PDA

View Full Version : Incredible assessment................?

Reaper
24-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I have looked at a few posts here and on the bounce and I have to say I find some of the assessments about Calderwood incredible. From what I heard he was appointed late on Monday, presumably met the players and would have had a back seat at training on the Tuesday, talked through who was who and what was what with Stevenson and Evans, Tuesday/Wednesday and then had 2 days to prepare for the game. Possibly a tad longer but not much.

Thereafter we go up to Aberdeen, give a ***** performance and get piked. Rightly so folk aren't happy but are also wrongly moaning about CC's reaction. Are we led to believe that the best way for a new manager to introduce himself to the club, fans and players is to just come out and say the team is total ****, there's dressing room unrest and loads are getting emptied?

1. I think CC's reaction is what I would expect from a sensible man, who's willing to listen to the input of others that have been at the club for longer BUT will bide his time and make his own assessments of players attitudes
2. Will no doubt say different things to the players and staff within the confines of the dressing room, which rightly so, should stay there and then present a watered down version to the press.
3. Maybe he does like what he see's player wise (Most of the same group that went 11 games unbeaten at the start of last season) but thinks a different approach and more team unity is needed
4. Last week we won but lets face it, that win was a blip for a team with no confidence, correct attitude or tactical approach.

I'm sure in a few weeks, he will make his mark on the team, moulding it into the shape he wants, playing the players (unless injured) he wants and slowly trying to build confidence within the whole club and not just the first team. He'll not rush into rash decisions and make assessments of players over the next two months or so and by January he'll know what positions are in urgent need of attention and have an idea who will leave in the summer.

Folk are entitled to their own opinion but mine is it is far far too early to make assessments of him yet, I personally don't think his own full stamp will come on the team until the hearts game i.e a fortnight to work with players. He knows fine well the position we're in but he's not a miracle worker and surely expecting him to turn an ailing team on it's head in a matter of days is madness

And as for that we fat YAM expressing his opinion, personally, I'm sure most connected with hibs are the same, I don't want/need his opinions and couldn't/ never will give a **** what he thinks/says

:confused:

matty_f
24-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Good post. Imho, the one person who definitely comes out of yesterday without any question marks over him is calderwood.nobody could justifiably blame or assess him on the strength a couple of days training and an away game.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I thought he used his words very astutely.And I didn't disagree with anything he said.Comes across as quite intelligent.

He better start winning though, and get better than 4th place or everything he does will be ripped to shreds.

BEEJ
24-10-2010, 01:10 PM
He better start winning though, and get better than 4th place or everything he does will be ripped to shreds.
I realise that post is tongue in cheek. :greengrin

Most supporters' expectations are such now that if CC manages to bring some stability, keeps us in the top 8 of the SPL and brings a decent run in the cup, that will be perfectly acceptable for season 2010/11.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Most supporters' expectations are such now that if CC manages to bring some stability, keeps us in the top 8 of the SPL and brings a decent run in the cup, that will be perfectly acceptable for season 2010/11.

:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Its not acceptable though, but, until he can start to change the squad I think its the most we can expect.

bobbyhibs1983
24-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I think a really good post by the O.P so top marks:top marks

I think its only fair,imo we dont expect much ,if anything from THIS season as long as we battle away and stay up, then judge CC.As alot of people often say it takes time for a manage to judge things, get things working for him and whatever, so this season should be about staying up and hoping for the best imo

essexhibee
24-10-2010, 02:18 PM
This season is a write-off for me, given up any hope, just pray we don't get relegated. Next season, after Calderwood has offloaded the players he doesn't want at the club and brought in ones he does want then we can start to make a judgment.

Seanair
24-10-2010, 02:22 PM
If CC had watched a DVD of the Kilmarnock game he would have seen that the team picked by Stevenson/Evans was faulty to say the least. Yes Hogg scored 2 goals but he was at fault for Killie's goal and was hooked because he couldn't deal with their "winger's" pace, while Hart made a better job of it when he came on. So he picks Hogg to play against Aluko!. Then there's Rankin....and Hanlon at left-back....
Far from being his own man, CC went with the players recommended by S/E--well they're not going to admit that some of these players are rubbish and that the win was a fluke.

However we can't change the result, so I just hope that that's the last time he takes advice from S/E, and becomes his own man. He must see even by now that quite a few players are just not good enough.:grr:

IndieHibby
24-10-2010, 05:44 PM
If CC, or anyone else who is written about on hibs.net, pays even the slightest bit of attention to what is written about them, then they don't have the intelligence to get up in the morning, never mind make it in professional football.

I am often embarassed to the core by some of the moronic nonsense written on these boards. Just as well all fans have to do is pay their cash - if some of them had any involvement in running the club it would be good-night, toot-sweet!

It merely proves to me that the people walking the streets, standing next to me at ER and generally masquerading as normal members of society are mindless, brain-dead robots. :tin hat:

jonny
24-10-2010, 06:02 PM

with about 30 games still to play and a January transfer window still to come I'd expect us to finish in the top 6 and would be disappointed if we didn't.

Other than Rangers and Celtic no-one in the league is that far ahead of us that I'd consider them out of sight.
IMO 3rd is still a possibility.

Nuitdelune
24-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Call me pathetic or worse and quite rightly so, but there is a tiny bit of me who would look forward to playing different teams in the first division rather than the bore fest which is the SPL and its same old, same old. Doesn't matter where you are division wise as long as you support the team and have a laugh :taxifor me

bighairyfaeleith
24-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I have looked at a few posts here and on the bounce and I have to say I find some of the assessments about Calderwood incredible. From what I heard he was appointed late on Monday, presumably met the players and would have had a back seat at training on the Tuesday, talked through who was who and what was what with Stevenson and Evans, Tuesday/Wednesday and then had 2 days to prepare for the game. Possibly a tad longer but not much.

Thereafter we go up to Aberdeen, give a ***** performance and get piked. Rightly so folk aren't happy but are also wrongly moaning about CC's reaction. Are we led to believe that the best way for a new manager to introduce himself to the club, fans and players is to just come out and say the team is total ****, there's dressing room unrest and loads are getting emptied?

1. I think CC's reaction is what I would expect from a sensible man, who's willing to listen to the input of others that have been at the club for longer BUT will bide his time and make his own assessments of players attitudes
2. Will no doubt say different things to the players and staff within the confines of the dressing room, which rightly so, should stay there and then present a watered down version to the press.
3. Maybe he does like what he see's player wise (Most of the same group that went 11 games unbeaten at the start of last season) but thinks a different approach and more team unity is needed
4. Last week we won but lets face it, that win was a blip for a team with no confidence, correct attitude or tactical approach.

I'm sure in a few weeks, he will make his mark on the team, moulding it into the shape he wants, playing the players (unless injured) he wants and slowly trying to build confidence within the whole club and not just the first team. He'll not rush into rash decisions and make assessments of players over the next two months or so and by January he'll know what positions are in urgent need of attention and have an idea who will leave in the summer.

Folk are entitled to their own opinion but mine is it is far far too early to make assessments of him yet, I personally don't think his own full stamp will come on the team until the hearts game i.e a fortnight to work with players. He knows fine well the position we're in but he's not a miracle worker and surely expecting him to turn an ailing team on it's head in a matter of days is madness

And as for that we fat YAM expressing his opinion, personally, I'm sure most connected with hibs are the same, I don't want/need his opinions and couldn't/ never will give a **** what he thinks/says

Didn't read it all as I have concentration issues(alcohol related:wink:) but what I read I agreed with, I think most rational fans will give CC at least a month before we start the booing:greengrin

marinello59
24-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Didn't read it all as I have concentration issues(alcohol related:wink:) but what I read I agreed with, I think most rational fans will give CC at least a month before we start the booing:greengrin

But I miss it.:boo hoo:
(Maybe a wee practice boo at Tannadice next weekend? Booing is like any skill, use it or lose it.:agree:)

Comiston Hibee
24-10-2010, 06:55 PM

What's that saying... "you cannae polish a turd"

CC has inherited a dispirate group; some who want to stay,some who are not good enough to stay; some who want to leave; some that will be offered and accept and some that will be offered say thanks and wait and see if a better deal is made from another club.
My opinion is that as long as we avoid relegation and he is given the ok to clear out, and a decent budget to recrtuit then let's judge him when he has HIS team on the park - and that is coming from someone who bought his season ticket, as well as that of his oap dad and 2 sons, not expecting much of a return this year, but they are cracking seats for the future.
Just get deek offered a decent deal please
#ggtth

calamitus
24-10-2010, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Comiston Hibee;2617091]What's that saying... "you cannae polish a turd"

But you can roll it in glitter.

I think once we see what he can do with the current defence - i.e. can he get it working as a unit - we'll know how many players need to move on/get in, whatever. Once we have a more solid back line, our other players might have the confidence to go and do what they're best at.

BEEJ
24-10-2010, 07:16 PM
with about 30 games still to play and a January transfer window still to come I'd expect us to finish in the top 6 and would be disappointed if we didn't.

Other than Rangers and Celtic no-one in the league is that far ahead of us that I'd consider them out of sight.
IMO 3rd is still a possibility.
Great if it happens. But unrealistic to 'expect' that with the size of the rebuilding job that CC faces.

matty_f
24-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Great if it happens. But unrealistic to 'expect' that with the size of the rebuilding job that CC faces.

:agree:

I have to say that the amount of time CC has to get to know his squad prior to the January window should help him persuade the board to stretch to a few more signings, as he'll know exactly which of the out of contract players will more or less definitely leave the club, and this can be allowed for when looking at the budget he's given.

IMHO, the board have little option but to throw a bit of money (somehow) at it in January, because if we're going to go a season with the current squad we're likely to lose what we'd spend on wages, through not getting a decent league placing pay-out.

Andy74
24-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Amazing in a couple of weeks how this place has changed from the manager being crap to it all now being the players fault! If our players are so bad why have we just sacked a manager?

matty_f
24-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Amazing in a couple of weeks how this place has changed from the manager being crap to it all now being the players fault! If our players are so bad why have we just sacked a manager?

I'll have you know I put it down to a lack of quality in the squad a long, long time ago.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2010, 09:46 PM

:agree: Although he did buy a lot of them.

BEEJ
24-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Reckon we should give CC just a bit more time before casting doubts over his tenure. :greengrin

Latterly Yogi's spell in the hot-seat seemed like an eternity.