PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Grounds on twitter.

HibeeMcGinn1
26-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I follow @JG_Chilling on twitter and earlier he posted "Tough day. Hope the hard work starts to pay off" and later on in the day he posted "Would love these massage chairs to work right now !".

Wonder if they are getting worked hard? :greengrin

Twiglet
26-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I follow @JG_Chilling on twitter and earlier he posted "Tough day. Hope the hard work starts to pay off" and later on in the day he posted "Would love these massage chairs to work right now !".

Hope they are. Shock to the system for some maybe.

Cabbage East
26-10-2010, 08:18 PM

****in hope so.

At The Edge
26-10-2010, 08:40 PM
just had a look at his twitter history and he posted this....

'Time to step up, big things ahead' on the 22nd Oct, wether thats in connection with his parent club or Hibs who knows, but at least he realises that whats been happening isn't good enough if he is talking about Hibs.

Good to see that CC is working them hard :agree:

CmoantheHibs
27-10-2010, 08:07 AM
CC has a reputation for being tough on player fitness.Certainly hope its true as it can only benefit results.

scoopyboy
27-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Not hard enough that he has time to post though!!!

HenryMonk
27-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Not hard enough that he has time to post though!!!

gi them a break, under health n saftey they are allowed a lunch break :wink:

but yes good there feeling the pain, for far to long long training has been to easy at ER, since JC infact!!

GlesgaeHibby
27-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Hope so, about time they were. Some of the players were finished by 12 under Hughes.

They should be in 8-5 daily IMO for the massive wages they pick up. CV in the mornings, ball skills/strength/going through videos in afternoons.

Would love to see the team as fit as they were under Collins.

matty_f
27-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Hope so, about time they were. Some of the players were finished by 12 under Hughes.

They should be in 8-5 daily IMO for the massive wages they pick up. CV in the mornings, ball skills/strength/going through videos in afternoons.

Would love to see the team as fit as they were under Collins.

I think it's a myth that we were especially for under collins, I certainly don't remember us looking a lot fitter than any other teams. a lot of the fitness work collins focussed on was to prevent injury.
I think the team we have now are fit, but they look like they're not because we lack genuine pace.

essexhibee
27-10-2010, 09:13 AM
My mate reckons hes a great manager from his time at Northampton and puts big emphasis on youth. :wink:

FranckSuzy
27-10-2010, 09:16 AM

I saw that too so 'tweeted' him "new manager working you too hard?" Since got a reply saying "no its been good" :thumbsup:

500miles
27-10-2010, 09:18 AM
What do people on this board actually expect a footballers training schedule for the week to look like?

matty_f
27-10-2010, 09:19 AM
What do people on this board actually expect a footballers training schedule for the week to look like?

On a chalkboard our a whiteboard at least, couple of spelling mistakes, and bits for each day on it. :greengrin

lyonhibs
27-10-2010, 09:33 AM

I don't know exactly, as I'm no sports scientist, but something that a) keeps their 90 minute fitness up, b) addresses the known issues in the team - at the moment, defensive cohesion and the capcity to pass accurately, quicly and generally towards the oppositions goal and c) doesn't result in the lazy buggers being home by 2 pm.

As for "days off", I guess 1 of these (or a half day) will be necessary for to rest muscles at some point during the week, but the reports of players skipping home by <insert ludicrously early hour here> under <insert recent Hibs manager here> really get on my wick, for the wages a lot of them earn as well.

And finally, anyone bunking off/walking out of training should be fined, and should apologise to team-mates and fans alike.

How hard can it be??? :greengrin

Duffys13
27-10-2010, 10:10 AM

It seems that East Mains is knuckling down to some hard work this week. It really annoyed me at the end under Hughes, all the interviews he did when I felt he needed to get his head down and the team focused. I can't say I have heard too much from CC so this week so far. Hope he is running them ragged.

calumhibee1
27-10-2010, 10:14 AM

I wouldn't know specifically what they should be doing - although IMO they should be in 10-3 every weekday and having lunch together. Probably fitness 10-12, ball work 1.30-3 or something along those lines with lunch in the middle. Fridays should be analysing the opponents in the morning then working on the system you're going to play on the Saturday in the afternoon. Day off on the day after a game.

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2010, 10:23 AM

:agree:

Don't you know, football supporters are undisputed experts on every aspect of other people's jobs. Whether its coaching, coach drivers, or first aiders at the ground, these guys know their stuff.

The best way to avoid making this mistake in future is to apply the following test:

1) Is the person shoddily dressed? eg Wranglers and Adidas Bamba.
2) Do you detect any signs of bad skin?
3) Does their trousers fit?
4) Is their forehead creased and their eyebrows lowered?
5) Is every second word they say an expletive?
6) Do they have a brother or friend in the pub who knows about "these things"?
7) When they are challenged do they prove their expertise by calling you a muppet/Yam/numpty?
8) Do they visit the pie stand more than once in a game?
9) On questioning, can they name three other towns other than the one they lve in?
10) Do they have a bad hair cut.

Sorry, I'm still getting over some pillocks shouting at the first aiders at the ground to get a move on, whilst they stood themselves and did nothing.

scoopyboy
27-10-2010, 11:07 AM

I would like it to be made up so that the players can't spend every afternoon at Ladbrokes in Tranent High Street if they so wish.

Howzat for starters.

.Sean.
27-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Diddums, the players are getting worked hard? Try a real job, working 8 - 5, five days a week while earning a *****pence in comparison to what they 'earn.' Hopefully Calderwood won't accept slacking from anyone. We must be one of the unfitest teams in the league and it's an issue that needs adressed ASAP.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't know specifically what they should be doing - although IMO they should be in 10-3 every weekday and having lunch together. Probably fitness 10-12, ball work 1.30-3 or something along those lines with lunch in the middle. Fridays should be analysing the opponents in the morning then working on the system you're going to play on the Saturday in the afternoon. Day off on the day after a game.

I think you're expecting too much - I bet Barca, Man U or Chelsea don't even do that!

Fitness work and ball work could be done at the same time - you don't need to spin it out over a whole day to get your money's worth!

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I hope they are not too knackered for Saturday.

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Diddums, the players are getting worked hard? Try a real job, working 8 - 5, five days a week while earning a *****pence in comparison to what they 'earn.' Hopefully Calderwood won't accept slacking from anyone. We must be one of the unfitest teams in the league and it's an issue that needs adressed ASAP.

Why don't you pack in the 8-5 days and go and be a footballer?

Dunbar Hibee
27-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Can't argue with that.

Pretty Boy
27-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I think you're expecting too much - I bet Barca, Man U or Chelsea don't even do that!

Fitness work and ball work could be done at the same time - you don't need to spin it out over a whole day to get your money's worth!

Not sure about Man Utd or Chelsea but i know Barcelona only train just under 2 hours a day. They focus on short, sharp stuff the majority of the time and try to use the ball for at least 90% of any session.

The big difference is that they all eat breakfast together, train for the 2 hours, eat lunch together, spend a bit of time getting massages, injuries looked at etc then spend an hour or so going over videos of opponents, set piece routines, discussing mistakes from previous games and how to correct them and so on. The average day starts at about 9 and finishes about 2ish unless they want to stay and do a bit gym work, extra work on a certain area of their game. Pep Guardiola is very strict about professionalism, something lacking under the previous regime. There is also strictly no alcohol 72 hours before a game and players hydration levels are regularly tested.

I'm certain the Barca players don't all rush out of training and head straight for el bookies then onto el volley for a few pints and a game of pool.

Gatecrasher
27-10-2010, 11:39 AM
the guy only said he had a hard day, we all have those, dont we :confused:

he wasnt even complaining about it either as he hopes the hard work will pay off!

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Would like to think that they won't be too tired to put in a bloody good shift where it matters most - George Street.

Antifa Hibs
27-10-2010, 02:33 PM
CC has a reputation for being tough on player fitness.Certainly hope its true as it can only benefit results.

Bollocks! Hope he doesn't have a quality 6-pack otherwise we're really donald ducked! Last time the team had to train this hard they had a revolt :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
27-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Would like to think that they won't be too tired to put in a bloody good shift where it matters most - George Street.

:faf: :faf:

Haymaker
27-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Not sure about Man Utd or Chelsea but i know Barcelona only train just under 2 hours a day. They focus on short, sharp stuff the majority of the time and try to use the ball for at least 90% of any session.

The big difference is that they all eat breakfast together, train for the 2 hours, eat lunch together, spend a bit of time getting massages, injuries looked at etc then spend an hour or so going over videos of opponents, set piece routines, discussing mistakes from previous games and how to correct them and so on. The average day starts at about 9 and finishes about 2ish unless they want to stay and do a bit gym work, extra work on a certain area of their game. Pep Guardiola is very strict about professionalism, something lacking under the previous regime. There is also strictly no alcohol 72 hours before a game and players hydration levels are regularly tested.

I'm certain the Barca players don't all rush out of training and head straight for el bookies then onto el volley for a few pints and a game of pool.

Pretty much any top club will do this, most afternoons are spent working on analysis.

offshorehibby
27-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Hibs boss wary of burning out new charges (http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-boss-wary-of-burning.6601023.jp)

Hibs put through a double session yesterday but boss doesn't want to burn players out before match day.

Kaiser_Sauzee
27-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog

Lunch

Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting, Passing, tackling, heading, marking, set pieces, shooting.

Game of 5's.

Go home.

Repeat.

Green_one
27-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Its pretty clear, from their respective physical condition and interview material, that players in Man United (for example) spend a lot more time in the gym etc on their personal fitness than our guys do. They are working on precise scientific programmes, individually tailored.

I remember the manager saying that Zemama came back in excellent physical condition, having been away from Hibs, a reflection of the effort foreign players put in.

I read that Nakamura said that after a Champions league game against Man United, he went and spent time in the gym. This must have been at about 10 pm. Excessive perhaps but shows his commitment.

British football fell behind some European cliubs in fitness, having prevously been fitter (the old Liverpool for example). The big clubs have all caught up but in Scotland I suspect generally we are behind in both the technology and the personal application.

lyonhibs
27-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Pretty much any top club will do this, most afternoons are spent working on analysis.

If the afternoons were spent on analysis, watching videos of last weeks games and working to improve what they saw, then I wouldn't mind at all. Could be quite beneficial for the players to see the game from a different perspective.

When I say I think the players need to be training more hours of the day, that needn't necessarily mean huffing and puffing on treadmills or doing circuits etc.

What galls me is the fact that, at the moment, - AFAIK - a good deal of players afternoons at Hibs (and quite probably elsewhere in the SPL) are spent working on their golf swing or FIFA 11 technique.

snooky
27-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Its pretty clear, from their respective physical condition and interview material, that players in Man United (for example) spend a lot more time in the gym etc on their personal fitness than our guys do. They are working on precise scientific programmes, individually tailored.

I remember the manager saying that Zemama came back in excellent physical condition, having been away from Hibs, a reflection of the effort foreign players put in.

I read that Nakamura said that after a Champions league game against Man United, he went and spent time in the gym. This must have been at about 10 pm. Excessive perhaps but shows his commitment.

British football fell behind some European cliubs in fitness, having prevously been fitter (the old Liverpool for example). The big clubs have all caught up but in Scotland I suspect generally we are behind in both the technology and the personal application.

Maybe so, but we can still drink them under the table, any day. :thumbsup:

cocopops1875
27-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I think it's a myth that we were especially for under collins, I certainly don't remember us looking a lot fitter than any other teams. a lot of the fitness work collins focussed on was to prevent injury.
I think the team we have now are fit, but they look like they're not because we lack genuine pace.

your having a laugh murphy and benji were really lean under jc :agree:

Tricla
27-10-2010, 09:05 PM

From what I can remember Benji was lean when he came back from his travels.

I think the improved fitness under JC was a bit of a myth which was given some substance by the continual reference to JC's six pack and the employment of that French (?) fitness guru felly.

IMO there wasn't any real difference.

Bostonhibby
27-10-2010, 09:06 PM

Depends on the manager and the club I suppose, I am no expert, all I have is a perception about Hibs, the team I care about so here goes, recently its probably been a case of huff and puff a bit for 20 minutes or so on a Saturday, get thrashed, then: -

Depending on whether its a home game or how far away the away game is after the thrashing, get hame, brush teeth and get changed and off up toon for the "seasoned" pros.

If you manage to avoid arrest / to resist lamping assorted Yam Trolls, get hame again before 6am. Sleep through Sunday.

Then read Sunday Papers in bed on Monday afternoon, this will possibly help you remember Saturdays defeat - hide under covers for 5 hours.

Go to East Mains - maybe have a beer on the way, or go to the bookies - depending on which "star" you are. Having a fag is optional.

Arrive at EM, Have a look roond as you have heard how impressive it is, pop into the training session. Lots of much younger guys are already running about enthusiastically and the "gaffer" said 3 or 4 days ago how proud he was of his boys in the latest defeat, so chuck your washing in the laundry and go and meet Stokesy and Stacksy etc in some boozer in George St to warm up for tomorrows game :wink:

truehibernian
27-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Watch the highlights of the opening game of the season at Tynecastle when we won 1-0 and see how fit, lean, fast and competitive the whole side was. Murphy and Fletcher look fit as butchers dugs and Benji comes on and looks the fittest he had ever been. Even wee Zemmama was closing down and tackling, and Jones and Hogg were mobile and strong :bitchy::agree:.

I used to watch the first team train a lot under JC and they were by far and away the fittest Hibs squad in years. The "six pack" myth, was actually said in jest to the youth team after a training session, and not to first team players. Under JC the training had an edge and a pace, so much so, Sproule, Boozy and others were ending up in scraps with each other because of the intensity.

Sadly, Scottish and British footballers "cultcha" meant that the players (or some) couldn't handle the simple fact that being professional included fitness, discipline and hard honest work on and off the training pitch, and not having card schools, daily trips to the bookies and lurching off to have 18 holes, and then a few bevvies before games.

My opinion is that the current side have a lack of endurance fitness and stamina. They fail to close down at times because they are unfit, not because they lack talent or skill. It also helps if you can retain simple possession and let the ball actually do most of the work. That is something recently we have been criminally poor at.

A cross between JC's fitness regime and outlook on the game, and Mixu's man management skills and passion, and we would have cloned an ideal Hibernian manager

_hucks_
27-10-2010, 09:17 PM
From what I can remember Benji was lean when he came back from his travels.

I think the improved fitness under JC was a bit of a myth which was given some substance by the continual reference to JC's six pack and the employment of that French (?) fitness guru felly.

IMO there wasn't any real difference.

Early in the season, we were scoring a lot of goals dead late in the game, when the other team was tiring and we were still playing at a good level.

Crab apple
27-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Watch the highlights of the opening game of the season at Tynecastle when we won 1-0 and see how fit, lean, fast and competitive the whole side was. Murphy and Fletcher look fit as butchers dugs and Benji comes on and looks the fittest he had ever been. Even wee Zemmama was closing down and tackling, and Jones and Hogg were mobile and strong :bitchy::agree:.

I used to watch the first team train a lot under JC and they were by far and away the fittest Hibs squad in years. The "six pack" myth, was actually said in jest to the youth team after a training session, and not to first team players. Under JC the training had an edge and a pace, so much so, Sproule, Boozy and others were ending up in scraps with each other because of the intensity.

Sadly, Scottish and British footballers "cultcha" meant that the players (or some) couldn't handle the simple fact that being professional included fitness, discipline and hard honest work on and off the training pitch, and not having card schools, daily trips to the bookies and lurching off to have 18 holes, and then a few bevvies before games.

My opinion is that the current side have a lack of endurance fitness and stamina. They fail to close down at times because they are unfit, not because they lack talent or skill. It also helps if you can retain simple possession and let the ball actually do most of the work. That is something recently we have been criminally poor at.

A cross between JC's fitness regime and outlook on the game, and Mixu's man management skills and passion, and we would have cloned an ideal Hibernian manager

Agree with just about everything you say TH, in what is a good post. On the last point though my identikit for a Hibs manager would need to include the ability to spot good new players on a consistent basis. Neither JC or Mixu were able to do this imho.

Bostonhibby
27-10-2010, 09:30 PM

:agree: but I don't feel the majority of the players in the SPL are under any pressure to put their overall fitness and lifelstyle first unless they really have a chance of moving on by doing so, theres been a real slap dash or couldn't care less feel to some of our performances recently.

Theres no doubt in my mind that we are a soft touch physically and we really dont compete for 90 minutes, fit teams with a game plan must love playing us and unless Calderwood has put them through the mill I am not looking forward to playing the big, physical, direct Yams.

truehibernian
27-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I would agree to an extent about JC and Mixu's incoming player strategy, however I think in Mixu's case, he came in and inherited a dressing room that was shot to pieces. We were (if i recall correctly :confused:) around 9th or 10th when he took charge, and he managed to galvanise them and lead them to the top 6. His next season was a mixture of hard fought wins, scrappy losses, and giving in to the OF too easy.

Under Mixu though, the common denominator for the form dip was the loss of Merouane Zemmama. In his first season, albeit he (Mixu) came in at the January window, Zemmama was on top form and then picked up an injury just when we went into the split and last few games. Next season the wee man was off on compassionate grounds. Look at this season, and look at how good we were first 10-12 games, and how poor we were last 15 games last season. Again, no Zemmama, no spark, no creativity or pace. Yes he has the odd poor game when he just isn't in it, but he changes the whole pace of the Hibs side when he is there. And gets the fans excited.

I am always mystified that we don't have cover for the wee man, someone who has similar traits that can come in, or play alongside. His loss to the side is felt more than any other player IMHO and the results kind of (I hope) back that up.

Ed De Gramo
27-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Is Grounds not allowed to tweet?

Some of his tweets are quite funny!

'Mon the Twitter :thumbsup:

calumb
27-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Agree totally with that and i think CC must too if he has them in for double training sessions and is concerned about burning them out. Was always worried when yogi used to go on about getting the balls out on the first day of pre season, this approach might work on the continent where players look after themselves all year round but here half of them come back over weight.

essexhibee
27-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Can someone enlighten me on this jc six pack thing what is that? Cheers.

truehibernian
27-10-2010, 10:19 PM
The media myth is that he said it to the first team, the implication being that he was arrogant and showing off saying "work hard and you could end up with a body like mine".

Having spoken to youth team players at the time, one who is still at Hibs, it was said in complete jest to the youth team after a training session at Edinburgh Academy Sports Ground, where they would train on occasion.

truehibernian
27-10-2010, 10:21 PM
And it was Mixu's opening line apparently, to the first team, when he took charge (showing off his "one keg")..........again said in jest. Source, big Mixu himself when he was having a few beers at The Bailie after we had been pumped by Dundee Utd at home.

essexhibee
27-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Cheers for that TH.
I liked JC style. Shame the players wernt professional enough.

Cropley10
27-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I would agree to an extent about JC and Mixu's incoming player strategy, however I think in Mixu's case, he came in and inherited a dressing room that was shot to pieces. We were (if i recall correctly :confused:) around 9th or 10th when he took charge, and he managed to galvanise them and lead them to the top 6. His next season was a mixture of hard fought wins, scrappy losses, and giving in to the OF too easy.

Under Mixu though, the common denominator for the form dip was the loss of Merouane Zemmama. In his first season, albeit he (Mixu) came in at the January window, Zemmama was on top form and then picked up an injury just when we went into the split and last few games. Next season the wee man was off on compassionate grounds. Look at this season, and look at how good we were first 10-12 games, and how poor we were last 15 games last season. Again, no Zemmama, no spark, no creativity or pace. Yes he has the odd poor game when he just isn't in it, but he changes the whole pace of the Hibs side when he is there. And gets the fans excited.

I am always mystified that we don't have cover for the wee man, someone who has similar traits that can come in, or play alongside. His loss to the side is felt more than any other player IMHO and the results kind of (I hope) back that up.

I'm going to save this post so I can link to it when I reply to some idiot trying to tell me we need to get rid of Zouma 'cos he's always injured' or 'he's had his chance' or some utter guff. Thanks TH:thumbsup:

Northern Hibby
28-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Tony Mowbary & John Collins love child :thumbsup:

Playing with flair & Fit, Dammed ugly child fantastic manager :thumbsup:

Wilson
28-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm going to save this post so I can link to it when I reply to some idiot trying to tell me we need to get rid of Zouma 'cos he's always injured' or 'he's had his chance' or some utter guff. Thanks TH:thumbsup:

I'm glad you realise that you'll need to quote his post. Where might Zouma be while you are quoting it? Obviously not answering the critics with his own performances on the pitch or he'd be saving you the bother :yawn:

Cropley10
28-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm glad you realise that you'll need to quote his post. Where might Zouma be while you are quoting it? Obviously not answering the critics with his own performances on the pitch or he'd be saving you the bother :yawn:

He ruptured his cruciate ligament playing for Hibernian FFS:grr:

Zouma IS quality. We don't have anyone like him nor will we be able to afford anyone like him if he leaves. Can you understand that?? :bye:

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2010, 11:55 AM
He ruptured his cruciate ligament playing for Hibernian FFS:grr:

Zouma IS quality. We don't have anyone like him nor will we be able to afford anyone like him if he leaves. Can you understand that?? :bye:

54 games since 2006/2007 season. I'd say we cant afford to keep him.

Cropley10
28-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Except of course he was on loan for a year on compassionate grounds, his Club there would have paid his wages.

I'd say we can't afford to get rid of him. Remembering he's out now as a result of playing for the Club and rupturing his cruciate.

Springbank
28-10-2010, 12:19 PM

bet we won more than we lost with him in the team tho

Cropley10
28-10-2010, 12:20 PM
bet we won more than we lost with him in the team tho

Eggs act lee

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Except of course he was on loan for a year on compassionate grounds, his Club there would have paid his wages.

I'd say we can't afford to get rid of him. Remembering he's out now as a result of playing for the Club and rupturing his cruciate.

I understand that he was on loan for a season, i understand that when he's fit, when he's on form he's the best player to watch imho at easter road. Thise days are not enough for me, and imho he wont sign another contract and it would be a risk signing him on for any long term anyway.

So imho as good as he can be, i don't think he's worth the risk. If he would sign a pay as you play deal, then yes. But i think we all know he wont do that.

truehibernian
28-10-2010, 04:35 PM
His performance first half v Dundee Utd when we drew 1-1 at ER last season was worth the season ticket money alone. True, the wee man can be frustrating, and I am sure the medics at ER scratch their head at times with him regards "injuries", but on form there is no better player to watch in full flow.

He was on fire for the first few games. Had a howler at Perth as they all did, and the game he got injured he was the best player on the park first half. Gutted when it became clear it was serious. I recall the team being 2-0 down v Aberdeen midweek and the wee man came on second half and lifted the whole place with his pace, tricks, cheekiness and skill. The team were noticibly lifted too. It rubbed off on Benji too. Salvaged a draw that game as well I recall. Hughes letting Benji go without a whimper was a travesty too IMHO but that's another can of worms.

Anyone who thinks this current team can do without Merouane, and is happy to see him go, I am sorry, I simply shake my head and as old Arthur Montford would say "deary deary me........"

Cropley10
29-10-2010, 10:22 AM
His performance first half v Dundee Utd when we drew 1-1 at ER last season was worth the season ticket money alone. True, the wee man can be frustrating, and I am sure the medics at ER scratch their head at times with him regards "injuries", but on form there is no better player to watch in full flow.

He was on fire for the first few games. Had a howler at Perth as they all did, and the game he got injured he was the best player on the park first half. Gutted when it became clear it was serious. I recall the team being 2-0 down v Aberdeen midweek and the wee man came on second half and lifted the whole place with his pace, tricks, cheekiness and skill. The team were noticibly lifted too. It rubbed off on Benji too. Salvaged a draw that game as well I recall. Hughes letting Benji go without a whimper was a travesty too IMHO but that's another can of worms.

Anyone who thinks this current team can do without Merouane, and is happy to see him go, I am sorry, I simply shake my head and as old Arthur Montford would say "deary deary me........"

Again I completely agree.

The idea that he will leave and someone with remotely like his ability will come in is laughable.

As for the pay as you play suggestion - all footballers should be on this, but it was hardly his fault he ruptured his cruciate.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Again I completely agree.

The idea that he will leave and someone with remotely like his ability will come in is laughable.

As for the pay as you play suggestion - all footballers should be on this, but it was hardly his fault he ruptured his cruciate.

As i have said before he's one of our best if not THE best player, certainly the most exciting player we have imho. 54 games in 4 years, even if you take out the season he spent away. 54 games in 3 seasons is just not enough.

If he wanted to sign a new deal, i wonder what he'd want? Will he suddenly start playing more games? Thats doubtful considering this recent serious injury. When you add up what he's likely to want, what kind of return we might see, its a no from me.

Steve-O
29-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Aye but it's no usually analysis of a gee gee's form guide...:rolleyes:

truehibernian
29-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Surely though it is in the interests of Hibernian that we keep talented players at the club. They may also influence the decisions of potential signings from the same neck of the woods.

Regards his appearances, the same could apply to Hargreaves at Man Utd, Owen at Newcastle and now Man Utd, and Van Pursie at Arsenal. Would you get rid of them as hastily or do what their managers did and be loyal to talented but unlucky players ?

Cropley10
29-10-2010, 11:10 AM
As i have said before he's one of our best if not THE best player, certainly the most exciting player we have imho. 54 games in 4 years, even if you take out the season he spent away. 54 games in 3 seasons is just not enough.

If he wanted to sign a new deal, i wonder what he'd want? Will he suddenly start playing more games? Thats doubtful considering this recent serious injury. When you add up what he's likely to want, what kind of return we might see, its a no from me.

Thankfully you're not making the decision:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Surely though it is in the interests of Hibernian that we keep talented players at the club. They may also influence the decisions of potential signings from the same neck of the woods.

Regards his appearances, the same could apply to Hargreaves at Man Utd, Owen at Newcastle and now Man Utd, and Van Pursie at Arsenal. Would you get rid of them as hastily or do what their managers did and be loyal to talented but unlucky players ?

Yes i would get rid of any player we are not getting enough games from. We cant afford the games ration Zemamma has given us imho. Hibs cant carry players like these clubs do.

truehibernian
29-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't agree BH.

Players like Merouane are your marquee players, who whilst I admit has not played as often as we all like, has qualities to the club off the pitch too.

My son for example wants his number on his new hibs tops, he wants the poster of the wee man on his wall. Apply the same logic to Kev McCann and he is not as marketable. I would argue that the salaries of Kev and Fabian were a drain that could have been put to better use, but we had managers who showed tremendous loyalty.

Injuries are the occupational hazard of sport unfortunately. But Zemmama is also our marketable player along with Derek IMHO. Madness to get rid of him for many reasons.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't agree BH.

Players like Merouane are your marquee players, who whilst I admit has not played as often as we all like, has qualities to the club off the pitch too.

My son for example wants his number on his new hibs tops, he wants the poster of the wee man on his wall. Apply the same logic to Kev McCann and he is not as marketable. I would argue that the salaries of Kev and Fabian were a drain that could have been put to better use, but we had managers who showed tremendous loyalty.

Injuries are the occupational hazard of sport unfortunately. But Zemmama is also our marketable player along with Derek IMHO. Madness to get rid of him for many reasons.

Then we have a support who are not loyal, that turn on the manager, and want results that surely dip because of these injury prone players fleeting appearances. I understand players get injured, i understand that is part and parcel of the game. What i do know is our club unlike the big clubs in england, cant afford to carry players who are injury prone. And while i like Zemamma IMHO we are not getting value for money. And the important point again imho is i cant see that improving.

For theses reasons i cant see the club offering a new contract Zemamma would accept.

Hibs90
29-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Then we have a support who are not loyal, that turn on the manager, and want results that surely dip because of these injury prone players fleeting appearances. I understand players get injured, i understand that is part and parcel of the game. What i do know is our club unlike the big clubs in england, cant afford to carry players who are injury prone. And while i like Zemamma IMHO we are not getting value for money. And the important point again imho is i cant see that improving.

For theses reasons i cant see the club offering a new contract Zemamma would accept.

Agree to an extent, I can't see them agreeing a new deal, but we should be trying to keep ahold of our best player and on his day, one of the SPL's best.

--------
29-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't agree BH.

Lot of sense here, TH. Even having MZ around to encourage younger players to try the things that he can do is good.

Just a question that hopefully someone who's a bigger anorak than I am can answer - how many Hibs players have suffered injuries IN TRAINING over the past few years that have kept them out of the team?

Right now we're missing Darryl Duffy and Sean Welsh for this reason - having them fit would make a big difference to CC's attacking options.

And how come with all the facilities we have at EM does it take so long for some of our playerrs to recover fitness? Are they ALL just lead-swinging lazy malingerers?

greenlex
29-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Agree to an extent, I can't see them agreeing a new deal, but we should be trying to keep ahold of our best player and on his day, one of the SPL's best.

We shouldn't be trying to hold onto an injury prone player. We should trying to get someone as gifted but in our price range. Passenger that needs to have his contract run down Im afraid. We should sign the guy trundle. He is a skillful and playing non league IIRC. I reckon he could almost reach legend status and would be one of the best in the SPL.

truehibernian
29-10-2010, 04:56 PM
We shouldn't be trying to hold onto an injury prone player. We should trying to get someone as gifted but in our price range. Passenger that needs to have his contract run down Im afraid. We should sign the guy trundle. He is a skillful and playing non league IIRC. I reckon he could almost reach legend status and would be one of the best in the SPL.

If you look at Lee Trundle's CV, his fitness levels and attitude at his last few clubs, you will see why he is at Neath now.

I see what you are saying about getting someone in the price range, however a 34 year old journeyman with "weight issues" does not replace a 26 year old with skills only few in the SPL could reach IMHO.

_hucks_
29-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't agree BH.

I see where you're coming from, but does this marketable stuff really generate us that much money? More than say, a month of his wages? I'd think it'd only be a fraction of that. FWIW I really rate the wee man and would keep him at the club in the hope we can start getting some games out of him, cracking player when fit. I wouldn't lose sleep over him going though, as I completely understand that he doesn't really play enough at the moment to justify us paying a wage.

truehibernian
29-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I see where you're coming from, but does this marketable stuff really generate us that much money? More than say, a month of his wages? I'd think it'd only be a fraction of that. FWIW I really rate the wee man and would keep him at the club in the hope we can start getting some games out of him, cracking player when fit. I wouldn't lose sleep over him going though, as I completely understand that he doesn't really play enough at the moment to justify us paying a wage.

True, but I maybe didn't explain it that well.

What I meant was the Merouane is not only a very very good footballer (when he plays), but he offers things off the pitch which may be difficult to measure. There is the marketing, which I do think makes a difference. All you need to do is head to ER and hear the "Ooooh Zemmama" chants when the wee fella warms up, does something great on the ball, or lifts the crowd. Young kids look at that and want to be the wee man, albeit in a strip that says "7" on Leith Links or The Meadows.

The other factor, which I don't think Hibs managers have explored, is the North African market. Zemmama came to Hibs with the knowledge that he had Benji here as a friend and confidente. In fact it was Benji's recommendation to TM that started the process. I know CC has stated on record that the English market is one where he will concentrate his business, but having a player with Zemmama's background (and say faith) may swing it if we go for a player from that area of the world.

For me Zemmama and Riordan, along with Sol Bamba, are the only currently marketable players if they were to be put on the transfer market if we needed funds. That is why for me it is criminal that both have not been made the main focus of contractual talks, given I think Sol will be away in January.

Like you say though there is two sides to this argument and some will not want to see a salary paid to a player regularly on the treatment table.

essexhibee
29-10-2010, 08:22 PM
True, but I maybe didn't explain it that well.

What I meant was the Merouane is not only a very very good footballer (when he plays), but he offers things off the pitch which may be difficult to measure. There is the marketing, which I do think makes a difference. All you need to do is head to ER and hear the "Ooooh Zemmama" chants when the wee fella warms up, does something great on the ball, or lifts the crowd. Young kids look at that and want to be the wee man, albeit in a strip that says "7" on Leith Links or The Meadows.

The other factor, which I don't think Hibs managers have explored, is the North African market. Zemmama came to Hibs with the knowledge that he had Benji here as a friend and confidente. In fact it was Benji's recommendation to TM that started the process. I know CC has stated on record that the English market is one where he will concentrate his business, but having a player with Zemmama's background (and say faith) may swing it if we go for a player from that area of the world.

For me Zemmama and Riordan, along with Sol Bamba, are the only currently marketable players if they were to be put on the transfer market if we needed funds. That is why for me it is criminal that both have not been made the main focus of contractual talks, given I think Sol will be away in January.

Like you say though there is two sides to this argument and some will not want to see a salary paid to a player regularly on the treatment table.

Well said.

Ive always thought, if we wont to play this passing football, then why not go around to the reknowned footballing clubs in the world (Barcelona, Ajax, Real Madrid etc) and take on the players who they have released. They will have the skills inset in them, and although they might not be good enough for these big clubs they will most likely be good enough for the spl? Bring these guys over, chuck them up in a flat together, play some nice football.

Simples. :wink:

Albion Hibs
29-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Eh.....NO.

I am sure even now you are thinking, I wish I did not write that!!

Andy74
30-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Well said.

Ive always thought, if we wont to play this passing football, then why not go around to the reknowned footballing clubs in the world (Barcelona, Ajax, Real Madrid etc) and take on the players who they have released. They will have the skills inset in them, and although they might not be good enough for these big clubs they will most likely be good enough for the spl? Bring these guys over, chuck them up in a flat together, play some nice football.

Simples. :wink:
Nah, when they end up like Boozy or Miller and don't thunder into tackles all day they'll be called gutless and hounded out.

Judas Iscariot
30-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Eh.....NO.

How?!

Albion Hibs
30-10-2010, 10:54 AM
How?!

One the best players in the league? No chance, as much as I wish he was. A very good player on his days, yes, do we miss him and need him back, yes. But dont think he could be described as one of the best in the league. IMO.

Dunbar Hibee
30-10-2010, 11:47 AM
One the best players in the league? No chance, as much as I wish he was. A very good player on his days, yes, do we miss him and need him back, yes. But dont think he could be described as one of the best in the league. IMO.

I disagree fully.

Cropley10
30-10-2010, 02:32 PM

When will you be faxed back to Kaunas??

What - precisely - do you have to do on here these days to get emptied. Have the Admins gone soft?

Zouma took 7 seconds from the KO to slalom through the Champions and score... he is certainly one of the best players in the SPL :bye:

HFC 0-7
30-10-2010, 02:36 PM

What - precisely - do you have to do on here these days to get emptied. Have the Admins gone soft?

Zouma took 7 seconds from the KO to slalom through the Champions and score... he is certainly one of the best players in the SPL :bye:

He never done much else that game though. When he plays to his best he is definately one of the best players in the league, however, he is posted missing a lot in some games and is far too injury prone.

I suppose its the definition of 'best player' I take into account a lot of things like ability, consistency and fitness. I wouldnt class him as one of the best players in the league because of this. I would say that there isnt many more players in the league with more ability than him.

Hibs90
30-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Eh.....NO.

Nope. Who's better than an on song Zemmama?

Dare I remind you of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHzjde0vgk :wink:

Lofarl
30-10-2010, 02:39 PM

It was Stokes that scored.