PDA

View Full Version : Riordan as captain...

KinchHibee
02-11-2010, 12:36 AM
... for good? not really made clear by Calderwood but seems he definately see's it as a possibillity

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-claims-Derek-Riordan.6608734.jp

Also meaning the end for Hogg and McBride?

hibee4life1983
02-11-2010, 02:35 AM
I think this could be a great move, deek might have his moans but he loves the club and it may well have a massive impact on his 'outside' lifestyle as he will be the figure head, leading by example. . . . . . . . . Hopefully anyway.
GGTTH

Son_Of_Anarchy
02-11-2010, 05:14 AM
... for good? not really made clear by Calderwood but seems he definately see's it as a possibillity

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Colin-Calderwood-claims-Derek-Riordan.6608734.jp

Also meaning the end for Hogg and McBride?

this my first post on hibs.net, been reading it every day since the mowbray days, even became a member once but was booted after a few posts with a faxed back to kaunas thing, which was wrong, but thats for another day,

:top marks for your post tho and i think its fitting that the first off me is the last off hogg and mchide, the longer the better (deeks as captain and them being out)

an as for riordon i think him being made captain may actually change his game for the better as he will feel responsible for the whole team in parts so will have no hesitation in getig them told, and think he is an ideal character for geting them fired up.

now all we need is some football players who know how to play through balls and crosses so the captain can get some service in and around the box instead of having to wait on a free kick to get a chance at goal !

thanks for having me :hnet:

7Hero
02-11-2010, 07:26 AM
nothing against riordan as god we need him right now, however, if he is favourite for captain shows we are lacking some leaders on the park somewhat.

Jack
02-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Wouldn’t be my choice. From my limited knowledge of Deeks and the world in general as others have said leadership doesn’t appear to be among his many attributes.

De Graaf was allegedly a captain for some years before he came to us. I say allegedly as, although its been mentioned here often, I’ve never actually seen it written anywhere else, apart from the odd game. He’d be on my list though.

Miller should be near the top of everyone's list with the experience he has and the age he’s at. He obviously doesn't feel he’s up for it – reference when Yogi sat him and McBride down together and asked them to work out themselves who should be captain.

I don’t think we’ve had a decent captain for some years.

stubru59
02-11-2010, 08:57 AM
The problem we have is that none of the guys playing regularly are "captain material".

On that basis DR is as good a pick as any.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Wouldn't be my first pick i don't think he's a leader. I think a good strong captain, someone who leads by example is something we are lacking.

Hibbyradge
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
"He's been here a while and the responsibility of being the captain and leader of the group will help him, I think."

I think the captaincy is too important to be used, in hope, to help individual players.

The captain should be able to lead the team by example and by giving direction and advice when necessary, on and off the field.

I'd never previously associated those attributes with Derek Riordan.

Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

SMAXXA
02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
The problem we have is that none of the guys playing regularly are "captain material".

On that basis DR is as good a pick as any.

I think thats the problem, for me we have an ideal captain in Ian Murray but as you said the captain for me needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I think thats the problem, for me we have an ideal captain in Ian Murray but as you said the captain for me needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

I just dont see Murray as captain material. Yes he gives 100%, but imho he's not a leader. He cant take a game by the scruff of its neck. He will never get on the ball and drive forward with any cohesion. He has very little ability with the ball. And is slower than a week in saughton.

He will clatter into someone and put them out the park, this was captain material in the 60s and 70s, but again imho not these days. IMHO we dont have any captains at the club at this moment in time.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
IMO the problem with Hibs in recent years have appointed captains as a means of overcoming strict wage structures or as a means of keeping players at the club/extracting a higher fee.
Captains should be chosen on the attributes required IMO Murray was not captain material 1st time round he lead by example but was too quiet. If we ae to persist on the main in bringing through youth then we need someone who has a wise head on his shoulders a calming influence when chaos ensues around him has the respect of the team and to drive them forward.
I think we need a proven leader to take us through this tough period and wonder whether such a player is high on CCs priorities

Purehibee_MYB
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
The way I see it is that Deeks is the biggest Hibs fan at the club, and therefore he is more hurt by a loss than most in the team... I think making him Captain could be a good thing but we'll see, I think it will add to the part of the game that according to Harry Potter he is lacking... In that he will look to defend more... If it doesn't work out then Miller would be a good captain, but I think Deeks is worth a try.

SMAXXA
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I just dont see Murray as captain material. Yes he gives 100%, but imho he's not a leader. He cant take a game by the scruff of its neck. He will never get on the ball and drive forward with any cohesion. He has very little ability with the ball. And is slower than a week in saughton.

He will clatter into someone and put them out the park, this was captain material in the 60s and 70s, but again imho not these days. IMHO we dont have any captains at the club at this moment in time.

You make some good points, funny tho got me thinking when Murray used to get the ball down a drive with it, I recon the pace he had has gone from his game and agree he isnt the quickest.

If you were to pick a captain from any other team in the SPL who would be your choice, Rangers and Celtic excluded?

Bad Martini
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Captain?? Make the laddie player-Manager :greengrin :thumbsup:

MON THE DEEK :thumbsup:

Joking aside, why not? The previous job holders didn't exactly lead on the park, didn't inspire or help drive us out of the mire we were in did they...

I agree with giving the captaincy to Deek. Now son, lets see some goals and lets be starting with a few rakers against yon Yams on Sunday.:agree:

ENDOF

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
You make some good points, funny tho got me thinking when Murray used to get the ball down a drive with it, I recon the pace he had has gone from his game and agree he isnt the quickest.

If you were to pick a captain from any other team in the SPL who would be your choice, Rangers and Celtic excluded?

To be fair, i don't really take a lot of notice of the opposition. I might like some of their players play, and judge them on that days performance. But i dont see enough of them, bar the games they play against us. So i don't know who i'd pick?

SMAXXA
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
To be fair, i don't really take a lot of notice of the opposition. I might like some of their players play, and judge them on that days performance. But i dont see enough of them, bar the games they play against us. So i don't know who i'd pick?

To be fair none are that notable that springs to mind other than Hartley at Aberdeen, I think if we could get someone in that mould we could do far worse. Hes still a greetin faced wee nyaff but think he is very effective at what he does and leads by example.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2010, 01:45 PM
To be fair none are that notable that springs to mind other than Hartley at Aberdeen, I think if we could get someone in that mould we could do far worse. Hes still a greetin faced wee nyaff but think he is very effective at what he does and leads by example.

I couldn't take to him in a Hibs top. There are just some players who should never play for us. He's certainly one of them imho.:jamboak:

SMAXXA
02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I couldn't take to him in a Hibs top. There are just some players who should never play for us. He's certainly one of them imho.:jamboak:

I couldnt agree more I dont mean take him all im meaning is a similar type player who scores goals, digs in and seems to live his life pretty well off the pitch. Agree tho couldnt take to him back at Hibs, unless he socred the winner against the jambos and gave their fans a git right up ye sign! :greengrin

Sloppy
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
jodi morris

Bookkeeper
02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Think the problem we have is that we have no players of any stature (not talking about ability here). Players like Sauzee, Hughes, Laursen, Hunter, Rae etc from the recent past are few and far between.

On that basis Deeks is probably the best shout out of what we have. I agree, I don't think he is a born leader, but he certainly has the passion and cares about the club.

Andy74
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Who really cares who shakes hands before the game?

On the pitch anyone that wants to be a leader can be.

Bookkeeper
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Who really cares who shakes hands before the game?

On the pitch anyone that wants to be a leader can be.

Aye! tend to agree with you Andy. Manager should have the team picked, tactics set up and well organised. After that every player should be fit and up for the fray. How important is a captain anyway? :dunno:

essexhibee
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
You should have eleven captains on the pitch. Saying that a good leader does need to be inspirational. Take Gerard at liverpool. He has always came up at the pivotal moments and done something classy to lead his team (ya beauty!goal v panathinikos, comeback header and penalty in istanbul champs final comeback) etc. And in this hibs team the player with the most class and the man most likely to do something magical is derek. However I do feel he is a quite negative player at times from seeing his reactions...seems to whinge quite a bit and have a greeting face on him during games when something goes wrong? It may just be that he cares and it annoys him when things go wrong but negative attitude will have a negative effect on others. For example if we are losing on sunday we need a calm collective head to not lose it and get us back in the game by staying on track, and I do worry about whether derek has the ability to do that.
Either way though guy is a hibs legend. Lives breathes hibs and his hate for the jambos is heroic. Hope he sticks one right ****ing up them sunday and celebrates right in front of them bassas.