PDA

View Full Version : hibs supporters

AgentDaleCooper
09-11-2010, 10:11 AM
would you say we are 'supporting' them in the literal sense of the word?

whenever i've taken friends to games, they ALWAYS comment about how quickly we stop singing songs, i.e. as soon as things stop going our way, and remain that way for most of the game.

i'd say, collectively, we're pretty similar to the the players - there's no fight, no will to lift spirits when things aren't going our way.

i'm not saying it's the fans' fault, i'm just saying that realistically, we're not actually helping (i.e. supporting) our team, other than the money we pay to get in.

just a thought, que lots of "ah pay mah money, ahl shout at them if ah want" posts...

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
would you say we are 'supporting' them in the literal sense of the word?

whenever i've taken friends to games, they ALWAYS comment about how quickly we stop singing songs, i.e. as soon as things stop going our way, and remain that way for most of the game.

i'd say, collectively, we're pretty similar to the the players - there's no fight, no will to lift spirits when things aren't going our way.

i'm not saying it's the fans' fault, i'm just saying that realistically, we're not actually helping (i.e. supporting) our team, other than the money we pay to get in.

just a thought, que lots of "ah pay mah money, ahl shout at them if ah want" posts...

We get the team we deserve and vice versa.

Fans are worn down by years of mediocrity and disappointment, punctuated by the occassional glory and sensation, with the promise of a brighter tomorrow.

But I'll be there - observing from my seat in the Library (aka West Upper) on Saturday.

AgentDaleCooper
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
We get the team we deserve and vice versa.

Fans are worn down by years of mediocrity and disappointment, punctuated by the occassional glory and sensation, with the promise of a brighter tomorrow.

But I'll be there - observing from my seat in the Library (aka West Upper) on Saturday.

fair enough:agree:

MacBean
09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Have to agree it was like a morgue in the East Stand on Sunday after Hearts scored and there was ltitle to no effort to lift the team.

There was actually a fight about to break out between two fans in the row infront of me. A gent in his mid-late 20's was singing the whole game, belting out songs even if he was on his own, then at half time decided that he wanted to give Yogi a barrel of abuse for the sh*t he's left us in. Which lets be honest is perfectly acceptable and i believe there will have been several others too.

Then a gent, late 40's early 50's started giving him abuse for slating the team. This younger gent had not been doing anything wrong , in fact was being a lot more constructive than a lot of supporters around him, other than shouting at our ex manager, which i think everyone agrees has left us with a pile of sh*te.
They had a breif exchange of words with the elder gent being a lot more volatile and quite frankly over the top for no reason at all. the younger chap told him to shut up and started singing Hail Hail. The elder gent took his jacket off, went down a level of seats ran up to the guy and probably would have lamped the guy had it not been for 3 or 4 people stopping him.

Fickle and very embarrasing to see and i can guarentee the older guy will feel like an absolute f*nny as he was completely out of line and had no idea WTF he was doing!!

There were 3 kids right beside me all crying like mad and screaming at this.

Okay we can all have passion and get heated in these games but this elder gentlemans behaviour completely baffled me as if he was looking for a fight and any hibee willing to give him a wee bit of a taunt would do. absolutely shocking behaviour from an apparent elder who should be setting an example to the young kids around him.

The Godfather
09-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Have to agree it was like a morgue in the East Stand on Sunday after Hearts scored and there was ltitle to no effort to lift the team.

There was actually a fight about to break out between two fans in the row infront of me. A gent in his mid-late 20's was singing the whole game, belting out songs even if he was on his own, then at half time decided that he wanted to give Yogi a barrel of abuse for the sh*t he's left us in.

Then a gent, late 40's early 50's started giving him abuse for slating the team. This younger gent had not been doing anything wrong , in fact was doing a lot more constructive than a lot of supporters around him, other than shouting at our ex manager, which i think everyone agrees has left us with a pile of sh*te.
They had a breif exchange of words with the elder gent being a lot more volatile and quite frankly over the top for no reason at all. the younger chap told him to shut up and started singing Hail Hail. The elder gent took his jacket off, went down a level of seats ran up to the guy and probably would have lamped the guy had it not been for 3 or 4 people stopping him.

Fickle and very embarrasing to see and i can guarentee the older guy will feel like an absolute f*nny as he was completely out of line and had no idea WTF he was doing!!

Okay we can all have passion and get heated in these games but this elder gentlemans behaviour completely baffled me as if he was looking for a fight and any hibee willing to give him a wee bit of a taunt would do. absolutely shocking behaviour from an apparent elder who should be setting an example to the young kids around him.

You are 100% correct I was just sitting along from this and the older gent was an idiot. I have to say that the whole day was a let down from the teams lack of fight (Stevenson aside) to the hibs fans heading for the door after they scored their second. As much as the team need to have a look at themselves we the fans must also have a hard think about WTF we are doing.

We need to get behind the team 100% or chose something else to do on a matchday.

Vini1875
09-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I think we are no different from any other fans in the league. From what I can see at games home and away, if we were to be singing all through the game we would be unique.

I think apart from the teams performances, there is a lack of decent songs to sing, which is a bit of a reflection on the pop charts where a lot tunes came from. It is quite hard to think of any tunes at the moment in the charts that could have words added to them to turn them into football songs, which is why we are still singing songs from the sixties and seventies.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I think we are no different from any other fans in the league. From what I can see at games home and away, if we were to be singing all through the game we would be unique.

I think apart from the teams performances, there is a lack of decent songs to sing, which is a bit of a reflection on the pop charts where a lot tunes came from. It is quite hard to think of any tunes at the moment in the charts that could have words added to them to turn them into football songs, which is why we are still singing songs from the sixties and seventies.

And we hate Dundee cos it rhymes with FC!:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 12:19 PM

There was actually a fight about to break out between two fans in the row infront of me. A gent in his mid-late 20's was singing the whole game, belting out songs even if he was on his own, then at half time decided that he wanted to give Yogi a barrel of abuse for the sh*t he's left us in. Which lets be honest is perfectly acceptable and i believe there will have been several others too.

Then a gent, late 40's early 50's started giving him abuse for slating the team. This younger gent had not been doing anything wrong , in fact was being a lot more constructive than a lot of supporters around him, other than shouting at our ex manager, which i think everyone agrees has left us with a pile of sh*te.

Not disputing that the older guy was a tube, however what were the 3 kids doing there when there are so many free seats in the FF lower?

The East has always been robust, IMO anyone that goes in there knows what they are getting into.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Not disputing that the older guy was a tube, however what were the 3 kids doing there when there are so many free seats in the FF lower?

The East has always been robust, IMO anyone that goes in there knows what they are getting into.

The FF Lower is not sold as a family stand. (at the moment.) The whole stadium is supposed to be family friendly isn't it? Anybody that can't curb their violent behaviour in front of kids shouldn't be in the ground in the first place.

bawheid
09-11-2010, 12:31 PM
If we go down, we go down as a club...fans and all.

The fans have been on the players' backs since almost the first kick of the season. You get what you deserve in life.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 12:33 PM

The fans have been on the players' backs since almost the first kick of the season. You get what you deserve in life.
:agree:

K.Marx
09-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Up until Hearts first goal I thought the Easties in Sections 43-45 were doing a great job, even pre match there was plenty of singing which is a rare occassion now even at derby matches. Atmosphere died when it became apparent that we could play all day without scoring and Hearts were going to stroll the game.

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Up until Hearts first goal I thought the Easties in Sections 43-45 were doing a great job, even pre match there was plenty of singing which is a rare occassion now even at derby matches. Atmosphere died when it became apparent that we could play all day without scoring and Hearts were going to stroll the game.

The minute the Yams drowned out Sunshine on Leith, I was less than impressed by the noise we made. When will the penny drop about that song?

scotty1875
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
The minute the Yams drowned out Sunshine on Leith, I was less than impressed by the noise we made. When will the penny drop about that song?

I think Sunshine On Leith is a good song but should only be played when the team comes out at half time. When it was played against AEK at ER the chorus around the stadium was deafening - largely due to the atmosphere created in response to watching a skilful footballing team back then.

superfurryhibby
09-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure what levels of "support" people could hope for from the fans? The numbers turning out for games against the likes of Killie, Hamilton etc definitely show that there is a committment and loyalty. Not so long ago attendences for these type of games would have been a lot less than they are now.

I cannae get the getting the team we deserve nonsense that a few posters have stated, How come? Is it some kind of football karma scenario that is envisaged here? Given the sickening exodus of any worthwhile talent from Easter Road over the past few years I would actually commend the fans for sticking with the team and supporting in the numbers that we have done.

Muppets wanting to fight with those objecting to their views is hardly a new thing and anyone with common sense might anticipate that the East, on a derby day, may not be the best place to take their bairns. Not like there was a shortage of seats elsewhere.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 01:35 PM
:agree:
It just doesn't work as a pre match song. A three minute song which the majority only sing two lines of with any gusto, far too easily drowned out.

Jack
09-11-2010, 02:18 PM

It’s a two way thing though isn't it?

The players ‘feed’ the fans and the fans ‘feed’ the players.

We’ve been served up some dreadful fare over the last few months and I think that’s just sucked the enthusiasm out of the support.

One decent game, half a decent game, from the players and the support will respond, IMO.

Lofarl
09-11-2010, 02:58 PM
It’s a two way thing though isn't it?

The players ‘feed’ the fans and the fans ‘feed’ the players.

We’ve been served up some dreadful fare over the last few months and I think that’s just sucked the enthusiasm out of the support.

One decent game, half a decent game, from the players and the support will respond, IMO.

Exactly I mean when was the last time at ER that you thought Hibs played fantastic football for 90 mins? For me it was around last Nov versus Motherwell, where we played some nice stuff.

The rest of the time Hibs have been average at best and total rank rotten most of the time. Away games are different though.

RIP
09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
The Hibs12thMan is up to 550 supporters now and the vast majority sit in Sections 42 through 45. Although the first goal knocked the wind out of most of us by the second half the singing had restarted, We were on top both on the park and off it when they scored their second

We are trying to build a singing section that survives any result. It's early days but I see signs of optimism, We had 4 flags/banners, plenty Hibs strips and scarves in there on Sunday. More fans every game are moving over to sit there

If you want to spectate you can sit anywhere. But the only part of the ground where you can stand, sing and actively cheer on the Boys In Green without folk looking at you like you have two heids is the Singing Section

The Harp
10-11-2010, 12:14 AM

I felt it was played just too early. IIRC it must've been about 10 - 15minutes before the teams came out when a lot of fans were still entering the ground.
Did you think the Yams drowned it out? Didn't sound like it from my seat at the back of the upper FF.

ahibby
10-11-2010, 01:31 PM
C'mon let's be having ye! They're coming to take you away, you know. Fans are too busy cringing and worrying about our situation to be singing. Who sings when they are uttlerly p****** off? That's a recipe for the looney bin mate.