PDA

View Full Version : David Stephens?

nickwhibs
25-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Surely the big man deserves a shot in the team. He can't be any worse than the others who form our joke of a defence. He looked good against Dunfermline and the short time he was on against Motherwell. Looks composed and aggressive...something which has been sorely lacking from our team for a long time. I understand that maybe we shouldn't rush him into first team football but we seriously need a change at the back as this farcical defending can't go on. Against Utd I'd go with a back four of Hart, Stephens, Murray/Hanlon, and Grounds. Thoughts?

El Gubbz
25-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Anything that leaves Dickoh out the team

matty_f
25-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Surely the big man deserves a shot in the team. He can't be any worse than the others who form our joke of a defence. He looked good against Dunfermline and the short time he was on against Motherwell. Looks composed and aggressive...something which has been sorely lacking from our team for a long time. I understand that maybe we shouldn't rush him into first team football but we seriously need a change at the back as this farcical defending can't go on. Against Utd I'd go with a back four of Hart, Stephens, Murray/Hanlon, and Grounds. Thoughts?

Would be happy enough with that back four, provided we moved bamba into midfield to protect them a bit.

500miles
25-10-2010, 04:53 PM
The laddie is 18. Hanlon is 20. For all the stick our defence gets, it get's NO protection from the midfield. Does anyone seriously think that it's a good idea to expose two boys with a combined age less than that of Davie Weir to that sort of pressure?

Even if Bamba was playing in front of them, I wouldn't want him to be the voice of experience in there.

Tricla
25-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Anything that leaves Dickoh out the team

Ah Dickoh.

Another, who like De Graaf, Grounds and Trakys, has been given the time required to adapt to the SPL and the full backing of his 'support' to help him along before an opinion of him has been formulated.

:rolleyes:

nickwhibs
25-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Would be happy enough with that back four, provided we moved bamba into midfield to protect them a bit.

Agree with you there. He's got great attributes but just lacks the concentration and positional sense to be be a good centre half. Therefore being in midfield suits him better imo.

Bostonhibby
25-10-2010, 06:00 PM

:agree: Absolutely agree, this guy looks a player, we won't actually know if he can compete unless we try him, and he can't do any worse than whats been on show recently.

I am a bit concerned that otherwise he might just disappear off elsewhere as his career seems to have been progressively upward and if he is that sort of player why would he want to hang around on the fringes of a poor defence without getting a chance where others might give him it?

oconnors_strip
25-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I would give the lad a run in the team. Why did Hughes sign him if he was not going to play him? I take it he is too old for the under 19s?

The lack of a reserve league and bounce games that are played in its place will not help him improve. I feel that a few players have suffered since there is no competitive intermediate step between under 19s and the first team. Loaning folk out to gain experience is fine but young players need to get used to working with their own team mates and coaches first and foremost.

majority of teams that we loan players out to are only part time. the players train with hibs still during the week and train with their team the evenings they have their usual sessions. so they arent missing out on working with our coaches and players

nickwhibs
25-10-2010, 06:15 PM
The laddie is 18. Hanlon is 20. For all the stick our defence gets, it get's NO protection from the midfield. Does anyone seriously think that it's a good idea to expose two boys with a combined age less than that of Davie Weir to that sort of pressure?

Even if Bamba was playing in front of them, I wouldn't want him to be the voice of experience in there.

That's why I said maybe Murray in beside him. Also Hart can help him along too...

Albion Hibs
25-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Dont fancy stephens at all yet, if he was ready I think we would be in. Given our position in the league I am reluctant to try the age old .net and just say lets give him a whirl!

I would go with a back four of

Hart / Hogg / Hanlon / Murray

With the possible exception of Grounds in for Hogg.

"protect them" from what? The possibility of keeping clean sheet!

Only kidding, if he is going to play anywhere I would put him in the mixu style midfield role in place of McBride.

Hibee Daz
25-10-2010, 06:57 PM
The main problem with our defence is that various centre backs are continually being asked to play as fullbacks, they are clearly out of their comfort zones and as they don't have the required pace to deal with wingers, they're then unable do put in a reliable shift!

We need to play people in their natural positions. I still think the left back slot is still a big issue as I don't even think Grounds looks remotely comfortable in there and that is supposed to be his natural position. Murray is never a left back, but he is the most reliable player out of whom we have to choose from for that position at the moment!

I would like to see Hart,Stephens,Hanlon,Murray with Bamba just in front of them, then you just have to hope that Hart and Murray can use their experience to marshal them along, as has already been suggested!

We have to bite the bullet and drop Miller or McBride to then accommodate Bamba as a central defensive midfielder. Both McBride and Miller are way too similar and very lightweight but I would be inclined to drop McBride, because Miller has that extra bit of class when he applies himself properly!

Bearders
25-10-2010, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=pistolpete1875;2617729]I would give the lad a run in the team.

According to one or two eye witnesses, including RP, the lad is the fastest player currently on the books.

Pace is something we don't have anywhere in the side. While it is very difficult for the "punters" to make an assessment of Stephens attributes as we are not privvy to the day to day training regimes at East Mains, we have all watched the dismal defensive efforts to date, so the time is fast approaching for his name to be considered.

I am sure that CC will give every player an opportunity to stake a claim in his thoughts, after Saturday, I'm hoping a few have already hastened their departure

CmoantheHibs
26-10-2010, 08:20 AM
CC needs time to assess the players at his disposal but Im sure if Stephens shows enough in training his chance will come.Just hope whoever CC puts his faith in shows the desire to grab their opportunity.

Dr Jimmy
26-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Norwich fan at work (whom I seem to refer to a lot...sorry!), said Stephens was highly thought of at Carrow Road and he was amazed they let him go. He also saw Grounds play at CH for Norwich (whilst on loan there) and said he done a job there as well.
Therefore we have options other than the current pairing/s, if we are to believe the Norwich fan that is....:greengrin

Big Frank
26-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Best Hibernian defender by a country mile at East End Park.

Hibee Daz
26-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Best Hibernian defender by a country mile at East End Park.

That's what I thought as well, he definitely should be given an opportunity to prove his worth. The laddie has an aerial presence and as we can't defend crosses for toffee, he certainly wouldn't weaken us by his inclusion!

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Given United's use of set pieces, we really need a central defender on Saturday who has a remit of getting the ball back where it came from. With that in mind, I would put him in the middle with A.N Other for his size if nothing else. We need to push up on the wings and try to stop the crosses coming in as well, maybe like a 4-1-1-2-2

MrRobot
26-10-2010, 11:41 AM

If they are good enough, they are old enough :agree:

At The Edge
26-10-2010, 11:49 AM

:agree: take Jack Wilshire at Arsenal, different standard i know but hes only 18 and doing the business in the EPL.

Only going to get better if they get played.
hope to see him very soon and having CC as his manager now who himself was a international defender, will only do him good in the long run.

Heedersnvolleys
26-10-2010, 06:27 PM
First post so gimmie a break. This thread sums up exactly what was wrong with yogi's signings IMHO! He seemed infatuated with signing versatile players who can play numerous positions. Yeah with a small squad you need a few like that but not every single one! That's why he was his own worst enemy by playing so many out of position! I think that is why Hart has done well knows his position! Hanlon must not know whether he is coming or going! If we need a LB buy a LB don't buy a LB that can play CH or CH that can play LB!

GloryGlory
27-10-2010, 11:07 AM

:agree: Only in Scotland is a 21, 22 or 23 year old player considered young and promising. All the really good players have made the breakthrough before they are 20 and have cemented their places in the first team at 21 or 22.

Albion Hibs
27-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Norwich fan at work (whom I seem to refer to a lot...sorry!), said Stephens was highly thought of at Carrow Road and he was amazed they let him go. He also saw Grounds play at CH for Norwich (whilst on loan there) and said he done a job there as well.
Therefore we have options other than the current pairing/s, if we are to believe the Norwich fan that is....:greengrin

Would not have thought the above was to on the money, did they not loan him out two seasons on the bounce? Latterly I know he was at Lincoln and they had the opportunity to sign him and did not which perhaps creates a question?

From what I saw pre season he is not the best in the air which is surprising, but I am hopeful that this season being in and around the bench will give him that bit of desire and working the a CH like CC will bring on his game.

He is young and he has time, so no need to rush and throw players in just because they are different to the ones that were playing the week before.