PDA

View Full Version : New Formation

Caroline Hibby
25-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I was down south last week and Calderwood's move was fairly big news in the north east. There was a lot of speculation about Houghton's position at Newcastle and his possible sacking. Their 3 points away to WH has certainly bought him time, but I was more interested in NU's tactics at the weekend. They played 2 big guys up front and I wondered if CC would consider playing Nish and Trackys. I think it's worth a try. NU still played decent football so it's not 'hoofball', but it means the long ball is more of an option and 2 big guys putting themselves about has more potential to upset a defence. Deek playing just off the front two could work quite well. Just a thought.

Albion Hibs
25-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I was down south last week and Calderwood's move was fairly big news in the north east. There was a lot of speculation about Houghton's position at Newcastle and his possible sacking. Their 3 points away to WH has certainly bought him time, but I was more interested in NU's tactics at the weekend. They played 2 big guys up front and I wondered if CC would consider playing Nish and Trackys. I think it's worth a try. NU still played decent football so it's not 'hoofball', but it means the long ball is more of an option and 2 big guys putting themselves about has more potential to upset a defence. Deek playing just off the front two could work quite well. Just a thought.

from what I heard / saw of his previous teams forest, newcastle etc he is a fan of the long ball game, so I would think the above is possible.

blackpoolhibs
25-10-2010, 12:06 PM
The only problem i see with that formation is the 2 players up front need to be able to put themselves about, and also be able to control the ball, bring in down an hold it up, then lay it off.

stokesmessiah
25-10-2010, 07:19 PM
The only problem i see with that formation is the 2 players up front need to be able to put themselves about, and also be able to control the ball, bring in down an hold it up, then lay it off.

Are you trying to say Trakys & Nish would not be capable of this? :wink:

CmoantheHibs
26-10-2010, 01:18 PM
If the forwards in a system like this do their job properly then it allows time for the midfield/wingbacks/fullbacks to get up and support.As it stands just now we have no pace and play at a slow pace as well as having some technically deficient players so it may be that the squad we have is better suited to a system like this.Im sure it is a possibility.

J-C
26-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I think CC has bigger problems at hand trying to get this rag tag bunch of no gooders playing as a team and for themselves and more importantly the fans. Since last Feb I'd say most of this bunch have never cared a hoot about results/fans/board etc, take the wages, turn up for training and game day,then down to the pub/bookies/designer shops with the missus.

Firtly he needs to see who's willing to try 100% for the cause, get shot of the dead wood, no matter who they are or what reputation they have, fans favourites or not.

Defense is his first priority after last weeks performance, also all the previous weeks beforehand, get a solid base and build from that, there's no use have 2 big guys up front holding up the ball if the defense is as leaky as a string vest.