PDA

View Full Version : I said it last season

Deano Mourinho
01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi, I mentioned it last season and i am wondering if anyone has changed as i was shot down in flames. I would take (anything above 10th) for Hibs to blood in the youngsters i.e Booth, Taggart, Byrne, Galbraith, Stephens, Moyes etc etc to have them in a position to challange (a bit like what Williamson done with Thompson, Brown, Whittaker etc) What do you think?

ancienthibby
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi, I mentioned it last season and i am wondering if anyone has changed as i was shot down in flames. I would take (anything above 10th) for Hibs to blood in the youngsters i.e Booth, Taggart, Byrne, Galbraith, Stephens, Moyes etc etc to have them in a position to challange (a bit like what Williamson done with Thompson, Brown, Whittaker etc) What do you think?

BIG problem with that Deano, is none of these players on loan (so excepting Galbraith and Stephens at home base) is setting the heather on fire at the loan clubs.:grr::grr::grr:

Sir David Gray
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
No.

I don't think it's ever acceptable for Hibs to finish below 4th place, never mind outside the top six, regardless of whether or not we're blooding youngsters.

Deano Mourinho
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
BIG problem with that Deano, is none of these players on loan (so excepting Galbraith and Stephens at home base) is setting the heather on fire at the loan clubs.:grr::grr::grr:

Moyes is doing really well Taggart is still at Hibs i think and byrne is scoring every week?

ancienthibby
01-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Moyes is doing really well Taggart is still at Hibs i think and byrne is scoring every week?

Last I knew Taggart was an 89th min sub for Ayr and Byrne has had a barren spell, before Saturday.

If these guys want to win a place in the Hibs first team, then they should be outstanding every week for their loan clubs. If not, what's the difference??:grr:

cwilliamson85
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Anything below 5th is totally unacceptable IMO.

That goes for any season not just this one.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Byrne has scored a few for East Fife. They're second bottom of League 2, the third division.

Ewan Moyes plays for Brechin and Scott Taggart plays for Ayr.

Both are also in Division 2. Playing well at that level doesn't mean you'd last 10 minutes in the SPL.

Wouldn't Hibs be better getting players from a higher division.

From teams like Falkirk, for example?

Sir David Gray
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Last I knew Taggart was an 89th min sub for Ayr and Byrne has had a barren spell, before Saturday.

If these guys want to win a place in the Hibs first team, then they should be outstanding every week for their loan clubs. If not, what's the difference??:grr:

Scott Taggart has played five games for Ayr United this season, two of which have been starts and he hasn't started a game for almost two months.

Kurtis Byrne has scored six goals for East Fife in eleven matches, but since three of those goals came in one match, he has only scored in four of those eleven games. He scored on Saturday but that was his first goal in four games.

Ewan Moyes and Callum Booth seem to be playing most weeks for Brechin. I don't know how well they are doing though but since they are currently top of the second division they must be doing something right.

ScottB
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
With confidence so low and a fair section of the support content to boo any missed time pass or slightest mistake I think blooding youngsters is a bad plan, least their confidence be irreversibly shaken.

Wait till things pick up (hopefully) then by all means we should start giving the youth games, probably once we are in a 'we're stuck in the bottom 6 but no chance of being relelgated' type situation.

ancienthibby
01-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Scott Taggart has played five games for Ayr United this season, two of which have been starts and he hasn't started a game for almost two months.

Kurtis Byrne has scored six goals for East Fife in eleven matches, but since three of those goals came in one match, he has only scored in four of those eleven games. He scored on Saturday but that was his first goal in four games.

Ewan Moyes and Callum Booth seem to be playing most weeks for Brechin. I don't know how well they are doing though but since they are currently top of the second division they must be doing something right.

But, if any of these players are to have a chance in this current Hibs team, as is being advocated, should they not be shining stars in the Second Division (dearie me!) at this stage???

ScottB
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
But, if any of these players are to have a chance in this current Hibs team, as is being advocated, should they not be shining stars in the Second Division (dearie me!) at this stage???

Well I don't know... Can't recall how Deeks and O'Connor did out on loan (they went down to Division 2 didn't they?).

You can't expect them to be winning games singlehandedly I suppose!

.Sean.
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Rubbish.

Granted Scott Taggart hasn't had very much game time but he's stil really young. Kurtis Byrne's been scoring, and both Ewan Moyes and Boothy are playing every week for a Brechin side who are sitting top of the second division.

HibeeMcGinn1
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Not looking out for them then?
Byrne has scored 7 in 13 for East Fife, both Moyes and Booth have started most games and getting a couple goals each, with great reviews. Back up comments before you post.

ancienthibby
01-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Well I don't know... Can't recall how Deeks and O'Connor did out on loan (they went down to Division 2 didn't they?).

You can't expect them to be winning games singlehandedly I suppose!

There's no doubt that these two came back as much better prepared for SPL football.

That may well happen for the likes of Moyes and others. But there has been so much fuss over Byrne that all I'm saying is that his performances to date leave me a wee bit subdued!!:greengrin

WestEndHibee
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM

The difference is that these guys have their whole career ahead of them so have a huge opportunity to develop into even better players

Cropley10
01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
With confidence so low and a fair section of the support content to boo any missed time pass or slightest mistake I think blooding youngsters is a bad plan, least their confidence be irreversibly shaken.

Wait till things pick up (hopefully) then by all means we should start giving the youth games, probably once we are in a 'we're stuck in the bottom 6 but no chance of being relelgated' type situation.

I would disagree with that completely. Our youngsters our future, the conveyor belt has stopped. I think as a support, certainly the guys I know, we would be much more willing to give the younger guys more time, than you would a 16 club journeyman or say another ex-Falkirk player, or someone from the French 2nd Division.

I'm not sure what is meant by not setting the heather on fire, I don't watch these teams, but they're not there to do that IMHO, they're there to get experience.

I agree with the OP - how can that team do the Double yet only 1 of them be good enough for the SPL?

essexhibee
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
From what i heard from a pal who played under Calderwood at Northampton, he will defo be looking towards the youth.

Big on youth according to my mate.

Barney McGrew
01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree with the OP - how can that team do the Double yet only 1 of them be good enough for the SPL?

There were probably only three of that team that anyone who watched them regularly would have said were likely to make the step up. Spoony has already done it, Sean Welsh probably would have if he hadn't had such a terrible run of injuries and Calum Booth is out on loan but I'd fully expect him to come back and be involved next year in some capacity.

Bostonhibby
01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Byrne has scored a few for East Fife. They're second bottom of League 2, the third division.

Both are also in Division 2. Playing well at that level doesn't mean you'd last 10 minutes in the SPL.

:bitchy: We have got them all already

Hibbyradge
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Zackly.

Houchy
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM

3rd bottom actually D!!!:grr:

My 2nd Scottish team so don't go dissin' the black and golds:greengrin or i'll be having words with you on Sunday at the Hibs Club :greengrin,

sesoim
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
No.

I don't think it's ever acceptable for Hibs to finish below 4th place, never mind outside the top six, regardless of whether or not we're blooding youngsters.

:agree: I agree. I would maybe accept 5th or 6th if we have a good season otherwise, ie good runs in the Cups or Europe, but otherwise we should be top four or close to it with the resources we have.

Besides, we have about £4.5M available each season for wages, so what would we spend that on if we were just playing £600 a week youngsters? £2M a year would be enough to keep 4 or 5 Sauzee/Latapy standard players, so why not sign a few of them, maybe another 7 or 8 decent players with potential, and make the rest of the squad up with youngsters - a good balance of youth and experience.

Albion Hibs
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Rubbish.

Granted Scott Taggart hasn't had very much game time but he's stil really young. Kurtis Byrne's been scoring, and both Ewan Moyes and Boothy are playing every week for a Brechin side who are sitting top of the second division.

We complain about our current group of players, yet everyone is so keen to rip these players back to ER because they are playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football - am I hearing things?!

If our current first team played our youth team I would be surprised if the youngsters got anything short of a total hammering! And that it saying something.

No way, just because these guys are playing well several leagues below means nothing. If we went down the proposed bring them back I cant see anyway that we would stay in this league - does someone playing well in the third tier mean anything in terms of how they would play in the SPL?

Dont get me wrong, I would love it if every youth player turned into the best thing since...big Frank. But it is never going to happen. Leave these boys were they are let them get a season of experience away from ER and then lets see.

Teams like Man U dont have fans screaming for nothing other than youth and they have had some of the best players in the world come through there academy. They simply want the best players that there team can manage to get.

Bring them in now and settle for 10th - no chance IMO we would be lucky to finish 10th in the first division.

snooky
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think this may be what's known as a 'whoosh'

marleyhib
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
bad idea, reeks a bit of desperation to be honest

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't hurt to play a couple IMO.

RIP
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
No.

Anything below 5th is totally unacceptable IMO.

That goes for any season not just this one.

:faf: Nice try lads

In the last 20 years Hibs have averaged no better than 6th. What team were you watching then or when we were in the First Division?

It's time we stopped ramming the team full of journeymen pros and focused on youth development. 83 players is 5 years reeks of desperation IMO

The arabs under Levein suffered 2 bottom six performances before rising up the table. Thompson understood what building a team was all about so he kept faith with Levein

Deano Mourinho
02-11-2010, 06:48 AM
I think i am just trying to highlight the last time Hibs really had a decent side out it was full of the youngsters and i would really like to see that again as a pose to signing guys like trysks?

CentreLine
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Rubbish.

Personally I don't see Byrne as any sort of answer to our needs. Where people get the idea that he is somehow the new Gary O'Connor beats me. I am not convinced he will ever hold down a regular place at ER he just is not that good IMHO. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to be proved wrong of course but I just don;t see it happening.

Hibbyradge
02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Wouldn't hurt to play a couple IMO.

I think it would hurt a lot.

Cropley10
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
No way, just because these guys are playing well several leagues below means nothing. If we went down the proposed bring them back I cant see anyway that we would stay in this league - does someone playing well in the third tier mean anything in terms of how they would play in the SPL?[/FONT]

Dont get me wrong, I would love it if every youth player turned into the best thing since...big Frank. But it is never going to happen. Leave these boys were they are let them get a season of experience away from ER and then lets see.

Teams like Man U dont have fans screaming for nothing other than youth and they have had some of the best players in the world come through there academy. They simply want the best players that there team can manage to get.

Bring them in now and settle for 10th - no chance IMO we would be lucky to finish 10th in the first division.

Serious question: how many times have you seen these players play for the U19s? Some of them are very well thought of, not the finished article, but I think the frustration is we'd like to see for ourselves rather than watch Trakys.

"Teams like Man Utd don't have fans screaming for nothing other than youth". So because one of the biggest Clubs in the World don't just want youth we shouldn't ask for more of our youngsters? That's your point? Out of interest who was or is the last of these "best players to come through their academy" (clue it's a myth - they don't produce their own anymore).

So far, we've had from you: keep Yogi, don't buy any players in January, this squad are good enough to compete, and now the youngsters aren't good enough leave them where they are. Honestly. Please give up posting on this Board.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I think we as supporters, however much it may hurt, have to accept that this season is something of a write off. Reading between the lines of his interviews it appears Colin Calderwood has somewhat accepted this already. We will probably see a couple of players brought in in january to steady the ship, string a few results together and get away from the current dangerous position we are in, we may even sneak top 6.

However with the players we currently have and the form they are in we are simply not good enough to be looking at 3rd or 4th or a decent Scottish Cup run. We are not suffering a 'blip', we have performed consistenlty poorly since about December and results have reflected this since about February. The rest of the league may also be poor but i see little to have me believe that we can realistically push on and get in about the European spots.

On saying that i am not overly negative about the future, i like a lot of what i'm hearing from Calderwood, i think there was a noticeable if not great improvement on Saturday. We have a great chance this summer to really clear out some deadwood and hopefully use some the money freed up to bring in some quality over quantity, i think a core of about 16-18 players with a further 5 or 6 made up of youngsters is easily enough for Hibs. Some of the youngsters we have out on loan are talented lads, i watched the under 19s fairly often and there was potential there. Unfortunately due to the farcical decision to scrap the reserve league these lads have stagnated, playing 2nd division football is ok for them but realistically the only way to really judge them is by seeing them in 1st team action, why not throw a couple into the side once we have got ourselves away from the drop zone? Whilst the SPL is frantic it still allows far more time and space on the ball than a lower league game, maybe that kind of platform is what these guys need rather than being judged playing on a crap park, in a crap stadium with little or no real football being played. Just a thought.

Cropley10
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I think we as supporters, however much it may hurt, have to accept that this season is something of a write off. Reading between the lines of his interviews it appears Colin Calderwood has somewhat accepted this already. We will probably see a couple of players brought in in january to steady the ship, string a few results together and get away from the current dangerous position we are in, we may even sneak top 6.

However with the players we currently have and the form they are in we are simply not good enough to be looking at 3rd or 4th or a decent Scottish Cup run. We are not suffering a 'blip', we have performed consistenlty poorly since about December and results have reflected this since about February. The rest of the league may also be poor but i see little to have me believe that we can realistically push on and get in about the European spots.

On saying that i am not overly negative about the future, i like a lot of what i'm hearing from Calderwood, i think there was a noticeable if not great improvement on Saturday. We have a great chance this summer to really clear out some deadwood and hopefully use some the money freed up to bring in some quality over quantity, i think a core of about 16-18 players with a further 5 or 6 made up of youngsters is easily enough for Hibs. Some of the youngsters we have out on loan are talented lads, i watched the under 19s fairly often and there was potential there. Unfortunately due to the farcical decision to scrap the reserve league these lads have stagnated, playing 2nd division football is ok for them but realistically the only way to really judge them is by seeing them in 1st team action, why not throw a couple into the side once we have got ourselves away from the drop zone? Whilst the SPL is frantic it still allows far more time and space on the ball than a lower league game, maybe that kind of platform is what these guys need rather than being judged playing on a crap park, in a crap stadium with little or no real football being played. Just a thought.

I completely agree with everything you say and particularly the part about not judging talented youngsters on loan. Some people they should be "ripping up trees" before they're allowed back.

Great post.

ScottB
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Surely the reason for sending them out on loan is to get them experience, build up their fitness and strength levels and get them ready for the more pressurised reality of first team football, not for them to go tearing through the lower leagues with Cruyff turns.

Cropley10
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Surely the reason for sending them out on loan is to get them experience, build up their fitness and strength levels and get them ready for the more pressurised reality of first team football, not for them to go tearing through the lower leagues with Cruyff turns.

Not if you 'believe' some people on here:wink:

Wotherspiniesta
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Serious question: how many times have you seen these players play for the U19s? Some of them are very well thought of, not the finished article, but I think the frustration is we'd like to see for ourselves rather than watch Trakys.

"Teams like Man Utd don't have fans screaming for nothing other than youth". So because one of the biggest Clubs in the World don't just want youth we shouldn't ask for more of our youngsters? That's your point? Out of interest who was or is the last of these "best players to come through their academy" (clue it's a myth - they don't produce their own anymore).

So far, we've had from you: keep Yogi, don't buy any players in January, this squad are good enough to compete, and now the youngsters aren't good enough leave them where they are. Honestly. Please give up posting on this Board.

:top marks

Albion Hibs
02-11-2010, 02:34 PM

How many did I see play under 19's - irrelevant, the SPL is not an under 19's league. I am basing my opinion on what I saw when a few of the played pre-season games.

I did not say some of them did not have a chance, I said why not leave them where they are to learn a bit more - for the avoidance of doubt that has always been my view.

Do you think it would help there development to drop them into a team in our position?

Do you think there is a significant difference between under 19's and playing in the first team in the SPL? Do you think that if they could have they would have been loaned to teams in the 1st Division?

"So because one of the biggest Clubs in the World don't just want youth we shouldn't ask for more of our youngsters? That's your point?" No yet again you have completely misunderstood. Man Utd fans dont sit there and say (using them as an example) first teams not doing well, rather than use these proven players, lets just hoy in a few youngsters - I dont think so. And that is exactly what this thread is saying, and assuming that not only will they keep us up, but actually be a better side - GET REAL.

RE Yogi - I supported him as our manager for the duration that he was in charge - I personally dont believe there is anything wrong with that, and I will do the same with Calderwood.

Players In Jan - I believe you were part of the club that called for an "overhall" in January. IMO the standard of player we will get will be less, as for putting a bunch of new players together with only a few months of the season left, I dont think that would be in our best interest, do you?

Youngsters Not Good Enough - I believe I have said that some of them are not, will not be good enough, there are others that have a chance, but we had a strategy for there development when we put them out on loan, but because a few fans are bored they want to bring them back - are you being serious?

RE posting on this board, as I have said before you making up a version of my post then getting yourself all excited about it is really warring a bit thin with me. I also think you have no right nor position to suggest such a thing, if it bothers you so much do read them - better still dont waste both of or time by replying.

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 02:45 PM
:faf: Nice try lads

In the last 20 years Hibs have averaged no better than 6th. What team were you watching then or when we were in the First Division?

It's time we stopped ramming the team full of journeymen pros and focused on youth development. 83 players is 5 years reeks of desperation IMO

The arabs under Levein suffered 2 bottom six performances before rising up the table. Thompson understood what building a team was all about so he kept faith with Levein

In the past couple of years, the infrastructure at the club has been improved so much that I believe we are now at the stage where we should be looking to pull ahead of the likes of Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen.

I don't believe it's acceptable for the players or management at Hibs to be hailing a top six place in the SPL, which is up there as one of the worst leagues in Europe. I believe we should be in the top four of this league every single year, with possibly the odd 5th place finish being acceptable, should we also do well in the cups that season.

Finishing in the bottom six is a complete failure for me.

--------
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
How many did I see play under 19's - irrelevant, the SPL is not an under 19's league. I am basing my opinion on what I saw when a few of the played pre-season games.

I did not say some of them did not have a chance, I said why not leave them where they are to learn a bit more - for the avoidance of doubt that has always been my view.

Do you think it would help there development to drop them into a team in our position?

Do you think there is a significant difference between under 19's and playing in the first team in the SPL? Do you think that if they could have they would have been loaned to teams in the 1st Division?

"So because one of the biggest Clubs in the World don't just want youth we shouldn't ask for more of our youngsters? That's your point?" No yet again you have completely misunderstood. Man Utd fans dont sit there and say (using them as an example) first teams not doing well, rather than use these proven players, lets just hoy in a few youngsters - I dont think so. And that is exactly what this thread is saying, and assuming that not only will they keep us up, but actually be a better side - GET REAL.

RE Yogi - I supported him as our manager for the duration that he was in charge - I personally dont believe there is anything wrong with that, and I will do the same with Calderwood.

Players In Jan - I believe you were part of the club that called for an "overhall" in January. IMO the standard of player we will get will be less, as for putting a bunch of new players together with only a few months of the season left, I dont think that would be in our best interest, do you?

Youngsters Not Good Enough - I believe I have said that some of them are not, will not be good enough, there are others that have a chance, but we had a strategy for there development when we put them out on loan, but because a few fans are bored they want to bring them back - are you being serious?

RE posting on this board, as I have said before you making up a version of my post then getting yourself all excited about it is really warring a bit thin with me. I also think you have no right nor position to suggest such a thing, if it bothers you so much do read them - better still dont waste both of or time by replying.

You're no a reincarnation of that pestilential pain in the backside YoemanJaniceRand are you?

Cos you sound awfy like him/her/it..... :cool2:

Cropley10
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Keep digging son.

In the meantime tell me who Man Utd's academy has produced since say Beckham and Scholes... take your time.

And by the way I'm not making anything up about your posts. I'm simply exposing the flaws in your arguments. As I am perfectly entitled to do I believe.

I asked you once who you wanted as manager - you didn't have an answer. Who should we sign in January? Dont need anyone. Changed to, " the standard of player we will get will be less" now - less than who, Trakys?

Every single time there's a discussion on here about moving the Hibs forward or trying something different your response is "leave it".... :hmmm:

frazeHFC
02-11-2010, 06:26 PM
At the start i would have said no, play our experienced players but now even if we get through this season, the group of players we have are simply not good enough, now i would sacrifice coming 10th to see some youngsters moulded into the team. I am not meaning they play and we get pumped every week, i just mean we win a lot of our home games and get to see more youngsters.

Andy74
02-11-2010, 07:24 PM
What's the fascination of youngsters in the team fir the sake of it?

I'd rather a winning team made up of any ages.

What would be the point of settling for a poor team of kids just so if they do turn decent they can leave.

Bostonhibby
02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think this may be what's known as a 'whoosh'

Not sure, actually a feeble atempt at humour alluding to the fact that we had already picked up quite a few ex Falkirk players - think Hibbyradge got it!

Albion Hibs
02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Keep digging son.

In the meantime tell me who Man Utd's academy has produced since say Beckham and Scholes... take your time.

And by the way I'm not making anything up about your posts. I'm simply exposing the flaws in your arguments. As I am perfectly entitled to do I believe.

I asked you once who you wanted as manager - you didn't have an answer. Who should we sign in January? Dont need anyone. Changed to, "the standard of player we will get will be less" now - less than who, Trakys?

Every single time there's a discussion on here about moving the Hibs forward or trying something different your response is "leave it".... :hmmm:

Who have Man U produced - dont know how about......Darren Fletcher...Captain of our national team. Do you actually watch football as a sport, embarrasing comment from you.

Regarding making up - yes you are happy to agree to disagree.

Re manager, again a reflection of your blatant lying in a desperate bid to prove....what are you trying to prove again?! I did on every occasion answer - I said I did not want to change, and that I would support the manager as long as he was there.

Re January I think you will find that again I said I felt we had a decent team, missing key players / players that could be key. My comment re the window related to a specific reference to getting lots of players in. So again a reflection of your desire to chuck out a lie to prove.......what is it you are trying to prove again?! In any event that is not a change of position, I think it is quite reasonable to have the view 'I dont think we need anyone, and in any event you would not get the same standard of player in a january window'. You really need to think about what you are writing before you write it.

What do you mean moving forward? Do you think it is moving forward to fill our team full of players who are not good enough / ready for this league? How can you possibly think that is moving forward? Do you think it is moving forward chopping and changing players, managers, tactics, formations, managers, players, tactics each and every single time things dont go our way?

IMO there is no way any of the above can be the basis of the club moving forward. So I will put it to you that the only thing you want is a conveyor belt of change for no reason other than it is different, that is never in the best interest of a club.

Despite the fact I have put in a few question marks above, please dont reply, in summary my view is my view and to be blunt you are really boring me.

RIP
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
In the past couple of years, the infrastructure at the club has been improved so much that I believe we are now at the stage where we should be looking to pull ahead of the likes of Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen.

The infrastructure has improved at the expense of the team. Great training centre, shiny stand, puir fitba, 83 players and cannae make a decent squad oot the lot

So when we finished bottom six did you go off and play gowf?:greengrin

Sir David Gray
02-11-2010, 10:50 PM
The infrastructure has improved at the expense of the team. Great training centre, shiny stand, puir fitba, 83 players and cannae make a decent squad oot the lot

So when we finished bottom six did you go off and play gowf?:greengrin

No, I didn't. Although I believe finishing in the bottom six is completely unacceptable, I am someone who would watch Hibs play in the third division, if that was the situation that we found ourselves in.

I am Hibs supporter and I will always be a Hibs supporter, regardless of how good/bad we are on the pitch but it doesn't mean that I have to be happy at what I'm watching every week.

The 83 players over the last five years figure, by the way, is not too different to the rest of the SPL.

ScottB
03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Keep digging son.

I asked you once who you wanted as manager - you didn't have an answer. Who should we sign in January? Dont need anyone. Changed to, " the standard of player we will get will be less" now - less than who, Trakys?

To be fair, Man Utd field quite a few players of their own on a regular basis...

Fletcher, O'Shea, Macheda, Brown, Evans, Gibson etc. Plus others who arrived at Man Utd very early on in their careers like the Da Silva's, Nani, Ji Sung etc.

sparkiehibs
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Garry O'Connor @ Peterhead (2000) - 1 goal in 4 Appearances

Ian Murray @ Alloa Athletic (2000) - 0 goals in 2 Appearances

Derek Riordan @ Cowdenbeath (2003) - 3 goals in 2 Appearances

Kevin Nicol @ Stromsgodset (2005) - 1 goal in 7 Appearances

Sam Morrow @ Livingston (2006) - 3 goals in 11 Appearances

Sam Morrow @ Partick Thistle (2007) - 1 goal in 8 Appearances

Kurtis Byrne @ Stirling Albion (2010) - 0 goals in 3 Appearances

Kurtis Byrne @ East Fife (2010) - 6 goals in 11 Appearances

Ewan Moyes @ Brechin City (2010) - 2 goals in 15 Appearances

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2010, 01:31 PM

I don't believe it's acceptable for the players or management at Hibs to be hailing a top six place in the SPL, which is up there as one of the worst leagues in Europe. I believe we should be in the top four of this league every single year, with possibly the odd 5th place finish being acceptable, should we also do well in the cups that season.

I agree, but that was not good enough for many last season.

Sir David Gray
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I agree, but that was not good enough for many last season.

I think most people were pleased with our final league position last season but the complete meltdown that we suffered in the last four months of last season came as a concern to a lot of us. It is a meltdown that has continued into this season and shows no sign of coming to a halt any time soon.

Given where we were in the league last Christmas, I don't think we should have needed to rely on a victory in the last game of the season against a Dundee Utd reserve side, who had one eye on the Scottish Cup final the week after, to finally clinch 4th place and a European spot.

It was how we finished last season, that had people complaining, not where we finished.

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I think most people were pleased with our final league position last season but the complete meltdown that we suffered in the last four months of last season came as a concern to a lot of us. It is a meltdown that has continued into this season and shows no sign of coming to a halt any time soon.

Given where we were in the league last Christmas, I don't think we should have needed to rely on a victory in the last game of the season against a Dundee Utd reserve side, who had one eye on the Scottish Cup final the week after, to finally clinch 4th place and a European spot.

It was how we finished last season, that had people complaining, not where we finished.

I agree, although even when we were winning it was not good enough. We were lucky or the football was not good enough. Yet some of those same folk who were critical of what was happening then, want us to get behind the new man. A wee bit of double standards if you ask me, makes me sick.

Baldy Foghorn
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I agree, although even when we were winning it was not good enough. We were lucky or the football was not good enough. Yet some of those same folk who were critical of what was happening then, want us to get behind the new man. A wee bit of double standards if you ask me, makes me sick.

Shame it makes you sick, have you been to doctor or tried anti-sickness tablets?

Diclonius
03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Well yes and no. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Shame it makes you sick, have you been to doctor or tried anti-sickness tablets?

Tried all that, then i come back on here and it starts all over again.

Baldy Foghorn
03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Tried all that, then i come back on here and it starts all over again.

sounds like an allergy to hibs.net

Rasta_Hibs
03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I would like to think that in the window the guys who are thought to be Hibs 1st team potential will be brought back in January and these guys would then challange for a place at the exspence of the players CC wants to get rid. Makes sense to me.

matty_f
04-11-2010, 12:17 AM

I can't agree that this season is a write-off. We're only just coming up to the end of the first round of games, there are a helluva lot of points to be played for between now and the end of the season, plus a cup competition to have a tilt at.

If anyone at Hibs is writing this season off at this stage, then they deserve their jotters, IMHO.