PDA

View Full Version : Transfer budget

down the slope
28-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I found this on the bounce,

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/2010/10/28/2187722/colin-calderwood-has-no-plans-to-overhaul-hibernian-squad

Seems he is giving everyone a chance if you believe what's written.

Banff
28-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Not a good sign! Wer'e doomed!

PaulSmith
28-10-2010, 08:56 PM

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/2010/10/28/2187722/colin-calderwood-has-no-plans-to-overhaul-hibernian-squad

Would you expect him to say anything other than we're giving everyone a chance though.

Also mentions a 'perfect budget' for players in the same interview

bingo70
28-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm quite happy for Calderwood to work with what he's got, buying players isn't always the answers, it might be on championship manager but in the real world our manager needs to let a team develop and get organized without making 6 or 7 changes every transfer window, suppose he spends the next few weeks getting the defence used to playing with each other and the midfield working as a unit then in January he signs players the whole process has got to start all over again.

I think it's no coincidence Rangers have improved as a team despite having a bunch of pretty average players on the back of them being skint and not overhauling the squad regularly.

heretoday
28-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Well he's got to say that hasn't he? What's the alternative?

"I've got till January to replace these morons and even then I might not be able to do it."

Och, things aren't so bad, are they?

Dirkster23
28-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Would you expect him to say anything other than we're giving everyone a chance though.

Spot on. He's got to work with these players until the summer, no point saying he can't wait to punt half of them.

Jack
28-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Like everything else I've read - tactful, measured, says nothing to upset anyone and designed to get the best out of what he has at the moment.
Long may it continue.

ekhibee
29-10-2010, 12:39 AM

That's not the impression I got from this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9137647.stm

CmoantheHibs
29-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Any new manager that goes to a new club and doesnt really know the players is obviously going to have a look at them and see who he thinks is good enough and who isnt.To me he seems to be saying that he hasnt had enough time to judge yet which seems reasonable as he is just in the door.It will be an interesting team selection against Utd.

Dr Jimmy
29-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I really hope he starts to look at the younger guys and has a plan to start bringing them through gradually. I am getting a but fed up of the random journeymen.

ballengeich
29-10-2010, 08:35 AM
It sounds sensible. He'll use his early time to work out which players he can get good results from and which don't respond to his ideas and methods. I think the team's been underperforming recently - that's why Yogi was sacked - and that a number of the squad can be part of a decent SPL team.

aberhibsfc
29-10-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm quite happy for Calderwood to work with what he's got, buying players isn't always the answers, it might be on championship manager but in the real world our manager needs to let a team develop and get organized without making 6 or 7 changes every transfer window, suppose he spends the next few weeks getting the defence used to playing with each other and the midfield working as a unit then in January he signs players the whole process has got to start all over again.

I think it's no coincidence Rangers have improved as a team despite having a bunch of pretty average players on the back of them being skint and not overhauling the squad regularly.

Try 16, the sooner we get some of the 'better' players secure the better.

As you rightly say, we do not have the budget to go spending and we don't want to have another massive transition period. Calderwood and Petrie have some work to do, i'd expect to see them agreeing who to keep and what to pay and get it sorted. I understand he needs some time but time on the contractual front is short. I think we need to be constructively getting contracts tied up by before end of Dec or sooner if possible. After December it becomes a bit of a lottery. The closer we get to the Jan window the more players may think, I might just risk it and see what interest I can generate. These players are not just playing for their Hibs futures, they may be showcasing themselves for a future in football. Given the financial climate none of them can afford to go hiding. So I hope that very soon we should see better performances as a result.

Personally I'd like to see Riordan, Miller and Zemmama signed up again, I'm resigned to losing Bamba either this or next window.

That's my rant over, back to work.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Although these comments can be trite and cliche ridden, I actually think that this is a very good approach. If the issue was the previous manager and not the players, then the results should start to pick up because we have decent enough players imo.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2010, 08:59 AM
CC and Petrie are in a very good position with negotiations with those the manager wants to keep. None of them except Riordan can expect a wage rise. The others will surely have to play for less, or find another club where they wont get anywhere near what they were getting at easter road?

matty_f
29-10-2010, 09:06 AM
CC and Petrie are in a very good position with negotiations with those the manager wants to keep. None of them except Riordan can expect a wage rise. The others will surely have to play for less, or find another club where they wont get anywhere near what they were getting at easter road?

have to agree with that, none of the players, deek apart, have put in the sort of consistently good performances that would have bigger clubs chasing them.

There are many players who will be praying for another contact at hibs.

Big Frank
29-10-2010, 09:09 AM

:agree:

Hibee Daz
29-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Spot on. He's got to work with these players until the summer, no point saying he can't wait to punt half of them.

Exactly chaps, CC has to keep morale up and get the best out of these huddies, so we can drag ourselves back up the table. By giving the out of contract players the hope of a new deal, it should maximise their effort!

darwenhibby
29-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Riordan, Weatherspoon, Hanlon, Brown are the only ones I would definitely keep to build a back bone of the team around.

Although many wont agree on here but I would possibly keep Hogg & a fit Ian Murray. The rest are either not good enough or do not play for the jersey or too injury prone.

Cropley10
29-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Riordan, Weatherspoon, Hanlon, Brown are the only ones I would definitely keep to build a back bone of the team around.

Although many wont agree on here but I would possibly keep Hogg & a fit Ian Murray. The rest are either not good enough or do not play for the jersey or too injury prone.

Would you not keep Zouma?:confused:

I reckon the big one for CC is Bamba - that performance on Saturday won't have Clubs queuing up to buy him and he might just fancy working with the player, improving him so he really is worth some proper dosh.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Hogg?????????? And what is a fit Ian Murray? Does he not fall into the category of injury prone?

Duane i know you must have been drinking early this morning, but have you booked the 10am train for the derby?

Franck is God
29-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Of all the players out of contract I would think only Bamba, Riordan, Zemmama & maybe Miller could attract a better deal than Hibs are willing to pay for their services.

The rest will be released if they cannot agree deals and I would expect most to have to take a step down from Hibs to get going again.

There are another 30ish games left this season for them to win or lose a new contract, completely up to them but lacklustre performances like we've seen so far this season are not likley to do much for their chances with CC and I'm very interested to see what changes are made to the team tomorrow from last week

Franck is God
29-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Something else he mentioned which I found interesting as I happen to think this too is that player contracts will be getting shorter not longer.

The only players that will have longer deals in the future are those that have resale value i.e the Wotherspoons & Hanlons in our current squad. There's no point in anything else, all clubs have limited funds and there are more players available than ever before.