PDA

View Full Version : Brown should have....

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
30-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Taken one for the team and wiped Goodwillie out when he was outside the box.

stubru59
30-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Taken one for the team and wiped Goodwillie out when he was outside the box.

Should have, but he didn't. Just as Rankin should have but didn't score from a penalty.

matty_f
30-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Would that have left us with Smith in goals for the derby?

IMHO, would rather have Brown in goals than Smith next weekend, so glad he never got a red card.

500miles
30-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Technically he shouldn't have because that would be cheating. If a player is in the opposition box, but unlikely to get anything away, should he dive if the oppertunity arises?

marinello59
30-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Would have been cheating. Sore goal to lose, glad he didn't do the dirty though.

Bonnyrigg H.F.C
30-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Technically he shouldn't have because that would be cheating. If a player is in the opposition box, but unlikely to get anything away, should he dive if the oppertunity arises?

Don't care what it is if you get points. If deek goes down with no contact next week and we get a penalty I take it you will shake your head in disgust and hope we miss the resulting penalty? Take one for the team, go home with your point and move on.

500miles
31-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Don't care what it is if you get points. If deek goes down with no contact next week and we get a penalty I take it you will shake your head in disgust and hope we miss the resulting penalty? Take one for the team, go home with your point and move on.

I'd drop him from the next game.

There was an instance today where he was being held illegally, and he wasn't able to break away from his man because of it. If he had went down then - because the opposition was gaining an unfair advantage, fine, go down, and make the refs decision easy. However, out-and-out diving? Benched.

Football's a game. A tough physical game mixed with grace and skill when it's played to its best, but a game nevertheless. It should be played fairly.

essexhibee
31-10-2010, 07:33 AM

There was an instance today where he was being held illegally, and he wasn't able to break away from his man because of it. If he had went down then - because the opposition was gaining an unfair advantage, fine, go down, and make the refs decision easy. However, out-and-out diving? Benched.

Football's a game. A tough physical game mixed with grace and skill when it's played to its best, but a game nevertheless. It should be played fairly.
Nae danger! :rolleyes:

I agree brown should have, as he was out of the box, cleared out Goodwillie instead of getting out of the way.

lyonhibs
31-10-2010, 10:26 AM

It should be, but more often than not isn't. If it had got us a point - no guarantee seeing as there was 5 mins left - then booting Goodwillie skywards would have been perfectly acceptable.

Likewise, if someone goes down over a breath of air next week and gets us a penalty, I would't be ecstatic upon seeing the replays etc, but its Hearts FFS. If managers adopted your high-horse approach to diving then half the Premiership and SPL would be benched 1 week out of 2.

500miles
31-10-2010, 10:33 AM
It should be, but more often than not isn't. If it had got us a point - no guarantee seeing as there was 5 mins left - then booting Goodwillie skywards would have been perfectly acceptable.

Likewise, if someone goes down over a breath of air next week and gets us a penalty, I would't be ecstatic upon seeing the replays etc, but its Hearts FFS. If managers adopted your high-horse approach to diving then half the Premiership and SPL would be benched 1 week out of 2.

Or there would be a lot less of it.

Football is a game. There is scope for honesty.

(((Fergus)))
31-10-2010, 11:34 AM
What I don't understand is why there is not a 10-page thread on Brown ambling out of his box and sailing aimlessly past Goodwillie. Just imagine if he was a 6 foot 6, shirt tails hanging out, brown more by nature than name...there would have been carnage on here and rightly so.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I think that if the players are watching the goal back during training this week, I am not sure that there is a case to look at what Mark Brown did or didn't do. Better to look at the build up, or better to get the outfield players to practice penalty taking.

Stan the Man
31-10-2010, 10:17 PM
There is fair play and there is being too nice for your own good.

Classic example is the Dave Beaumont / Wayne Foster Scottish cup game nightmare.

I cant believe there was a Hibby in that crowd who wasn't screaming for him to be chopped down. Years of counselling still have been successfull in erasing the image of that goal and their celebrations.

I also think it is slightly different to diving as the player isn't trying to hide the foul and knows there will be a card and suspension. A dive is much more sneaky move.

oldbutdim
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Or there would be a lot less of it.

Football is a game. There is scope for honesty.

What a refreshing post.

You're not really 21 are you...........

You must be a lot younger.
And more innocent.
And er......... more refreshed.

There is fair play and there is being too nice for your own good.

Classic example is the Dave Beaumont / Wayne Foster Scottish cup game nightmare.

I cant believe there was a Hibby in that crowd who wasn't screaming for him to be chopped down. Years of counselling still have been successfull in erasing the image of that goal and their celebrations.

I also think it is slightly different to diving as the player isn't trying to hide the foul and knows there will be a card and suspension. A dive is much more sneaky move.

Totally agree. Chopping a player down and taking the inevitable red card is, by comparison, totally fair compared to the feigning injury/diving/"oooh there's contact - whoopsy down I go" ....... nonsense.
I don't understand why referees are pilloried for failing to spot the cheats, yet the cheats carry on ad infinitum

HibeeMcGinn1
01-11-2010, 06:38 AM
People are allowed opinions on here it is a messageboard after all. Way to many people on here think they are 100% correct and don't take anyones opinion. I think Brown should have brought him down and not sheet himself like he did. Take one for the team and get a red card, ok they may have scored from the resulting free kick but it would have been worth the risk IMO. Also, talking about 'cheating' in the game I have completely mixed feelings on it. If we were playing Celtic and Maloney took a tumble when nobody was anywhere near him and they went onto win the match from the penalty then of course I would be livid but if Riordan won an easy penalty in the 93rd minute on Sunday and we won the match I for one would not be saying oh it's a disgrace and I know that all on here would be over the moon aswell. There is absolutly no danger that any Hibs fan would be ashamed over it or want him benched. I would be over the clucking moon. But I must not be 21 because I have an opinion that differs.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2010, 11:41 AM
What I don't understand is why there is not a 10-page thread on Brown ambling out of his box and sailing aimlessly past Goodwillie. Just imagine if he was a 6 foot 6, shirt tails hanging out, brown more by nature than name...there would have been carnage on here and rightly so.

If and when he starts making mistakes on a regular basis I'm sure there will be a few threads. Assuming he blacks himself up as well obviously :rolleyes: