PDA

View Full Version : Should Calderwood persist with Zemmama?

Bostonhibby
21-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Great player when he is able to play but missing more often than not due to Ramadan, injury / bad luck.

How long can we have him on the pay roll but not on the pitch?

smurf
21-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't think he will. I'm expecting a style different to one that includes such free spirits.

Skanko79
21-10-2010, 06:25 PM
when the wee felly hits form and gets a good run of games he is worth his weight in gold. should keep him as long as we can.

Bostonhibby
21-10-2010, 06:27 PM
when the wee felly hits form and gets a good run of games he is worth his weight in gold. should keep him as long as we can.

Tends to be how I think as well, but my worry is that we might eventually get him back to his best only for him to move on before we see much benefit, meantime its a wage with not much to show for it on the pitch.

LaMotta
21-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Great player when he is able to play but missing more often than not due to Ramadan, injury / bad luck.

As the only midfielder we have who has proven he has the ability to score goals and provide assists regularly i think he should be a big part of his plans.

dirtydirk
21-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I would go as far as saying that when fit, zemamma is the best player in the league outside the old firm. I think hibs should definatly tie him up on a long term deal if he can get back to form this season.

Skanko79
21-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Tends to be how I think as well, but my worry is that we might eventually get him back to his best only for him to move on before we see much benefit, meantime its a wage with not much to show for it on the pitch.

if he does get back to his best which he will he WILL move on, thats a cert. if we get another good season out of him then a decent fee id be happy enough with that.

Skanko79
21-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Sadly he only weighs 3 pound

ha ha! after/during ramadan!

mim
21-10-2010, 06:33 PM
As far as I know, Zoomer has never been bothered with issues at Ramadan........which did affect Benji. :agree:

Dirkster23
21-10-2010, 06:36 PM

We need him back fit and in the team asap. Only player we've got in midfield that runs at players and can find the killer ball in the final third.

northgreen24
21-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I think we should move him on ASAP he reminds me of boozy, great player on his day but all too infrequent. he has probably played less than half the games during his contact and this is just not good enough especially if you want to build a team with him in it

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 07:08 PM
It wouldnt surprise me if Calderwood never gets the chance to work with Zemamma.

Holmesdale Hibs
21-10-2010, 07:13 PM
As the only midfielder we have who has proven he has the ability to score goals and provide assists regularly i think he should be a big part of his plans.

:agree: we have no other creative players in the squad. Give him a season long deal with appearance incentives.

Duffys13
21-10-2010, 07:26 PM
:agree: we have no other creative players in the squad. Give him a season long deal with appearance incentives.

Agree we have no other creation but can't see him signing a deal like that. He has always been a player that fades as soon as it gets cold and the tackles start flying. Can't see Calderwood relying or hoping for much from him, he will be off soon I think.

Broken Gnome
21-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I'd let him earn the modest wage he's on and take the risk that he'll at least be a bit part player after Xmas. Getting a player of similar ability is way beyond our finances, or you'd have to do a Conway/Swanson and get a player from the lower leagues to develop them.

allmodcons
21-10-2010, 08:05 PM
If CC is any good as a manager he'll have the sense to give EVERYBODY in the squad a chance to prove themselves. That should include Hogg, Nish and Rankin and anyone else the majority of .net posters don't rate.

If he's seen anything of Zemmama, he'll know he's got qualities others don't possess.

From what I'm hearing about CC, he won't be shy in coming to his own conclusions about each and every squad member, important thing is that everybody should be given the opportunity to show what they can or, in some cases, can't do.

I'm confident Zemmama will fall into the 'can do' category.

LancashireHibby
21-10-2010, 08:17 PM
As far as I know, Zoomer has never been bothered with issues at Ramadan........which did affect Benji. :agree:

Thought the same myself - it's just a case of him having a long-term injury during which Ramadan has been and gone, yet people seem to try to find a link between the two.

I agree with the suggestion of Zouma being the best player in the league outside of the Old Firm (I reckon he'd have a fair shot at getting in their team as well if the situation arose) but I think we need to see how well he recovers from injury and how quickly he gets his form back before we consider offering him a contract.

Purehibee_MYB
21-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes.

:thumbsup:

CapitalHibs
21-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Never tire watching this piece of skill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWf3W_m9ueY&feature=related

Purehibee_MYB
21-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Never tire watching this piece of skill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWf3W_m9ueY&feature=related

As soon as I saw a link to Youtube, I knew it would be that

Absolutely majestic!

hibeenicol
21-10-2010, 09:09 PM
If CC is any good as a manager he'll have the sense to give EVERYBODY in the squad a chance to prove themselves. That should include Hogg, Nish and Rankin and anyone else the majority of .net posters don't rate.

If he's seen anything of Zemmama, he'll know he's got qualities others don't possess.

From what I'm hearing about CC, he won't be shy in coming to his own conclusions about each and every squad member, important thing is that everybody should be given the opportunity to show what they can or, in some cases, can't do.

:agree: Everybody in the squad deserves the chance to show their worth to calderwood so hopefully he gives them that chance.

SMAXXA
21-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Im pretty sure that when CC gives everyone a chance to prove themselves in traing, with the squad we have Zuma would stick out like a sore thumb and he would be desperate too keep a player like that. Wether the club would sanction any kinda long term deal is another matter given his history with injury, Sadly tho I think he will leave when his deal is up if not before.

Vini1875
21-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Sorry as skilful as he is we cannot afford a player who plays as few games as the wee man. You can't tell me that there are not as skillful players out there who stay fit for the vast majority of the season.

SMAXXA
21-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Sorry as skilful as he is we cannot afford a player who plays as few games as the wee man. You can't tell me that there are not as skillful players out there who stay fit for the vast majority of the season.

Yes I recon I can, within our wages range anyway

Bostonhibby
21-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Both observe, or observed Ramadan, the club, Collins and Hughes both supported them, at one time any way. Link below

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hughes-keen-to-learn-more.5600775.jp

Kevvy1875
21-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Cant believe this recent upsurge of comments with regards to getting shot of zoomer.

The wee man go injured playing for us, not as if he is a wages thief! He deserve's his chance to shine for Hibs again and every one of you are willing to cast him aside like some kind of lame dog should be ashamed of yourselves IMO.

Cracking wee player and a :agree:joy to watch.

MrRobot
21-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Aye.

Bostonhibby
21-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Cant believe this recent upsurge of comments with regards to getting shot of zoomer.

The wee man go injured playing for us, not as if he is a wages thief! He deserve's his chance to shine for Hibs again and every one of you are willing to cast him aside like some kind of lame dog should be ashamed of yourselves IMO.

:confused: Reading the responses to my question it seems theres as many who want to persist as don't. The post was simply a question to see what views were out there.

Not sure I'd say any of it (so far) is as forceful as "getting shot" or anything like it.

Green&White
21-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Anybody know when he's due back?
Never heard anything about him for a while. I seen him walking outside the east after the killie game and he seemed to be moving very freely ( as freely as walking permits) so is he just coming back to fitness or still not ready for training.????:confused:

steakbake
21-10-2010, 09:49 PM
He's been away/injured/ramadaning for so long, if he doesn't come back i'll find it hard to see how we miss him.

brydekirk
22-10-2010, 12:34 AM

:agree: but not much different to benji, thinking he was going on to bigger and better things. he has no intrest or loyalty to our club, and the few great performances we have seen from him, have not been worth what he got from the club. fact.

delbert
22-10-2010, 02:24 AM
ok tin hat on here, and i know he has produced a few moments of magic in his somewhat limited time at Hibs, but I just think the time with us/games played ratio for Zemmama is utterly ridiculous, he is simply a luxury i think we cannot afford, we need players who are actually going to be around once in a while. Between ramadan, injury, loan spell etc, I think we need more from any players we have on our books at this time, and if Calderwood chooses to replace him, it would'nt surprise me, and I would'nt exactly be chucking myself off the nearest bridge if it did happen. I like what he can do, but is twice a season enough to justify a full time wage??, not for the company i work for, and not for Hibs.

Keith_M
22-10-2010, 07:10 AM
...and yet still they go on about Ramadan :bitchy:

This place is starting to sound a bit like an american ultra-conservative club. AFAIK, Zouma has had NO issues playing during Ramadan. But he's Muslim, so it obviously must be an issue.

FWIW, I've already given up on ever seeing Zouma play for Hibs on any long term basis, but could we stick to the facts behind that please, this isn't Kickback.

M11BMO
22-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Should Calderwood persist with Zemmama?

IMO, Yes. (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?195550-Should-Calderwood-persist-with-Zemmama/page2)

SlickShoes
22-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Try reading the responses before posting it makes you look less stupid.

I would say keep him myself, he is a game changer, and outside of Riordan we dont have anyone else who can produce that bit of magic when needed, would love to see him back think we badly miss him currently!

An Leargaidh
22-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Key Performance Indicator / workplace sickness record / sickness management program...
...some of the daily phrases heard at my work, all of which translate into, "Be at your work when we tell you unless you actually have a leg missing in which case we'll just wait till you can't afford 1/2 rate sick pay and leave anyway." It's time professional footballers had to live like the rest of us. So Mr. Z, unless you can agree to a zero hours contract, i.e. you get paid when you're here and you don't if you're not, then if I was manager I would have to wave you a 'Meri' goodbye. SACKED! :cool2:

basehibby
22-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Zooma is a cracking wee player and I would be perplexed and dismayed if he was not played when fit and available.

If you ask me we should be looking to get him to comit to as long a deal as possible.

Wilson
22-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Zooma is a cracking wee player and I would be perplexed and dismayed if he was not played when fit and available.

If you ask me we should be looking to get him to comit to as long a deal as possible.

Well then we'd be throwing good money after bad for as long as possible.

Zouma's contribution to hibs is becoming as big a myth as the flair football we're supposed to play. If it happens at all it is all too rare. As others have said we can't afford the luxury of a talanted player that never plays.

basehibby
22-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Key Performance Indicator / workplace sickness record / sickness management program...
...some of the daily phrases heard at my work, all of which translate into, "Be at your work when we tell you unless you actually have a leg missing in which case we'll just wait till you can't afford 1/2 rate sick pay and leave anyway." It's time professional footballers had to live like the rest of us. So Mr. Z, unless you can agree to a zero hours contract, i.e. you get paid when you're here and you don't if you're not, then if I was manager I would have to wave you a 'Meri' goodbye. SACKED! :cool2:

What a load of utter gash :bitchy:

As is painfully obvious, getting injured is an occupational hazard for any footballer and more so for talented players like Zemama who often end up being on the receiving end of "industrial" challenges from less talented players/thugs in football strips.

We ask for commitment and dedication from players - fat chance of that under a regime like yours where any injury would see a player's wages cut in two - canny see many players throwing themselves into 50/50 challenges or inviting fouls from the opposition under these conditions! :bye:

basehibby
22-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Well then we'd be throwing good money after bad for as long as possible.

Zouma's contribution to hibs is becoming as big a myth as the flair football we're supposed to play. If it happens at all it is all too rare. As others have said we can't afford the luxury of a talanted player that never plays.

Throwing good money after bad??? So did Hibs have to pay his wages when he was out on loan? I doubt it!
Of course his wages have to be paid while he's out injured but that goes for any player and any player can get injured.
Re Zouma's contribution to Hibs vs the flair football - don't you notice a bit of a pattern emerging here??? ie when Zouma's in the team we are much more likely to SEE flair football.

crash
22-10-2010, 10:24 AM
He's been away/injured/ramadaning for so long, if he doesn't come back i'll find it hard to see how we miss him.

Maybe the fact that we have been gash since he got his (serious)injury. In my opinion he is the best player in the SPL ( best player on the park on our two visits to Ibrox last season). The only player worth paying to watch from an entertainment point of view, in fact the only player in the squad who can dribble past a man. I look forward to the day he graces the green and white again.

basehibby
22-10-2010, 10:25 AM
:agree: but not much different to benji, thinking he was going on to bigger and better things. he has no intrest or loyalty to our club, and the few great performances we have seen from him, have not been worth what he got from the club. fact.

FACT?!?!?!? Unsubstantiated pish more like! :bitchy:

Benji may have shown a lack of commitment on the pitch but his compatriot Zemama has never shown anything other than full commitment to the cause in my experience.

In fact, the gash you are slavering makes me wonder if you've ever been to ER and seen Zemama play for the Hibees - undercover Yam alert??? Hmmmm.......... :crazy::yamlaugh::hmmm:

Edit - maybe you've got too many posts under your belt to have survived as a closet Yam - the CRAZY smilley is entirely apt though (IMO)

Sudds_1
22-10-2010, 10:32 AM

we have one at least.........a guy who can thread the ball through a needle to find his strikers, scores every week, has a sublime left AND right foot, a wicked sidestep and shimmy, scores every time at free kicks from 40 yards out, and is adored by the Hibs fans........

...oh wait, that was me in ma dream last night. :greengrin:wink:

basehibby
22-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Anybody know when he's due back?
Never heard anything about him for a while. I seen him walking outside the east after the killie game and he seemed to be moving very freely ( as freely as walking permits) so is he just coming back to fitness or still not ready for training.????:confused:

As far as I remember, it was predicted that he might get back to playing in November - which seems to fit in pretty well with what you describe.

ClewsHibs
22-10-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHzjde0vgk&feature=related

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ClewsHibs
22-10-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHzjde0vgk&feature=related

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
22-10-2010, 02:01 PM
...and yet still they go on about Ramadan :bitchy:

This place is starting to sound a bit like an american ultra-conservative club. AFAIK, Zouma has had NO issues playing during Ramadan. But he's Muslim, so it obviously must be an issue.

FWIW, I've already given up on ever seeing Zouma play for Hibs on any long term basis, but could we stick to the facts behind that please, this isn't Kickback.

:confused:its actually just about the reasons, whatever they are, why this great talent isn't always available to us, for what its worth Ramadan is, or was relevant to his life see posts above, and link below, if he's injured at the same time its academic.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hughes-keen-to-learn-more.5600775.jp

Phil MaGlass
22-10-2010, 02:12 PM
keep him, if deeks goes then he may well be the only real flair player we will have left. Its not his fault he is injured and cant play,Although i would offer him yearly contracts instead. He is one of the few players you see nowadays that can get you off yir :asshole: and always gives 100%,November cant come quick enough for me.Folk are saying release him and loosen up the cash for someone else, well I will tell you this for nowt, on his wages, theres no way on this planet you will find another player to replace him.

Bostonhibby
22-10-2010, 02:19 PM
keep him, if deeks goes then he may well be the only real flair player we will have left. Its not his fault he is injured and cant play,Although i would offer him yearly contracts instead. He is one of the few players you see nowadays that can get you off yir :asshole: and always gives 100%,November cant come quick enough for me.Folk are saying release him and loosen up the cash for someone else, well I will tell you this for nowt, on his wages, theres no way on this planet you will find another player to replace him.

:agree:

TheBall'sRound
22-10-2010, 02:49 PM
As soon as I saw a link to Youtube, I knew it would be that

Absolutely majestic!

Possibly the last time a Hibs full back made an overlapping run :angelic:

BSEJVT
22-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Imo if the answer is we shoudnt, then we should give up any pretence of being football supporters.

As a sadly now retired and none to gifted lower division amateur player (very lower!) I want to watch guys that can do something I never could.

Riordan & Zemmama are the only 2 at ER who fit that category.

Riordan will go as he deserves one last payday Hibs cant afford.

Zemmama, probably as well.

But, injury prone or not I would rather watch one Zemmama than any number of the luddites we have in the squad at the moment.

Another of Hughes many failings was to get rid of the footballing unpredictability of Benji without any type of replacement.

Riordan excepted we are so easy to anticipate and defend against.

Hurry back wee man

Hibee Daz
22-10-2010, 04:49 PM
If Zouma could stay fit and injury free then it would be a yes for me, as the weeman is absolute class.

But we need to face the facts, because he is so small/lightweight he is always going to feel it when he gets clattered and because of this I think it's impossible to keep him away from the treatment room!
So it's a very sad but realistic no for me.:boo hoo:

There is simply no point in wasting a wage on somebody who is very rarely fit, as a few brilliant games doesn't make up for months on the sidelines.

It's time to stop letting our hearts rule our heads over Zouma IMO.

EasterRoad4Ever
22-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Time for him to go. Nice lad, good player, but hardly kicked a ball for the club in the last 3 years.

Albion Hibs
22-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I would imagine for all he gets paid he is probably worth having around. He can add a bit, but equally is guilty like a few other of disappearing for 90 mins three weeks in a row!

That said I am sure Calderwood would be happy to wait and see what he does over the course of the remaining months on his contract.

Perhaps Zemmama has no interest in staying at Hibs, defiantly worth a wait and see IMO.

(((Fergus)))
23-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Imo if the answer is we shoudnt, then we should give up any pretence of being football supporters.

As a sadly now retired and none to gifted lower division amateur player (very lower!) I want to watch guys that can do something I never could.

Riordan & Zemmama are the only 2 at ER who fit that category.

Riordan will go as he deserves one last payday Hibs cant afford.

Zemmama, probably as well.

But, injury prone or not I would rather watch one Zemmama than any number of the luddites we have in the squad at the moment.

Another of Hughes many failings was to get rid of the footballing unpredictability of Benji without any type of replacement.

Riordan excepted we are so easy to anticipate and defend against.

Hurry back wee man

It's people like Zemmama - and they are a rare commodity as you say - that make Hibs worth bothering about in the first place.

Golden Bear
23-10-2010, 10:10 AM
A fit Zemmama is undoubtedly a prize asset as he is one of the very few players we have who can run with the ball at his feet, and dare I say it, - actually take opponents on and beat them.

The art of dribbling is almost a forgotten skill at ER and I sometimes wonder if coaches/managers now frown at individuality within a team set up

Unfortunately he seems very injury prone but I would like to think that CC will at least give him a chance to prove his worth.

Kevvy1875
23-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Try reading the responses before posting it makes you look less stupid.

I would say keep him myself, he is a game changer, and outside of Riordan we dont have anyone else who can produce that bit of magic when needed, would love to see him back think we badly miss him currently!

Very constructive.

C*ck.

sambajustice
23-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Get rid. He's done nothing for the club.

Nailrod
23-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I say get rid. :bye:

Free up his wage for yet another kack journeyman midfielder who poses zero threat to the opposition. :agree: :thumbsup:

essexhibee
23-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Zouma is utter CLASS. Best player at the club by a country mile, has what nearly the whole league and definitely hibs at least doesnt.. SKILL.

To let him go will signal the end of any class at the club.

Removed
23-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Zouma is utter CLASS. Best player at the club by a country mile, has what nearly the whole league and definitely hibs at least doesnt.. SKILL.

I like him but I wouldn't go that far tbh. He hasn't done it consistently enough imo, whether that be because of the weather, the poor pitches, targeted by opponents, ramadan, injury or some other reason.

Love when he turns it on and wish he was fit just now, but I can't think that he would significantly change our fortunes at the moment if he was playing.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I like him but I wouldn't go that far tbh. He hasn't done it consistently enough imo, whether that be because of the weather, the poor pitches, targeted by opponents, ramadan, injury or some other reason.

Love when he turns it on and wish he was fit just now, but I can't think that he would significantly change our fortunes at the moment if he was playing.

He's probably our most skillful player by a mile. His injury is a bad one, and even when he returns he will be miles short of match fitness. And as always happens with long breaks through injury, you pick up other muscle injuries in training and games. So the original question was should CC persist with him? Zemamma is out of contract in the summer, and will probably play a minimal part if any of this season.

Luna_Asylum
23-10-2010, 08:35 PM

braindead

renato
23-10-2010, 08:43 PM
The second Zouma takes to the field as a subby on his long awaited return, the whole of ER will get a lift. A huge one. In fact, it'll bring excitement, anticipation and a buzz (one that only he or Ivan have generated in the recent past).

He may have suffered a horrific injury and he may be hot and cold on occasion but I think today highlighted exactly what we need and miss on the pitch and, IMO, he gives us a big chunk of that.

His type of player is worth countless hard working huddys (of which we already have plenty at the club). When he comes back in Nov / Dec, the whole place will get a lift and by Christ we bloody well need one.

Removed
23-10-2010, 08:53 PM
He's probably our most skillful player by a mile. His injury is a bad one, and even when he returns he will be miles short of match fitness. And as always happens with long breaks through injury, you pick up other muscle injuries in training and games. So the original question was should CC persist with him? Zemamma is out of contract in the summer, and will probably play a minimal part if any of this season.

Yes

braindead

:top marks :not worth :applause:

Kevvy1875
23-10-2010, 10:01 PM

I salute you!:top marks

Gala Foxes
24-10-2010, 12:56 AM
persist is hardly the right word for a player that we get 3 games out of then he is out for 6 months

Zemamma is superb when on form but sadly is on display as long as the xmas decorations