PDA

View Full Version : Hart's Comments on Calderwood's Tactics

Speedway
03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
It was interesting to listen to Michael Hart's comments about how the defending coaching has changed since CC arrived.

He said that whereas under Yogi, the tactic was to have both full backs attacking together with the wide mids tucking in, CC has got rid of that and given the defence back to basics lessons in defending and a target of keeping a clean sheet asap.

Hart seemed to agree with CC's way of doing things (which he would do) but that Yogi's system didn't suit him.

Synopsis here:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20101102/hart-expecting-passionate-derby_2262950_2205537

I wonder how many other players didn't like the way they were coached to play?

JimBHibees
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
It was interesting to listen to Michael Hart's comments about how the defending coaching has changed since CC arrived.

He said that whereas under Yogi, the tactic was to have both full backs attacking together with the wide mids tucking in, CC has got rid of that and given the defence back to basics lessons in defending and a target of keeping a clean sheet asap.

Hart seemed to agree with CC's way of doing things (which he would do) but that Yogi's system didn't suit him.

Synopsis here:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20101102/hart-expecting-passionate-derby_2262950_2205537

Interesting quote, tend to agree with Calderwoods view also. Time to get back to basics and make us difficult to beat we have enough decent defenders to put together a good defence IMO.

DC_Hibs
03-11-2010, 02:11 PM

"wide mids tucking in" is OK if you have the full backs to hit the bye line and deliver good crosses (for two forwards preferably) otherwise it means no width which is exactly what we have had for some time.

ahibby
03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Quite right we don't have a Bale or Useless De La Cruz to hit the bye line. How I would love to have one that could do it effectively and who wouldn't, but what we have just doesn't do it. So we have to use them in the defence role. It is a pity because I think the most successful teams will have right and left backs who can take the ball to attack and deliver a telling pass/cross or score. Despite his lack of pace David Murphy was better at turning defence in to attack than anyone we have in the team at the moment.

stubru59
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Back to basics is a euphemism for doing what you should be doing anyway.

Get that bit right and the rest will follow.

Golden Bear
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
My eyesight must be failing fast as I saw very little evidence of "attacking full backs" when Yogi was Manager.

:confused:

shamo9
03-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Quite right we don't have a Bale or Useless De La Cruz to hit the bye line. How I would love to have one that could do it effectively and who wouldn't, but what we have just doesn't do it. So we have to use them in the defence role. It is a pity because I think the most successful teams will have right and left backs who can take the ball to attack and deliver a telling pass/cross or score. Despite his lack of pace David Murphy was better at turning defence in to attack than anyone we have in the team at the moment.

You don't need pace when you have a touch like him. Every time the diagonal came his way (not enough for my liking!) he would kill it, stone dead, bought him that extra 5 yards.

While both Murphy and Whittaker were great fullbacks, I wouldn't say they were really renowned for getting to the byline. Murphy would usually stop, look up and curl it into the 6 yard box from deep (a la O'Connor in 'you're not unbeatable'). Whittaker, on the other hand, would use his skill and pace to turn inside and try one from the edge of the box on most ocassions - unfortunately his shooting has vastly improved now he's at Rangers.

Good times...

HibeeMcGinn1
03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
My eyesight must be failing fast as I saw very little evidence of "attacking full backs" when Yogi was Manager.

Played Witherspoon right back for a whole season.

haagsehibby
04-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I would just like to see the central defenders get their head on the ball at set pieces. Most of the highlights I've seen this season has us at panic stations every time the ball comes into the box.

Pretty Boy
04-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Agree with this.

Everytime a full back got the ball in an 'attacking position' under Yogi they would get about 10-15 yards into the opponents half and then always, and i mean always, look to cut inside and pass it on. Whether this was the choice of the player or the instruction from the manager i have no idea.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-11-2010, 02:41 PM
In short, we are trying to get better from the back by not letting goals in, than trying to win by hoping to score more.

anon1
04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
In short, we are trying to get better from the back by not letting goals in, than trying to win by hoping to score more.

If Calderwood can get the defence sorted. Expect plenty of 1-0 wins!

Golden Bear
04-11-2010, 02:52 PM
If Calderwood can get the defence sorted. Expect plenty of 1-0 wins!

I'll happily accept that - bring it on!

:thumbsup:

Vini1875
04-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll take two in the next two weeks, please

brydekirk
04-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I'll happily accept that - bring it on!

:thumbsup:

me tae, startin on sunday :thumbsup:

Glasgow Hibee
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Don't give a toss whether players liked it or not, they are there to do what their boss tells them, just like the rest of us. It's the manager who decides the tactics (right or wrong) and the players job to do what he wants.

AK86
04-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I get the impression CC is saying to them
" stop acting like phannies and more like pro footballers." I dont think he is impressed with the quality or mindset of what he has been left with
Back to basics is "starting all over again"

Im warming to the man, just what our club needs:agree:

in-me-pocket
04-11-2010, 10:45 PM
You don't need pace when you have a touch like him. Every time the diagonal came his way (not enough for my liking!) he would kill it, stone dead, bought him that extra 5 yards.

While both Murphy and Whittaker were great fullbacks, I wouldn't say they were really renowned for getting to the byline. Murphy would usually stop, look up and curl it into the 6 yard box from deep (a la O'Connor in 'you're not unbeatable'). Whittaker, on the other hand, would use his skill and pace to turn inside and try one from the edge of the box on most ocassions - unfortunately his shooting has vastly improved now he's at Rangers.

Good times...

cr@p

erskine-hibby
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM

I saw very little evidence of defending full backs when Yogi was manager:agree:

Arch Stanton
05-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Agree with this.

Everytime a full back got the ball in an 'attacking position' under Yogi they would get about 10-15 yards into the opponents half and then always, and i mean always, look to cut inside and pass it on. Whether this was the choice of the player or the instruction from the manager i have no idea.

It isn't that they weren't attacking then - more that they were attacking badly.:agree:

I assume you are using the phrase "pass it on" as a euphemism for looping the ball aimlessly into the box which is what I recall mostly. Donating the ball to the opposition with your fulbacks pushed forward is just inviting them to hit you on the break.

KeithTheHibby
05-11-2010, 01:22 PM

Synopsis here:

Could explain why Galbraith started against Dundee United. It would be interesting to see him having a run at the yam fullbacks.

BEEJ
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Don't give a toss whether players liked it or not, they are there to do what their boss tells them, just like the rest of us. It's the manager who decides the tactics (right or wrong) and the players job to do what he wants.
Indeed.

But equally after several weeks / months of trying a system that is patently not working, the players have every right to prefer alternatives and even to express such opinions to the Manager at the appropriate time.