PDA

View Full Version : You get home and find your kids wearing a football top

Jack
04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Its not a Hibs one. :devil:

So which would be the worst strips that they could be wearing and which would you not mind?

Me

I’d be p’d off (tactful for biting my tongue while raging :grr:) with any other SPL top. In fact any other Scottish top apart from Dunfermline – their granddad played from them in the 60s and got a Cup Winners medal against the Hearts so its OK by me, :top marks not sure what will happen when they hopefully get promoted. :dummytit:

Couldn’t care less about any other club strip from any other country, or any national strip for that matter.

lyonhibs
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd be trying to "influence" their choice irrespective of what other SPL team it was, but there would be strong, unequivocal words if it was an OF or H***s top.

Then again, I'd probably have to look at myself in the mirror if my kids wore anything other than a Hibs top!!!

Gatecrasher
04-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I wouldnt mind anything other than Livi, Hearts or the OF.

Then again, I'd probably have to look at myself in the mirror if my kids wore anything other than a Hibs top!!!

i kind of agree with that as well though

aussie_hibee
04-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I would take it off them and burn it there and then. I would then get a new hibs top for said kid and explain that the only tops permitted in the house are hibs, Scotland, austalian and man utd. I would then take the ashes from the burnt top in an envelope and hand them back to whatever clown was stupid enough to waste their money and also let them know that if it happens again they will be cut out of our lives for being a twat.

Hainan Hibs
04-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Any Hibee that has a child that doesn't support Hibs has failed as a parent. End of thread.

The_Horde
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd find the utter tramp who got them the top and burn them to the ground.

Diclonius
04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
My Dad, as a Celtic fan, successfully drilled it into me NEVER to support Rangers from an early age. I'll be following suit, but expanding it to include both Old Firm sides. Hearts I could just about tolerate if it meant they'd not support the OF.

Killiehibbie
04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Killie tops in my house which doesn't bother me too much.

Sir David Gray
04-11-2010, 12:42 PM
No child of mine would ever wear a Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool, Manchester City or England top.

Although, as others have already said, if my child wanted to wear the top of any Scottish football team other than Hibs, I would need to ask some serious questions of my parenting skills.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
The only tops that would be deemed acceptable in my house would be Hibs, Barcelona and Real Betis. I'd maybe let an English club side slide as i had an English team as a boy.

The one that would hurt me the most would be Rangers, closely followed by Celtc. Hertz would be 3rd although the one blessing if it was that would be that at least it wasn't an OF top.

IWasThere2016
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
My Dad's a Hun - so thankfully he's a 'failed parent' :rolleyes:

I 'saved' my younger brother and he is a Hibby too! :thumbsup:

My eldest son is a Hibby :thumbsup:

My youngest son is an Arab - wooed by peer pressure, the opportunity to train with them, and pics of holding the SC etc .. I've had him to ER, but he's an Arab! :boo hoo:

MrHibs1982
04-11-2010, 12:58 PM
If i came home and my son was wearing a strip other than hibs i would be wondering who would be buying a strip for my son that wasnt hibs and talking to them....i would hardly blame the boy himself!!

If however my son came to me and said dad i wanna support [insert team name here] then thats his choice not much i can do about it!

Dunbar Hibee
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I wouldnt mind anything other than Livi, Hearts or the OF.

i kind of agree with that as well though

Why Livi may I ask??

Owain_1987
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I would not allow my kid to wear any top but Cardiff, Hibs, Scotland and Wales as am half of each. Although if they wore a Man United top or a top from a team in europe I would not mind to much as long as they knew who was number 1 :greengrin

JimBHibees
04-11-2010, 01:01 PM
;2625479']I'd find the utter tramp who got them the top and burn them to the ground.

Thats brilliant. :greengrin

Bristolhibby
04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I am heading this one off at the pass.

I slow drip drip of Hibs has entered my 2 year old sons mind.

We have a signed hibs shirt (present from my best men at my wedding. Signed by the CIS winning squad, with good luck on your wedding day), hanging up above the stairs. I have been pointing this out to my lad since day dot, and teaching him Hibs songs.

Got him Hibs stuff from an early age and got him a Hibs shirt for his birthday last year.

Will be looking to pick up a Hibs shirt for his Christmas this year.

Same process will happen with my second son, due in March.

Get them early, encourage them to sing songs and chants. Reward them with praise when they do so. Throw in the odd Hibs shirt and other related gift, then come the right time, take them along to their first game.

Me and my Dad practiced this tactic on my cousin when he was wee. His background was a rugby father (my Mums brother) with a hinbt of Jambo.
We sucessfully brought him round to the right side.

Shirts I would hate are England, Hearts, Celtic or Rangers.
Infact, I would hate any other shirt unless it were Hibs or Scotland. He can wear other teams shirts, if he has been there on holiday, or likes the shirt. But essencially these would just be fashion items.

The real shirts should be Hibs and Scotland.

J

Bostonhibby
04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
i might be wrong here but I think you can divorce children?
Either that or put them in the garden shed with several years supply of bread, until they see the light.

BroxburnHibee
04-11-2010, 01:19 PM
My son is a Hibby thankfully and has even started picking up the songs at the games however...................

What do you do when he wants to play FIFA and always wants to go Rangers :confused:

Wee bit worried like. :grr:

BroxburnHibee
04-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Any Hibee that has a child that doesn't support Hibs has failed as a parent. End of thread.

:top marks

easty
04-11-2010, 01:29 PM

I've got 2 wee brothers, both were at the Skol cup victory with me and my dad. One is now a Hearts fan though, I dunno what happened there.

Is my dad a failure as a parent or does MeatLoafs adage of "2 out of 3 aint bad" fit here?

heretoday
04-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I married into a Hearts family and they couldn't be nicer but I was ever watchful when my lad spent time with his uncles and cousins.

It was during the 80s too when Hibs were pretty hopeless. Then Wallace Mercer came along with his big idea.

The boy was upset and outraged. Thanks Wallace!

Skol Cup win put the seal on the deal.:scarf:

Posh Swanny
04-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm going to have to put a strict Supernanny style timetable in place for my kids, whenever they come along. 75% of football shirt wearing time will be allotted to a Peterborough shirt, the other 25% in a Hibs shirt. Except when England are on the telly when they'll be in an England shirt, or when Scotland are on the telly (assuming England aren't on the other channel) when they will be permitted to wear a Scotland shirt. The only other ones allowed will be Man Utd but only for special occasions, or Newcastle but only because its a cool strip.

Either of the OF would be a sickener. A Jambo top would lead to an interesting discussion that I would win. Cambridge will have gone bust by then and they'll be doing well to find a Northampton one so should be OK there.

erin-go-bragh87
04-11-2010, 01:53 PM

:top marks

monktonharp
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
never let uncle Jambo sleep wi' the bairns,never know what might happen

Dunbar Hibee
04-11-2010, 01:57 PM
My son is a Hibby thankfully and has even started picking up the songs at the games however...................

What do you do when he wants to play FIFA and always wants to go Rangers :confused:

Hmm, i'd get that sorted.

Gatecrasher
04-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Why Livi may I ask??

I Just cant stand them :greengrin

I just see them for whats wrong with football, they move towns, ripping the club out of its routes to try and get more money (WLC Paid for the stadium IIRC), spent their way (Gretna style) to the SPL and a peice of Silverware then paying for that by going into administration twice. At best they are a mid table 1st division club with the odd stint in either the league above or below that

monktonharp
04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
my auldest laddie was invited to a scottish cup final a long time ago,with his aunt and uncle jambo. I put my foot down(stormed oot the hoose actually) and he was disallowed. them eejits were even going to buy him the full regalia. nae chance o' that happening. my auldest is now bringing up his 2 kids in Wales,complete wi' the full Hibby rig-out,replaced yearly:greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
04-11-2010, 02:02 PM

I just see them for whats wrong with football, they move towns, ripping the club out of its routes to try and get more money (WLC Paid for the stadium IIRC), spent their way (Gretna style) to the SPL and a peice of Silverware then paying for that by going into administration twice. At best they are a mid table 1st division club with the odd stint in either the league above or below that

Yeah i suppose I see what your saying but one of my good mate's is a Livi fan and I actually have a lot more respect for their fans more so than the club because of the commitment and passion to them, fair enough the club has not been around that long but they have followed them from 3rd to the SPL and the SPL to the 3rd and I feel sorry for them all the things they have had to put up with.

snooky
04-11-2010, 02:18 PM

So which would be the worst strips that they could be wearing and which would you not mind?

Me

I’d be p’d off (tactful for biting my tongue while raging :grr:) with any other SPL top. In fact any other Scottish top apart from Dunfermline – their granddad played from them in the 60s and got a Cup Winners medal against the Hearts so its OK by me, :top marks not sure what will happen when they hopefully get promoted. :dummytit:

Couldn’t care less about any other club strip from any other country, or any national strip for that matter.

My late mother-in-law once heavily hinted she was going to buy my grandson a Hun top (from an offer in the Daily Ranger).
I managed to build up quite a head of steam before I realised she was winding me up.
Jeez, and I thought she liked me. :greengrin

Owain_1987
04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
i might be wrong here but I think you can divorce children?
Either that or put them in the garden shed with several years supply of bread, until they see the light.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Big Frank
04-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Me

Neither of my 2 sons would be allowed into my cave sporting a rankgers or celtc or yam top.

NOLA
04-11-2010, 04:47 PM

you do live in broxburn:wink: probably has alot of hun pals at school

RickyS
04-11-2010, 05:02 PM
English team as a 2nd team = acceptable

Celtic = chucked oot

Rangers = chucked oot

Yams = your nae son of mine:greengrin

easty
04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
English team as a 2nd team = acceptable

Celtic = chucked oot

Rangers = chucked oot

Yams = your nae son of mine:greengrin

Aye.....I can see it now, the latest episode of Jeremy Kyle - "I want a DNA test - he can't be mines, he's a jambo".

RickyS
04-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Aye.....I can see it now, the latest episode of Jeremy Kyle - "I want a DNA test - he can't be mines, he's a jambo".

:thumbsup:

500miles
04-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd stop taking them to football, and start taking them to swimming lessons. With Michael Barrymore.

If it's no Hibs, it's no right.

Jack
04-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Think this is officially known as boarding school :wink:

I'm_cabbaged
04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Thankfully I've got the opposite problem, maybe brain washed them too much!!!

Regularly have to tell my youngest to calm down at the games (especially when we score against the OF and hertz) he's even been pulled by the stewards (********s) he goes that mental. :greengrin

The Tubs
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM

I've strangely enough got time for Livvy. They've got a catchment area which is practically pure old firm; if they marketed the club right hopefully they could draw a few away. All densely population areas should have a club I think, it brings a little identity and civil pride.

As for the topic at hand, if I have a son, he's getting turned onto poetry or crocheting. Supporting Hibs (and the majority of fitba teams) is a form of suffering I could never inflict on another human being.

Bostonhibby
04-11-2010, 06:53 PM
My son was born in England into a Hibs family, just as I was beginning to move from him having all the Hibs gear to actually going to a game, at the age of 5 or 6he asked me about Heart of Midlothian and what it was, right out of the blue but they do pick up bad habits at that age.

As we were in the city I took him up the High St, and explained all about the stone and the history of spitting on it every time we go by as a tradition, 17 years on and it is a tradition he happily continues when he is up for his beloved Hibs games or just with friends from England who are happy to continue this quaint Scottish tradition.

Vini1875
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM
The parents have to be blamed, not even for a bet should kids be allowed to put on a hearts strip.

The_Todd
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Any SPL top would be fine. I'm all for kids making their own decisions, after all I support a different team to my dad (he's a Timothy).

However, I'd draw the line at either OF team, Hearts or Swansea City.

LancashireHibby
04-11-2010, 07:54 PM
My lad has had very little choice in the matter - he gets a Hibs top for each birthday and Christmas and a ton more of Hibs stuff besides. He came with me to the Blackpool friendly and joined in with the Deeko and Hibees chants, and now happily winds his mum up shouting 'Hibees' from the top of the stairs each morning. He's only three though so I'm not lighting my cigar just yet - his grandad on his mum's side bought him a Wigan Athletic kit once and as a result I haven't spoken to him since!

Don't think there's any risk of him wearing a Huns/Celtic/Hearts top but it'd crush me if he asked for a Man Utd top.

Sylar
04-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't mind my kid (when that eventually happens...) supporting a team other than Hibs, so long as there was good reason for doing so.

I.e. - I have no intention of living in the central belt of Scotland (inclusive of Glasgow and Edinburgh), so if we end up living in, say, Dundee, Perthshire, Angus etc, I wouldn't have any objection if they wanted to support their local side (be it United, Dundee, St Johnstone, Forfar, Arbroath....). I would have a problem with either of the Glasgow sides or Hearts - not because I "hate" these teams (life's a bit short to "hate" football teams), but because they have no connection to these clubs.

In all honesty, I'd try and "interest" them in other sports anyway, as Scottish Football is a black hole for both money and entertainment.

IWasThere2016
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
'other sports, S?

Golf? Then he could wear a bandit strip like his dad! :faf: :wink:

Sylar
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
'other sports, S?

Golf? Then he could wear a bandit strip like his dad! :faf: :wink:

:greengrin - I have those cards to hand in by the way - can't wait to see my winter HC.

But yes, other sports - Ice Hockey (both me and my other half are regulars at the Dundee games these days), golf, American football, lacrosse (I've played at collegiate level for 5 years now and it's GREAT fun)...

I don't have any enthusiasm for football whatsoever right now, so I wouldn't try and get my kid into it if it was something I couldn't get excited about myself. If (s)he get into it as a results of pals at school or the like, then fair enough, but I won't be encouraging it myself.

IWasThere2016
04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
:greengrin - I have those cards to hand in by the way - can't wait to see my winter HC.

Stick them in an env., and hand behind the bar for the Secy :wink: I'll put a wee word in for you too :cool2:

Removed
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM

:agree:

Only other strips my kids want to wear are Arsenal & Barcelona. There is no danger they would support any other Scottish team and they already have a healthly dislike for Man U & Chelsea :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
05-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Once made my then 7 year old's mate stand outside in the rain when he was wearing a hun strip. Always changed when he came to my house after that.

Bohemian_Hibee
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
In order..... Shamrock Rovers, Celtic,...in fact anything resembling green and white hoops