22-10-2010, 05:36 PM
very sad news :boo hoo:

CallumLaidlaw
22-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Sad stuff indeed

HibbyAndy
22-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Shame that.

Fantatical support and always a joy to watch at Fratton park when the noise is majestic.

Purehibee_MYB
22-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Really feel for the fans, their club has been mishandled and they have unfairly paid the price

Gatecrasher
22-10-2010, 05:48 PM
very sad, i also have a feeling dundee will be next week :boo hoo:

Hibbyradge
22-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Really feel for the fans, their club has been mishandled and they have unfairly paid the price

Sounds like our economy.

erin-go-bragh87
22-10-2010, 05:52 PM

:agree:

Sad day. Couldnt imagine what It would feel like for the club you love to end.

Wotherspiniesta
22-10-2010, 05:53 PM

Edit- And the bellringer for the east!

sambajustice
22-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Its unfortunate this has happened to Portsmouth but I think its something thats NEEDED to happen. There just isnt money around these days, clubs who live without their means have to start getting pulled up.

This could just be the start. I've felt that it would only take for the plug to be pulled on one semi big club for plugs to be pulled all over the place on all sorts of clubs!

sambajustice
22-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Just watching it on Sky Sports.

It'll not happen. Someone will save them.

Twiglet
22-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Just been on the Portsmouth website (link below) where they're telling the fans about what has happened.
I t looks like it comes down to one person, which is a real shame.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Sacha-Gaydamak-Puts-Future-Of-Portsmouth-In-Jeopardy-1522.aspx

KeithTheHibby
22-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Its unfortunate this has happened to Portsmouth but I think its something thats NEEDED to happen. There just isnt money around these days, clubs who live without their means have to start getting pulled up.

This could just be the start. I've felt that it would only take for the plug to be pulled on one semi big club for plugs to be pulled all over the place on all sorts of clubs!

On a smaller scale it happened to Gretna and seriously nobody gave a flying about them.

As much as I sympathise with any supporter whose team has to go through this it is worth remembering that these supporters were the same people who jumped on the bandwagon when they knew deep down that their club were overspending like there was no tomorrow.

What goes around comes around and all that bollox...

Gus
22-10-2010, 06:21 PM
it did have to happen, shame its pompey though why not Hearts :grr:

Think the FA's fit and proper test for owners is a shambles.

Just listening to the pompey fan on sky sports.

Sergey
22-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Just been on the Portsmouth website (link below) where they're telling the fans about what has happened.
I t looks like it comes down to one person, which is a real shame.

On a smaller scale it happened to Gretna and seriously nobody gave a flying about them.

As much as I sympathise with any supporter whose team has to go through this it is worth remembering that these supporters were the same people who jumped on the bandwagon when they knew deep down that their club were overspending like there was no tomorrow.

The Yams tick all those boxes, too.

PaulSmith
22-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Correct Keith, agree.

It's a sad day though when a player signs a contract worth more than a proud history of a club.

KeithTheHibby
22-10-2010, 06:23 PM
The Yams tick all those boxes, too.

I won't symapathise with that mob though, will be too busy pashing myself.

Gus
22-10-2010, 06:28 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/9118605.stm

this was reported at lunch, surely they knew they couldnt get players to sign contracts

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-10-2010, 06:32 PM
At least the smelly boy with the tats can buy some soap instead of a match ticket now!

Winston Ingram
22-10-2010, 06:37 PM
They aren't in Liquidation. They are 'likely' to go into liquidation. Their game is going ahead tomorrow

Hibee Daz
22-10-2010, 06:46 PM
UEFA and individual FA's need to introduce player wage caps and cap off transfer fees so that clubs learn how to live within their means, surely they have to act in the best interests of their member clubs!

This would also help put an end to million/billionaires using clubs as their play things and then ****ing off when they get bored of them, thus leaving said clubs in the ****!

American football introduced this a while back and it created a more even playing field, as well as creating financial stability. In America agents have for a good while now boosted their players salaries by getting them the best sponsorship deals possible, rather than holding teams to ransom!

I truly feel for the Pompey fans as, the whole Duff/Gray/Mercer debacle :grr: is closest I ever seen our team come to the brink of extinction and I never ever want to see or hear that word in the same sentence as our teams name ever again. The mere thought of makes me feel utterly sick!

(**** the yams though, roll on Tynecastle Towers)

ballengeich
22-10-2010, 06:55 PM
They aren't in Liquidation. They are 'likely' to go into liquidation. Their game is going ahead tomorrow

Yes. It could still happen, but could be a bit of brinksmanship.

Leith_Hibee
22-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I feel quite strongly about this one having lived on the South coast and followed Pompey ever since.

Peter Storie has a lot to answer for, he has been Chief Exec during numerous owners and has allowed the club to spend way beyond their means.

Gaydamak is trying to get his cash, fair enough, but not at the expense of the football club.

Play up Pompey!!

New Corrie
22-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Not going to happen, they will get deducted 2 points or something bollocks like a transfer embargo. About time the prudently run teams started reaping some rewards.

tamig
22-10-2010, 10:15 PM
At least the smelly boy with the tats can buy some soap instead of a match ticket now!

You talking about John Westwood? The guy is a legend. Why do you think he's smelly?

just_joe
22-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Maybe I sound a bit old fashioned Football is not a sport anymore its a business. Its all about money now. Whats it gonna be like in 10-20 years time? How many more clubs is this going to happen too? it truely is a sad time for football when clubs like portsmouth and Dundee are in such troubles. Dundee having a good fan base and history . I feel for the supporters. I fear for football in the future.

ChilliEater
23-10-2010, 12:13 AM
UEFA and individual FA's need to introduce player wage caps and cap off transfer fees so that clubs learn how to live within their means, surely they have to act in the best interests of their member clubs!

This would also help put an end to million/billionaires using clubs as their play things and then ****ing off when they get bored of them, thus leaving said clubs in the ****!

American football introduced this a while back and it created a more even playing field, as well as creating financial stability. In America agents have for a good while now boosted their players salaries by getting them the best sponsorship deals possible, rather than holding teams to ransom!

I truly feel for the Pompey fans as, the whole Duff/Gray/Mercer debacle :grr: is closest I ever seen our team come to the brink of extinction and I never ever want to see or hear that word in the same sentence as our teams name ever again. The mere thought of makes me feel utterly sick!

(**** the yams though, roll on Tynecastle Towers)

And that, IMHO, is exactly why it won't happen. The big clubs have been steadily manufacturing an uneven playing field for years. To my mind it started with the formation of the Champions League, done to protect the big teams from the vagries of the open draw, straight knock-out format of the European Cup. The breaking away of the Premiership in England and the SPL here are other examples (which may have been before the CL, but you get the idea).
It ensures that the big teams hoover up the majority of the income, increase the gap between themselves and the smaller teams and protect their position at the top of the game. To my mind it's just plain wrong and totally anti-sport. If they used their power to protect the game rather than their own club, then, again IMHO, public interest would be higher, gates would be bigger and all clubs would be richer.

latapy10
23-10-2010, 12:31 AM
very sad news :boo hoo:Its sad a was staying in pompey yr 2000 they had been trying to get into premier for yrs and harry got the job and a said to m8 hes the man since he went dwn hill a shame fantastic support just needed right man incharge.so think ourself LUCKY WI ROD

H18sry
23-10-2010, 08:55 AM

You talking about John Westwood? The guy is a legend. Why do you think he's smelly?

John is a very successful businessman owning an antique bookshop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Portsmouth_Football_Club_Westwood

Caversham Green
23-10-2010, 09:07 AM
The statement does look like brinksmanship to me, particularly since they've reined back a wee bit this morning. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/9120575.stm

It's a dangerous game to play and, although I don't have any great regard for Gaydamak, I like to hear his side of the story.

Anyway a wee story about Portsmouth and my local team:

At the start of last season Reading were crying out for a striker and had all but signed Tommy Smith from Watford when, on the day he was due to sign, Portsmouth offered him more money. As Reading were in the last year of their parachute payments, running at a loss and trying to be prudent they couldn't better Pompey's offer. Reading had a dreadful start to the season and were patently needing a striker of Smith's calibre, but after a change of manager they turned it around and finished two points off the play-off places. Goals from Smith at the start of the season would have given them a real chance of promotion, which would have improved the club's fortunes enormously.

Of course it's all ifs and buts, but it illustrates the knock-on effect of clubs like Portsmouth spending money they don't have on more prudent clubs like Reading.

Hibernia Na Eir
23-10-2010, 09:11 AM
cant say i'll lose any sleep over this news.

That Portsmouth fud with the silly clown outfits, daft wigs, tats and the like will need to find summin else to do on a Saturday now though :greengrin

Play up Pompey, Pompey pay up :wink:

Dr Jimmy
23-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Great post Caversham and highlights how these clubs are cheating and the well run honest clubs get shafted. Although until Eufa get a grip on this, these clubs will continue to boom or bust whilst everyone else has to make do with silly things like budgets!
Sorry pompey but you made your bed, fingers crossed it is a club like Man Utd next or better still our illustrious neighbours. That is probably the first time they two clubs have been mentioned in the same sentence..........outside of brokeback of course!

tamig
23-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Its sad a was staying in pompey yr 2000 they had been trying to get into premier for yrs and harry got the job and a said to m8 hes the man since he went dwn hill a shame fantastic support just needed right man incharge.so think ourself LUCKY WI ROD

Mmm. Think you're missing the point a bit. It was 'Arry's overspending - combined with the financial mismanagement - that have got them to where they are now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2010, 09:45 AM
You talking about John Westwood? The guy is a legend. Why do you think he's smelly?I know hes loaded, but, he looks like a paraffin lamp!

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2010, 09:52 AM
John is a very successful businessman owning an antique bookshop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Portsmouth_Football_Club_WestwoodSimon Cowell is successful too, but, it doesnae mean I need to like him either.

H18sry
23-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I know hes loaded, but, he looks like a paraffin lamp!

What he looks like and what he smells like are 2 different things all together.

If we had somebody like him amongst our home support the atmosphere at games would be a lot better.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I never mentioned his aroma, just said he looks like a wash would do him some good.

H18sry
23-10-2010, 10:27 AM

I never mentioned his aroma, just said he looks like a wash would do him some good.

:confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Oops! forgot I had included that! I'll still get a decent nights sleep though I think!

tamig
23-10-2010, 02:52 PM
What he looks like and what he smells like are 2 different things all together.

If we had somebody like him amongst our home support the atmosphere at games would be a lot better.

Agreed. As I said, the guy's a legend. He goes everywhere to support them and is always up for the games. I don't know what hours his bookshop opens but he must be missing a fair bit of the time with mid-week away trips to the north of England. Would love to have a character like him at ER. There's a really good interview on YouTube with the great man.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2010, 03:14 PM
If we had somebody like him amongst our home support the atmosphere at games would be a lot better.Unless he does actually smell! ;-)

Gatecrasher
23-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Looks like their saved according to SSN earlier and out of administration, hope they can do things properly now

latapy10
24-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Mmm. Think you're missing the point a bit. It was 'Arry's overspending - combined with the financial mismanagement - that have got them to where they are now.whos fault was that

sambajustice
24-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Just watching it on Sky Sports.

It'll not happen. Someone will save them.

Told you...

tamig
24-10-2010, 09:00 PM
whos fault was that

The guy was praising Rednapp. I was saying he was a big part of the current problem - along with the various "owners". Storrie has got out of this whole saga lightly imo though as he was there throughout the whole sorry saga. And for £1.5million a year. :bitchy: