PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

Stevie Reid
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Currently on a hat trick, already been a resounding success for Celtic. I never criticise the Hibs board or RP, I understand why we have to sell players and have always believed that Rod got the best possible deal for Hibs - except here.

No doubt it's more painful than other transfers because I don't recall a Hibs player being transferred to one of the OF and getting a regular game and being such a success so quickly - we are used to them sitting on the bench in most cases - but with every passing week the Stokes deal looks like the worst bit of transfer business Hibs have ever done. Very hard to take, especially given our current predicament.

matty_f
06-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Currently on a hat trick, already been a resounding success for Celtic. I never criticise the Hibs board or RP, I understand why we have to sell players and have always believed that Rod got the best possible deal for Hibs - except here.

No doubt it's more painful than other transfers because I don't recall a Hibs player being transferred to one of the OF and getting a regular game and being such a success so quickly - we are used to them sitting on the bench in most cases - but with every passing week the Stokes deal looks like the worst bit of transfer business Hibs have ever done. Very hard to take, especially given our current predicament.

Yep, I can accept the reasons why we sold Stokes and see that there were benefits in doing so, but it doesn't sit well when we're relying on Riordan and Trakys at best going into the derby tomorrow.

cabbageandribs1875
06-11-2010, 03:40 PM
here we go again, is there going to be a thread every single week stokes scores :greengrin

col02
I would assume there was more to the deal than we will ever know in the short term. The figure was low but with any luck there will be trogger clauses in there as Stokes will do well for them and be sold at some point for a decent profit.

Spike Mandela
At very least he can take penalties:wink:

--------
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Colin Stein? scored in his first game for Rangers, had a hat-trick against us in his second, went on to score a barrowload for them.

Stanton - his first League game for Celtic was at Tynie - a 3-0 win. It was absolutely clear that day why Celtic had signed him - and he never looked back.

Stevie Reid
06-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Colin Stein? scored in his first game for Rangers, had a hat-trick against us in his second, went on to score a barrowload for them.

Sorry Doddie, a wee bit before my time!

I must add that I appreciate it would've been nigh on impossible to keep him, it's the (apparent) price that we got that sticks in my throat.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
There were clearly non-footballing reasons for why the board decided to sell Stokes, Scott Lindsay and Rod Petrie have effectively said as much over the past couple of months, but it doesn't make it any easier to take when we are struggling at the foot of the table, particularly when we're pretty much relying on one player to score the majority of our goals.

7Hero
06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
stokes had massive potential and had been down to the premiership, i would imagine he signed on the basis that it was a stepping stone. unlike most of the players we have sold who have been homegrown, his transfer probably would have been more inevitable contractually...

nothing you can do about it, probably not the clubs fault, the players have the power..

Booked4Being-Ugly
06-11-2010, 03:51 PM

No doubt it's more painful than other transfers because I don't recall a Hibs player being transferred to one of the OF and getting a regular game and being such a success so quickly - we are used to them sitting on the bench in most cases - but with every passing week the Stokes deal looks like the worst bit of transfer business Hibs have ever done. Very hard to take, especially given our current predicament.Absolutely spot on. Selling Stokes for that money was a total disaster, especially on the last day of the transfer window! We'll NEED to finish top six this season or that 1.2M will be effictively p!ssed away.

James70
06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I doubt if Stokes ever intended being at ER for any length of time and may even have deliberately engineered the move to his boyhood heroes.

Stevie Reid
06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
here we go again, is there going to be a thread every single week stokes scores :greengrin

The more goals he scores, the worse the deal looks.

3pm
06-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I agree with you Stevie.

--------
06-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry Doddie, a wee bit before my time!

I must add that I appreciate it would've been nigh on impossible to keep him, it's the (apparent) price that we got that sticks in my throat.

Aw, yer jist a bairn! :greengrin

I suspect that Hughes really wanted Stokes, and Stokes would only come with a clause in his contract that forced us to sell him at a certain price - a price below his apparent true value. Bear in mind his signing was seen by quite a few as a fair bit of a gamble at first.

But yes - every goal he scores hurts. :agree:

BryanV
06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
He scored a hatrick in a nine goal victory, two of his goals were penalties. He has made a decent start to his Celtic career but to say he has been a resounding success is stretching. What I don't understand is that despite knowing that Stokes was likely to leave from at least June little seems to have been done to try and replace him and his goals.

lucky
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Lots of comment on how bad a deal Hibs got but the reality no one knows what the deal was. There has been speculation that there was a sell on clause in his contract is so RP had no choice.

delbert
06-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Anthony Stokes would not have come to Easter Road had there not been a clause inserted into his contract stating that if a bid of a certain amount, namely 1.25 mil came in, then it would be advised to him, and he could move if it suited him. The money came in, it was from the team he wanted to play for, and at that time Hibs were happy to see the back of him for reasons which have been well discussed, so whats not to understand. Would it have made any sense at all to try to hang on to a player who had clearly downed tools, as we appear to be having enough problems with the players we have who profess to want to play for us !!

erin go bragh
06-11-2010, 04:18 PM

andy goram, john collins.didia agath.ulrik laursen :agree:

aberhibsfc
06-11-2010, 04:38 PM

:agree:

sahib
06-11-2010, 04:42 PM
There were clearly non-footballing reasons for why the board decided to sell Stokes, Scott Lindsay and Rod Petrie have effectively said as much over the past couple of months, but it doesn't make it any easier to take when we are struggling at the foot of the table, particularly when we're pretty much relying on one player to score the majority of our goals.

Well, they would. Wouldn't they? - MRD

.Sean.
06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
**** Stokes, he clearly always had a desire to play for Celtic, in fact I seriously doubt he ever intended to spend more than a season with us.

He's also an absolute fanny off the field and caused plenty problems while with the club. Yes he scored goals, but the club are probably better off without him.

Stevie Reid
06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
andy goram, john collins.didia agath.ulrik laursen :agree:

Sorry, I meant more recently than Goram and Collins - they were different though, I didn't feel that we didn't get a good deal for either player, unlike with Stokes - if he had a sell on clause then fair enough, would be less painful knowing this though.

Whilst no doubt a resounding success, Agathe was on a short term contract with us and we paid the price - Stokes was one year into a 3 year contract.

Ulrik Laursen played 40 games in 4 years with Celtic.

HFC 0-7
06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
**** Stokes, he clearly always had a desire to play for Celtic, in fact I seriously doubt he ever intended to spend more than a season with us.

He's also an absolute fanny off the field and caused plenty problems while with the club. Yes he scored goals, but the club are probably better off without him.

True, but very very silly letting him go when we had no one lined up to replace him, as someone else has already said, the 1.2 million in transfer fees will now probably be offset by our league position due to, in part, no one scoring goals.

Hibernian Verse
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
He's gone...leave it be.

marinello59
06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
True, but very very silly letting him go when we had no one lined up to replace him, as someone else has already said, the 1.2 million in transfer fees will now probably be offset by our league position due to, in part, no one scoring goals.

Celtic wanted him, he wanted to go. There was only ever going to be one outcome. The price? I don't think we could have got more.

southfieldshibby
06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
The deal wasn't done when he had a great season with Hibs. The only reason a player of Stokes ability/pedigree came to Hibs was to showcase.

i'd take one of them every season if we get 20 goals plus.:agree:

matty_f
06-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Celtic wanted him, he wanted to go. There was only ever going to be one outcome. The price? I don't think we could have got more.

I think the price was driven by the fact that Celtc knew what they were buying, if the allegations and rumours about Stokes are true.

A £1.2m hit for Celtc if he doesn't work out isn't a risk for them, however if they're spending £2-3m+ they're going to want someone who comes without the baggage.

Celtc will have known that we were wanting rid, so they come to the table with an offer that is a compromise - decent enough(ish) to recognise that there's a good player there, and modest enough to recognise that he could be a major issue for them.

God Petrie
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, they would. Wouldn't they? - MRD

Yeah I bet they split the 1.25m amongst themselves and went to vegas for a week rite??????

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Lots of comment on how bad a deal Hibs got but the reality no one knows what the deal was. There has been speculation that there was a sell on clause in his contract is so RP had no choice.

I don't comment on speculation so just have to go with the fact that we sold a 23 goal a season striker for pennys.

23 goals better off. Sorry that should say worse off.

Yep, I can accept the reasons why we sold Stokes and see that there were benefits in doing so, but it doesn't sit well when we're relying on Riordan and Trakys at best going into the derby tomorrow.

Exactly - one striker plus another that's not fit/good enough and that's it.

HFC 0-7
06-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Not saying we should have got more, however, Hibs must have known he was always going to jump at an offer to go to the old firm. Celtic had been sniffing for a while, therefore Hibs should have had someone lined up a while agi, not letting him go on the last day with no one really coming in to replace. I dont buy that duffy was lined up as a replacement I think there was a bit of panic buying at the end.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with you Stevie.

He didnt want to stay and made it abundantly clear he was going to be hostile if forced to.

matty_f
06-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Not saying we should have got more, however, Hibs must have known he was always going to jump at an offer to go to the old firm. Celtic had been sniffing for a while, therefore Hibs should have had someone lined up a while agi, not letting him go on the last day with no one really coming in to replace. I dont buy that duffy was lined up as a replacement I think there was a bit of panic buying at the end.

Why can't Duffy have been the replacement? If he'd not gotten the injury that he had and knocked in a couple of goals by now we'd all have accepted that it was decent business.

We can't just discount Duffy's signing because he got injured, IMHO.

Stevie Reid
06-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Why can't Duffy have been the replacement? If he'd not gotten the injury that he had and knocked in a couple of goals by now we'd all have accepted that it was decent business.

We can't just discount Duffy's signing because he got injured, IMHO.

I would agree with this and I believe that Duffy could offer us a lot when he returns. However, we were still seriously light up front after the window closed.

Bostonhibby
06-11-2010, 06:53 PM

:agree: looks like we couldn't stop him going, and we even got money, I am not convinced this one was ever under our control and it was probably part of the deal that made it possible for us to get him in the first place that he could move on as he did. I have a feeling we got the best we could out of it and that the soap dodgers have got a few negative experiences to come with Anthony as well..........

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't think Stokes did particularly want to play for Celtic. He knocked them back in favour of Sunderland and his ambition was always to make it in the Premiership. Unfortnately he didn't make any impact down there and they were pretty much the only show in town cash wise.

Let's not be taken in by this 'i always wanted to...' guff and leave that to the weedgies it's designed for.

matty_f
06-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I would agree with this and I believe that Duffy could offer us a lot when he returns. However, we were still seriously light up front after the window closed.

:agree: though we don't know exactly what happened with trying to get people to the club, for example Gow was down as a stick-on to sign at one point, we also looked at other players.

I don't know how good/bad Trakys is. It was mentioned by Hughes that he wasn't fit when he first joined but surely he's fit now (and has been for a few weeks), so he's either been a bad panic signing, or there's more to come from him over the rest of the season. Far too early to be writing the guy off, IMHO.

I'm guessing Yogi knew how much money he had to spend on wages/transfers when he was bringing the likes of Brown, De Graaf and Duffy to the club. I reckon Duffy's signing probably pushed us close to budget, even allowing for Stokes' sale, so when he got injured and we needed someone else in, there just wasn't the money for bringing in better quality than Trakys (assuming he doesn't turn out to be effective, which possibly isn't a fair assumption at this early stage in his career at Easter Road).

IMHO, the same thing happened with Collins, who spent too much of his budget on the likes of AOB and Maka, so when it came to getting other players in there wasn't the scope to pay what we'd have liked, thus we ended up with many sub-standard players.

jdships
06-11-2010, 07:28 PM

:top marks

This has has been done to death , surely ?
The reasons for his leaving have been clearly stated on many occasions
Stokes had his cotract tightly aown up and at the same time it was in Hibs interests to sell hin sooner than later
End of !

:yawn:

Bostonhibby
06-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Stokes had his cotract tightly aown up and at the same time it was in Hibs interests to sell hin sooner than later
End of !

:agree: Wot he sed,wot I meant

jdships
06-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Stanton - his first League game for Celtic was at Tynie - a 3-0 win. It was absolutely clear that day why Celtic had signed him - and he never looked back.

Don't let's forget ANGUS PLUMB who in 1949 was transferred to Falkirk on a Wednesday and scored a "hat trick" against us , at Brockville , on the following Saturday !!!
:grr:

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2010, 07:41 PM

End of !

Not reasons, speculation and rumour have been stated on many occasions. It seems the club won't comment on speculation but have been happy at the AGM and that to make sure that we hear plenty speculation about why we sold a 23 goal a season man for pennys.

Big Frank
06-11-2010, 07:46 PM
the price Hibernian got is irrelevant.

There is a dearth of goalscorers at ER. Very poor timing, and to be honest, I can't see another team in the league bar the hibs doing it at that time.

hibsbollah
06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Anthony Stokes would not have come to Easter Road had there not been a clause inserted into his contract stating that if a bid of a certain amount, namely 1.25 mil came in, then it would be advised to him, and he could move if it suited him. The money came in, it was from the team he wanted to play for, and at that time Hibs were happy to see the back of him for reasons which have been well discussed, so whats not to understand. Would it have made any sense at all to try to hang on to a player who had clearly downed tools, as we appear to be having enough problems with the players we have who profess to want to play for us !!

thats the size of it:agree:

matty_f
06-11-2010, 07:53 PM
the price Hibernian got is irrelevant.

There is a dearth of goalscorers at ER. Very poor timing, and to be honest, I can't see another team in the league bar the hibs doing it at that time.

Aberdeen loaned Rangers their best full back in return for a crocked striker on the final day of the window.

Any club in Scotland would have sold if they'd got the money on offer from Celtc, with the exception of the Huns, and possibly the Yams.

I agree it was poor timing, but that happens with the transfer window. If Duffy had avoided injury then it wouldn't have been as much of an issue. I think we were very unlucky in that respect.

jdships
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Not reasons, speculation and rumour have been stated on many occasions. It seems the club won't comment on speculation but have been happy at the AGM and that to make sure that we hear plenty speculation about why we sold a 23 goal a season man for pennys.

Do not intend ri get involved in yet another thread about a player who has left - but YES REASONS.
As I have posted before I was in this lad's company twice in the weks before he left and he told me catagorically his contract was set up in such a way he had the last word on the club he went to.
Nice mant to sprak to .
As to his "attitude" try and speak to Hibs players , as I have, who knew him and they will tell you the reasons Hibs were happy to see the back of him.:wink:
As a "Weegie" joutnalist told me "..... just wait till he puts one foot wrong over here and the media will crucify him - he is a sitting duck with his track record "

Let's just accept and leave it we are well shot of him for his off the field activities.

jdships
06-11-2010, 08:12 PM

The part of your post highlighted is virtually word for word what AS told me on two occasions
Thank you - good post
Time to draw a line in the sand methinks :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Do not intend ri get involved in yet another thread about a player who has left - but YES REASONS.
As I have posted before I was in this lad's company twice in the weks before he left and he told me catagorically his contract was set up in such a way he had the last word on the club he went to.
Nice mant to sprak to .
As to his "attitude" try and speak to Hibs players , as I have, who knew him and they will tell you the reasons Hibs were happy to see the back of him.:wink:
As a "Weegie" joutnalist told me "..... just wait till he puts one foot wrong over here and the media will crucify him - he is a sitting duck with his track record "

Let's just accept and leave it we are well shot of him for his off the field activities.

The part of your post highlighted is virtually word for word what AS told me on two occasions
Thank you - good post
Time to draw a line in the sand methinks :greengrin

It's still speculation - the club have always said (in recent times) that we shouldn't listen to speculation, they'll confirm the truth.

I'll wait on their confirmation...

jdships
06-11-2010, 08:19 PM
It's still speculation - the club have always said (in recent times) that we shouldn't listen to speculation, they'll confirm the truth.

I'll wait on their confirmation...

Which is your perogative .:greengrin
Do us a favour and don't raise this subject a again until that happens - OK ?

:wink:

Capt Mainwaring
06-11-2010, 08:38 PM

It was the previous Manager who promoted the sale - not the Board.

Let it be - move on

Judas Iscariot
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
If Duffy was fit we'd not be having this discussion :cool2:

IWasThere2016
06-11-2010, 09:47 PM
We'll miss him - no doubt!

He was trouble and we were right to sell - no doubt!

Sold too cheap? - no doubt!

Properly replaced? - no need to comment!

Capt Mainwaring
06-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Properly replaced - no need to comment!

Wise words TQM

Shrekko
06-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Properly replaced? - no need to comment!

I really dont think if we were right to sell him for the rumoured reasons then we sold him too cheaply because there was only 1 interested club. All we could do was squeeze as much out of them as possible.

Daryll Duffy may well be a good replacement but we all know what happened there. People will say he didnt do much down South- a bit like Stokes then!

I actually think it was a bit ridiculous of the original poster to start the thread on the back of 2 penalties! Up until today Stokes had only scored 1 SPL goal for Celtic.

Yes he has potential but does he have the brains to fufill it? He certainly has a lot to work on as some of his play is terrible. I think we need to get over it tbh.

ReillyF5
06-11-2010, 10:20 PM
We had to sell him. Do you think Stokes would of tried a leg if he knew we blocked his move to Glasgow Sellick?

That is why he came back up north.

RP got the most he could get for him. Sometimes things dont go completely for us due to the way the OF dominate the lives of Scottish football.

Dont hate the playa, hate the game. :bitchy:

Betty Boop
07-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately Stokes and Hooper look like a great partnership. :boo hoo: