PDA

View Full Version : Celtic fans banner at Parkhead today

Gatecrasher
06-11-2010, 07:16 PM
http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/061110-Celtic-v-Aberdeen/G0000HUGoC69ZIzs/I0000rTofGM7Iink
:rolleyes:

How can they be Scotlands Shame when it appears they have no shame :confused:

Lofarl
06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm speechless at that

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm speechless at that

:agree: Idiots.

Let them go and play in Ireland if they want.

greenlex
06-11-2010, 07:31 PM
http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/061110-Celtic-v-Aberdeen/G0000HUGoC69ZIzs/I0000rTofGM7Iink

What is a BLOOSTAINED POPPY?

H18sry
06-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Pure Vile 5CUM :grr:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Poor wee lambs obviously put a lot of effort into that. And significantly, managed to spell the words impeccably.

PaulSmith
06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Your deeds would shame all the devils in hell
ireland iraq afghanistan
no acostained poppy
on our hoops

Right first off there are thousands of bigots from both sides who have disgracefully jumped all over the Armed Forces and the Poppy symbol, the one's who are too cowardly to come out and say what they really mean.

This though, WTF, I understand that there are thousands of Irish supporting Celtic fans who see the Armed Forces as the 'enemy' but for Celtic Football Club to allow an organised display within their own grounds (irony with ex Home Secretary looking on as Chairman) just stinks.

Either wear the poppy for what's meant to symbolise and show respect, don't wear it to "get it up the Fenians" or in this case use it as a sick PR stunt to show support for an organisation which caused misery to thousands of Armed Services personal.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Poor wee lambs obviously put a lot of effort into that. And significantly, managed to spell the words impeccably.

Except "Blood" was missing either an O or a D!

DaveF
06-11-2010, 07:38 PM
What is a BLOOSTAINED POPPY?

Has that been edited?

Surely the Celtc spelling club hasn't struck again :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
06-11-2010, 07:40 PM
The thing is, half the no-brained ****wits that would have been part of it no nothing about the 'history' they're so keen to sing about.

If they don't want to support the poppy then that's their (small minded) perogative, but to actively protest against it shows them up for the **** that they are.

I wonder how all the serving and ex-serving Celtc fans feel about their fellow supporters tonight?

IWasThere2016
06-11-2010, 07:40 PM
I'll never understand either side of the OF - nor would I attempt to. OF GTF!

WindyMiller
06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Your deeds would shame all the devils in hell

ireland iraq afghanistan
no acostained poppy
on our hoops

Right first off there are thousands of bigots from both sides who have disgracefully jumped all over the Armed Forces and the Poppy symbol, the one's who are too cowardly to come out and say what they really mean.

This though, WTF, I understand that there are thousands of Irish supporting Celtic fans who see the Armed Forces as the 'enemy' but for Celtic Football Club to allow an organised display within their own grounds (irony with ex Home Secretary looking on as Chairman) just stinks.

Either wear the poppy for what's meant to symbolise and show respect, don't wear it to "get it up the Fenians" or in this case use it as a sick PR stunt to show support for an organisation which caused misery to thousands of Armed Services personal.

He's a lump o' *****.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Acostained isn't a word!

vahibbie
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
****bags:grr::grr:

They do however, amazing as it may be, seem to have got the spelling correct.
They must have got their teacher to write it doon for them:agree:

thekaratekid
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Acostained isn't a word!

I think it's meant to be bloodstained

It's spelt incorrectly. What is it with Celtc fans and banners? :greengrin

vahibbie
06-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Acostained isn't a word!

So if it's no a word it cannae be spelt wrong:wink:

matty_f
Acostained isn't a word!

It's the English Language's consipiracy against them.

See also "Celtc".

Danderhall Hibs
****bags:grr::grr:

They do however, amazing as it may be, seem to have got the spelling correct.
They must have got their teacher to write it doon for them:agree:

They've either spelt a made-up word correctly or a real word wrongly.

sahib
Acostained isn't a word!

I use it every time I spill aco on my shirt.

DaveF
It's bloodstained

Well, it's meant to be.....

BSEJVT
06-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Where's Jack Regan gone these days?

This is the type of thread he would be all over like a rash.

"few simple minded, not really celtc people, 100 out of 60,000 not representative, booed by main support" blah blah blah

HibbiesandtheBaddies
Except "Blood" with was missing either an O or a D!

:greengrin

James70
Seems like they have a chip on their shoulder against the referees as well despite getting three penalties today, why don't they just sod off and play in the Irish League, nobody else wants either them or their bigot brothers.

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/061110-Celtic-v-Aberdeen/G0000HUGoC69ZIzs/I0000xt9YSEtMMCU

Danderhall Hibs
It's bloodstained

It doesn't say that either - it's missing a D or an O.

Barney McGrew
06-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Well, it's meant to be.....

:hilarious

Right enough, I think it is. The thick planks can't even get that spelling right either.

matty_f
06-11-2010, 07:46 PM
It doesn't say that either - it's missing a D or an O.

It'll be the 'O' that's missing, Celtc like to conserve their vowels (so that they can add them into other words, see "Oirish" as an example).

Gatecrasher
06-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Seems like they have a chip on their shoulder against the referees as well despite getting three penalties today, why don't they just sod off and play in the Irish League, nobody else wants either them or their bigot brothers.

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/061110-Celtic-v-Aberdeen/G0000HUGoC69ZIzs/I0000xt9YSEtMMCU

what a bunch if sore losers :rotflmao:

:asshole:

WindyMiller
06-11-2010, 07:47 PM

It's spelt incorrectly. What is it with Celtc fans and banners? :greengrin

Yeh, it might be Blod-stained .

Celtc spelling. :faf:

MSK
06-11-2010, 07:49 PM

It's spelt incorrectly. What is it with Celtc fans and banners? :greengrinThick as mince that lot !!! :faf::faf:

Removed
06-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Thick in more ways than one. They are a total disgrace imo.

essexhibee
06-11-2010, 07:50 PM
******s the lot of them.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeh, it might be Blod-stained .

Celtc spelling. :faf:

Looks like BLOOSTAINED to me?

Part/Time Supporter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_F.C._and_World_War_I

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Angus%2C+Willie

If you know your history and all that...

givescotlandfreedom
Utter ****! A poison on our society just like their lovers and fellow bigot brothers.

StevieC
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM

I read it as "Bloo Stained" .. what are they doing staining their banners with those little blocks of toilet sanitizer???

Big Frank
06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Thats a disgrace.

DaveF
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Thats a disgrace.

The spelling or the banner :greengrin

fishybeaver
06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
What an embarresment ....someone must do something to wipe out this cancer....I am ashamed to share the same country as these *****!!!:grr:

Cabbage East
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
The main issue I have with that is their atrocious spelling. As usual. ******s.

nlod
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
absolute disgrace **** sake do they even know what they are saying

Antifa Hibs
06-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Dunno why anyone gives a **** about what Celtic fans wrote on a banner and are getting so worked up about it, they done it last year, the year before and will do it next year. **** Celtic and Rangers and what they get up to.

Winston Ingram
06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
If you don't support the poppy appeal, don't buy a poppy - Its that simple.

why do these windaelickers feel it's necessary:confused:

Do they not realise its celebrated worldwide, its not a British theme, tomorrow remembers all soldiers and victims of every nationality who have fallen in the futility of wars.

The stupidity of these twats know no bounds

Sir David Gray
06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I saw this earlier on Kickback actually when I was going on to read about what they were saying about tomorrow.

It is absolutely disgraceful that this display has appeared in a British football stadium and Celtic FC should be ashamed that they allow these people into Parkhead every other week.

Their antics last season at the Falkirk Stadium were shocking but this, in my opinion, is taking things to a whole new level.

The people who make up this Green Brigade group are utter filth in my opinion and I believe that their members should be arrested after today's events. The whole purpose of their existence is to push forward their own Irish Republican agenda and that has no place in Scottish football.

I await with baited breath to hear John Reid and Peter Lawwell's response to the display of this disgusting banner. There's only so long that they can go on sweeping this kind of behaviour by their fans under the carpet. I'm still waiting on a response to what happened last year at Falkirk and I was really disappointed that they chose not to publicly criticise these people at the time, as they are a cancer within their club.

The thing that really gets me is that John Reid is the former Defence Secretary of the United Kingdom so he, of all people, should feel ashamed and embarrassed by what went on today.

I would love nothing more than to see Celtic relocate to Ireland. It's become increasingly clear to me in recent months and years that they identify much more with the Republic of Ireland than they do with Scotland and I, for one, am getting completely fed up hearing and seeing all this nonsense every time this time of year comes around.

Rangers have their many faults and I have absolutely no time for them either but as far as I'm concerned, it is Celtic who are Scotland's real shame.

The whole club is nauseating and completely rotten from top to bottom.

forthhibby
06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
mate says line about the devil comes from a republican song

NAE NOOKIE
06-11-2010, 10:06 PM
If you don't support the poppy appeal, don't buy a poppy - Its that simple.

why do these windaelickers feel it's necessary:confused:

Do they not realise its celebrated worldwide, its not a British theme, tomorrow remembers all soldiers and victims of every nationality who have fallen in the futility of wars.

The stupidity of these twats know no bounds

:top marks

Certainly for me the poppy is worn in memory of soldiers sailors Airmen Nurses etc etc of all nationalities who have been killed in conflicts over the decades.

It is not a celebration of war, imperialism or anything else.

These idiots need to grow up and get a real grasp on social history.

It is no wonder that since I started going to see Hibs all those years ago that more and more the supporters of our great club have been moving away from the idea of any sort of connection or sympathy with the idiots who support that club.

Yes they have the same origins as us but we have become a truly Scottish club, proud of what we are, proud also of our Irish roots. But heart and soul a Scottish club.

ronaldo7
06-11-2010, 10:18 PM
A statement from the Green Brigade (stolen from keekback)

At half-time during today’s match against Aberdeen we displayed message banners calling for ‘No bloodstained poppys on our hoops’ in protest at the Club’s decision to once again wear the poppy on our shirts during next week’s game at St Mirren (a match our group will not attend because of this decision). This is in support of an appeal by Poppyscotland to all SPL clubs. Poppyscotland describes its role as ‘supporting heroes’ and state that ‘the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces’. Our group and many within the Celtic support do not recognise the British Armed Forces as heroes, nor their role in many conflicts as one worthy of our remembrance. Earlier this year, the Saville Report on Bloody Sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the British Army during the most recent phase of conflict in Ireland. More recently, the British Armed Forces have murdered and maimed many thousands more innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. The poppy remembers not just our grandfathers who fought the Nazis but also those who bombed the Belgrano and brutally occupied the streets of Belfast and Basra. While we recognise the right of individuals to remember their dead and that many within the Celtic support will wear the poppy in memory of family and friends lost in WW2 and other conflicts, we cannot accept the imposition of the poppy onto our shirts.

As far back as April, representatives from the Green Brigade, Celtic Supporters Association and Celtic Trust met with Peter Lawwell to express our united opposition to the Club imposing the poppy on the first team jersey. We also know that the AICSC and many other individual supporters had called on the Club to reverse their position of previous years and take the poppy off the shirt. Following our meeting in April, the Club were contacted on several occasions for further dialogue on the issue but informed us that they were still considering their position and would get back to us. The first any group knew of the decision was after it had been made, and publicly announced. We share the views of the AICSC whose recent statement on the poppy stated that ‘to see the jersey being used as a medium for such a divisive symbol and the message it communicates is deplorable’, and that it showed a complete lack of respect for the support, further highlighted by repeated declarations on the official website of Celtic’s delight to be wearing the poppy and supporting Poppyscotland. It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman John Reid, the former Armed Forces Minister and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey.

As you may have noticed at today's game, we mistakenly missed out the 'D' in 'bloodstained'. This happened in the rush to finish two displays for todays game (with our 'Show the SFA the red card' action before the match). The real mistake, however, is the Club forcing the poppy onto our shirt.

:bitchy:

RickyS
06-11-2010, 10:22 PM

waste of good organs every one of them

nlod
06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
i am with bovril on this one absolutely astounding that celtic fans have the brass neck to raise that above there heads do they actually ken what they are condoning?when i first started going to gods country the auld songs were sung and i sung them but now hibs arent aboot that we are a scottish club with scottish fans mainly we are proud of our history our irish links but we were formed in scotland -edinburgh by people of irish descent but we are edinburghs green team no more we are the hibs can u imagine a banner like that lasting long at the san siro?no it would be ripped doon we are better than that absolute disgrace i hate celtic to my heart i do i used to be pissed off they sort of stole our identity but if thats what it stands for they can keep it .

sesoim
06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I can't think of any word that is printable to say about that. I know it's a minority, but wht do they hope to achieve?

I am bored of people like them who constantly wanting to play the "victim". There seems to be people all over Britain doing this, and frankly if that's the way they feel, why are they here......maybe the countries they came from aren't so great?

Anyway, if Ireland is so great, what have they done for other countries, apart from relieve them of large sums of money via the joke that is the EU? Oh, wait a minute, they helped out the Nazis during WW2.

marinello59
06-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Dunno why anyone gives a **** about what Celtic fans wrote on a banner and are getting so worked up about it, they done it last year, the year before and will do it next year. **** Celtic and Rangers and what they get up to.

I sort of agree with you here. Their ability to shock has diminished over the years. They are just behaving as we expect them to.

nlod
06-11-2010, 10:38 PM
after reading the green brigade pish i am glad my dad was a hibby and i am a hibby and i made my son and daughter hibbys

Gatecrasher
06-11-2010, 10:42 PM

At half-time during today’s match against Aberdeen we displayed message banners calling for ‘No bloodstained poppys on our hoops’ in protest at the Club’s decision to once again wear the poppy on our shirts during next week’s game at St Mirren (a match our group will not attend because of this decision). This is in support of an appeal by Poppyscotland to all SPL clubs. Poppyscotland describes its role as ‘supporting heroes’ and state that ‘the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces’. Our group and many within the Celtic support do not recognise the British Armed Forces as heroes, nor their role in many conflicts as one worthy of our remembrance. Earlier this year, the Saville Report on Bloody Sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the British Army during the most recent phase of conflict in Ireland. More recently, the British Armed Forces have murdered and maimed many thousands more innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. The poppy remembers not just our grandfathers who fought the Nazis but also those who bombed the Belgrano and brutally occupied the streets of Belfast and Basra. While we recognise the right of individuals to remember their dead and that many within the Celtic support will wear the poppy in memory of family and friends lost in WW2 and other conflicts, we cannot accept the imposition of the poppy onto our shirts.

As far back as April, representatives from the Green Brigade, Celtic Supporters Association and Celtic Trust met with Peter Lawwell to express our united opposition to the Club imposing the poppy on the first team jersey. We also know that the AICSC and many other individual supporters had called on the Club to reverse their position of previous years and take the poppy off the shirt. Following our meeting in April, the Club were contacted on several occasions for further dialogue on the issue but informed us that they were still considering their position and would get back to us. The first any group knew of the decision was after it had been made, and publicly announced. We share the views of the AICSC whose recent statement on the poppy stated that ‘to see the jersey being used as a medium for such a divisive symbol and the message it communicates is deplorable’, and that it showed a complete lack of respect for the support, further highlighted by repeated declarations on the official website of Celtic’s delight to be wearing the poppy and supporting Poppyscotland. It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman John Reid, the former Armed Forces Minister and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey.

As you may have noticed at today's game, we mistakenly missed out the 'D' in 'bloodstained'. This happened in the rush to finish two displays for todays game (with our 'Show the SFA the red card' action before the match). The real mistake, however, is the Club forcing the poppy onto our shirt.

these guys are on another planet

nlod
06-11-2010, 10:51 PM
disgrace i hope all the ****ers with the banner were irish and not scottish how can anyone condone
Al-Qaeda ****ing cowardly ****s.we are the hibees bigger than than that pee bring on the yams

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-11-2010, 10:53 PM

:agree:

Green Brigade

Oxygen thieves

LancashireHibby
06-11-2010, 11:04 PM
That 'statement' is absolutely astounding, beyond words in fact. What the f'ing hell is going through their heads when writing such tripe and, even worse, trying to justify it?!

Sir David Gray
06-11-2010, 11:11 PM

Absolute sc*mbags. :bitchy:

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-11-2010, 11:20 PM
What a bunch of prats. Aye we made an arse of ourselves and there was an error cause we were too busy making even more an erse of ourselves. Bunch of ****in twats.

God Petrie
06-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Who gives a toss what these monkeys think?

I can imagine Obama sitting in his office when one of his aides rushes in.

"Excuse me sir, I have some bad news. The green brigade have protested at the game against Aberdeen about remembrance day."

"NOOOOO! GET THE TROOPS OUT!"

whiskyhibby
06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Utter ****! A poison on our society just like their lovers and fellow bigot brothers.

Absolutely spot on these amoeba are the **** of the earth

whiskyhibby
06-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Absolutely spot on these amoeba are the **** of the earth

The lowest form of evolved life in my opinion.............................

orourke
06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
the wearing off a poppy is (to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war),how can anybody of sound mind and decent morals object in any shape or form

Removed
06-11-2010, 11:42 PM
the wearing off a poppy is (to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war),how can anybody of sound mind and decent morals object in any shape or form

They don't but how many at parkhead are of sound mind and decent morals?

Sir David Gray
06-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Someone on Kickback came up with a pretty good idea (that might be the one and only time that I'll say that!) which was that we should all send an e-mail to each of the companies that sponsor Celtic and attach a link to the photo of them displaying that banner. I wouldn't have thought that many of these companies would be too happy at being associated with a club who have supporters who publicly air views like this.

For anyone who is interested, some of the companies that sponsor Celtic are;

Tennent's
Nike
Scottish Leader Whisky
Thomas Cook
CityLink
Coca-Cola
Glasgow Audi

Might be worth a try.

Antifa Hibs
07-11-2010, 12:13 AM
You honestly think that will make a blind bit of difference?

Rangers and Celtic have been singing IRA/UVF songs for 30-40 years, we had the huns doing Nazi salutues in Israel, Celtic booing a minutes silence, the list goes on, and yet they've always had top advertising deals, with both teams jumping in bed together to get more cash. Nout will change.

I like this letter/article

Remember the futility of war

The Poppy Appeal is once again subverting Armistice Day. A day that should be about peace and remembrance is turned into a month-long drum roll of support for current wars. This year's campaign has been launched with showbiz hype. The true horror and futility of war is forgotten and ignored.

The public are being urged to wear a poppy in support of "Our Heroes". There is nothing heroic about being blown up in a vehicle. There is nothing heroic about being shot in an ambush and there is nothing heroic about fighting in an unnecessary conflict.

Remembrance should be marked with the sentiment "Never again".

Re: the jungle jims, I find it rather funny TBH, sad if you will. A bit like the 'Irish national famine memorial day' they had versus us, all very sad, laughable, reeking of 'hey, hey everyone, over here, look at us' type thing.

Pete
07-11-2010, 12:49 AM
You honestly think that will make a blind bit of difference?

Rangers and Celtic have been singing IRA/UVF songs for 30-40 years, we had the huns doing Nazi salutues in Israel, Celtic booing a minutes silence, the list goes on, and yet they've always had top advertising deals, with both teams jumping in bed together to get more cash. Nout will change.

I like this letter/article

Re: the jungle jims, I find it rather funny TBH, sad if you will. A bit like the 'Irish national famine memorial day' they had versus us, all very sad, laughable, reeking of 'hey, hey everyone, over here, look at us' type thing.

That quote put into words what I was thinking.

This Celtic mobs banner is misguided and inappropriate...but I can't condemn them as strongly as others do for some reason.

I think it is all to do with what the poppy has become to symolise...an unwavering support for the British armed forces "actions" past and present. To me it's all about remembering those who fell in the first and second world war....and after that it's about remembering those who fell in other theatres and the specific cause is irrelevant.

A lot of Celtic fans are Irish republicans and they don't have to have super memories to recall recent acts by the British army that fill them with disgust. The fact that they even occupy that part of Ireland is something they don't agree with so how can they ever be comfortable with seeing what has now become a symbol of support for their actions?
The more appropriate action would be to act independently and simply not wear a poppy but this is football, it's tribal, emotional and lets be honest, it's a lot to do with them sticking it to the Huns.

Personally, I choose not to wear a poppy for the qouted reasons above. If you could buy an old poppy from 20 years ago with a pin in it that was all about remembering the dead and not "supporting" then I would be all for it.
Therefore, if I was Irish, had experiences of the troubles and was a staunch Celtic supporter I would probably be quite vocal if my club wanted to put the poppy on my clubs shirt considering what it has become to symbolise.

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-11-2010, 12:56 AM
Genuine question - will both Hibs and Hearts have poppys on their tops tomorrow?

I know a couple of years back, or was it last year? both teams had poppies embrollied onto their tops. Do we have it this year. :dunno:

calamitus
07-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Yup, it definitely says either 'blodstained' or 'bloostained'. To be fair, I can see why they don't want bloostained poppies :greengrin

HibeePaj
07-11-2010, 01:55 AM
This really isnt suprising at all, and to be honest i expect that fom 'a fraction' of their support, however the stewards should have taken down the banners.

Last year 'a fraction' of our own fans 'dishonoured' the mintutes applause on rememberance weekend at tynecastle.

It's these BIGOTS that are spoiling the game imho, sooner they are dealt with the better.

Carheenlea
07-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Last year 'a fraction' of our own fans 'dishonoured' the mintutes applause on rememberance weekend at tynecastle.

:confused:

Lofarl
07-11-2010, 03:10 AM
This really isnt suprising at all, and to be honest i expect that fom 'a fraction' of their support, however the stewards should have taken down the banners.

It's these BIGOTS that are spoiling the game imho, sooner they are dealt with the better.

Orly. I seem to remember it being observed quite well, as all minutes silences and applause that we do.

Kaiser1962
07-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Yup, it definitely says either 'blodstained' or 'bloostained'. To be fair, I can see why they don't want bloostained poppies :greengrin

Yup. I actually think spelling the banner correctly was crucial to getting the message across.

Bit like the Python sketch "Are you the Judean People's Front?"..............

sunshine1875
07-11-2010, 08:14 AM
When with the famous Glasgow Celtic FC start to take actions on these idiots?

:I'm waiti

These idiots will not attend the St. Mirren game. If I was on the Celtic board, I would say don't bother coming back at all.

Andy74
07-11-2010, 08:14 AM

This Celtic mobs banner is misguided and inappropriate...but I can't condemn them as strongly as others do for some reason.

I think it is all to do with what the poppy has become to symolise...an unwavering support for the British armed forces "actions" past and present. To me it's all about remembering those who fell in the first and second world war....and after that it's about remembering those who fell in other theatres and the specific cause is irrelevant.

A lot of Celtic fans are Irish republicans and they don't have to have super memories to recall recent acts by the British army that fill them with disgust. The fact that they even occupy that part of Ireland is something they don't agree with so how can they ever be comfortable with seeing what has now become a symbol of support for their actions?
The more appropriate action would be to act independently and simply not wear a poppy but this is football, it's tribal, emotional and lets be honest, it's a lot to do with them sticking it to the Huns.

Personally, I choose not to wear a poppy for the qouted reasons above. If you could buy an old poppy from 20 years ago with a pin in it that was all about remembering the dead and not "supporting" then I would be all for it.
Therefore, if I was Irish, had experiences of the troubles and was a staunch Celtic supporter I would probably be quite vocal if my club wanted to put the poppy on my clubs shirt considering what it has become to symbolise.
Agree with all that.

degenerated
07-11-2010, 08:28 AM

Excellent post :agree:

Cabbage East
07-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Since90+2
07-11-2010, 09:03 AM
A just think its funny how they spelt another banner wrong :faf:

nonshinyfinish
07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
A just think its funny how they spelt another banner wrong :faf:

:greengrin

Well said.

I still wear a poppy, but it means what I want it to mean: remembrance of the dead of all wars (soldiers and civilians, from either side of the conflict), and an expression of the sentiment of 'never again.'

It is a sad fact about our society that the current association of poppies with unquestioning support for the armed forces makes this sort of backlash inevitable.

Like so many problems, it could be solved forever if everyone involved just stopped being dicks.

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
If they hate Britain so much why are they here?

Pretty Boy
07-11-2010, 09:40 AM

I was about to post something similar but you have pretty much summed up what i wanted to say.

The Poppy appeal has to some extent been hi-jacked by a jingoist element within society and has, IMO, become somewhat devalued, possibly even distatsteful.

CabbageBoy
07-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I wonder just how many of these plastic paddies were out on Friday night celebrating Bonfire Night? If they wanted a real cause for their victimhood, why not choose one that actually involves one of their co-religionists being fitted up by the British state in order to justify the enforcement of the state religion? Or can we look forward to 'No fireworks here' and 'posthumous pardon for Guy' banners next year?

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I wonder just how many of these plastic paddies were out on Friday night celebrating Bonfire Night? If they wanted a real cause for their victimhood, why not choose one that actually involves one of their co-religionists being fitted up by the British state in order to justify the enforcement of the state religion? Or can we look forward to 'No fireworks here' and 'posthumous pardon for Guy' banners next year?

There was also that wee issue of the gunpowder underneath the house of commons that seemed to wind up those nasty prods.

The Harp
07-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I can just imagine how embarrassed John Reid and his fellow directors must be to have seen this banner and to hear IRA songs on a regular basis being belted out, particularly at away games. Seems like the Celtic board are frightened to take action against these so-called fans of the club for fear of a backlash.
Sad stuff when you consider the amount of Celtic fans who have served, and are still serving, in the armed forces.

Since90+2
07-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I can just imagine how embarrassed John Reid and his fellow directors must be to have seen this banner and to hear IRA songs on a regular basis being belted out, particularly at away games. Seems like the Celtic board are frightened to take action against these so-called fans of the club for fear of a backlash.
Sad stuff when you consider the amount of Celtic fans who have served, and are still serving, in the armed forces.

The Celtic board already know that attendences are falling and they probably dont want to risk loosing another couple of thousand people coming through the turnstiles

Hibs Class
07-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Vile. No difference between this and the songs they sing in my opinion, but will the SPL/SFA condemn it? Hope so, but doubt it.

CentreLine
07-11-2010, 10:40 AM
The club should have instructed their stewards to pull the whole lot down. That is a disgrace.

I am convinced that celtic are trying to make their club so unpopular in Scotland that it is impossible for them to remain in the Scottish League set-up. Their unjustifiable attack on referees was actually going quite well for them in that respect IMO. But what this disgraceful lack of respect towards the sacrifice by many thousands of soldiers who fought on all sides of conflicts around the world (my father included) has done for them is set their campaign back decades. If their ambition is to be included in the english league then they are not doing a great job of endearing themselves. So, how about they do the honourable thing and relocate to Ireland. Best case scenario would be if they could take the other half of the bigot brothers with them. Then we would only have the small matter of the minority of idiots who would like to smear our club and hahahahearts with the same sorry mess to deal with.

Reality Check! This is football we are talking about, not politics and certainly not war

Hibby Cam
07-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm is this not the same lot who love their squeaky clean Pope

CentreLine
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Belter :top marks

lobster
07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Bull**** postering by a bunch of semiliterate and highly selective twits...
Jack Regan where are you? Help us to understand the poor wee lambs. :boo hoo:

Sauzee 62
07-11-2010, 11:02 AM
An absolute parasite on Scottish football. The SFA need to man up and do something about it but then the sc*m will just start whinging about conspiracies again. The sooner they and their biggot brothers ***** off to Ireland, the Championship, The Atlantic League or wherever they want the better for everyone else. I am sick of their sh*te.

Winston Ingram
07-11-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugN03pPOXxQ

Green_one
07-11-2010, 11:24 AM
A new low even for them

Once again caught out by 'the spelling' . Obviously missed both English and History lessons as 'also those who bombed the Belgrano' is incorrect as the Belgrano, as almost anyone knows, was sunk by a submarine. That used a torpedo not a bomb, nor could it fly. :rolleyes:

These guys object to violence by the British army but are happy to sing about and collect money for, groups who murdered women and children. Some were even Irishmen who killed Irishmen. Who understands them.

They are right about one thing. Everyone does hate them. Their only friends are the Huns. Born from the same hate.

Keith_M
07-11-2010, 11:44 AM

"If you hate it so much,
...then why don't you go home?"

Sir David Gray
07-11-2010, 09:09 PM
A new low even for them

Once again caught out by 'the spelling' . Obviously missed both English and History lessons as 'also those who bombed the Belgrano' is incorrect as the Belgrano, as almost anyone knows, was sunk by a submarine. That used a torpedo not a bomb, nor could it fly. :rolleyes:

These guys object to violence by the British army but are happy to sing about and collect money for, groups who murdered women and children. Some were even Irishmen who killed Irishmen. Who understands them.

They are right about one thing. Everyone does hate them. Their only friends are the Huns. Born from the same hate.

:top marks Excellent post.

Every week, they are only too happy to glorify a terrorist organisation that commits atrocities against hundreds of innocent people, which is exactly the same thing that they accuse the British army of doing.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Iggy Pope
07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
:top marks Excellent post.

Every week, they are only too happy to glorify a terrorist organisation that commits atrocities against hundreds of innocent people, which is exactly the same thing that they accuse the British army of doing.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Think you might be a wee bit out of your depth in trying to answer the 'Irish Question' on a forum built for folk to have a greet about their football team.

Iggy Pope
07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
And I might ask a question of my own of the Admins....where is any of the content of this thread football related? Most of the vitriol belongs elsewhere.

Vini1875
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
That is too simple and hunnish. To protest against the British ruling classes and even what the British army has done and is doing is not simply about being anti-British. My family is Irish and I live in Britain, but what is being done in Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan is not in my name and if I was asked I would have no British troops in any of those places.

The gloryfication of war is about those in power retaining or gaining more power. It has nowt to do with defence and it is not for the benefit of the British people as a whole. The poppy appeals have become far more political than just raising some dough for ex-servicemen and women. The government sends to war but it is unwilling to take full care of them when killed or maimed.

If it were up to me there would be no poppies on our strips either.

Winston Ingram
07-11-2010, 09:48 PM
And I might ask a question of my own of the Admins....where is any of the content of this thread football related? Most of the vitriol belongs elsewhere.

It involves a Football Club and the thread was started by a picture taken in a football stadium during a football match

Winston Ingram
07-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know if the stewards did anything to remove the banners?

Mikeystewart
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM

I can see there point, the uk's treatment of other countries since its birth has been the epitome of hell itself, even the way its own people are abandoned on a daily basis.

Horse
07-11-2010, 10:25 PM
As usual the sunday mail has an article on the back page about the filth wining 9.0 - no mention of the inbred sub-species they call fans and their disgusting antics. Celtic fans really are the epitomy of **** and the daily record/sunday mail are effectively condoning the fascism that spills from that cess-pit.

JackRegan
08-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I just wish these numbnuts would learn to spell.

No Poppies on the hoops. Thankfully this is the last year.

Iggy Pope
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
It involves a Football Club and the thread was started by a picture taken in a football stadium during a football match

Nah.
The only relevance this thread has to football is the political one being kicked about.
Sadly, references to 'filth', 'their pope' immigration, the famine, literacy, 'why are they here' etc only highlight thinly veiled but lightweight bigotry coming to the fore as it always does whenever the OF are in the frame.
Much as posters on here spout about how much they hate the OF, some cannot wait to get their dig in from one side of the other while qualifying it with the old 'I hate one as much as the other but.....' malarkey.
Only PeterDouglas has made any rational and reasoned argument and it would be a shame to lose his excellent post to obscurity, but this belongs on the Cheese board.
No Hibs and no football connection.

CentreLine
08-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I see that the club are now trying to distance themselves from the incident somewhat belatedly
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm
Maybe they read my earlier post about the damage they are doing to their hidden agenda

Sir David Gray
08-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm pleased that Celtic have taken the time to issue an apology and I hope they do ban these people from Parkhead. Since the Green Brigade is quite a high profile fans group, it shouldn't be difficult for the club to identify the top people within the organisation.

I'm quite sure that Celtic realise that they are in danger of being in serious trouble over this incident as the SPL does not look favourably upon political protests within their grounds, particularly when it's over something as sensitive as Remembrance Day.

Nakedmanoncrack
08-11-2010, 10:55 PM

These clowns made ***** of themselves again, doesn't alter fact that remembrance day has changed over the recent years, I don't wear one now. I don't see any reason why football players should be forced to wear them, anymore than anyone else.

McIntosh
09-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I've always found it amusing that tenth generation descendants of Irish immigrants still consider themselves more Irish than the Irish. It is really quite pathetic that whilst Ireland has resolved many of historical issues these people are holding on to it - this has more to do with their own illusionary self-image than any meaningful issue of substance. It is all very sad but ultimately it is psychosomatic of the deep insecurity of these people - they are more to be pitied than despised.
At the end of the day the demonstrators at Parkhead have the right not to wear the poppy but they have no right to callously insult the feelings of many grieving families and the memories of the dead.

ScottB
09-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I've always found it amusing that tenth generation descendants of Irish immigrants still consider themselves more Irish than the Irish. It is really quite pathetic that whilst Ireland has resolved many of historical issues these people are holding on to it - this has more to do with their own illusionary self-image than any meaningful issue of substance. It is all very sad but ultimately it is psychosomatic of the deep insecurity of these people - they are more to be pitied than despised.
At the end of the day the demonstrators at Parkhead have the right not to wear the poppy but they have no right to callously insult the feelings of many grieving families and the memories of the dead.

Particularly given their clubs history and lack of involvement in the Irish issues, unlike ourselves.

It's all nonsense whipped up to make money, a Scottish club with a load of Scottish fans obsessed with Ireland.

And whether you agree with Afghanistan, Iraq or whatever else, it's no bad thing to pay some respect to those who died in those conflicts, never mind the World Wars.

It's all well and good Celtic finally coming down on it now, where was the security or the stewards during the game? Why did it take till tonight? Have they condemned their fanbase for making death threats against referees yet?

Of course nothing will happen to them though, never does. And yet they are STILL paranoid that everyones out to get them.

Madness.

greenlex
09-11-2010, 02:00 AM

So do you agree with their sentiment or are you a poppy appeal supporter?

Jack
09-11-2010, 08:29 AM

That’s a good post.

I suppose they're a bit like the millions overseas who claim Scottish heritage but these diluted Irishfolks spread hatred and bigotry.

hibsdaft
09-11-2010, 08:45 AM
i don't agree with the protest but i don't understand on what basis Celtic think they can ban these people. they are entitled to make their point. its one that very few will agree with, but it is still their right. or does freedom of speach not exist in football grounds? personally i can't be arsed with bringing that stuff into football grounds, but you can't just ban it.

they are Celtic fans and have a say on what goes on the club's shirt. its their club as much as some plc chairman. and i half suspect they intention is to martyr themselves in that way tbh.

if they get banned it sets a very dangerous precedent imo.

Jack
09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
i don't agree with the protest but i don't understand on what basis Celtic think they can ban these people. they are entitled to make their point. its one that very few will agree with, but it is still their right. or does freedom of speach not exist in football grounds? personally i can't be arsed with bringing that stuff into football grounds, but you can't just ban it.

they are Celtic fans and have a say on what goes on the club's shirt. its their club as much as some plc chairman. and i half suspect they intention is to martyr themselves in that way tbh.

if they get banned it sets a very dangerous precedent imo.

A couple of things here.

Firstly, with freedom [of speech] comes responsibility. The responsibility of the individual to take in to account the freedom of other people living in the society which granted them that freedom in the first place.

The rules of entry into football grounds in Scotland forbids political statements. This is deemed to be a political statement they have made.

There must be a good couple of hundred folk involved with that banner, even just holding it up. I wonder how many will be banned.

khib70
09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Well said. That gets to the core of the issue here. Celtc are a Scottish football club with Irish roots (like us but later on the scene). They are not an Irish football club, and its pathetic that a gang of saloon bar romantics who've seen "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and own a couple of Wolfetones albums can decide that they are the True Voice of the club. I'd bet the most of them have never set foot on Irish soil.

But then, their real country is not Ireland but Oireland, a mythical land of heroic rebels and warrrior poets, which doesn't resemble modern Ireland in any way. And their conception of history is one which glosses over the thousands of Irish people who fought and died in British colours in WW1, just as it glosses over de Valera's hiding behind neutrality while the rest of Europe fought Fascism. And glosses over the senior IRA men who went to Germany to seek an alliance with Hitler.

Every club has their maverick mythologists, and the section of the yam support which thinks they own the act of remembrance is just as culpable as the terrorist apologists of the "Green Brigade". The wearing of a poppy on the strip for one game near the time of Remembrance Day is a restrained and dignified tribute to those who have died.

It's a dignified and appropriate thing. Far more so than these Guinness guerillas' celebration of those who brutally and cynically murdered soldiers and civilians, British and Irish alike.

And it goes without saying that this also applies to the morons on the other side of Glasgow whose whole mythological pantheon is based on the misinterpretation of the significance of a 17th Century battle.

Hell mend them all

Hibbyradge
09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
It doesn't surprise me, or particularly upset me, that there are elements within the Celtic support who are anti-Britain and consequently, anti-poppy/anti-remembrance.

What does surprise me is the unthinking, gullible sheep like behaviour of their fans.

Idiots.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzYAFOh7i-pFhfiebAM2CldFRj3MXOtnB_ovFnaaQGln_DSN0&t=1&usg=__xW-nqkH5h5yT1W0mY-5Y9y3TSvQ=

JimBHibees
09-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Well said. That gets to the core of the issue here. Celtc are a Scottish football club with Irish roots (like us but later on the scene). They are not an Irish football club, and its pathetic that a gang of saloon bar romantics who've seen "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and own a couple of Wolfetones albums can decide that they are the True Voice of the club. I'd bet the most of them have never set foot on Irish soil.

But then, their real country is not Ireland but Oireland, a mythical land of heroic rebels and warrrior poets, which doesn't resemble modern Ireland in any way. And their conception of history is one which glosses over the thousands of Irish people who fought and died in British colours in WW1, just as it glosses over de Valera's hiding behind neutrality while the rest of Europe fought Fascism. And glosses over the senior IRA men who went to Germany to seek an alliance with Hitler.

Every club has their maverick mythologists, and the section of the yam support which thinks they own the act of remembrance is just as culpable as the terrorist apologists of the "Green Brigade". The wearing of a poppy on the strip for one game near the time of Remembrance Day is a restrained and dignified tribute to those who have died.

It's a dignified and appropriate thing. Far more so than these Guinness guerillas' celebration of those who brutally and cynically murdered soldiers and civilians, British and Irish alike.

And it goes without saying that this also applies to the morons on the other side of Glasgow whose whole mythological pantheon is based on the misinterpretation of the significance of a 17th Century battle.

Hell mend them all

Excellent. :top marks

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 09:55 AM

"If you hate it so much,
...then why don't you go home?"

That is too simple and hunnish. To protest against the British ruling classes and even what the British army has done and is doing is not simply about being anti-British. My family is Irish and I live in Britain, but what is being done in Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan is not in my name and if I was asked I would have no British troops in any of those places.

The gloryfication of war is about those in power retaining or gaining more power. It has nowt to do with defence and it is not for the benefit of the British people as a whole. The poppy appeals have become far more political than just raising some dough for ex-servicemen and women. The government sends to war but it is unwilling to take full care of them when killed or maimed.

Agree with pretty much all you say. I don't like the commercialisation of the poppy appeal either, and question why it is being bigged up so much of late.

That said, for this group to behave as if they are captives of a fascist regime, like they have no freedom to walk away is pathetic. "Your deeds", is the key for me. If they want to put that distance between themselves and the state they live in there is a very good ferry service, not to mention cheap flights from Ryanair.

The fact is these people are nothing more than inadequate misfits who are constantly looking for someone else to blame for their own failings. Britain may have oppressed Ireland in the past, but the last time I looked the Irish people were making a big deal about how they are so clever and classless and free.

The correct protest for these guys would have been to stay away from the game. They have driven a wedge between themselves and their club, not to mention Celtic supporters who are soldiers.

I am getting pretty sick of this nipping away at Britain. Not because I think this is a great place to live, but because there are places in the world where people are dying for their freedom.

These little boys should just grow up, and find a girlfriend, then they might be less interested in playing at soldiers.

JackRegan
09-11-2010, 10:23 AM
So do you agree with their sentiment or are you a poppy appeal supporter?

Let me clear, I think the protest was a disaster carried out by self agrandising neds, who think they are political. They should be hunted, especially since this was the last year.

However I do not wear a poppy and don't agree with how it was foisted upon Celtic. Afterall it was Martin Bain who suggetsed this to Poppyscotland and it does not happen in England.

On a wider note, I feel the whole Poppy thing is using past milatry glories to justify hugley dodgy wars with which I have no truck at all. I think UK forces are being hung out to dry in a pointless war. I also feel uneasy at how it is now almost behsted that reverence be shown to our armed forces - that is wrong and worrying IMO.

JackRegan
09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Agree with pretty much all you say. I don't like the commercialisation of the poppy appeal either, and question why it is being bigged up so much of late.

That said, for this group to behave as if they are captives of a fascist regime, like they have no freedom to walk away is pathetic. "Your deeds", is the key for me. If they want to put that distance between themselves and the state they live in there is a very good ferry service, not to mention cheap flights from Ryanair.

The fact is these people are nothing more than inadequate misfits who are constantly looking for someone else to blame for their own failings. Britain may have oppressed Ireland in the past, but the last time I looked the Irish people were making a big deal about how they are so clever and classless and free.The correct protest for these guys would have been to stay away from the game. They have driven a wedge between themselves and their club, not to mention Celtic supporters who are soldiers.

I am getting pretty sick of this nipping away at Britain. Not because I think this is a great place to live, but because there are places in the world where people are dying for their freedom.

These little boys should just grow up, and find a girlfriend, then they might be less interested in playing at soldiers.

Agree with this.

actually one of the main protaganists is from Ballymena, yet I know real old school Irish republican who feel as if we should just let it go and "let the Brits have their day" to quote them. these are guys who were very much involved in the "troubles" - one had his brother murdered as it happens and even they think its time to move on.

That said most of the noises made against the poppy came from the aicsc.

Speedway
09-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Massive organs you could say.

That 'statement' is absolutely astounding, beyond words in fact. What the f'ing hell is going through their heads when writing such tripe and, even worse, trying to justify it?!

Thinking? justification? logic?. Away and have a lie down.

Because it's Scotland that is ashamed, not Celtic.

hibsbollah
09-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Hell mend them all

:top marks

son of haggart
09-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Hell mend them all

An excellent post.

I do think time is coming for some reflection on the infiltration of politics, religion etc into football grounds.

To my mind it would be better if there was no remembrance day recognition in grounds (Poppy sellers outside would be fine and people can choose whether or not they go for that. And the remembrance day ceremonies would take place at the appropriate memorials - including Macraes at Haymarket which most Hearts fans who want to remember in a non-jingoist way attend already)

Similarly I don't think there should be any minutes silence unless it is appropriate to the teams playing. The silence for the Pope at the Celtic Hearts semi for example was a pointless provocation given that every Catholic church would doubteless have its own way of paying respects (I was silent throughout it of course but it was obvious many would not respect it). The Mercer silence similarly could have been sensibly kept for another day.

A simple 'relevant and appropriate to football and the clubs playing' would be observed and respected by 99.99% IMHO - anything else and we are just looking for trouble

Skanko79
09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
the ****bags behind the banner should be locked up never mind banned from football. kick in the teeth for the folk that fought for this country during the war.

send rangers to northern ireland to play their football and celtic to the republic. problem solved.

Keith_M
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Firstly, I've already commented on this thread my disapproval of the actions of this group, so keep that in mind, but...

After Sunday's actions by our own mindless minorities (I'm including both clubs in this), it's quite hard at the moment to find any moral high ground to criticise other fans. Not only have we seen a derby game with coins, lighters and flares thrown, I've since read comments on here that it's either not a big deal or part of the derby atmosphere.

What has the most potential for damage, a banner or missiles being thrown on the pitch?

khib70
09-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Firstly, I've already commented on this thread my disapproval of the actions of this group, so keep that in mind, but...

After Sunday's actions by our own mindless minorities (I'm including both clubs in this), it's quite hard at the moment to find any moral high ground to criticise other fans. Not only have we seen a derby game with coins, lighters and flares thrown, I've since read comments on here that it's either not a big deal or part of the derby atmosphere.

What has the most potential for damage, a banner or missiles being thrown on the pitch?
Yes, absolutely. And to reflect what you say, I've commented critically on the actions of both sets of fans on Sunday. I think both behaviours are open to criticism in different but connected ways. The Celtc banner was intentionally provocative and could be used as ammunition by the kind of knuckledraggers who throw stuff onto the park at future matches, possibly endangering ordinary Celtc supporters, and anyone else who gets in the way.

The throwing of objects is obviously more directly dangerous and more likely to lead to bloodshed (or" blooshed" in the Green Brigade lexicon). Hopefully the handful of cretins responsible can be detected and banned, to send out a message to any other cowardly tosspot who thinks this behaviour enlarges his genitals.

Those who seek to excuse violence, hooliganism or mindless provocation at football matches on the grounds of "atmosphere" or machismo are just another part of the problem. Despite the protestations of the retro sentimentalists, football has come a long way in the right direction. There should be no going back.

greenlex
09-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Let me clear, I think the protest was a disaster carried out by self agrandising neds, who think they are political. They should be hunted, especially since this was the last year.

However I do not wear a poppy and don't agree with how it was foisted upon Celtic. Afterall it was Martin Bain who suggetsed this to Poppyscotland and it does not happen in England.

On a wider note, I feel the whole Poppy thing is using past milatry glories to justify hugley dodgy wars with which I have no truck at all. I think UK forces are being hung out to dry in a pointless war. I also feel uneasy at how it is now almost behsted that reverence be shown to our armed forces - that is wrong and worrying IMO.
I think you cant help yourself when it comes to a wee dig at Rangers. I think you will find they do it in England. I am sure I saw them at the weekend.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I think you cant help yourself when it comes to a wee dig at Rangers. I think you will find they do it in England. I am sure I saw them at the weekend.

The 'foisted upon Celtic' made me laugh. Another evil plot to make Celtic look bad.

blueisthecolour
09-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Jack I have stayed out of this thread for the reason it would look like a rangers fan trying to have a dig at celtic, I won't comment on my feelings about the situation, but please don't bring Rangers in to this, this thread has nothing to do with us, Your right though about English clubs not supporting poppyscotland but I think the clue is in the name, most english clubs will have a poppy on their top.

By all means put your point across but try keep Rangers out of it.

hibsdaft
09-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Firstly, with freedom [of speech] comes responsibility. The responsibility of the individual to take in to account the freedom of other people living in the society which granted them that freedom in the first place.

Don't follow this. In what way did that banner impinge on anyones freedom?

Anyway they were born here. And when most Scots-Irish originally came to the mainland Ireland was still part of the UK and that was hee-haw to do with freedom.

The rules of entry into football grounds in Scotland forbids political statements. This is deemed to be a political statement they have made.

If its political to be against a poppy on a shirt, then it must also be political to put a poppy on a shirt.

Hibs On Tour
09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Genuine question - will both Hibs and Hearts have poppys on their tops tomorrow?

I know a couple of years back, or was it last year? both teams had poppies embrollied onto their tops. Do we have it this year. :dunno:

All Scottish [or at least all SPL] teams will have poppies on their shirts next weekend.

greenlex
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Anyway they were born here. And when most Scots-Irish originally came to the mainland Ireland was still part of the UK and that was hee-haw to do with freedom.

If its political to be against a poppy on a shirt, then it must also be political to put a poppy on a shirt.
Garbage. The Poppy appeal is non political. It is a charity. It is anything but pro or anti war. I choose to wear one to remember people that give and gave so much to give me the freedoms to more or less do as I please and have the freedom to do such. I include my late dad in that who spent most of his adult life disabled doing it. The actions of the few at Parkhead makes me sick although I would defend their right to do it. Their political message does however have no place in football.

Hibs On Tour
09-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Because some on whatever side choose to take the poppy as being 'political' doesn't make it so. ********s like that can try to twist the truth to fit their agenda all day long but it doesn't make them right.

Think too many are looking at what the media do and say and what politicians do and say [strangely enough, a constant stream of lies from both camps] and somehow trying to tie the poppy appeal into being some part of that claptrap. Give up. That's just nonsense. The poppy appeal is about rememberance and about raising money to help old or injured service personnel - nothing whatsoever to do with politics. Its party-independant and naturally - being a fund-raising organisation - is going to get involved wherever and whenever it thinks it can raise a coin to support its cause.

If some Irish Republican really has so little clue about his history [8 players in WW1 died serving in the British armed forces - one got a VC, countless fans from various regiments in various other conflicts including those these tits mentioned on their badly-spelt banners] and what the poppy appeal is about that it ruffles his tender little feathers, as far as I am concerned he can **** right off over the water and keep his hatred for all things British over there.

I don't agree with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but I support the troops who had nothing to do with the decision and were sent there. Neither would I fly some banner at ER saying these wars were a disgrace or boycott the poppy appeal which has bugger all to do with them either. Somehow doubt I'd sing songs about the AQ 'freedom fighters' either... there's limits to how far you should bend over backwards to be empathetic about why ********s are being ********s IMHO.

Best fans in the world ma wee brown starfish! :bitchy:

hibsdaft
09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Garbage. The Poppy appeal is non political.

was non-political maybe. i remember when it was only about dignified remembrance. now we're getting beat in a war and after nearly 100 years they suddently want the poppy in the charts, on football jerseys, everywhere.

i don't wear a poppy when i'm out on the piss or playing fives, why do SPL footballers need to wear one when they are running around generally behaving like fannies, spitting, playacting, cheating? my great grandad would be totally bewildered. why though? because they've been told to wear them because politicians want more fuss of soldiers who are demoralised at getting killed for a pointless war in the middle of sh*ty desert for sh*te money.

the Celtic fans are wrong because the poppy appeal is for soldiers who don't chose where and when to fight, but if i had ancestors killed by at times a brutal occupational force i wouldn't be too concerned at the nuances either.

the mistake was letting politicians and hangers on let something as dignified as the poppy be abused for publicity schemes. if you chose to force something down folks throats don't be surprised if one or two tell you to get ****ed.

greenlex
09-11-2010, 07:12 PM
was non-political maybe. i remember when it was only about dignified remembrance. now we're getting beat in a war and after nearly 100 years they suddently want the poppy in the charts, on football jerseys, everywhere.

i don't wear a poppy when i'm out on the piss or playing fives, why do SPL footballers need to wear one when they are running around generally behaving like fannies, spitting, playacting, cheating? my great grandad would be totally bewildered. why though? because they've been told to wear them because politicians want more fuss of soldiers who are demoralised at getting killed for a pointless war in the middle of sh*ty desert for sh*te money.

the Celtic fans are wrong because the poppy appeal is for soldiers who don't chose where and when to fight, but if i had ancestors killed by at times a brutal occupational force i wouldn't be too concerned at the nuances either.

the mistake was letting politicians and hangers on let something as dignified as the poppy be abused for publicity schemes. if you chose to force something down folks throats don't be surprised if one or two tell you to get ****ed.
I think its more to do with modern day society rather than getting beat in a war. Surely no sane right minded person would be against this charity. As a football club or a league brand the decision has been made to wear the symbol on the member clubs shirts. If it was unicef, oxfam or band aid or whatever there would be no dabate IMO. it is being politicised by people who want to publicitise it for their own beliefs or agenda.
I am not sure what you mean by it being forced on people and being used for anything other than remeberance and raising cash for the charity.
Its a charity nothing more. People take what they want from wearing the poppy but it is sold to aid that charity.

Jack
09-11-2010, 07:19 PM

I was going to type a reply, explaining if you can’t understand the individuals responsibilities that go along with rights then society if is goosed (or words to that effect).

But Amnesty International have the answer – read it all, and if there are any problems take it up with them.

The right to freedom of opinion and expression should be one of the cornerstones of any society. This right includes "the freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media, regardless of frontiers" (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19). For more than forty years, Amnesty International (AI) has defended this right against attempts by governments across the globe to stifle religious dissent, political opposition and artistic creativity.

However, the right to freedom of expression is not absolute -- neither for the creators of material nor their critics. It carries responsibilities and it may, therefore, be subject to restrictions in the name of safeguarding the rights of others. In particular, any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence cannot be considered legitimate exercise of freedom of expression. Under international standards, such "hate speech" should be prohibited by law.

By wearing the poppy one is supporting those people affected as a direct result of conflict. As has been said before its non-political. If in your opinion politicians are pollicising take it up with them. I suspect the response will be along the lines of all parties support the poppy appeal and would not seek to gain an advantage by showing that support. IMO some show their support a little too nationalistically and should withdraw.

hibsdaft
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Jack, you can't seriously be saying that the Green Brigade banner represented a form of "hate speach" can you?

And the protest was against putting the poppy on the shirt, not the poppy itself. As far as i know they don't protest people in the stands wearing them or folk in the street distributing them (it would be disgusting if they did)

In their own words "It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman John Reid, the former Armed Forces Minister and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey".

i go back to my original point - if they are banned for their peaceful protest it sets a very dangerous precedent.

Dashing Bob S
09-11-2010, 08:11 PM
People, clubs, tv presenters etc shouldn't be compelled to wear a poppy because some twats in a government think tank somewhere decided this piece of social engineering is a good idea.

Why do we have poppies on strips? I was never an issue for clubs in the era of Sauzee or Kano or Stanton or Reilly. I loathe the corporate drama queens of the state hijacking everything with their Holywood mourning and foisting the package on the rest of us to try and induce mind-numbing uniformity of thought.

Anybody that tells them to stick their poppy at their backsides, for whatever reason, is perfectly entitled to do so. I might disagree them (and I certainly do in this case) but it's called democracy.

Hibs On Tour
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Lets cut to the chase here though. This lot aren't really bothered two friggin hoots about the poppy per-se. They're just using it as yet another excuse to foist their republican agenda onto the back of Scottish football, which could well do without it.

Woody1985
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
So Celtic are going to 'track down' and ban the people who organised it. Are they going to start with the guy from the Green Brigade who made a statement on their behalf?

I don't think it should be that hard to find them but I'm guessing they won't ban any of them.

khib70
09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Lets cut to the chase here though. This lot aren't really bothered two friggin hoots about the poppy per-se. They're just using it as yet another excuse to foist their republican agenda onto the back of Scottish football, which could well do without it.
:agree::top marks

hibee_nation
09-11-2010, 08:29 PM
The reason for the poppy getting bigged up as some have alluded too is for a very simple reason, they desperately need the cash. No longer are we donating money just for care of the elderly soldiers at Erskine and elsewhere, we are looking after an ever growing list of young men with multiple amputations and other horrific injuries which deserve our support. The guys go where they are told and don't get the luxury of picking and chosing who they fight. The poppy and Army are non political.

hibsdaft
09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
The reason for the poppy getting bigged up as some have alluded too is for a very simple reason, they desperately need the cash. No longer are we donating money just for care of the elderly soldiers at Erskine and elsewhere, we are looking after an ever growing list of young men with multiple amputations and other horrific injuries which deserve our support. The guys go where they are told and don't get the luxury of picking and chosing who they fight. The poppy and Army are non political.

in other words, the government would rather desecrate the poppy than pay up for the after-care the soldiers deserve.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
People, clubs, tv presenters etc shouldn't be compelled to wear a poppy because some twats in a government think tank somewhere decided this piece of social engineering is a good idea.

Why do we have poppies on strips? I was never an issue for clubs in the era of Sauzee or Kano or Stanton or Reilly. I loathe the corporate drama queens of the state hijacking everything with their Holywood mourning and foisting the package on the rest of us to try and induce mind-numbing uniformity of thought.

Anybody that tells them to stick their poppy at their backsides, for whatever reason, is perfectly entitled to do so. I might disagree them (and I certainly do in this case) but it's called democracy.

I agree with most of your post but the poppies on strips thing is nothing to do with enforced mourning or a state hijacking of the poppy, it's simply product placement. Charities use exactly the same techniques as big business these days. It's commerce driving this, not politics.

McIntosh
09-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Bob you are correct they do have that right and people equally we have a duty to state that their view are completely unacceptable and wrong. That is the heart of it, yes we all have rights but equally we all have responsibilities.

I was brought up by my wonderful grandparents. My grandfather died in 1963 and on his death certificate it stated his cause of death was emphysema, what it did not say was that his lungs had been effectively destroyed during a gas attack during the Great War. I often reflect upon his and that generation's stoicism and courage, they endured the horrors of the Great War, the depression and the second war and he didn't complain he concentrated on rebuilding a new Britain one where his grandson could be educated and have the opportunities that he was denied.

Millions of that generation did not survive and they died to preserve the rights of all our society for that their memories do not merely need to be respected but preserved. I will never know the countless millions who sacrificed their lives for mine but I am grateful for it.

One Day Soon
09-11-2010, 11:49 PM

You really think the wearing of poppies on football shirts is a giant government conspiracy? Who do you think is organising it and how?

JackRegan
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Jack I have stayed out of this thread for the reason it would look like a rangers fan trying to have a dig at celtic, I won't comment on my feelings about the situation, but please don't bring Rangers in to this, this thread has nothing to do with us, Your right though about English clubs not supporting poppyscotland but I think the clue is in the name, most english clubs will have a poppy on their top.

By all means put your point across but try keep Rangers out of it.

I'll bring the huns into it if I want.

Martin Bain started it when he asked if Rangers could put a poppy on thei r strip. also English clubs do not have to wear it - it has nothing to do with teh semantics of whether its teh UK wide or Scottish Poppy appeal.

Also, Don't bring Rangers into it? Then why do the huns get the army, navy or whoever on the pitch at every opportunity or use them to advertsie season tickets?

khib70
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Good piece in today's Scotsman by Tom English on this issue. Can't link to it because it's apparently "premium content" and I'm not paying the Hootsmon any more than the price of the paper, thank you.

The gist of it is that Celtc can move faster than lightning when protesting some perceived conspiratorial injustice involving referees. However, it takes them a full two days to come out with an anonymous statement about the GB erchies and their "protest".

It also points out that the GB dolts were singing IRA songs throughout the proceedings, unmolested by Celtc's stewards (the same one's who threaten Hibs fans with ejection for standing up). He particularly mentions the rent-a-rebels' rendition of "Sean South of Garryowen" and points out that Sean South was an anti-semitic Fascist supporter who wasn't from Garryowen.

You'd think if these buffoons were so committed to the "cause" they'd do their homework. Just as the hun tossers need to read up about what the Boyne was really all about.

And there's a nice dig at the yams at the foot of the page too.

To anyone with any sense, the Green Brigade are deluded plastic Paddies with a desperate need to be taken seriously. To Sellickfootballclub they are bums on seats and money in the bank The same applies to the ultrabigots of Govan. Sectarianism is big business for the ugly sisters. And if the likes of the GB can wrap it up to look like pacifism or political radicalism, it makes life a lot easier for everyone.

Kaiser1962
10-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Martin Bain started it when he asked if Rangers could put a poppy on thei r strip. also English clubs do not have to wear it - it has nothing to do with teh semantics of whether its teh UK wide or Scottish Poppy appeal.

Also, Don't bring Rangers into it? Then why do the huns get the army, navy or whoever on the pitch at every opportunity or use them to advertsie season tickets?

If Celtic fans are against the Poppy for "political" reasons its just a pity they dont have the same objections to cashing their Giro's. Save a fortune that would.

blueisthecolour
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Thats the way you do it Jack bring Rangers in to it to try deflect attention away from celtic, it's not working with this one.

Your hurting Jack, It doesn't matter who asked for it, would it have made a difference if hearts had asked for it or hibs ect.

It's not like you not to read the post first, where did I say english clubs had to wear the poppy?

Bringing armed forces on to the pitch is done throughout Britain by several clubs, giving them a chance to take in a game for free, im trying to work out whats wrong with that.

As I said Jack try to defend your team all you like but by bringing Rangers in to it says to me you are struggling.

Jack
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
For all those saying the EPL clubs are not wearing poppies on their strips Stoke and Birmingham had them on their strips last night.

I also read somewhere that Celtc are not allowing poppies to be sold at Darkheid. The reason given is they do not allow collections for anything. I suppose that anything other than ‘good’ Irish causes - or do they not allow these either now a days?

Betty Boop
10-11-2010, 07:13 PM
For all those saying the EPL clubs are not wearing poppies on their strips Stoke and Birmingham had them on their strips last night.

I also read somewhere that Celtc are not allowing poppies to be sold at Darkheid. The reason given is they do not allow collections for anything. I suppose that anything other than ‘good’ Irish causes - or do they not allow these either now a days?

I don't think anybody said that all English clubs are not wearing them. Man United and Liverpool opted out though.

Hibs On Tour
11-11-2010, 05:25 AM

Hell mend them all

Sorry - meant to reply to this the other day too. Quite simply the best summary of the entire situation I think I've seen on this board at any time. ENDOF. :agree:

Phil MaGlass
11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Who gives a toss what these monkeys think?

I can imagine Obama sitting in his office when one of his aides rushes in.

"Excuse me sir, I have some bad news. The green brigade have protested at the game against Aberdeen about remembrance day."

"NOOOOO! GET THE TROOPS OUT!"

Thing is. it made CNN and it puts the whole of Scotland in a bad light.****ba9s

cheltenhamhibee
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Jack you dont happen to be the spell checker for these idiots do you ?