PDA

View Full Version : Deek could still be captain according to Calderwood

Cameron1875
09-11-2010, 12:52 AM
According to the Sun. http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3217675/You-can-still-be-captain.html

Good thing or bad thing? Personally i think captaincy has to be given to murray but depends on whether he is fit enough to play next 20+ matches.

COLIN CALDERWOOD has sensationally revealed that Derek Riordan WILL captain Hibs again despite his red card derby shame.

The new Easter Road boss put his faith in Deek by making him skipper for Sunday's clash with Hearts.
He hoped the extra responsibility would spark the striker into leading his side to a win against their great rivals.
But Riordan let him down badly when he was sent off for a shocking late tackle on Rudi Skacel in the dying seconds of his side's 2-0 defeat.
The 27-year-old is banned for tomorrow's game with Rangers, leaving boss Calderwood with only ONE fit striker for the trip to Ibrox.
And he is also likely to miss another game against St Johnstone later this month after crashing through the disciplinary points threshold.
Caldo, who made Riordan skipper after dropping club captain Chris Hogg, yesterday confirmed the player had been fined for his misdemeanour.
But he also insisted the incident would not stop him handing him back the armband when he is again available.
He said: "I spoke to Derek and he knows where we stand on it. We have taken action.
"The timing of it was the real annoying thing as it wasn't making an impact on the game.
"We had a discussion and he has accepted the punishment.
"Obviously he also misses Wednesday against Rangers, so a couple of things have hit him from it.
"Will I give him another chance as captain? Definitely, at some stage.
"If you have wronged, you serve your penance and you come again.
"There is no grudge between what happened on Sunday and what I think can happen to him and Hibernian in the future."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3217675/You-can-still-be-captain.html#ixzz14k4Ob6v0

Hibs Class
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Good thing. Deek let everyone down on Sunday but he's far from being the first team captain who has got the red mist and acted with stupidity. If he learns from it and learns how to properly fulfil the role of captain then there's no reason why he shouldn't continue doing it.

Baldy Foghorn
09-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Good thing. Deek let everyone down on Sunday but he's far from being the first team captain who has got the red mist and acted with stupidity. If he learns from it and learns how to properly fulfil the role of captain then there's no reason why he shouldn't continue doing it.

IMO he is far from being captain material.....Not a natural motivator, and spends most of his time gesticulating and moaning......

Hibs Class
09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
IMO he is far from being captain material.....Not a natural motivator, and spends most of his time gesticulating and moaning......

Agree - my point was if he learns how to be an effective captain then Sunday's events shouldn't prevent him doing so. I don't see why he couldn't develop into an effective captain - some players respond very positively to the responsibility

SMAXXA
09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
To be honest from what I make of his comments I think its more to say he thinks Deek will captain Hibs at some point again in the future, as for him remaining as captain for the forseeable I dont think he will. Possible be used as more of a vice captain, but im sure the next few weeks when hes availible will be the proof in the pudding. Im in the leave him out of the captain running camp.

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 06:27 PM
To be honest from what I make of his comments I think its more to say he thinks Deek will captain Hibs at some point again in the future, as for him remaining as captain for the forseeable I dont think he will. Possible be used as more of a vice captain, but im sure the next few weeks when hes availible will be the proof in the pudding. Im in the leave him out of the captain running camp.

If that is waht he is saying I would agree. Vice for Riordan, yes, Captain, No. Not just because of Sunday, but for the fact I hate strikers taking the role of captain, he needs to focus on getting the ball in the back of the net, not whether or not the 2 CH are speaking to each other.

Plus his negativity is not likely to be helpful for those around him, it will either lead to them taking a dent in confidence if they are to listen to him as captain, or ignoring him - neither is any good for the team.

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
If that is waht he is saying I would agree. Vice for Riordan, yes, Captain, No. Not just because of Sunday, but for the fact I hate strikers taking the role of captain, he needs to focus on getting the ball in the back of the net, not whether or not the 2 CH are speaking to each other.

Plus his negativity is not likely to be helpful for those around him, it will either lead to them taking a dent in confidence if they are to listen to him as captain, or ignoring him - neither is any good for the team.

Calderwood doesn't really have a choice in appointing DR again. To dump a Captain after one game, misdemeanour or not would not say a lot for the manager.

DR will be Captain again as soon as he is available again.

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Calderwood doesn't really have a choice in appointing DR again. To dump a Captain after one game, misdemeanour or not would not say a lot for the manager.

DR will be Captain again as soon as he is available again.

Was he actually made club captain - i thought he was appointed as Hogg is out and Murray was not back from injury at that time.

essexhibee
09-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Fantastic player with great ability, but he let the club, the fans and his team mates down big time on Sunday.

I think he should come out and publicly apologize IMO.

BoltonHibee
09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Was he actually made club captain - i thought he was appointed as Hogg is out and Murray was not back from injury at that time.

Club Captain and the Captain of the side can be two different people. I am not sure what Hogg is meant to be in all honesty.

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Club Captain and the Captain of the side can be two different people. I am not sure what Hogg is meant to be in all honesty.

Well at least I am not alone in that!

In my view Murray is the only choice of captain. Riordan as vice but nothing more than that.

Sergey
09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I am not sure what Hogg is meant to be in all honesty.

The majority of our support ask themselves the exact same question.

EasterRoad4Ever
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
IMHO Riordan will never captain Hibs again - and rightly so. His appointment was a complete aberration by CC which was always going to blow up in his face. The only surprise is that it took so long:grr:.

Hibs captain is meant to be a role model for other players on and off the park - the epitome of professionalism, someone you can put before the press, sponsors, little Hibs kids and can stand side by side with some of the Hibernian Greats. I'm one of Riordan's biggest fans, and he ticks NONE of those boxes.

CC talking about DR being captain again at some stage is just to save face.

sahib
09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
IMHO Riordan will never captain Hibs again - and rightly so. His appointment was a complete aberration by CC which was always going to blow up in his face. The only surprise is that it took so long:grr:.

Hibs captain is meant to be a role model for other players on and off the park - the epitome of professionalism, someone you can put before the press, sponsors, little Hibs kids and can stand side by side with some of the Hibernian Greats. I'm one of Riordan's biggest fans, and he ticks NONE of those boxes.

CC talking about DR being captain again at some stage is just to save face.

Do we need a club captain? A mascot might be more useful.