PDA

View Full Version : Worst Derby Misses

shamo9
05-11-2010, 12:22 AM
As with any Hibs fan, derby day usually brings more pain than joy. Unfortunately my masochistic mind has led me to recall those occasions where we really should've won, where we passed up chance after chance and let them sneak away with a point. Those occasions where you jump out your seat in expectancy only for a seemingly miraculous save sends you straight back down.

January 2005: Hibs 1 - 1 Hearts
The day Sam Morrow could've become a cult hero. Chance after chance... all missed. I remember O'Connor and Whittaker passed up a few as well, along with a customary quality free kick from Riordan being just pushed over the bar in the last five minutes.

October 2006: Hibs 2 - 2 Hearts
Mark Venus' one game as caretaker manager. What a start! We were two goals up in the first 10 minutes and you could almost feel something special was about to happen. Two Zibi blunders later and we're staring at one point instead of three when Rob Jones towers above everyone else to fire a terrific header into the corner... saved! Crap! How did Gordon get a hand to that? It really was a 'smash your programme against the wall' moment.

There's others of course (4-4:bitchy:), but those two are the ones that I remember most vividly. Let's hope for a rub of the green on Sunday:thumbsup:

Archie70
05-11-2010, 12:28 AM
2 Words - Tony Rougier!

shamo9
05-11-2010, 12:34 AM
2 Words - Tony Rougier!

What happened, can't remember:confused:

Another one I forgot was Derek Riordan's miss at Easter Road late in the game in his first derby back. He anticipated the backpass exactly like he did against ICT earlier in the season but couldn't get round the keeper.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10290~45525,00.html

Archie70
05-11-2010, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=shamo9;2626103]What happened, can't remember:confused:

Opposite end from us open goal, hits a trundler, think they knocked it by the post, not sure how he missed, too busY out my seat celebrating the goal that never was!!!

Sick Boy
05-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Not exactly a horrible miss but Whitty's shot in the 3-2 boxing day defeat in 2006 that had Gordon beaten all ends up and hit BOTH posts but didn't cross the line. I was already out of my seat about to start celebrating. It was also the game Deano won and scored a pen to bring us back level after going 2 behind but got sent off for charging into Gordon. All that and who popped up to score the winner and rub salt into the wounds but that wee diving Lith scrote Mikoliunas.:grr::boo hoo:

LEaston87
05-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Mixu trying a stupid chip fi the penalty spot and skying it over the bar in the dying minutes at Easter Road last derby of the season 2000-2001, it would have won us the game. Libbra tore Hearts apart that day but we just couldn't score!

Diclonius
05-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Fletcher in the Scottish Cup derby two seasons ago. Through on goal, if he'd shot anywhere other then at the goalkeeper it would've been in.

He then tries to take it round the keeper despite defenders on either side of him. Steven takes out his frustration a few minutes later on Berra and the rest is history. :boo hoo:

Storar
05-11-2010, 01:29 AM
as soon as I saw the title here all I could think was 'Sam Morrow'...

What about Didier Agathe on his debut!? That was a sore one. Or Tam McManus in the de la Cruz game when he was 1 on 1 with Niemi and tried to pass it in but somehow managed to sidefoot it out for a throw in:confused:

shamo9
05-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Not exactly a horrible miss but Whitty's shot in the 3-2 boxing day defeat in 2006 that had Gordon beaten all ends up and hit BOTH posts but didn't cross the line. I was already out of my seat about to start celebrating. It was also the game Deano won and scored a pen to bring us back level after going 2 behind but got sent off for charging into Gordon. All that and who popped up to score the winner and rub salt into the wounds but that wee diving Lith scrote Mikoliunas.:grr::boo hoo:

Can anyone explain to me what actually went on there? Shiels looked for all intents and purposes like he was trying to get the ball to keep the game going. Inexplicably, and in mid-motion, he suddenly twists his body awkwardly and flaps his arms into Gordon's face. It's like he was trying to run him over rather than punch him!

Did Gordon say anything? Maybe it's my fertile imagination but I think I remember Gordon made light of Shiels' sight problems, could be wrong though.

marinello59
05-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Can anyone explain to me what actually went on there? Shiels looked for all intents and purposes like he was trying to get the ball to keep the game going. Inexplicably, and in mid-motion, he suddenly twists his body awkwardly and flaps his arms into Gordon's face. It's like he was trying to run him over rather than punch him!

Did Gordon say anything? Maybe it's my fertile imagination but I think I remember Gordon made light of Shiels' sight problems, could be wrong though.

I had a video clip of this on my old phone. Deano was trying to retrieve the ball quickly. Gordon, being a sneaky yam ******* clearly shifted position to impede him making collision inevitable.
I don't recall Gordon making light of Deano's sight, even he wasn't that low. Unlike the lowlife maroon hordes in the stands.

deeks01
05-11-2010, 07:58 AM
wotherspoons long range peach from last seasons 1st derby :( was already up celebrating and going daft till my mate screamed "its no in" right in my face , was gutted lol but realised I hadn't actually seen it hit the back of the net! one to many beers on the way up methinks :grr: :faf:

Pretty Boy
05-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Didier Agathe.

Rounds the keeper, 6 yards out, trundles it towards goal, Yam gets back and clears it 'off the line', replays show it was going wide anyway.

Inexplicable. Mind you the next derby that season made up for it.

There were so many games during THAT run when we really should have taken all 3 points, so many times we were 1-0 or 2-1 up and somehow conspired to lose a late goal. If wee fat Robbo hadn't have been around our derby record would have looked so much better in that period.

dangermouse
05-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Turning this on it's head, what about Hans Eskillson's (sp) miss right in front of an open goal. :faf::faf::faf:

ahibby
05-11-2010, 09:54 AM
During the game they won 1-2 IIRC in which Derek scored a screamer coming in from the left in to the top right hand corner, he actually missed a great chance in the six yard box prior to scoring the screamer. Should have been 2-2.

MartinfaePorty
05-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Sandy Clark during a mind-numbing 0-0 draw at ER, sometime in the mid-80s. Rounded Roughy and then, on a very muddy pitch, didn't give the ball enough oumph to get it over the line and the danger was cleared. One bright spot in an otherwise miserable game.

K.Marx
05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Not exactly a horrible miss but Whitty's shot in the 3-2 boxing day defeat in 2006 that had Gordon beaten all ends up and hit BOTH posts but didn't cross the line. I was already out of my seat about to start celebrating.

Still remember that chance so vividly...I was sitting about 4 rows back towards the Weatfield side of the Roseburn Stand, ball clipped the inside post and looked for the world like it was going to swerve back into corner :boo hoo:

Ritchie
05-11-2010, 10:40 AM
as soon as I saw the title here all I could think was 'Sam Morrow'...

What about Didier Agathe on his debut!? That was a sore one. Or Tam McManus in the de la Cruz game when he was 1 on 1 with Niemi and tried to pass it in but somehow managed to sidefoot it out for a throw in:confused:

i almost cried!! :boo hoo:

mikey1875
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
As with any Hibs fan, derby day usually brings more pain than joy. Unfortunately my masochistic mind has led me to recall those occasions where we really should've won, where we passed up chance after chance and let them sneak away with a point. Those occasions where you jump out your seat in expectancy only for a seemingly miraculous save sends you straight back down.

The day Sam Morrow could've become a cult hero. Chance after chance... all missed. I remember O'Connor and Whittaker passed up a few as well, along with a customary quality free kick from Riordan being just pushed over the bar in the last five minutes.

Mark Venus' one game as caretaker manager. What a start! We were two goals up in the first 10 minutes and you could almost feel something special was about to happen. Two Zibi blunders later and we're staring at one point instead of three when Rob Jones towers above everyone else to fire a terrific header into the corner... saved! Crap! How did Gordon get a hand to that? It really was a 'smash your programme against the wall' moment.

There's others of course (4-4:bitchy:), but those two are the ones that I remember most vividly. Let's hope for a rub of the green on Sunday:thumbsup:

De Graff sunday 90th minute :boo hoo::boo hoo:

Steve-O
05-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I seem to recall Darren Jackson being clean through at Tynecastle once, ran all the way from the halfway line to the 18 yard box on his own and then dragged the shot wide :grr:

cam75
05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Degath exuse was the grass wass to long it got caught under his feet:taxi

Diclonius
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
wotherspoons long range peach from last seasons 1st derby :( was already up celebrating and going daft till my mate screamed "its no in" right in my face , was gutted lol but realised I hadn't actually seen it hit the back of the net! one to many beers on the way up methinks :grr: :faf:

Ditto.

shamo9
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I had a video clip of this on my old phone. Deano was trying to retrieve the ball quickly. Gordon, being a sneaky yam ******* clearly shifted position to impede him making collision inevitable.
I don't recall Gordon making light of Deano's sight, even he wasn't that low. Unlike the lowlife maroon hordes in the stands.

But you see even that sounds ridiculous. Is Shiels so uncoordinated he couldn't stop or turn or dive down to grab the ball?

And why would he be sent off for a collision, in open play it would be a yellow at worst? We should've definitely appealed if there'd been a misunderstanding. Did the ref deem it violent conduct in his match report? Surely anyone with half a brain can realise that whatever it was, no one would ever deliberately deck a player right in front of the ref after making it 2-2 in a derby. If it was Celtic in an old firm game then they'd probably threaten to resign from the league if the game wasn't replayed.

It's surely right up there with Grant Brebner as the most ridiculous red card in a derby.

lyonhibs
05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
A lot of these misses are actually cracking saves. Fletcher's one where he totally bottled shooting sticks in the memory, and Benji's fresh air swipe at Tynecastle in the game they won 1-0 with a Velicka header/Maka blunder.

On the other side of the coin, Fatty Nade missed a couple of absolute sitters in the 0-0 game, Murray's 2nd debut.

HibbyAndy
05-11-2010, 02:18 PM

I remember that game very clear..Absolute battered them in the 2nd half..Miss after miss. Like you say the Morrow header he put wide :boo hoo::boo hoo:

Shiels an absolute bawhair away from connecting at the back post, Riordan freekick 30 yards out pushed over the bar.

Another Derby where we absolute pagared them and came away without our just rewards.

They Always have been lucky barstewards.