PDA

View Full Version : Deeks as Captain-do you support it?

hibsbollah
31-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Personally I think its inspired. Although not the normal stereotypical captain, it could be exactly what he needs, and if nothing else shows the new manager values him at a time when contractual talks will be coming up.

Westie1875
31-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Love it!

The Silver Fox
31-10-2010, 03:35 PM
A good player but a leader who is an example for others? I don't think so.

The Tubs
31-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I've wanted it for a while. I like a captain who's vocal and knows how to play fitba'. It may also help counter the sulky side of his nature.

SRHibs
31-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Ridiculous idea. His head goes down as soon as something goes wrong, do you really think that's going to be good for the rest of the team?

Hibercelona
31-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Riordan as captain? :bitchy:

Ian Murray is the clear choice IMO.

just_joe
31-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Purehibee

Ridiculous idea. His head goes down as soon as something goes wrong, do you really think that's going to be good for the rest of the team?

Couldn't have put it better myself. A captain in my opinion should be someone who leads from the back. Someone commanding - a no nonsence , take no ***** kind of player. Only thing is we don't really have that at the moment. Riordan can hardky motivate himself never mind the rest of the team.

Judas Iscariot
31-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Riordan as captain? :bitchy:

Ian Murray is the clear choice IMO.

Pity he hasn't played all season..

basehibby
31-10-2010, 04:04 PM
A good player but a leader who is an example for others? I don't think so.

I think it could bring the best out in him - a bit responsibility and the notion of leading by example might lead to him improving his workrate. He certainly bleeds green and white as well and will not be shy of giving teammates the verbals - also is a more or less certain pick.

SRHibs
31-10-2010, 04:08 PM
I think his verbals are more in the form of abuse as opposed to motivational verbals.:wink:
He might be a Hibs player, but a role model he certainly is not, and even considering him for Captain is ludicrous IMO.

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-10-2010, 04:09 PM
A great idea!

:agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
31-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I think it could bring the best out in him - a bit responsibility and the notion of leading by example might lead to him improving his workrate. He certainly bleeds green and white as well and will not be shy of giving teammates the verbals - also is a more or less certain pick.

It could work either way, I voted unsure.

One thing for definite - if he is made captain it should be after he has signed a new contract. He could command a lot more respect if committed to the club. We need to get this sorted out.

OtterHibee
31-10-2010, 04:23 PM
We already have a captain :coffee:

I'm happy enough with Derek standing in where absolutely necessary, and he was probably the most logical choice from yesterday's line up (given Miller's unfortunate tendency to shirk responsibility) but no, not on a permanent basis.

(((Fergus)))
31-10-2010, 07:20 PM
As with the penalty, there weren't many other candidates out there.

Judas Iscariot
31-10-2010, 07:28 PM

I'm happy enough with Derek standing in where absolutely necessary, and he was probably the most logical choice from yesterday's line up (given Miller's unfortunate tendency to shirk responsibility) but no, not on a permanent basis.

Aye but he's gash and will probably be dropped for a while again..

Wanted Deek to be captain at the start of the season so well happy with CC's choice..

Billy Whizz
31-10-2010, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=#10;2622327]Aye but he's gash and will probably be dropped for a while again.. QUOTE

Who do you mean Hogg or McBride?

Riordans Boots
31-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Am loving the thought :agree:

silverhibee
31-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I think Deek will keep the captains armband for the Derby.

matty_f
31-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I hope so. :agree:

From the alba replay it looked like deek was taking the captaincy seriously and was trying to get others going.

Riordans Boots
31-10-2010, 09:06 PM

And he would be deserving of wearing it :agree:

The only player playing for the Hibs jersey :agree:

Franck is God
31-10-2010, 09:18 PM
he certainly showed the captains spirit when he stepped up to take the penalty....oh he didn't do that our super striker chickened out.

And he really showed his captains quality when he was sent clear by DeGraaf....oh he didn't did he, he didn't take the ball into the box he generously chipped it into the goalies hands, well he didn't want Pernis to have to get his knees dirty.

I don't care who the captain is, any idiot can walk out the dressing room first & shake the hand of the ref at the start of the game. Really what's the big deal.

Riordans Boots
31-10-2010, 09:24 PM
he certainly showed the captains spirit when he stepped up to take the penalty....oh he didn't do that our super striker chickened out.

And he really showed his captains quality when he was sent clear by DeGraaf....oh he didn't did he, he didn't take the ball into the box he generously chipped it into the goalies hands, well he didn't want Pernis to have to get his knees dirty.

I don't care who the captain is, any idiot can walk out the dressing room first & shake the hand of the ref at the start of the game. Really what's the big deal.

Aww get a grip man :rolleyes:

Franck is God
31-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Aww get a grip man :rolleyes:

Why, if you actually take the captain's role at a football club seriously (which I don't) then I'm sorry but Derek Riordan has very few of the qualities I would consider necessary to have.

He's a good player but not one you would count on to lead by example on or off the pitch.

silverhibee
31-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Why, if you actually take the captain's role at a football club seriously (which I don't) then I'm sorry but Derek Riordan has very few of the qualities I would consider necessary to have.

He's a good player but not one you would count on to lead by example on or off the pitch.

Well the manager seems to think so hence why Riordan was the captain yesterday.

Riordans Boots
31-10-2010, 10:21 PM

Ok then :rolleyes:

(((Fergus)))
31-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Well the manager seems to think so hence why Riordan was the captain yesterday.

Who else was there? Bamba or Miller?

monktonharp
31-10-2010, 10:41 PM
It could work either way, I voted unsure.

One thing for definite - if he is made captain it should be after he has signed a new contract. He could command a lot more respect if committed to the club. We need to get this sorted out.you saying he does not command any respect? on the verge of being a modern day top goal scorer, is he just another also ran?:confused:

monktonharp
31-10-2010, 10:47 PM

I'm happy enough with Derek standing in where absolutely necessary, and he was probably the most logical choice from yesterday's line up (given Miller's unfortunate tendency to shirk responsibility) but no, not on a permanent basis.hoggy ,as you put it,is no more a captain as the cheif iceberg spotter of the Titanic! he's been like a laddie wi'oot his Da,since big Jonesey left.

monktonharp
31-10-2010, 10:52 PM

He's a good player but not one you would count on to lead by example on or off the pitch. get a grip on yersel man

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
31-10-2010, 10:55 PM
As Calderwood says, it mite get that little bit extra out of him. Don't imagine he is scared to have his say and he is our best player so why no?

NaeTechnoHibby
31-10-2010, 10:56 PM
hoggy ,as you put it,is no more a captain as the cheif iceberg spotter of the Titanic! he's been like a laddie wi'oot his Da,since big Jonesey left.

:yawn:

Not the only one :agree:

hibsbollah
02-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I love what Calderwood is saying about this in today's papers. Reading between the lines I think Riordan is the new captain, permanently. He wants to make us 'A wee bit nastier':devil: as well apparently:top marks

Bad Martini
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I like Calderwoods thinking and on any other day, we would have gotten something from Saturday. I hate saying this pish but this time, we really WERE unlucky. We deserved at least a point. Had Rankin not made a tit of that pen, the game would have changed. That said, he was also responsible for a save of the line thus the ying/yang equals out.

Deek for captain...good move.

The previous job holders done nae better did they?

Too many pelters being fired at el Deek. Too many. The laddie scores for fun. Sets up others to score for fun. Supports Hibs. Hates hearts. What ***** mair do ye want? :rolleyes: :greengrin :devil:

MON THE HIBS...:thumbsup:

HFC 0-7
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Calderwood will be looking at the appointment of him being captain as a test, just to see if he can make it work.

Riordan moans too much to be captain. A captain should give out encouragement but also know the right time to go mental at the players. ultimately, the captain needs to be well respected, is Riordan well respected by his fellow players? Dont know.

I think its a case of time will tell. When you look at good captains over the years like sauzee, riordan, even with all his talent, doesnt seem to be the right person.

MrHibs1982
02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I actually started a thread about this a couple months back (if anybody is interested and knows how sure they can find the link).

Anyway i started it because despite there being many reasons for him not to be captain i think the ones for him being captain are good.Contract, his commitment, being one of the first names on the teamsheet. Hogg & Murray aint 1st picks.

I am normally the "get the CH" to be captain but as someone said before, in Italy the likes of Del Piero and Totti are captains of the clubs they love and have played for for most (all) their life.

Phil MaGlass
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Have to admit it could be inspiring, (could be) mibbe its just what he needs, a bit more responsibility, he has just had a kid, has to start growing up, means he cant go round with his head down, he has to be inspirational. This could be a stroke of genius from the manager.It could even make him a better player. Lets see if he rises to the challenge.

Hibercelona
02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
We all love Riordan. But he will never ever be a captain in his puff. :bitchy:

I can't believe the number of people that have voted that they want him to be captain.

Tell me what leadership qualities this laddy has what so ever? :bitchy:

He is "not" captain material.