PDA

View Full Version : Media Andy Murray on Sky Sports News

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
WTF?, posing with a hun strip?, saying "well the stadium is just around the corner from where I'm playing so I may go round to watch"

Eh? is the media portraying him as a celeb hun?

Any self respecting Hibernian supporter wouldn't even hold that rag in their hands :bitchy:

Ragin at that!

SlickShoes
02-11-2010, 08:15 AM
He's not a SUPPORTER though, he is a professional tennis player and i doubt he has much time to give hibs a second thought.

Hibbyradge
02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I doubt Andy Murray suffers from a lack of self respect!

It's just that he doesn't live in this intense little world that the rest of us do, so he's not blighted by the same emotions as the rest of us are.

I'm pretty sure he's better off being indifferent to all the petty bigotries which we're saddled with.

Edit: What's happened to my grammar? :bitchy:

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
He's not a SUPPORTER though, he is a professional tennis player and i doubt he has much time to give hibs a second thought.

:agree:

He's probably been asked to do a marketing piece by the tour in the hope of Huns buying tickets for the tennis while they're in Valencia.

Didn't he also play for a Rangers boys team while he was trying out other sports when he was 13/14?

Hibbyradge
02-11-2010, 08:41 AM

He's probably been asked to do a marketing piece by the tour in the hope of Huns buying tickets for the tennis while they're in Valencia.

Didn't he also play for a Rangers boys team while he was trying out other sports when he was 13/14?

He's a famous Scot in Spain at the same time as Rangers are playing there.

The assumption would be that he would want the Scottish team to win. Many non Rangers fans will.

It would have been sensationalised if he had refused to do it.

heretoday
02-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Correct!

Steve-O
02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
If I was gonna get a free ticket and happened to be there, I'd probably go as well, although I wouldn't be 'posing' with the strip, whatever that consisted of?

IWasThere2016
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
He's a famous Scot in Spain at the same time as Rangers are playing there.

The assumption would be that he would want the Scottish team to win. Many non Rangers fans will.

It would have been sensationalised if he had refused to do it.

:agree: Jumbo pal - who has Tannadice ST :confused: - is going to support them!

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 09:19 AM
the guy has never been to easter road in his life.

Mac
02-11-2010, 09:29 AM

Nonsense!!

I am guessing this is more to do with him being a big Barcelona fan than anything to do with that lot, im sure he wasnt exactly comfortable holding it.

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Nonsense!!

I am guessing this is more to do with him being a big Barcelona fan than anything to do with that lot, im sure he wasnt exactly comfortable holding it.

he was quoted in the papers last year before the derby saying how if he had time off he would love to make his first trip to easter road a derby as he has never been to e/r before.

great hibs fan him.

Speedway
02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
If you're trying to be known as a winner, why would you associate yourself publicly with Hibs?

MacBean
02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
oooooooohh Andy Murray, you used to be a Hibee then you sold your soul

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
If you're trying to be known as a winner, why would you associate yourself publicly with Hibs?

He's no a winner though, he's about as good at winning things as us.

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 09:51 AM

:hilarious

If you disregard the umpteen tour events and several masters series events he has won, that is.

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 09:52 AM

If you disregard the umpteen tour events and several masters series events he has won, that is.

aye, murray has won several masters right enough.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM

It always amazes me this fascination football supporters have with what team other sportsmen and women support.

Has anyone ever thought to ask derek Riordan who his favourite boxer is? Anyone know if Wayne Rooney has a soft spot for the Boston Red Sox? What about Messi, is he a Ronnie O'Sullivan fan?

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Unlike in football, were every trophy that you can win holds quite a high level of significance (especially to smaller clubs like us), in tennis you are not really seen as a success if you dont win atleast one Grand Slam. Im sure Andy Murray has even said as much himself.

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Unlike in football, were every trophy that you can win holds quite a high level of significance (especially to smaller clubs like us), in tennis you are not really seen as a success if you dont win atleast one Grand Slam. Im sure Andy Murray has even said as much himself.

complete bollocks. As with golf, you could name umpteen nobodies who fluked their way to one major win who are far less known than players who have come close several times to one of those wins and have won many other titles.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 10:03 AM
complete bollocks.

Ok answer this question then , do you think if Andy Murray never wins a Grand Slam in his career he will look back upon his achievements as a great success?

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Ok answer this question then , do you think if Andy Murray never wins a Grand Slam in his career he will look back upon his achievements as a great success?

Yes, as long as he gets the most of out of what natural talent he has, which I believe he does. He is unfortunate to be playing in the same era as arguably the two greatest players of all time.

Does Colin Montgomerie?

Pretty Boy
02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Yes, as long as he gets the most of out of what natural talent he has, which I believe he does. He is unfortunate to be playing in the same era as arguably the two greatest players of all time.

Does Colin Montgomerie?

Or a certain newly crowned worlds number 1 golfer for that matter.:greengrin

Game, set and match i think.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
yes. Does Colin Montgomerie?

We will have to agree to disagree on that one then as I think Murray would look back with regret if he never manages to win a Grand Slam.

Montgomerie? Probably much the same, one of the first things people refer to about Monty when talking about his career is his failure to win a Major. Also Golf is different to tennis , in that there are lots and lots of TOP players who have the ability to win majors so I would say its harder.

How many people have won Grand Slam events in the past 5 or so years (the same length of time Murray has been a professional)? I dont know the number but would imagine its only a handful of players.

hibee62
02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
What he posted on twitter a few weeks ago:

andy_murray I support hibs, don't support an english team just love the english league, arsenal chelsea playing the best football to

7Hero
02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
complete bollocks. As with golf, you could name umpteen nobodies who fluked their way to one major win who are far less known than players who have come close several times to one of those wins and have won many other titles.

Got to disagree with this,

Im not saying murray isn't a good tennis player, he is that, but unless he wins a slam and thus will have to beat nadal and federer when it really matters ( In a slam final) he will never be regarded as "great".

JimBHibees
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Of course he will, to get to being top 4 in the world is a massive success in anyone eyes. Obviously he would want to win a major however cant imagine he will consider himself a failure if it doesnt happen.

Part/Time Supporter
We will have to agree to disagree on that one then as I think Murray would look back with regret if he never manages to win a Grand Slam.

Montgomerie? Probably much the same, one of the first things people refer to about Monty when talking about his career is his failure to win a Major. Also Golf is different to tennis , in that there are lots and lots of TOP players who have the ability to win majors so I would say its harder.

Is that so? If anything it is easier, because every very good player has a puncher's chance of winning. Whereas in tennis if you have the misfortune to come up against one or two absolutely top players on a regular basis, it can be harder to win.

How many people have won Grand Slam events in the past 5 or so years (the same length of time Murray has been a professional)? I dont know the number but would imagine its only a handful of players.

Australia: Federer x3, Nadal and Djokovic
France: Nadal x4 and Federer
Wimbledon: Federer x3 and Nadal x2
USA: Federer x3, del Potro and Nadal

Sir David Gray

Complete and utter nonsense.

"We went to most home games when we were seven or eight and quite a few of the away games where they were close enough to home. I can remember our dad taking me to Ibrox and I started crying because it was too loud – but in my defence I was only eight at the time."

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibsdaft-Andy-Murray-reveals-he.5018338.jp

he was quoted in the papers last year before the derby saying how if he had time off he would love to make his first trip to easter road a derby as he has never been to e/r before.

great hibs fan him.

Again, I refer you to the above quote from Andy Murray last year which totally contradicts the point you make here.

I know you might want your claim about Murray never having been at Easter Road in his puff to be true but I'm afraid it's completely incorrect.

Your previous claims were wrong, this is just ridiculous. :faf:

He's been the number two player in the world, has a winning head-to-head record against the player who is widely regarded to be the best tennis player in the history of the sport, has been to two Grand Slam finals and sits 7th in the all-time list of the number of Masters events won.

OK, he's yet to win a Grand Slam but the guy's only 23 years old and has had to compete with two of the greatest players of all time.

Speedway
What he posted on twitter a few weeks ago:

andy_murray I support hibs, don't support an english team just love the english league, arsenal chelsea playing the best football to

Yeah, but that was Andy Murray, construction worker from Gilmerton.

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Got to disagree with this,

Im not saying murray isn't a good tennis player, he is that, but unless he wins a slam and thus will have to beat nadal and federer when it really matters ( In a slam final) he will never be regarded as "great".

He's beaten Nadal twice in grand slam semi finals.

JimBHibees
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
He's been the number two player in the world, has a winning head-to-head record against the player who is widely regarded to be the best tennis player in the history of the sport, has been to two Grand Slam finals and sits 7th in the all-time list of the number of Masters events won.

OK, he's yet to win a Grand Slam but the guy's only 23 years old and has had to compete with two of the greatest players of all time.

Completely spot on. For what it is worth personally think he will win a major and when he wins one he will win more IMO.

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibsdaft-Andy-Murray-reveals-he.5018338.jp

Again, I refer you to the above quote from Andy Murray last year which totally contradicts the point you make here.

I know you might want your claim about Murray never having been at Easter Road in his puff to be true but I'm afraid it's completely incorrect.

ok so he's quoted no more than 6 months ago in the papers and on the scottish news saying he's never been to easter road in his life. How do you you know otherwise? im sure if he had been to easter road the papers would be all over it but funnily enough its never happened.

the guys the next tim henman.

MacBean
02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
He's beaten Nadal twice in grand slam semi finals.

and then faced Federer on at least one of those occasions... A bit like us beating both halves of the old firm in a cup competition...

oh wait, we did that, then lost to Livi.. :grr:

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, but that was Andy Murray, construction worker from Gilmerton.

He's not actually a construction worker, he just dresses that way on a friday night:wink:

lapsedhibee
02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
and come back when he's won something that matters you plum.

Hard to believe that a genuine Hibs fan could take this attitude, when Hibs have not won a cup 'that matters' for >100 years. Are you a yam? :dunno:

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Hard to believe that a genuine Hibs fan could take this attitude, when Hibs have not won a cup 'that matters' for >100 years. Are you a yam? :dunno:

So your saying the Skol cup and League cup didnt/dont matter to you. You sound more like the yam to be honest with that kind of drivel.

Bad Martini
02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Murray's entitled to his opinion I suppose....

Me - I'd rather remove my eye balls, drop them in smelly auld vinegar that's been frementing for 3 years, thereafter sticking a hot poker in my eyeless sockets, whilst singing the sash, doing the funky chicken with one rolled up trooser leg and wrapped in the butchers apron than watch THOSE biggoted *******s. Indeed, free ticket or even paid to go, I'd rather spend 25 years watching paint dry whilst inflcting the above mentioned pain on myself than watch the huns.

In short, I'd decline the ticket. And offer them a suggestion as to which orraface they can ram it....

ENDOF

lapsedhibee
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
So your saying the Skol cup and League cup didnt/dont matter to you. You sound more like the yam to be honest with that kind of drivel.

It's not rocket surgery, but I'll go slowly for you:

You're the one that's saying that a sportsman isn't much good if he doesn't win a certain high-prestige tournament, like a "Grand Slam" event, even though he wins plenty else.

I'm the one that's saying Hibs are worth supporting even though they haven't won the high-prestige tournament for a very long time.

Get it now? :dunno:

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
ok so he's quoted no more than 6 months ago in the papers and on the scottish news saying he's never been to easter road in his life. How do you you know otherwise? im sure if he had been to easter road the papers would be all over it but funnily enough its never happened.

and come back when he's won something that matters you plum. the guys the next tim henman.

The Edinburgh Evening News (which was where I got the link that I provided in my last post) is a newspaper.

I have provided evidence that says he has attended Hibs games as a child. Do you have any evidence that explicitly states that Murray has never been to Easter Road in his entire life?

If so, let's see/hear it.

If you mean that he hasn't been to watch Hibs since he became really focussed on his tennis career, i.e. in the past 8 or 9 years or so, then I guess he's guilty as charged. But if you want to make it as a world class sportsman, the dedication that you must have to succeed means that going to watch a football match on a Saturday afternoon, instead of going to tennis tournaments, attending training camps and going to gym sessions, is just something that you cannot afford to do.

I know that might sound alien to someone who believes that it's entirely unthinkable to miss a Hibs game but sometimes people have other priorities that take precedence over attending a game of football.

It doesn't, however, make Andy Murray any less of a Hibs fan because of that.

He publicly declares, whenever he's asked the question, that Hibs is his team and that is good enough for me.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM

You're the one that's saying that a sportsman isn't much good if he doesn't win a certain high-prestige tournament, like a "Grand Slam" event, even though he wins plenty else.

:dunno:

Like I said in my original post in this thread I dont think you can compare the two sports. Every trophy that can be won in football does hold quite a high level of significance unlike some others sports such as Tennis , all IMHO.

People are too quick to roll out the old "sound like a yam" nonsense when people simply disagree.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Murray's entitled to his opinion I suppose....

Me - I'd rather remove my eye balls, drop them in smelly auld vinegar that's been frementing for 3 years, thereafter sticking a hot poker in my eyeless sockets, whilst singing the sash, doing the funky chicken with one rolled up trooser leg and wrapped in the butchers apron than watch THOSE biggoted *******s. Indeed, free ticket or even paid to go, I'd rather spend 25 years watching paint dry whilst inflcting the above mentioned pain on myself than watch the huns.

In short, I'd decline the ticket. And offer them a suggestion as to which orraface they can ram it....

ENDOF

I'd do the same mate, but I'm not particuarly upset about Murray doing this, it's not like he has said Rangers is the only club he has ever supported. He's just a scot doing his bit to promote a scottish team who happen to be in the same city as him right now.

This is a guy who spends something like 45 weeks of the year on tour, and most of his time off training for the next season, I don't think he will get a lot of time to worry about football politics.

Also, to the people saying murray is not an all time tennis great, can you name a better scottish tennis player from anytime in the past or present?

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
The Edinburgh Evening News (which was where I got the link that I provided in my last post) is a newspaper.

I have provided evidence that says he has attended Hibs games as a child. Do you have any evidence that explicitly states that Murray has never been to Easter Road in his entire life?

If you mean that he hasn't been to watch Hibs since he became really focussed on his tennis career, i.e. in the past 8 or 9 years or so, then I guess he's guilty as charged. But if you want to make it as a world class sportsman, the dedication that you must have to succeed means that going to watch a football match on a Saturday afternoon, instead of going to tennis tournaments, attending training camps and going to gym sessions, is just something that you cannot afford to do.

I know that might sound alien to someone who believes that it's entirely unthinkable to miss a Hibs game but sometimes people have other priorities that take precedence over attending a game of football.

He publicly declares, whenever he's asked the question, that Hibs is his team and that is good enough for me.

Wearing a Rangers top does though.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Ian Murray has worn a rangers top, Derek Riordan occasionally(very) wore a celtic top, you still support them every week.

Seriously, get a grip it's not that big a deal.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Ian Murray used to wear a Rangers top. I suppose that makes him less of a Hibs fan as well?

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Also, to the people saying murray is not an all time tennis great, can you name a better scottish tennis player from anytime in the past or present?

The logic of being the best Scottish player making you an all time great doesnt quite stack up though. Is the best ever Scottish cricket player / sprinter ect ect an all time great?

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Ian Murray used to wear a Rangers top. I suppose that makes him less of a Hibs fan as well?

Difference being it was his job to wear it (and Riordan) , it was what he was paid to do so no problem there.

Andy Murray wore it by choice. Big difference.

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Ok, unfortunately i dont have time to sit around and trawl the internet for old Andy Murray interviews. I will however have a look when i get home, I am certain that he said he has NEVER been to Easter Road in his life and would love to make an edinburgh derby his FIRST ever visit.

Secondly, i really dont know where you are coming from with your comments regarding my beliefs that its unthinkable to miss a Hibs game as i have never once stated that on this board EVER.

Lastly i would just like to remind you Andy Murray is totally gash and has never/will never win a majour tennis tournament.

lapsedhibee
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Like I said in my original post in this thread I dont think you can compare the two sports. Every trophy that can be won in football does hold quite a high level of significance unlike some others sports such as Tennis , all IMHO.

People are too quick to roll out the old "sound like a yam" nonsense when people simply disagree.

'Sound like a yam' doesn't get rolled out nearly as often as 'Henman was rubbish because he didn't win Wimbledon', and now 'Murray will have been a failure if he never wins a grand slam'. I don't see any difference between these two false statements and 'Hibs have been rubbish for 108 years'.

Why is the Scottish League Cup any more 'significant' than any of the Masters tournaments that Murray has won? :confused:

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm the one that's saying Hibs are worth supporting even though they haven't won the high-prestige tournament for a very long time.

Get it now? :dunno:

To be honest i dont get much of the rubbish you come out with.

Your to busy accusing people of being Yams than actually coming out with anything worth having a read at.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Difference being it was his job to wear it (and Riordan) , it was what he was paid to do so no problem there.

Andy Murray wore it by choice. Big difference.

I'm not actually sure he wore a Rangers top anyway. In the story I saw earlier on Sky Sports News, he was simply holding the top up for a photo, whilst the other guy (I didn't catch his name) was holding up a Valencia top.

It's probably not something that I would have chosen to do but at the same time, I really can't get too over-excited by it.

He's over in Valencia playing in a tournament at the same time that a Scottish team is playing in Valencia and some journalists have got in touch with his media people and asked them if they can arrange a photo session to promote the Valencia tennis tournament and also give a little bit of coverage to the Valencia-Rangers match.

I really don't see the big issue.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Why is the Scottish League Cup any more 'significant' than any of the Masters tournaments that Murray has won? :confused:

How many Masters tournaments a year are there? 10? Hibs have a realistic chance of winning 2 trophies a year. Simply the amount of trophies that are competed for in each sport makes it more siginificant IMO.

HibbyAndy
02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok, unfortunately i dont have time to sit around and trawl the internet for old Andy Murray interviews. I will however have a look when i get home, I am certain that he said he has NEVER been to Easter Road in his life and would love to make an edinburgh derby his FIRST ever visit.

Secondly, i really dont know where you are coming from with your comments regarding my beliefs that its unthinkable to miss a Hibs game as i have never once stated that on this board EVER.

Lastly i would just like to remind you Andy Murray is totally gash and has never/will never win a majour tennis tournament.

No idea why he would say that when he HAS been to Easter rd, FACT.

Ive read his autobiography and he is standing inside the stadium getting his picture taken with a certain Gareth Evans before the match.

Pictures dont lie.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
The logic of being the best Scottish player making you an all time great doesnt quite stack up though. Is the best ever Scottish cricket player / sprinter ect ect an all time great?

Yeah but I think he is a bit better at tennis than our cricket team is at cricket:confused:

lapsedhibee
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
How many Masters tournaments a year are there? 10? Hibs have a realistic chance of winning 2 trophies a year. Simply the amount of trophies that are competed for in each sport makes it more siginificant IMO.

Well if that's your logic then the Drybrough Cups and Summer Cup that Hibs won in the 1960s/70s were far more significant than either the League Cup or the Scottish Cup, as there were only a handful of them to compete for in the whole of the last century. :na na:

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Ive actually found the article and i do hold my hands up and apologise. its a derby he has never been too so im sorry. there haha.

he's still p1sh though.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Well if that's your logic then the Drybrough Cups and Summer Cup that Hibs won in the 1960s/70s were far more significant than either the League Cup or the Scottish Cup, as there were only a handful of them to compete for in the whole of the last century. :na na:

Drybrough and summer cups in the 1960's? Smacks abit of desperation along with your childish smiley.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah but I think he is a bit better at tennis than our cricket team is at cricket:confused:

Without a doubt. Your point was though that as he is the best ever Scottish tennis player he is an all time great , how?

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Ok, unfortunately i dont have time to sit around and trawl the internet for old Andy Murray interviews.

Neither do I actually but it took me all of about two minutes to find the article that I provided earlier in the thread. All I had to do was type "Andy Murray Hibs" into google and it was the first hit.

I will however have a look when i get home, I am certain that he said he has NEVER been to Easter Road in his life and would love to make an edinburgh derby his FIRST ever visit.

I look forward to reading/hearing this article. I hope you manage to find it.

No, you're quite correct, you didn't say that. You are however suggesting that because he hasn't been to a Hibs game in a long time (or as far as you're concerned, has never been to a Hibs game in his life) that he is somehow an inferior Hibs fan to someone who goes every week.

I have simply suggested that it might be a bit difficult for the guy to get over to Edinburgh, Hamilton or Inverness to watch Hibs, when he's in Shanghai, Paris and Melbourne playing tennis tournaments practically every week of the year and when he's not playing tournaments, he's in Miami at a training camp.

Seriously, you're just making yourself look silly now. You might be proved right by saying that he will never win a Grand Slam, only time will tell on that one, but to state that Andy Murray is "totally gash" is quite frankly ludicrous.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Without a doubt. Your point was though that as he is the best ever Scottish tennis player he is an all time great , how?

Kenny Dalglish never won the world cup!!

Neither did george best or ryan giggs

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Kenny Dalglish never won the world cup!!

Neither did george best or ryan giggs

Neither of whom even played in a major tournament. Obviously that means that both of them were complete guff.

lapsedhibee
02-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Drybrough and summer cups in the 1960's? Smacks abit of desperation along with your childish smiley.

Not at all desperate. You introduced the concept of frequency of tournaments as the criterion for significance. I merely continued your logic.

Hank Schrader
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
he's still p1sh though.

Yeah, really pish.

Two grand slam finals and six elite level Masters titles.

Yup, you are correct, he is very pish. Why don't you perhaps just quit this thread before you make an even bigger twat of yourself? :dunno:

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Neither of whom even played in a major tournament. Obviously that means that both of them were complete guff.

Exactly, and Pele never even won the european championships, absolute fraud:greengrin

vahibbie
02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

I have to assume that's not meant to be taken seriously.
He might never win a Grand Slam event (altho I think he will) but he's a very long way from being totally gash.

hibee62
02-11-2010, 12:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Denness :greengrin

Barman Stanton
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, really pish.

Yup, you are correct, he is very pish. Why don't you perhaps just quit this thread before you make an even bigger twat of yourself? :dunno:

Couldnt agree more. Although it is quite funny watching him make a twat of himself at the same time. Pish!? Lol, thats brilliant! He is the best British modern day tennis player and has the best record out of everyone against the greatest player ever.

I hope Skanko comes on to comment when he does win that Grand Slam!

Skanko79
Yeah, really pish.

He's nothing but an also ran, a complete bottle merchant. just because he supports Hibs makes him a world beater in some people eyes. You will be telling me the fish is a great musician and john leslie is an all round nice guy next.

aberhibsfc
I'd do the same mate, but I'm not particuarly upset about Murray doing this, it's not like he has said Rangers is the only club he has ever supported. He's just a scot doing his bit to promote a scottish team who happen to be in the same city as him right now.

This is a guy who spends something like 45 weeks of the year on tour, and most of his time off training for the next season, I don't think he will get a lot of time to worry about football politics.

His ex-coach and Baltacha, but obviously Murray is the greatest ever Scottish tennis player, maybe even Brit of all time, yeah Perry won it way back when but what was the standard like compared with today, who knows.

I think Murray is hitting a wall in the finals, when he eventually does break this duck I believe he will go on to fight it out with Nadal / Federer for titles. There is not a lot between them and Murray has got a better head to head certainly with Federer possibly Nadal also now.

Murray's a Hibby, he is probably trying to avoid controversy ala Anyone But England period and just playing it Neutral. I have no doubt he is a Hibby and believe he will eventually crack a grand slam. It's a very fine line, I think it's more mental than ability that's getting in his way.

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Couldnt agree more. Although it is quite funny watching him make a twat of himself at the same time. Pish!? Lol, thats brilliant! He is the best British modern day tennis player and has the best record out of everyone against the greatest player ever.

I hope Skanko comes on to comment when he does win that Grand Slam!

Here, fair play to the laddie if he does but i cant see it happening. Brittish Tennis?? are you having a laugh mate, are you aware of how much of a laughing stock brittish tennis is at the moment?

Jack
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Yes I would say they are greats in their chosen sport. Even if you cannot accept their chosen sport surely you can see that to become the best in the country is an achievement. More having a go at others rather than you SunnyLeith!

To become a professional sportsman is something most of us can only dream of – so that’s an achievement.

Andy Murray has achieved the #1 in Scotland and #1 in the UK. At 23 he has established himself as one of the top players in the world with years ahead of him. That’s not an achievement my arse! :faf:

Aldoo
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Ive read his autobiography and he is standing inside the stadium getting his picture taken with a certain Gareth Evans before the match.

Pictures dont lie.

Beat me to it Andy, thats a fact 100%, the picture was taken during one of the open days had back in the early nineties trackside beside the old main stand. I'm sure Gareth will have the picture framed by now.

As for the debate about Murrays quality, despite the fact he may never win a major he is without a doubt the role model all young Scottish athletes (yes, including football players) should aspire to, he lives his life like a total professional, too many examples of this professionalism to mention but for one example take the fact during the off season after taking about 2-3 days off he heads off to Miami to get even fitter, faster, stonger in preparation for the new season and not off to the beaches and nightclubs of the Mediterranean to get wasted.

For his sheer dedication and commitment to being the best he can be he deserves more respect than all the gifted wasters (of which there are plenty) that pollute Football, combined.

Since90+2
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes I would say they are greats in their chosen sport. Even if you cannot accept their chosen sport surely you can see that to become the best in the country is an achievement. More having a go at others rather than you SunnyLeith!

To become a professional sportsman is something most of us can only dream of – so that’s an achievement.

Andy Murray has achieved the #1 in Scotland and #1 in the UK. At 23 he has established himself as one of the top players in the world with years ahead of him. That’s not an achievement my arse! :faf:

Definately an achievement and he is a very good player who I hope does win a Grand Slam.

I stand by my original point (which seems to have went bit off topic) in that he himself , never mind joe public , will look back with regret if he never manages to win a Grand Slam and will probably look back on his career contentely rather than as a great success.

vahibbie
02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
For his sheer dedication and commitment to being the best he can be he deserves more respect than all the gifted wasters (of which there are plenty) that pollute Football, combined.

and Easter Road has seen more than it's fair share:bitchy:

Part/Time Supporter
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
He's nothing but an also ran, a complete bottle merchant. just because he supports Hibs makes him a world beater in some people eyes. You will be telling me the fish is a great musician and john leslie is an all round nice guy next.

World number 4 (prev. #2) is a "complete bottle merchant" and not a world beater?

Quit while you're (way) behind.

easty
02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
World number 4 (prev. #2) is a "complete bottle merchant" and not a world beater?

But he's never won a Grand Slam.....he's nae Goran Ivanisevich I tell ye!:rolleyes:

.Sean.
02-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Can't quote as i'm on my phone, however I saw Andy Murray on Easter Road prior to a match two or three christmases ago. May have been against Killie, really not sure.

hibsbollah
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
IIRC when he was asked about supporting Hibs a few years ago, he said something about 'we used to have a French bloke who was quite good a few years back' but then couldnt remember Sauzee's name....

So i don't think he's a serious supporter.

Owain_1987
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM

great hibs fan him.

Andy Murray has been to Easter Road as in his book their is a photo of him at a Hibs kids day although I do think Jamie is a bigger fan than him.

Skanko79
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM

How would you rate Tim Henman then? He mate it that far up the world rankings did he not?

Betty Boop
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Murray was offered a place at Rangers Youth Academy, but opted to play tennis IIRC.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
How would you rate Tim Henman then? He mate it that far up the world rankings did he not?

Tim Henman was a very good tennis player in his day, not quite as good as Murray in my opinion, but still very good nonetheless.

Henman didn't make it as far up as Murray has managed in the rankings as Henman's career high ranking was 4th in the world (Murray has been as high as 2nd) and Henman also did not make any Grand Slam finals, he made five semis but no finals, whereas Murray has already made two.

HibbyAndy
02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Tim Henman was a very good tennis player in his day, not quite as good as Murray in my opinion, but still very good nonetheless.

Henman didn't make it as far up as Murray has managed in the rankings as Henman's career high ranking was 4th in the world (Murray has been as high as 2nd) and Henman also did not make any Grand Slam finals, he made five semis but no finals, whereas Murray has already made two.

Spot on.

And Murray achieved everything that Henman done in career by the time he was 21.

vahibbie
02-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Spot on.

And Murray achieved everything that Henman done in career by the time he was 21.

Bet he's no been to ER tho:greengrin

The Green Goblin
02-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Very good post. :agree:

There`s some folks in this world who can just never be happy unless they find the slightest reason to put the boot into someone and feel better about themselves. In this case, it`s someone with a sky high worldwide profile who supports Hibs and says nice things about them, but then, so what eh? :bitchy:

GG

Bostonhibby
02-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Pictures dont lie.

:agree: Andy's grandfather played for Hibs and he and his brother may have been Hibs kids if I recall correctly.

bighairyfaeleith
02-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Very good post. :agree:

There`s some folks in this world who can just never be happy unless they find the slightest reason to put the boot into someone and feel better about themselves. In this case, it`s someone with a sky high worldwide profile who supports Hibs and says nice things about them, but then, so what eh? :bitchy:

GG

emmjayfox
02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Nothing wrong wi his dress sense though :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3sjGOkEFdc

HibbyAndy
02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
:agree: Andy's grandfather played for Hibs and he and his brother may have been Hibs kids if I recall correctly.

The pair of them where hibs kids :agree:

lyonhibs
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Henman never got to number 2, 5 (or maybe 4) was as high as he even got. Henman was a great exponent of a game that was sadly being overhauled by baseline players with oodles of power.

His speciality was grass - a surface that got progressively slower as his career advanced because of the seed mix and various other factors - and he also came up against the greatest grass court player ever in Pete Sampras. He reached the semi-finals of Wimbledon SIX times and won the Masters a couple of times. Some of his games on centre court at Wimbledon are classics (vs Kafelnikov for starters)

Why are the British so quick to demean success at the top level so quickly when it comes to one of our own - I'll never understand it.

And for clarity's sake Murray > Henman, but Henman was still very, very good at the peak of his career.

Antifa Hibs
02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Murray isn't a Hibs fan in his puff, so it seems.

Didn't he answer a Soccer AM question 'who is your favourite Hibs player' - 'that French guy' :confused:

Zorro
02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
He should obviously be burned at the stake as a witch. Or tarred and feathered. Or maybe, in a twist to the scene in A Clockwork Orange, have his eyes held open by ironmongery and forced to watch endless reruns of the 7-0 and 6-2 games interspersed with other great Hibs moments.

I think that would suffice. I hope very much the bad man will think twice about his actions in the future.

Shrekko
02-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Murray isn't a Hibs fan in his puff, so it seems.

Didn't he answer a Soccer AM question 'who is your favourite Hibs player' - 'that French guy' :confused:

You actually read any of this thread?

Kaiser1962
03-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Andy and Jamie had a season ticket (between them) when they shared a flat in Edinburgh.

But, like most top sportsmen, he is an absolutely single minded individual totally focused on being the best he can be at the exclusion of everything else.

Some players could learn from his attitude.

lapsedhibee
03-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Henman was still very, very good at the peak of his career.

ginger_rice
03-11-2010, 04:35 PM

The Murrays come from a very strong Hibee family as already posted his Grandad played for Hibs, and the family firm employ a fair amount of Hibees.

It's hardly surprising that he doesn't get along to Easter Road that often or actually show a great awareness, of who is in/has been in the team as he has spent a great deal of time, since about 12 years old playing in tennis tounaments attending coaching schools etc both in Britain and on the continent.

For me I'm quite happy to know that one of the top sportsmen in the World has a soft spot for my team and does mention them on the odd occassion, that publicity actually does Hibernian Football Club no harm at all :thumbsup:

The Baldmans Comb
03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Andy Murray is obviously one of the world's top tennis players, an all round good guy, who might not support Hibs in the way most of us do but he does more than enough for me in wearing the strip,mentioning Hibs in interviews as well as twittering about Hibs with one example being that 'Yogi was the man'.:greengrin

Best of luck in your career and it's great to have a high profile sportsman on our side.:thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
The Murrays come from a very strong Hibee family as already posted his Grandad played for Hibs, and the family firm employ a fair amount of Hibees.

It's hardly surprising that he doesn't get along to Easter Road that often or actually show a great awareness, of who is in/has been in the team as he has spent a great deal of time, since about 12 years old playing in tennis tounaments attending coaching schools etc both in Britain and on the continent.

For me I'm quite happy to know that one of the top sportsmen in the World has a soft spot for my team and does mention them on the odd occassion, that publicity actually does Hibernian Football Club no harm at all :thumbsup:

:top marks can you imagine the stick he'd get on here if his apparent less than blind devotion / uber fan status was for any other club. Okay he hasnt been able to memorise evey fact about us nor was he at the Carlisle friendly, but lets just accept that to whatever extent, his bias is towards us?

Banff
03-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I hate him, he doesnt have a clue what he's all about. Glad he got beat... and yes i mean it.

Bostonhibby
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I hate him, he doesnt have a clue what he's all about. Glad he got beat... and yes i mean it.

Did he beat you at tennis at school? :wink:

nonshinyfinish
03-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Andy Murray is totally gash and has never/will never win a majour tennis tournament.

:faf:

Hank Schrader
03-11-2010, 09:28 PM

You sound like a plum.

And yes I mean it