PDA

View Full Version : Steven Fletcher questions Craig Levein...

3pm
25-10-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/2010/10/25/scotland-tactics-row-continues-as-steven-fletcher-blasts-craig-levein-over-4-6-0-line-up-86908-22657037/

Steven Fletcher is on a collision course with Scotland boss Craig Levein.

The ex-Hibs striker, who joined Wolves for s7million in summer, has blasted Levein's 4-6-0 tactics in the 1-0 flop against the Czech Republic this month.

Fletcher believes he is being frozen out by the manager.

The 23-year-old said: "I don't think we have done as well as we should have.

"The boys have to trust in the gaffer, in what he wants to do and go and do it but it didn't pay off.

"He said we played well. Maybe in his mind we did but I felt we should have gone out and attacked.

"The team was good enough to win the game but he tried to go defensively and it didn't work out."

Fletcher didn't play in any of the four qualifiers that saw Scotland win once, lose twice and draw.

He said: "It's frustrating, especially when you don't know what's going on.

"I went into the last set of games thinking I had a chance and I was in the stand so I was p****d off. Charlie Adam was with me in the stand in Prague and I think he was disappointed too.

"He is captain of Blackpool, an English Premier League side doing well, and you would expect him at least to be on the bench.

"When he came on against Spain he changed the game."

Fletcher, who has eight caps, has been ditched with Levein preferring Rangers' Kenny Miller.

The ex-Burnley star added: "I'm playing well for my club but still not getting a chance.

"What disappointed me most is that he didn't say a word to me."

Go on your self Fletch. :agree:

Hibs Class
25-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Agree with what Fletcher says. It is an unusually well-measured article by the Daily Record - that's probably because it is pretty much a cut and paste from yesterday's Sunday Times.

Westie1875
25-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Well said Fletch, at last one of the players has had the bottle to open their mouths.

H18sry
25-10-2010, 11:54 AM
It's all to do with his Hibs connections I tell you :agree:

Sir David Gray
25-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Completely agree with him but that will be the last we will see of him for the remainder of Levein's reign.

When all is said and done, I don't suppose you can really have players coming out and publicly criticising the manager like that.

Levein makes the decisions, rightly or wrongly, and he has to live with them.

Dinkydoo
25-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I agree with everything Fletcher has said - even the bit about Charlie Adam :bitchy:.

Perhaps not the brightest thing to do (be publically critical of tactics used by your manager) when your wanting a place in the team.

Tin hat firmly on here, I actually kind of liked CL before he got the Scotland job, I always thought he was a decent Manager and did very well with Dundee United.

Now that I've watched a few interviews on him it's become apparent that he's an arrogantly stubborn (to the point of being delusional) git who clearly favours Rangers players and people with the slightest connection to being Scottish over (and in most cases better IMO) options that haven't just got a Scottish great grandad.

IMO the following players should be playing regularly for Scotland and at the very least have a place on the bench: Maloney, Adam, Fletcher, Deeks.

Although there are others.

Green Mikey
25-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Well said Fletch, at last one of the players has had the bottle to open their mouths.

:agree:

Levein has being trying to dodge any questions or criticism of his tactics against the Czechs, it's a about time someone has come out and said that it was a complete farce of a game.

It is pretty obvious to most people that Fletcher and Adam have been performing at a high level over the last few months but they are getting very limited chances in the national team for some inexplicable reason.

David@EasterRoad
25-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Feel sorry for Fletch, he seems to have fallen behind Mackie in the pecking order even though he plays at a higher level every week?

Calvin
25-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I think he's said what we're all thinking. Christophe Berra captains Wolves quite regularly, Charlie Adam is Blackpool captain and plays well for them and Fletch is a £7m Premiership goalscorer, yet apparently none of them are good enough to be in the Scotland side that is playing oh so well at them moment?

Hibee Daz
25-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Completely agree with him but that will be the last we will see of him for the remainder of Levein's reign.

When all is said and done, I don't suppose you can really have players coming out and publicly criticising the manager like that.

I think your right, he probably has just talked himself out of being selected now.
For Fletcher to no longer be considered though, could be one of the nails in Leveins coffin, as to not consider a player who is doing reasonably well for a premiership side is ludicrous, as we simply don't have enough strikers of that calibre to choose from!
I think Leveins pigheadedness will lead to his downfall in the not so distant future IMO.

Tricla
25-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Levien is a scrote

Ryan69
25-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Well said Steven Fletcher! :thumbsup:

About time somebody stood up and telt Harry Potter what everybody is thinking!

:taxi for Potter!

hibbytam
25-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I think your right, he probably has just talked himself out of being selected now.
For Fletcher to no longer be considered though, could be one of the nails in Leveins coffin, as to not consider a player who is doing reasonably well for a premiership side is ludicrous, as we simply don't have enough strikers of that calibre to choose from!
I think Leveins pigheadedness will lead to his downfall in the not so distant future IMO.

Don't think he was in line to be picked anyway. Not while there's Miller, and some lad who's dad was born in Scotland while his parents were on holiday. Evidently a premiership striker would have no hope against competition like that.

MrSmith
25-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I find these articles full of it! The amount of ambiguity and quote marks are astounding!!!

The Daily Record has a veiled pop at Craig Levien for his negative tactics against The Czech Republic yet suck Walters welt the previous week for playing exactly the same tactics?? Actually Walters welt playe a 1 10 formation against Man United!

Rediculous article and I'll bet, infact I'll guarantee that Steven will come out and deny he said any of that.

Dashing Bob S
25-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Any of the very few Scottish players with a modicum of international class should be trying to talk themselves out of being associated with the ongoing dreary festival of mediocrity and failure that is our international set up.

Sound thinking Fletch, focus on football and you won't be tainted with nonsense like the Czech fiasco or the next toe curler that is in the post as we speak.

Jim44
25-10-2010, 03:56 PM
It's all to do with his Hibs connections I tell you :agree:

I take it you're not jesting. It is a fact that Levein has an innate and undesguisable hatred of all things Hibernian. I've already said on here before that he was heard to say (sorry no source, for my own reputation) that Riordan will never kick a ball for Scotland while he is manager. I'm really quite surprised that Fletcher was included in his squad.

ScottB
25-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Considering he welcomed McGreggor and was chasing after Barry the Crab with open arms, it would be hugely hypocritical to cut Steven for this.

Though as others say, he probably doesn't have much chance anyway!

.Sean.
25-10-2010, 05:02 PM
On yersel' Stevie boy!!

Levein is an ignorant, biased, specky Jambo fud of the highest order.

Billy Hunt.

GreenPJ
25-10-2010, 05:10 PM

:agree: Spot on. No matter how much we might all think this and can say this as fans you can't have players criticising the manager in public and expect to play. I think Steven is done with Scotland until HP is magic'd off to the land of negative football.

Hibs Class
25-10-2010, 05:16 PM
:agree: Spot on. No matter how much we might all think this and can say this as fans you can't have players criticising the manager in public and expect to play. I think Steven is done with Scotland until HP is magic'd off to the land of negative football.

I have my doubts that Vlad would take him back, but you may be right.

Greenblood70
25-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Levien is a scrote

:agree:Say no more...despised the man since his playing days.

Phil D. Rolls
25-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Now that I've watched a few interviews on him it's become apparent that he's an arrogantly stubborn (to the point of being delusional) git who clearly favours Rangers players and people with the slightest connection to being Scottish over (and in most cases better IMO) options that haven't just got a Scottish great grandad.

What do you expect - he's a Fifer. :duck:

Bostonhibby
25-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Just a huge pity there is no ex OF connection, otherwise the SFA might sit up and listen if he went further and said he wasn't available for selection any more, they could then reinstate him when the next manager comes in.

If I was him, I would wait until the next time he is fortunate enough to be selected, get absolutely bladdered before the game, make sure the press pick up on it, generally embarass the nation, then at the game itself stick the V's up to everyone. That should ensure automatic selection and the manager grovelling to wipe the slate clean.

Arch Stanton
25-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Even if he thinks that.

Even if he thinks he is right. (Which he most definitely isn't IMO).

By expressing these views he is incontrovertibly stupid. Does he reckon his role in life is to be a football player or a pundit?

Did he really think this one through?

Does he really have the capability of thinking this one through?

Does he see his future playing football or does he see his future giving football hacks the benefit of his insight?

Has he ever heard of the phrase 'knuckling down'?

Iggy Pope
25-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I find these articles full of it! The amount of ambiguity and quote marks are astounding!!!

The Daily Record has a veiled pop at Craig Levien for his negative tactics against The Czech Republic yet suck Walters welt the previous week for playing exactly the same tactics?? Actually Walters welt playe a 1 10 formation against Man United!

Rediculous article and I'll bet, infact I'll guarantee that Steven will come out and deny he said any of that.

He said most of it in the Times the day before so he might have a job denying it.

He also worryingly went on a bit about his move further South making it 'harder to get home' and how he gets homesick - sure the Ugly Sisters will fasten on to this.

Iggy Pope
25-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I take it you're not jesting. It is a fact that Levein has an innate and undesguisable hatred of all things Hibernian. I've already said on here before that he was heard to say (sorry no source, for my own reputation) that Riordan will never kick a ball for Scotland while he is manager. I'm really quite surprised that Fletcher was included in his squad.

While none of this would surprise me and I don't need to look far for reasons to dislike Craig Levein, (and I'm ambivalent about the National side), Fletch is an ex-Hibby like Caldwell, Whittaker, Brown and Miller are and he doesn't seem to have trouble picking them....and he signed Paul Hartley for Hertz......

Bostonhibby
25-10-2010, 08:17 PM
While none of this would surprise me and I don't need to look far for reasons to dislike Craig Levein, (and I'm ambivalent about the National side), Fletch is an ex-Hibby like Caldwell, Whittaker, Brown and Miller are and he doesn't seem to have trouble picking them....and he signed Paul Hartley for Hertz......

:agree: Then again maybe its just about the absolute delight on Deek's face when he scores against Harry's old team that makes him stand out above all the rest?:wink:

clerriehibs
25-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Even if he thinks that.

Even if he thinks he is right. (Which he most definitely isn't IMO).

By expressing these views he is incontrovertibly stupid. Does he reckon his role in life is to be a football player or a pundit?

Did he really think this one through?

Does he really have the capability of thinking this one through?

Does he see his future playing football or does he see his future giving football hacks the benefit of his insight?

Has he ever heard of the phrase 'knuckling down'?

He's right. He also knows Harry Potter is on a very sticky wicket. He knows that he, despite being a regularly playing premierleague striker, is behind championship players Mackie AND Iwelumo (his replacement at burnley, ffs). Why shouldn't he tell it how it is? He knows HP isn't going to be around much longer. Deeks is playing well ... he isn 't telling HP how it is ... do you think he's in any different a situation from Fletch? The thug levein doesn't rate them ... doesn't like them ... doesn't like their Hibs background.

And I think you'll find that if Fletch wasn't the type to knuckle down, he wouldn't have been signed by either Coyle or McCarthy.

Arch Stanton
25-10-2010, 08:34 PM
He's right. He also knows Harry Potter is on a very sticky wicket. He knows that he, despite being a regularly playing premierleague striker, is behind championship players Mackie AND Iwelumo (his replacement at burnley, ffs). Why shouldn't he tell it how it is? He knows HP isn't going to be around much longer. Deeks is playing well ... he isn 't telling HP how it is ... do you think he's in any different a situation from Fletch? The thug levein doesn't rate them ... doesn't like them ... doesn't like their Hibs background.

And I think you'll find that if Fletch wasn't the type to knuckle down, he wouldn't have been signed by either Coyle or McCarthy.

Sorry but while you might think that playing for Scotland is down to some kind of pecking order then you and me have pretty different ideas on what sporting contests are all about.

Deeks isn't playing for Scotland because he has too many limitations to be an international player for a country with the slightest aspirations to reaching the finals of major tournaments.

Coyle and McCarthy would have dropped Fletch in a heartbeat if he had gone to the press with his ideas on how they couldn't manage!!

This antipathy to Levein is silliness - juvenile silliness at that.

clerriehibs
25-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Sorry but while you might think that playing for Scotland is down to some kind of pecking order then you and me have pretty different ideas on what sporting contests are all about.

Deeks isn't playing for Scotland because he has too many limitations to be an international player for a country with the slightest aspirations to reaching the finals of major tournaments.

Coyle and McCarthy would have dropped Fletch in a heartbeat if he had gone to the press with his ideas on how they couldn't manage!!

Claptrap. Levein's an arrogant clown. To set out a team to play 4-6-0 is an indicator of Levein's aspirations, but then, his only aspiration when he was at hertz was to beat, or not get beaten by, Hibs. You want juvenile? Look at levein's behaviour in the post-match interviews. You want juvenile? Look at how levein shouted his gob off at the sfa when he was at hertz. You want juvenile? look at levein breaking his team mate's jaw during a friendly, ffs! Levein's an idiot. Always has been, always will be.

clerriehibs
25-10-2010, 08:49 PM

You should probably know that fletch wasn't dropped for mouthing off about levein. So what's your point, caller?

Arch Stanton
25-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Claptrap. Levein's an arrogant clown. To set out a team to play 4-6-0 is an indicator of Levein's aspirations, but then, his only aspiration when he was at hertz was to beat, or not get beaten by, Hibs. You want juvenile? Look at levein's behaviour in the post-match interviews. You want juvenile? Look at how levein shouted his gob off at the sfa when he was at hertz. You want juvenile? look at levein breaking his team mate's jaw during a friendly, ffs! Levein's an idiot. Always has been, always will be.

What kind of tit are you?

If you can make some kind of genuine response to what I posted then I will attempt to reply.

clerriehibs
25-10-2010, 08:56 PM
What kind of tit are you?

If you can make some kind of genuine response to what I posted then I will attempt to reply.

Have you been on the bottle again, knobhead?

Arch Stanton
25-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Have you been on the bottle again, knobhead?

Thanks for the laugh!

Fletch has the might of Monty Python backing him! Opposing the Hogworts crew I'm guessing!

500miles
26-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Fletcher made the wrong statements there. Instead of saying he was disappointed in not being involved, he should have said he hoped to be involved next time around, and made his case. The media pick up his case, and ensure that he is in Levien's thoughts.

At the same time, Levien showed no belief in his players, and publicly doubted them as much as, if not more so, than Fletcher has done by way of putting out that 4-6-0 formation.

That said, he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Heckys Wheel
26-10-2010, 03:19 AM
Always good to hear somebody getting ripped into Potter, especially a Hibby.

But it's getting tiresome hearing players showing this level of disrespect to their managers.

He's what? 23? 24? With 8 caps for his country. Telling an experienced manager how to set up a team in International football.

These guys are too big for their boots and need to be brought down a peg or too. His comments about Adam sum up what is wrong. The general consensus is Playing in the Premiership = Automatic selection.

CmoantheHibs
26-10-2010, 07:15 AM
As much as I agree with most of what he says, it isnt Fletchers place to deride his manager(thats our job:greengrin).The only way Scotland will achieve any success is by playing and acting as a unit.His comments will only spread disharmony.Did Boyd not take a huff coz he wasnt getting a game?He was rightly slated for it.

Dinkydoo
26-10-2010, 07:39 AM
What do you expect - he's a Fifer. :duck:

:greengrin

Phil MaGlass
26-10-2010, 07:58 AM

95 % cant be wrong surely
also just to answer someone elses comments, i think fletcher made the statements as he knows he wont get picked under Potter, and as we all know every new manager wipes the slate clean.
Im surprised he doesnt get a look in.

As for the experienced manager bit, well, everyone and his uncle seemed to know we should have went for the win against CR except for him,an experienced manager wouldnt have taken the huff as often and amateurishly as that specky ****.. he may be experienced but he is definitely not international class.

Just Jimmy
26-10-2010, 11:48 AM
The general consensus is Playing in the Premiership = Automatic selection.

No, the general consenus is that the Premiership is better than the Scottish Pub League. It is. Therefore, players who play regularly, and more so play well when they do (See, Adam, C. Fletcher, S) should be ahead of ***** like McCulloch and in Fletchers case, that 8th central midfielder.

Potters a clown, he was the cheap, easy appointment at the time. He was the wrong choice (he IS the wrong choice), and his negative pishy attitude sums up why we're *****. Further more, it sums up why we'll always be pish until we put a structure in place that will at least give us a fighting chance at developing young talent, and then progressing as a footballing nation.

I'm incredibly proud to be Scottish, and I cannot help but get worked up when Scotland play. I cannot make the games now due to other commitments but none of these factors should stop fans from questioning the rights and MANY MANY MANY wrongs in our game.

KeithTheHibby
26-10-2010, 12:19 PM

How does that explain Kirk Broadfoot getting a game???

Levein is a cock, his tactics and subsequent childish behaviour around the Czech game prove that.

Arch Stanton
26-10-2010, 04:03 PM
How does that explain Kirk Broadfoot getting a game???

Levein is a cock, his tactics and subsequent childish behaviour around the Czech game prove that.

Hold on, I never said that Riordan or Fletcher would never get a game, Scotland is hardly blessed with talent in depth at every position. In fact, with inevitable call-offs and injuries I could well see it happening.

However, while a lot on here would include Riordan and Fletcher in their best eleven I just don't see that. It would be a different story if you could combine their best attributes in a single player - the athleticism, drive, skill, creativity, footballing brain and great shooting with either foot would give you a player who would be impossible to leave out.

Your comment about Levein says more about you than him IMO.

KeithTheHibby
26-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Hold on, I never said that Riordan or Fletcher would never get a game, Scotland is hardly blessed with talent in depth at every position. In fact, with inevitable call-offs and injuries I could well see it happening.

However, while a lot on here would include Riordan and Fletcher in their best eleven I just don't see that. It would be a different story if you could combine their best attributes in a single player - the athleticism, drive, skill, creativity, footballing brain and great shooting with either foot would give you a player who would be impossible to leave out.

Your comment about Levein says more about you than him IMO.

I was merely picking up on your point about players with limited ability initially.

I did then go on and give Potter a bashing. I think you will find that the majority of people agree with me regarding my cock comment, his formation against the Czech shall stand against him forever.

Tell me are you impressed with his start so far?

SurferRosa
26-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Feel sorry for Fletch, he seems to have fallen behind Mackie in the pecking order even though he plays at a higher level every week?

Mackie never played for Hibs.....

Arch Stanton
26-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I was merely picking up on your point about players with limited ability initially.

I did then go on and give Potter a bashing. I think you will find that the majority of people agree with me regarding my cock comment, his formation against the Czech shall stand against him forever.

Tell me are you impressed with his start so far?

Maybe you could first explain what was so bad with the formation - the TV did indeed show the lineup as 4-6-0 with the 6 midfielders strung out in a line left to right - that's not how I saw it - did you? (Or maybe you just want to stick to arguing the case that 4-6-0 is *****).

And while it was reported that there were no strikers in his starting line-up - that wasn't the case either - was it?

Levein, in my view, is a good manager - the fact he uses his own intellect to address the demands of the job rather than do what the punters in the pubs would do is not a negative I don't think - do you?

I have no doubt you believe that, if you were in his shoes, you would have put out a winning team - pretty much the same as fans of any losing team there has ever been - forgive me for doubting your abilities though.

So the answer is yes - I have been impressed with his start and I also believe that a good few of the proposed 'winning' team selections and formations could well have resulted in us being overrun by the Czechs - the notion that Scotland can just turn up to win away against a higher ranked team is nonsense - please tell me you can see that.

Danderhall Hibs
26-10-2010, 07:02 PM
And while it was reported that there were no strikers in his starting line-up - that wasn't the case either - was it?

I think there was one. He played on the right-wing IIRC? Has he scored many goals for QPR from right-wing?

What have you been impressed with so far?

clerriehibs
26-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Maybe you could first explain what was so bad with the formation - the TV did indeed show the lineup as 4-6-0 with the 6 midfielders strung out in a line left to right - that's not how I saw it - did you? (Or maybe you just want to stick to arguing the case that 4-6-0 is *****).

Levein, in my view, is a good manager - the fact he uses his own intellect to address the demands of the job rather than do what the punters in the pubs would do is not a negative I don't think - do you?

I have no doubt you believe that, if you were in his shoes, you would have put out a winning team - pretty much the same as fans of any losing team there has ever been - forgive me for doubting your abilities though.

So the answer is yes - I have been impressed with his start and I also believe that a good few of the proposed 'winning' team selections and formations could well have resulted in us being overrun by the Czechs - the notion that Scotland can just turn up to win away against a higher ranked team is nonsense - please tell me you can see that.

You can defend harry potter for the rest of his short time in charge, but if you're suggesting he didn't line up the Scotland team, the Czechs as a 4-6-0, you're being ridiculous.
The media didn't make it up; that's how he announced (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9076028.stm)it ... or have the bbc got it wrong as well?
There were Scottish strikers on the pitch, but in name only at kick-off and for most of the game. There was certainly no-one playing the striker role.
Maybe it was a plan to confuse the Czechs, but only you seem to have been taken in by it.

Arch Stanton
26-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I think there was one. He played on the right-wing IIRC? Has he scored many goals for QPR from right-wing?

What have you been impressed with so far?

Yes - the graphic did indeed show him on the right wing - 2 on either wing and 2 in the middle in fact, but like I said, that's not how i saw it happening - there was a lot of interchanging going on. No one seems interested in discussing that - I guess just repeating 4-6-0 saves a lot of thinking.

I am impressed by the way Scotland are playing as a team and that non-team players are not being selected. I was also impressed by the fact he didn't not play Miller just so we could just hoof outballs to him - what use has that tactic ever been to us?

Craig Brown was equally lambasted for his negative team selections (earning the nickname Granny Broon in the process) - his detractors were wrong as I believe Levein's detractors will prove to be in the final analysis.

Danderhall Hibs
26-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes - the graphic did indeed show him on the right wing - 2 on either wing and 2 in the middle in fact, but like I said, that's not how i saw it happening - there was a lot of interchanging going on. No one seems interested in discussing that - I guess just repeating 4-6-0 saves a lot of thinking.

I am impressed by the way Scotland are playing as a team and that non-team players are not being selected. I was also impressed by the fact he didn't not play Miller just so we could just hoof outballs to him - what use has that tactic ever been to us?

Craig Brown was equally lambasted for his negative team selections (earning the nickname Granny Broon in the process) - his detractors were wrong as I believe Levein's detractors will prove to be in the final analysis.

What I find dissapointing is his refusal to pick talented footballers that can change a game and instead plays big guys that run about a lot.

That, and the results.

Arch Stanton
26-10-2010, 08:00 PM
What I find dissapointing is his refusal to pick talented footballers that can change a game and instead plays big guys that run about a lot.

That, and the results.

Sorry - who are we talking about, Craig Brown or Craig Levein :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
26-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry - who are we talking about, Craig Brown or Craig Levein :greengrin

:greengrin

The Green Goblin
26-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I think we should have had a go at the Czechs - the performance against Spain very much counted against Levein, in a bizarre way, because it only served to prove himself wrong in his approach to the previous match. If we were able to run the World Champions close, then how can you justify hiding behind the walls against a struggling Czech team?

Levein`s problem for me, is the way he seems to struggle when he is asked reasonable questions about his decisions. It`s embarrassing when the national manager throws the toys out the pram rather than handle himself with a bit of composure and dignity.

GG

Jim44
26-10-2010, 09:56 PM

You overlook one little detail, HH. The players you mention had their Hibby past exorcised by playing for the Old Firm. Riordan ruined his chances by returning to ER.

deeks01
27-10-2010, 04:29 AM
deary me some of the paranoia on here is rediculous! theres no 'anti hibs conspiracy' as many seem to believe , riordan isn't playing because lets face it at the minute hes playing for a struggling non OF team in a piss poor spl. I have no doubt deeks has the talent (and of late even the workrate) to play for scotland it would not go down well with any non-hibbies which is a large section of the scottish support. How would you have felt if craig bryson had been included in last years squad under burley? for what its worth i was quite excited by the appointment of levein as i thought him a talented manager however hes since then proved to be a big headed , arrogant , tactically ******ed , bespectacled fool!

for example:

lithuania: not a bad result away from home tbh was horrific to watch but decent result as long as we could beat them at hampden.

liechtenstein: the most disjointed and lacksadaisacal team performance i have ever seen and iv grew up watching hibs. We never looked like scoring till a lucky bounce and a top drawer finish from miller levelled the game... against a team made up mostly of mechanics and yoga instructors. We got a jammy goal in the last minute that we did NOT deserve and i felt quite guilty to be honest and couldnt even celebrate. For levein then to come out and act as if it had been a wonderful performance and deserved win near made me sick.

czech republic: where to start... czechs are at this point a downtrodden team of similar ability to us who have just lost at home to lithuania , who have fans turning away in droves to such an extent there was about as many scots fans in the stadium as czechs. Therefore this was not your ordinary away game this was a winnable match against a team with zero confidence and for levein not to recognize all these factors is an utter disgrace imo. He went out with no recognized striker except a guy with a scottish granny making his debut on the right wing for some reason. why not play chris burke in that case , scottish , already had a cap , playing at the same level as mackie and is actually scottish? hmm leveins an idiot though and plays mackie. the czechs must have looked at this team with no forwards and thought 'hey these guys are terrified of us we must be good after all'! you could see them growing in confidence as the game wore on as we played 10-11 men behind the ball at all times. I fell asleep during this game , first time thats ever happened. shows how boring it was , not saying we should have went all out attack but an attacking option and occasional attacking intent would have been nice for folk spending a lot of money going over there to watch that. Utter disgrace.

Spain - well done he gets the tactics right for once and we were outmatched only just by the best team in the world. His antics at the press conference after it let him down again though.

and don't get me started on the appointment of failed airdrie manager kenny black as assistant!!!

Craig levein? first rate clown and i hope he gets tae **** sharpish!!!

GhostofBolivar
27-10-2010, 05:59 AM
I would agree with Fletcher.

I've encountered Levein on a couple of occasions and found him to be a thoroughly obnoxious individual.

He's clearly wanted the Scotland job for ages. When he was a TV pundit, he could barely keep the smile from his face whenever we lost because he knew he was one result closer to getting it. At the very least that sort of behaviour was deeply distasteful.

Now he's boss he's behaving like interviewers have insulted his parentage if they ask a question he doesn't like. His behaviour after the Czech Republic game was a disgrace. Journalists have a right to ask about the tactics and formation and for him to basically say that he was right and they know nothing was monumental arrogance.

On top of that, Fletcher has a point about team selection. I'm less sure about Adam - Morrison and Dorrans are performing at a similar level with West Brom - but Fletcher is clearly our best striker. He plays against far better opponents than any of our other strikers, does well, yet he loses out consistently to Kenny Miller - a man whose goal against Liechtenstein was his first international goal in 30 months, and his first goal in a competitive international for 3 years. Whoopee.

In other words Miller's terrible and shouldn't be playing for Scotland. But he's scoring for the Huns, so he has to start. Plus ca change.

Tricla
27-10-2010, 07:46 AM

THe difference is that they can manage though. :wink:

Tricla
27-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Fletcher made the wrong statements there. Instead of saying he was disappointed in not being involved, he should have said he hoped to be involved next time around, and made his case. The media pick up his case, and ensure that he is in Levien's thoughts.

At the same time, Levien showed no belief in his players, and publicly doubted them as much as, if not more so, than Fletcher has done by way of putting out that 4-6-0 formation.

That said, he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

:agree:

Levien deserves all the flack he gets. He deserves flack before even picking a team because he is a nauseating wee amphibian.