PDA

View Full Version : We're too good to go down.......

Jim44
09-11-2010, 08:41 AM
So says Hibs superhero Edwin De Graff. What a clown. :bitchy: If any more of our players remotely agree with this guy, they are in for a rude awakening. Jackie MacNamara Snr. has a real go at the team in the paper this morning. reminding us that when we were relegated in 1980 we had lots of quality players (certainly better than the lot we have just now) but couldn't deal with the situation.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
No team is too good to go down.

You don't 'win' relegation scraps with the quality of your team on paper (and ours isn't that good anyway), you get out of trouble by digging deep, fighting for each other and scraping together as many points as you possibly can.

Do i think Hibs currently have the players capable of doing any of those things? No, and i hope CC doesn't think so either. We need players in january and between now and then we just have to make sure we don't get cast adrift.

I sincerely hope that the rest of the dressing room doesn't share De Graafs view although given their recent efforts i suspect they do.

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Agree prettyboy, but it's also what's in the players heads and how they deal with certain match situations.

This season alone I have counted five or six situations in games where they could be described as not only "game changing" but you could physically see the whole side dwell on them, heads down, and not shaking it out their system.

De Graaf's misses v Rangers and Killie are two, both games poised and there for Hibs to win. Riordan missing the pen v Caley at 1-0, Rankin likewise at Utd. The first goal on Sunday.

You can see the energy, desire and confidence literally drain in front of your eyes. And that is during the game. As Lewis Stevenson said after the game, "no confidence". That is what gets team relegated, despite the skill and quality you have on paper. Confidence, desire, workrate and ability all combined are what keeps teams up. You make your own luck too.

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 09:14 AM
That is really worrying to hear. Everyone at the club better get used to the fact we are deep in trouble.

Dirkster23
09-11-2010, 09:50 AM
So says Hibs superhero Edwin De Graff. What a clown. :bitchy: If any more of our players remotely agree with this guy, they are in for a rude awakening. Jackie MacNamara Snr. has a real go at the team in the paper this morning. reminding us that when we were relegated in 1980 we had lots of quality players (certainly better than the lot we have just now) but couldn't deal with the situation.

What would you rather he said? "We're *****e and dead certs to be relegated!". If he said that you'd be on here moaning he was negative :bitchy:

Pretty Boy
09-11-2010, 09:55 AM
What would you rather he said? "We're *****e and dead certs to be relegated!". If he said that you'd be on here moaning he was negative :bitchy:

I think most people want someone within the playing staff at ER to acknowledge we are in bother. We have already had Ian Murray mouthing off about how 'the league table does lie' and accuse the fans of turning everything into a crisis. We now have this nonsense from De Graaf.

No one wants downright negativity but a simple 'We realise the situation we are in, the club and fans deserve better and we as players are going to fight to make sure we get out of this current predicament' is a damm sight better than the complete and utter denial currently coming out of the dressing room at ER.

TornadoHibby
09-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Definately not but how's about something like "We know we are in trouble in terms of our league position right now but we are aware that the only way we are going to get out of the bottom half of the league is to work harder at everything we do in training and in games, support our team-mates at all times but especially in games and above all, never stop trying 100% effort wise however badly we might be playing"! :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 10:00 AM

I think the most recent example of this "too good to go down" stuff was Newcastle United. Like us in 80 and 98, it took them too long to realise the trouble they were in.

The fact is we have to start approaching games prepared to scrap for 0-0 draws. At the moment - with the players we have - I think the most important thing is just to stay in touch with our rivals for the drop.

If we don't get cast adrift, then I would hope we could bring in new players in January who are of a better quality than our opponents have. However, if we don't fight now, there will be no point as we'll be dead and buried.

Jim44
09-11-2010, 10:01 AM

I think most people want someone within the playing staff at ER to acknowledge we are in bother. We have already had Ian Murray mouthing off about how 'the league table does lie' and accuse the fans of turning everything into a crisis. We now have this nonsense from De Graaf.

No one wants downright negativity but a simple 'We realise the situation we are in, the club and fans deserve better and we as players are going to fight to make sure we get out of this current predicament' is a damm sight better than the complete and utter denial currently coming out of the dressing room at ER.

Definately not but how's about something like "We know we are in trouble in terms of our league position right now but we are aware that the only way we are going to get out of the bottom half of the league is to work harder at everything we do in training and in games, support our team-mates at all times but especially in games and above all, never stop trying 100% effort wise however badly we might be playing"! :dunno:

:agree: Ditto.

Hakim Sar
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
This is a worrying attitude to hear especially from one of our poorer players. Arrogance will not keep us up this year we need battlers not bottlers that pussy foot around games and shirk tackles like Liam miller.

De graaf should just shut up and get the sleeves rolled up

MrHibs1982
09-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Of course we're too good to go down, if we signed up a couple of forwards like that Irish lad from Celtic, stokes, and that Moroccan I've heard so much about - benji i think he's called then the team is almost good enough to be in 2nd place in the league isn't it...or was I dreaming when we had that squad and we were doing so well......??!! very:confused:

Dirkster23
09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
No team is too good to go down.

You don't 'win' relegation scraps with the quality of your team on paper (and ours isn't that good anyway), you get out of trouble by digging deep, fighting for each other and scraping together as many points as you possibly can.

Do i think Hibs currently have the players capable of doing any of those things? No, and i hope CC doesn't think so either. We need players in january and between now and then we just have to make sure we don't get cast adrift.

I sincerely hope that the rest of the dressing room doesn't share De Graafs view although given their recent efforts i suspect they do.

The OP starts of by saying "So says Hibs superhero Edwin De Graaf. What a clown.

A bit over the top, no? Was he asked "are Hibs to good to go down?" and he replied yes?

Here's his interview with Scotsman where he says all the thing people hoped he would say.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/De-Graaf-says-Hibees-must.6617130.jp

Poor show IMO when a Hibs player is slated for trying to be positive about things

PeeJay
09-11-2010, 11:11 AM
The OP starts of by saying "So says Hibs superhero Edwin De Graaf. What a clown.

A bit over the top, no? Was he asked "are Hibs to good to go down?" and he replied yes?

Here's his interview with Scotsman where he says all the thing people hoped he would say.

Poor show IMO when a Hibs player is slated for trying to be positive about things
Good post: puts a different slant on the "original statement" altogether.

bawheid
09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
So did De Graaf actually say "we're too good to go down" or is it all in Jackie MacNamara's and the OP's head?

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Good post: puts a different slant on the "original statement" altogether.

:agree:

I wish I had engaged my brain before criticising De Graaf. If I had seen the article, there is no way I'd criticise him when he says things like this:

"We know from each other that we can play good football and that we have a good team but, like every other club who is down there in the league, you have to work really hard for every point.

The OP clearly read the article a different way, but it doesn't sound like someone saying we are too good to go down, to me anyway.

Jim44
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
So did De Graaf actually say "we're too good to go down" or is it all in Jackie MacNamara's and the OP's head?

I've got to admit that I did not read the original interview. My response was to what I read today....'McNamara dismissed De Graff's claim that there is too much quality in the team for them to be demoted.' These words do not appear in what was published in yesterday's De Graff interview but I'd be surprised if McNamara invented them as he is solid Hibs man and his observations are in the interests of HFC.

Septimus
09-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Looks like we are depending on some other team to be worse than we are and that is hardly a comfortable position to be in. We have players who have technical ability but they lack bottle. This is a ludicrous situation for a team with Hib's financial backing to be in and can only be blamed on rank bad management. Whatever happens we have to give CC a fair go at the problem and accept the fact that things may get very much worse than they are at present.

For what it is worth I don't think we will go down but it is a worrying situation.

Dirkster23
09-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I've got to admit that I did not read the original interview. My response was to what I read today....'McNamara dismissed De Graff's claim that there is too much quality in the team for them to be demoted.' These words do not appear in what was published in yesterday's De Graff interview but I'd be surprised if McNamara invented them as he is solid Hibs man and his observations are in the interests of HFC.

Probably would have been better to read it before labelling him a super hero and a clown :bitchy:

Jim44
09-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Probably would have been better to read it before labelling him a super hero and a clown :bitchy:

Oh the remorse is crippling me. :greengrin I still think that somewhere along the line De Graff has said something that quite a few of our players and supporters stupidly believe.

Hermit Crab
09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I quite like De Graff :duck: i think his performance at UTD was excellent although he couldnt really get into Sundays game along with many other Hibs players. We have to remember it filters from the terraces to the players at matches if things arent going our way the moans n groans start which is normal but instead of moaning we could try to encourage the players instead of hurling personal abuse at them about how good or bad they may be, it does affect everyones confidence not just the player on the receiving end and it must hurt badly but continued abuse and rants wont help anybody.

I cant help thinking that when the players come out that tunnel tomorrow night and see maybe 200-300 fans in that corner for away fans at Ibrox vastly outnumbered by 49,000 blood thirsty for success Rangers fans the game will be lost before a ball is kicked.

Cmon Hibs we can take something from Ibrox, even if it is just pride a spirited performance full of fight and determination would be more than welcome i dont mind losing aslong as 100% effort is given GGTTH:scarf:

greenlex
09-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I think the most recent example of this "too good to go down" stuff was Newcastle United. Like us in 80 and 98, it took them too long to realise the trouble they were in.

The fact is we have to start approaching games prepared to scrap for 0-0 draws. At the moment - with the players we have - I think the most important thing is just to stay in touch with our rivals for the drop.

If we don't get cast adrift, then I would hope we could bring in new players in January who are of a better quality than our opponents have. However, if we don't fight now, there will be no point as we'll be dead and buried.
I think we have the manager to do this. He will eventually get the players onside and organised. We wont go down. Folks need to calm down. If we are still in a scrap come February start worrying.

HibbyAndy
09-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Hibs basically start 0-1 down every game as we are incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

Worrying times.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Why? explain what it is that sets us apart from the others, Jesus Christ, it will need to be a bloody good story to stack up that statement,.

Alfred E Newman
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Read the article and he is quoted as saying we are too good to be at the foot of the league. :confused: He also says when we play St Mirren and Dundee Unt we are the better team . Oh aye? He says we must try harder . This guff is coming from someone who has hardly made a tackle since he came here , never mind winning a 50- 50 tackle.

Craig_in_Prague
09-11-2010, 07:28 PM
We leak too many goals and don't score near enough.

= relegation dog fight with St Mirren, a team that has also beat us.

:rolleyes:

marinello59
09-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I reckon we are the worst team in the league at the moment. However I do think we will see the right type of players brought in during the transfer window to battle and keep us up. The football may well be honking though but if we are still in the SPL next season I for one wouldn't care.

Aldo
09-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Anyone on here who thinks we are too good to go down needs to get back to the Andrew Duncan.

Just take a look at that gutless performance on Sunday afternoon. No pride, no fight no nothing.

The only thing I think we can hope for is a couple of results before Xmas and hopefully CC can bring in a few loanees to bolster the team.

O and Andy yir spot on mate...one nil down every week cos were are ***** at the back.