matches into consideration.

1. 2 goals from midfield and one from defence against Rangers. 2 goals from our hero against Well.

2. Bamba, Dickoh, Murray, Trakys, De Graaf (to an extent)

3. Can't argue that one. Although other than Murray - who has been fantastic IMO since his return none of our players are total slouches, perhaps De Graaf is a bit slow but Bamba, Grounds and Hart all have a decent turn, Rankin is quite nimble as well.

4. Ian Murray, Trakys - Murray has shown what a good leader he is and led by example in the last 2 games. Trakys seems to lead the line up top quite well and uses his strength the way he should. IMO Miller has looked a different player since Murray returned and is showing much more of his creative side.

5. No confidence? 0-3 at Ibrox and a good win over Well have certainly halped with that. Granted when things are not going great we do have a few "hiders". There is a small core that never hide regardless of performance though, Rankin is the perfect example.

6. I think when playing well and organised by a decent tactician we have one of the most able teams in the league. You just have to look at the pedigree of where some of our squad have played. Brown, Riordan, Miller, De Graaf, Galbraith (who I agree isnt quite ready yet but is a fantastic potential), Grounds, Dickoh, Bamba, Wotherspoon, Hanlon have all played at a high level or are internationalists.

Overall, I can understand a lot of where your coming from but I'm an eternal optimist and am one of those who think Hibs are going to win every game - even when we are 2 goals down in the 85th minute I always still think we can do it.
I reckon we should be looking at catching the teams above us as opposed to looking below us. IMO 3rd place is still realistic. 4 wins in our next 5 games puts us right back in the mix.

Can see where you are coming from with your post but as I have written several times lately " Why all this continued negativity " ?
For goodness sake lets be POSITIVE :rolleyes:
The highlighted part of your post says it all for me :agree:

:flag:

BEEJ
20-11-2010, 10:06 AM
[/B][/I][/U]

Can see where you are coming from with your post but as I have written several times lately " Why all this continued negativity " ?
For goodness sake lets be POSITIVE :rolleyes:
The highlighted part of your post says it all for me :agree:

:flag:
Check the date when the thread was started.

Day before the Ibrox fixture. :wink:

marinello59
20-11-2010, 10:11 AM
You're reading a thread which was written in the aftermath of the Hearts game, so, no, no-one had seen the last two games! :wink:

I've recorded them and don't know the scores yet. Don't spoil it for me. :agree:

Sack the board, sack the manager, sell the players, stone the ticket office staff, send the catering staff to a penal colony and take Tam McCourts initialled track suit away. :grr:

Hibbyradge
20-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I've recorded them and don't know the scores yet. Don't spoil it for me. :agree:

Sack the board, sack the manager, sell the players, stone the ticket office staff, send the catering staff to a penal colony and take Tam McCourts initialled track suit away. :grr:

Did Rod Petire go to Celtc then?

jonny
20-11-2010, 10:19 AM

:taxi for me.

Still, I think my points taking the last couple of games into account are valid and highlight the difference in the players mentality.
The race for 3rd is now on and I reckon we're going to be a big part of it.

jdships
20-11-2010, 10:26 AM

But it was still being discussed and commented on at 9.13 a.m. this morning ( Saturday ) just before I posted !!
:greengrin:wink::wink:

Phil D. Rolls
20-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Im sure Yogi told the players - perhaps by telepathy.