PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

hibee bouncer
09-11-2010, 07:27 AM
For starters........give him the arm band and a first team slot! We're not blessed with the best of squads right now and it'll be a fighting attitude that keeps us safe. Guessing he'll be hurting as much as the fans so hopefully he gives everyone a boot up the ar£e in training and installs a bit of passion into the team.

erin-go-bragh87
09-11-2010, 07:41 AM
For starters........give him the arm band and a first team slot! We're not blessed with the best of squads right now and it'll be a fighting attitude that keeps us safe. Guessing he'll be hurting as much as the fans so hopefully he gives everyone a boot up the ar£e in training and installs a bit of passion into the team.

:top marks

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 08:06 AM
For me, captains wouldn't want to sit in a pub an hour an a half after the game where we have lost to our bitter rivals. But hey that's just me. All about pride and how much I hurt, even as a fan.

No one in that squad is captain material. They are all bottlers who have a psychological weakness when it comes to will to win and getting stuck in. Not one of those players on Sunday grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, not one player was barking orders, getting their colleagues to roll the sleeves up, directing play and giving assurance. They were 11 individuals, playing like individuals, not one wanting to take ownership of the situation. Hearts had three or four on the park. That's the key difference between the squads.

TornadoHibby
09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
For me, captains wouldn't want to sit in a pub an hour an a half after the game where we have lost to our bitter rivals. But hey that's just me. All about pride and how much I hurt, even as a fan.

No one in that squad is captain material. They are all bottlers who have a psychological weakness when it comes to will to win and getting stuck in. Not one of those players on Sunday grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, not one player was barking orders, getting their colleagues to roll the sleeves up, directing play and giving assurance. They were 11 individuals, playing like individuals, not one wanting to take ownership of the situation. Hearts had three or four on the park. That's the key difference between the squads.

Can't argue with much of that tbh! :cool2:

Players can be off form from time to time BUT there is absolutley NO EXCUSE for lack of 100% effort, will to win combatativeness and commitment during a match from each and every one of them and, apart from Stevenson and maybe Riordan on Sunday, there was precious little of that IMO! :confused:

Beefster
09-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Why is it that players get slated on here for ages, then they get, rightly, dropped because of their form and then, after a few weeks, we have folk crying for them to come back?

Murray, Hogg, McBride and the rest have all been dropped for a reason - they've been mince all year. We need a new squad - not a continual recycling of the same old faces.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Why is it that players get slated on here for ages, then they get, rightly, dropped because of their form and then, after a few weeks, we have folk crying for them to come back?

Murray, Hogg, McBride and the rest have all been dropped for a reason - they've been mince all year. We need a new squad - not a continual recycling of the same old faces.

:top marks Spot on.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Was Murray in the pub after?

Did he start? Did he make an impact when he came on?

I'd say he did and he deserves to be Captain, IMHO

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 09:20 AM
The thing is beefster, you know as well as I do, you have a squad that you have to utilise throughout a season where there are dips in form, suspensions, injuries etc.

The problem this squad has, assembled by John Hughes, is that when they are dropped they seem to have no real desire and fight to get back in and stay in. You are right, players have been dropped for being poor. But when they have been reintroduced they maybe have performed for one game or two, but they have never really shown that they are busting a gut to stay in the side......in other words, dropping them only serves the purpose of giving them a temporary kick up the backside.

Hughes was far too loyal to some poor players. For me he couldn't recognise technical ability if it hit him square on the chin. He released the wrong players in summer too if I am being honest. Creg played the first three games of the season and then disappeared into obscurity. Whenever I saw him he did no worse than say Rankin and offered a wee bit fight in the middle. Yes not the best we had, but no worse than Rankin or McBride.

Benji.....should never ever have been shown the door. Doesn't matter what Hughes thought of his training. Benji had technical skill. He created space. He needed games. Infuriating at times of course.....better than Trakys. Oh dear, if anyone defends Trakys I'm afraid they need to take up supporting tiddlywinks instead.

If you lose your place in the Celtic or Rangers side, you work damn hard to get back, and once back in, you bust a gut. At Hibs there is no such urgency........who is going to come in and replace you after all ?

500miles
09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
When Ian Murray came on, none of the Hearts players looked like they wanted to get involved with him for too long. Bring Ian into the starting lineup against rangers at the centre mid, and see how much more time the opposition give us.

BT58
09-11-2010, 09:24 AM
alas as the transfer window does not open till january CC will have to juggle this
squad about till something clicks,,,,,,,what i dont get is that CC is in the press this morning stating that 1 or 2 will be coming in at that time
i know that the young guys will be coming back, but would CC put the lot of them back into the first team,BYRNE,AND CURRIE perhaps,, but would the others get into the team????
getting back to the OP, yogi tried others in the RB position,all failed bar one
DW was the only one who really succeeded there,hoggy should be nowhere near that position !!!!
my team for the huns game would be

brown
spoony
dicoh
stephens
grounds

degraaf
murray
mcbride
stevenson
galbraith

trackays

mind you in seeing yon trackys on sunday,,we might be better playing a 4-6
formation against the huns!!!!! LOL
PS why not make brown the captain????

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
The thing is beefster, you know as well as I do, you have a squad that you have to utilise throughout a season where there are dips in form, suspensions, injuries etc.

The problem this squad has, assembled by John Hughes, is that when they are dropped they seem to have no real desire and fight to get back in and stay in. You are right, players have been dropped for being poor. But when they have been reintroduced they maybe have performed for one game or two, but they have never really shown that they are busting a gut to stay in the side......in other words, dropping them only serves the purpose of giving them a temporary kick up the backside.

Hughes was far too loyal to some poor players. For me he couldn't recognise technical ability if it hit him square on the chin. He released the wrong players in summer too if I am being honest. Creg played the first three games of the season and then disappeared into obscurity. Whenever I saw him he did no worse than say Rankin and offered a wee bit fight in the middle. Yes not the best we had, but no worse than Rankin or McBride.

Benji.....should never ever have been shown the door. Doesn't matter what Hughes thought of his training. Benji had technical skill. He created space. He needed games. Infuriating at times of course.....better than Trakys. Oh dear, if anyone defends Trakys I'm afraid they need to take up supporting tiddlywinks instead.

If you lose your place in the Celtic or Rangers side, you work damn hard to get back, and once back in, you bust a gut. At Hibs there is no such urgency........who is going to come in and replace you after all ?

At any level there are players who are good training and not in matches and vice versa. Rankin must be out-stand-ing in training mustn't he?

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Was Murray in the pub after?

Did he start? Did he make an impact when he came on?

I'd say he did and he deserves to be Captain, IMHO

Like I said cropley, we are human beings and of course players can unwind and relax as we all do. I am not saying we chain them indoors after a defeat.

However yes, Murray was in the pub, very very shortly after an apathetic, woeful defeat to our bitter rivals. Would I show face after a defeat.......me personally no. I was and still am a very sore loser. I also would be ashamed, perhaps too proud to show face. I would also expect, rightly, some criticism from the fans that support me. Some of whom may be well oiled and let's say "emotional".

It's not something I am trying to make a big deal of. I totally understand players going to the pub/club etc. But I am maybe showing my age and grumpiness that's all. I also don't like seeing injured players out in George Street til the wee small hours using alcohol as their "recuperation". Again, it irks me. But again, I am getting older and more bitter and cynical as the days wear on :boo hoo:

TornadoHibby
09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
When Ian Murray came on, none of the Hearts players looked like they wanted to get involved with him for too long. Bring Ian into the starting lineup against rangers at the centre mid, and see how much more time the opposition give us.

Ian Black certainly wasn't looking to get to close to Murray after Murray tackled him just after coming on! :wink: :greengrin

Purehibee_MYB
09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Murray deserves the Armband...you could see the passion when he came in...he got stuck in from the off and even bled for the cause! Can't argue with the fact we need some new faces but I disagree that there is no captain material in the team...cos Murray is a good captain!

George Clooney
09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Murray would play the "Aggresive Headless Chicken" role better than most but I'd be looking for my captain to be able to play a bit as well. I think he's a spent force with all his injury problems and his once promising future is now well behind him.
The sad thing is that I can't think of a better candidate for the arm-band :(

SheriffLobo
09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
How many fans were in the pub after drowning their sorrows? Murray is a hibee and as such surely deserves to suffer like us?

Had he been in the pub before the game then we can have an issue!

Murray is the only one who always gives 100% each game, and shows the passion that some of the so called hibs fans clearly dont just now,

Murray for captain IMO

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Murray would play the "Aggresive Headless Chicken" role better than most but I'd be looking for my captain to be able to play a bit as well. I think he's a spent force with all his injury problems and his once promising future is now well behind him.
The sad thing is that I can't think of a better candidate for the arm-band :(

Really? He's been i-n-j-u-r-e-d..... and is just coming back:rolleyes:

3pm
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
It's not the person with the armband that's the problem, it's the fact we need another 4 or 5 leaders after the Captain who get stuck in and take responsibility without the need for a crappy symbol on their arm.

On the day we won the Cup, Jones was captain but was backed up Hogg, Murphy, Brown, Boozy, Whittaker and Sproule. Whether you like them or not as a player, they all had the right attitude and made Jones' job a lot easier.

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 11:41 AM
It's not the person with the armband that's the problem, it's the fact we need another 4 or 5 leaders after the Captain who get stuck in and take responsibility without the need for a crappy symbol on their arm.

On the day we won the Cup, Jones was captain but was backed up Hogg, Murphy, Brown, Boozy, Whittaker and Sproule. Whether you like them or not as a player, they all had the right attitude and made Jones' job a lot easier.

:agree: 100% agree

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM

I think the problem is the mince on here and the constant pandering the board do to the boo boys. The mince shout of, as you say, a new squad - get real. I dont think any team in histor has ever brought in an entire new squad.

The problem at our club, IMO, is people with the view that you have. The constant view of get rid of that manager, this player, that captain, get a new squad, get another new squad, another new manager and so on and so on.

Every manager we have had inherits another managers squad, has the chance to bring in 4 or 5 of his own players, usually losing a couple, and then he is ousted. We never give a manager time to build his own team and start playing his own way because generally if he gets more than 12 months he is very lucky.

Calderwood has a unique position, not one I think you ever really see.

As for your shout on Murray, I think you are at the wind up. IMO he would be not only my captain but the first name on the team sheet each week.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I think the problem is the mince on here and the constant pandering the board do to the boo boys. The mince shout of, as you say, a new squad - get real. I dont think any team in histor has ever brought in an entire new squad.

The problem at our club, IMO, is people with the view that you have. The constant view of get rid of that manager, this player, that captain, get a new squad, get another new squad, another new manager and so on and so on.

Every manager we have had inherits another managers squad, has the chance to bring in 4 or 5 of his own players, usually losing a couple, and then he is ousted. We never give a manager time to build his own team and start playing his own way because generally if he gets more than 12 months he is very lucky.

As for your shout on Murray, I think you are at the wind up. IMO he would be not only my captain but the first name on the team sheet each week.

Your view on IM are well known:greengrin

However the fact that "Every manager we have had inherits another managers squad, has the chance to bring in 4 or 5 of his own players" has been down to our recruitment policy at manager and player level.

This has to stop now. As you say Calderwood has a unique opportunity, but not one without its risks.

Look at what Clough is doing at Derby and McCarthy is doing at Wolves, good managers need time - they need stability, but they need to be able to call on quality. I'll keep saying it but we have very little, if any, quality, left - and this MUST change. Otherwise we'll have the best infrastructure in the SFL.

essexhibee
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Least he would fight for the cause.

Beefster
09-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Your post doesn't make sense. You say that I'm the problem and that clubs never change the entire squad but then admit that Calderwood is in a unique position with so many out of contract. Do you really think that I'd be advocating an almost total refresh of the squad if they weren't all out of contract?

If you think Murray should be the first name on the team sheet, you're basing it on the Murray of 2009 and before. He's been rubbish in 2010.

PS I'm not a 'boo boy'.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Your post doesn't make sense. You say that I'm the problem and that clubs never change the entire squad but then admit that Calderwood is in a unique position with so many out of contract. Do you really think that I'd be advocating an almost total refresh of the squad if they weren't all out of contract?

If you think Murray should be the first name on the team sheet, you're basing it on the Murray of 2009 and before. He's been rubbish in 2010.

PS I'm not a 'boo boy'.

Don't worry Beefster we don't need many players - we're not far away from a good squad, out of contract or not, apparently...

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 09:46 PM

PS I'm not a 'boo boy'.

I dont understand what you are missing from my opening line. I have gone from a past-tense of never, to a current tense of unique.

Re Murray again my view. He has played 2 games this season with regards to 2010 I would disagree, but based on the above it would appear you are saying he was good enough in 2009 - just out of interest who has been good enough in 2010!

Our most experienced player, up there in terms of ability, top of the list in terms of contribution, and a list of his own in terms of commitment. Given the position we find ourselves in struggling to see your issue, but I appreciate its your opinion.