PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

MrSmith
21-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Being reported by BBC Scotland (Radio) that in an interview Lewis stated that the managerial merry-go-round going on at Easter Road is "farcical". He also states that it should be the players being moved on and not managers.

There is no link on the website to this but listen out for sports report on BBC Radio Scotland after the news bulletins.

Would like to hear a little more on his point of view...

SRHibs
21-10-2010, 02:31 PM
And he himself should be one of the players that is getting moved on.

leithsansiro
21-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Lewis is a good wee player, or rather, he could be. He looked a good prospect under Collins and has suffered from a crisis of confidence. He'll come good, maybe not for us, but for someone. To me, he has a touch of the Hartley's about him, a late blossomer having had early promise.

Hibee_Lisa
21-10-2010, 02:34 PM

:agree:

Gus Fring
21-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I think the Club is in a good position come the end of the season as a result of the contract situation. CC will have had 3/4 of a season to assess the playing staff, if their not pulling their weight or still causing issues, then they'll be punted. He will then hopefully get funds to replace the ones who move on and with his contacts we could end up in a strong position for next season. :thumbsup:

Then again he might get too close to the dressing room, pick his favourites, be given hardly any funds in the transfer windows and have no contacts down south. Im confident its the former

RickyS

I thought he looked like he had put a few pounds on last weekend

Jim44
Maybe this is him starting to work his ticket out of Easter Road. To use words like 'farcical' in relation to the club may breach the club's rules about public statements will not go down well with Petrie. I don't mind him as a player to be honest but he would be no great loss.

Wotherspiniesta
21-10-2010, 02:42 PM
If true, Lewis should keep his mouth shut about the club that pays his wages.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 02:47 PM

:agree: Although he's far from on his own there. I have said it before, Calderwood can get rid of them all bar 3 or 4 for me.

tamig
21-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Lewis is a good wee player, or rather, he could be. He looked a good prospect under Collins and has suffered from a crisis of confidence. He'll come good, maybe not for us, but for someone. To me, he has a touch of the Hartley's about him, a late blossomer having had early promise.

Agreed. With the right mentor - as he had in JC - I think wee Lewis still has a lot to offer.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Agreed. With the right mentor - as he had in JC - I think wee Lewis still has a lot to offer.

I agree a manger can help players to an extent, but in the end its up to each and every player to grab his chance. Joe ****in keenan might be a good player with the right manager. Brian Kerr the same. What if Calderwoods not the right manager for Lewis?

Imho he's not good enough, along with virtually the whole squad. If the future of the club is Lewis Stevenson and players like him, we are truly knackered. Well done for your performance in that cup final, but that was over 3 years ago. You can only live off that for so long.

SRHibs
21-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Mark Brown, Derek Riordan, Paul Hanlon, Sol Bamba, Merouane Zemmama, Liam Miller.

IMO these are the only members of our current squad who should be good enough to get into the Hibs 1st team.
Wouldn't necessarily want the rest punted, but they'd be back-up at best for me.

Golden Bear
21-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Why now Lewis ? - it's not exactly the most diplomatic thing to say now that the new Manager is in place.

Methinks you could be peeling tatties at east Mains for the forseeable future.:wink:

And by the way there has also been more than a fair turnover in the playing staff over the last few years in case you hadn't noticed.

greenlex
21-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Had he listened to Mikey and backed Clarke too?

truehibernian
21-10-2010, 04:39 PM
An intelligent young player, more versatile than Rankin, better passer, equally as fit, and a very good squad player to have around the place. He has barely been given a chance, or given a decent run in the side this last year to be truly appraised IMHO.

Maybe the interview is lost in translation and he is (hopefully) saying that the players have to look at themselves and where they really want to be footballing wise and how much they have really contributed to the side. He is far far too intelligent off the pitch to just slate the "manager merry-go-round".........if he is also having a dig at the players, including himself, then I agree with him. Everyone is/was responsible for the terrible form and run of results.

Terrible, terrible dress sense though. Get it sorted young man :greengrin

JCHibby
21-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Being reported by BBC Scotland (Radio) that in an interview Lewis stated that the managerial merry-go-round going on at Easter Road is "farcical". He also states that it should be the players being moved on and not managers.

There is no link on the website to this but listen out for sports report on BBC Radio Scotland after the news bulletins.

Would like to hear a little more on his point of view...

To be fait to Lewis he is probably right on the money on this one, an honest assessment to state that maybe some are not pulling their weight. CC will sort that out I would think however.

HibbyAndy
21-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Id love to see Wee Lewis recapture that form that got him MOTM at Hampden in that 5-1 game, Was looking at a player with the world at his feet and felt 10 foot tall for him.

RIP
21-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I must admit if Calderwood can get us consistent I'd be very very happy.

It will rid me of the nagging worry that it's the combination of senior management and player culture at Easter Road that's actually been holding us back - not the trainer/coach.

Lewis is on his fourth manager in 3 years. Sounds like he thinks there's a bit more to it than merely sacking the guy in the dug-out

Broken Gnome
21-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Genuine question, has Lewis Stevenson ever set up a goal for Hibs, let alone score one?

HibbyAndy
21-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Genuine question, has Lewis Stevenson ever set up a goal for Hibs, let alone score one?

Scored his only goal in a 4-0 win at Dunfy in July IIRC

(Pre season tho).

Should have won a stonewall penalty against the yams at Easter rd too

Dirkster23
21-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Have to agree, hasn't developed over the last few years. IMO a first division player at best.

southern hibby
21-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Gents,
Corect me if I'm wrong but in the cup final he played LEFT MIDFIELD and was MOTM. How often since have we had him in that position. I except and appreciate he has done nothing since but maybe he feels he has not been given a fair crack at the whip. I would give him about 10 games in that position and let him show if the cup final was a one off or if he should have the Jersey for Left Midfield.
I also think he should think before he says something to the papers because if he does not his career at Easter Road may be very short lived.

silverhibee
21-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Had he listened to Mikey and backed Clarke too?

:tee hee:

ancienthibby
21-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Here's the story!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9115841.stm

Dashing Bob S
21-10-2010, 05:37 PM
An intelligent young player, more versatile than Rankin, better passer, equally as fit, and a very good squad player to have around the place. He has barely been given a chance, or given a decent run in the side this last year to be truly appraised IMHO.

Maybe the interview is lost in translation and he is (hopefully) saying that the players have to look at themselves and where they really want to be footballing wise and how much they have really contributed to the side. He is far far too intelligent off the pitch to just slate the "manager merry-go-round".........if he is also having a dig at the players, including himself, then I agree with him. Everyone is/was responsible for the terrible form and run of results.

Enough said, in my view. I can excuse bad performances on the park, but players have enough money to be able to afford the purchase of decent attire, and enough time to research the basics in terms of acceptable dress. At a club like Hibs, the emphasis always has to be on style, and those who don't cut it, in either in the dressing room OR the stands, are welcome to leave, in my opinion.

Uberfan debate?

Unashamedly so.

California-Hibs
21-10-2010, 05:38 PM
sorry, but Lewis Stevenson is absolute GUFF! He is so technically poor it makes me cringe watching him! The amount of times he just passes it along the back line (Saturday was a great example). He just does not have it at all, and im sick of hearing about that Cup Final performance, he bloody lives off that! Brain Kerr had a cracking game when he scored that goal at Tynecastle, but he was still rubbish in the majority of games he played in.
We should be looking at a MUCH higher standard of player than Lewis Stevenson, who is a first division player! He isnt alone on these points though, see also Rankin, Nish etc. Too many players in our squad that just arent good enough. I agree with the players mention who i'd like to see stay, and thats - Derek Riordan, Liam Miller, sol Bamba, Zemmama, Hanlon and Mark Brown.

HFC 0-7
21-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I think the Club is in a good position come the end of the season as a result of the contract situation. CC will have had 3/4 of a season to assess the playing staff, if their not pulling their weight or still causing issues, then they'll be punted. He will then hopefully get funds to replace the ones who move on and with his contacts we could end up in a strong position for next season. :thumbsup:

Then again he might get too close to the dressing room, pick his favourites, be given hardly any funds in the transfer windows and have no contacts down south. Im confident its the former

Personally, i think the club is in a bad situation regarding the contracts. Come January time, if they havent signed extentions their agents will be trying to get deals anywhere. We could end up with the majority of the squad signing pre contracts away from ER and then would they really try their hardest with us.

Added to this could be the fact that we could be forced into having to find 10-15 players in the January and Summer transfer window. This may seem a good thing but as Hibs wont be splashing the cash we will probably be looking for 10-15 out of contract or very cheap players. How will the fans view Calderwood replacing current players with players of the same level?

Holmesdale Hibs
21-10-2010, 05:48 PM

That's my thoughts as well although thought he had a good game on Saturday, especially given he's not played for a while

HibeePaj
21-10-2010, 05:51 PM

So you agree with the guy then???

Lang Toun Hibs
21-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Have to agree, hasn't developed over the last few years. IMO a first division player at best.

Hasn't been given a chance!

Lang Toun Hibs
21-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Correct!

California-Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Lewis Stevenson has played 74 times for Hibs! And has came off the bench 21 times! Hasn't been given a chance my arse! Thats the biggest myth going!!

Hibee_Lisa
21-10-2010, 06:04 PM
May sound harsh but I really hope his contract is not extended. I cannot see what he offers our first team, doesn't look comfortable at left back so easily beaten and I am not sure what role he plays as a midfielder, he doesn't defensively do very well nor does he do the killer pass to strikers etc.

California-Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:06 PM
May sound harsh but I really hope his contract is not extended. I cannot see what he offers our first team, doesn't look comfortable at left back so easily beaten and I am not sure what role he plays as a midfielder, he doesn't defensively do very well nor does he do the killer pass to strikers etc.

Exactly! :top marks Folk are having a laugh if they think otherwise!

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Mark Brown, Derek Riordan, Paul Hanlon, Sol Bamba, Merouane Zemmama, Liam Miller.

IMO these are the only members of our current squad who should be good enough to get into the Hibs 1st team.
Wouldn't necessarily want the rest punted, but they'd be back-up at best for me.

Would agree with most of the above being our better players, would add Murray and Hart to that. There are probably a couple more in and around the edges, and on the basis Bamba has come out and said he wants away I would probably just take him out.

With regards to Lewis I thought he did okay last week, dont think he can play LB, his pace and more significantly strengh got shown up a bit last week and a few may choose to play on that. I would give him a shot at LM with Murray playing behind him.

As for his comments in relation to the management situation being a farce, I would agree with that. However, we have a new manager so lets hope this is the begining of the end in respect of the managerial merry go round.

Hibs90
21-10-2010, 06:08 PM
If he can get back to the form he had under JC then aye, keep him, if not let him go.

chrisski33
21-10-2010, 06:12 PM
cheerio lewis! seriously, players shud keep their mouths shut and let their feet do the talking on the football pitch!
stevenson hasnt progressed at hibs in the last 3 yrs and i think he senses that he is one of the players who will be let go at the summer and I dont think he will be missed.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Lewis Stevenson has played 74 times for Hibs! And has came off the bench 21 times! Hasn't been given a chance my arse! Thats the biggest myth going!!

He's just not good enough, as you say he's had his chance. Of those 74 starts and 21 sub appearances, just how many times has he played that well you wanted him to start the following week? When you think of our first 11 players, imho he's nowhere near it. And when he has to come in, again imho it weakens the team. And thats a sad thing, considering just how week we are at this time.

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Over how many seasons is the above based? His best season was under JC when we won the cup when he looked like a good player for us, other than that cant remember him getting a real run.

He did play last week for the first time in forever and a day and we won!

stokesmessiah
21-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Over how many seasons is the above based? His best season was under JC when we won the cup when he looked like a good player for us, other than that cant remember him getting a real run.

He did play last week for the first time in forever and a day and we won!

Surely you should be asking yourself why he is not getting a run? :confused:

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Surely you should be asking yourself why he is not getting a run? :confused:

Not really I asked how many seasons that was over.

stokesmessiah
21-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Not really I asked how many seasons that was over.

Point is clearly escaping you !

jdships
21-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Id love to see Wee Lewis recapture that form that got him MOTM at Hampden in that 5-1 game, Was looking at a player with the world at his feet and felt 10 foot tall for him.

:thumbsup:
Lewis and a lot of the younger lads are on their fourth manager in 3 years..
Is that conducive to furthering your career ?
Think if your own workplaces had hsd four managers in three years : would you not be getting a bit p....d off ?
Football club dressing rooms are a one off , almost unique in fact, places to work .
Where else would you see assembled such a diversity of temperments, intelligence levels, skills , ability and dedication to succeed as there ?
No manager ,even Sir Alex, will ever get it 100% right - that's the nature if the "beast's" he is working with..
Surely Lewis's quote of " ....four managers in three years " is correct .
I for one agree totally with him and to those who criticise him - ask yourself one simple question .
Are you happy with four mangers in three years ?
If you answer no then you agree with the lad - end of
Look at any club that is highly successful and you will find the main ingredient in that success is a long term manager - FACT

Alfred E Newman
21-10-2010, 06:33 PM
sorry, but Lewis Stevenson is absolute GUFF! He is so technically poor it makes me cringe watching him! The amount of times he just passes it along the back line (Saturday was a great example). He just does not have it at all, and im sick of hearing about that Cup Final performance, he bloody lives off that! Brain Kerr had a cracking game when he scored that goal at Tynecastle, but he was still rubbish in the majority of games he played in.
We should be looking at a MUCH higher standard of player than Lewis Stevenson, who is a first division player! He isnt alone on these points though, see also Rankin, Nish etc. Too many players in our squad that just arent good enough. I agree with the players mention who i'd like to see stay, and thats - Derek Riordan, Liam Miller, sol Bamba, Zemmama, Hanlon and Mark Brown.

There is no doubt Lewis always puts in an honest shift but unfortunately he is just a very ordinary one paced player like too many others at the club.

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Point is clearly escaping you !

Not really, I asked a question to the guy who was good enough to supply the initial information - you replyed with a question when I was looking for an answer, so I think you are missing the point.

Dirkster23
21-10-2010, 06:48 PM

As someone else has already said, he's played 74 games and made 21 sub appearances over 4 seasons. I'd say that was a decent number of games.

I guess we'll see where he's playing next season.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 06:49 PM
There is no doubt Lewis always puts in an honest shift but unfortunately he is just a very ordinary one paced player like too many others at the club.

:agree: Good players play for Hibs, we dont have many. The rest just take it in turns, none seem capable of grasping their chance. Lewis has had 4 years to take his, he is one paced, he is very ordinary, and even under Collins was poor. Name me a good game he's had apart from the cup final?

stokesmessiah
21-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Not really, I asked a question to the guy who was good enough to supply the initial information - you replyed with a question when I was looking for an answer, so I think you are missing the point.

Not quite sure why your getting your panties in such a bunch, i was just making the point that there is a reason he has not had a run !

Settle petal.

Dirkster23
21-10-2010, 06:55 PM
:thumbsup:
Lewis and a lot of the younger lads are on their fourth manager in 3 years..
Is that conducive to furthering your career ?
Think if your own workplaces had hsd four managers in three years : would you not be getting a bit p....d off ?
Football club dressing rooms are a one off , almost unique in fact, places to work .
Where else would you see assembled such a diversity of temperments, intelligence levels, skills , ability and dedication to succeed as there ?
No manager ,even Sir Alex, will ever get it 100% right - that's the nature if the "beast's" he is working with..
Surely Lewis's quote of " ....four managers in three years " is correct .
I for one agree totally with him and to those who criticise him - ask yourself one simple question .
Are you happy with four mangers in three years ?
If you answer no then you agree with the lad - end of
Look at any club that is highly successful and you will find the main ingredient in that success is a long term manager - FACT

The vast majority, if not all your points apply to most peoples work. Managers and colleagues come and go, but you still have to get on with the work. People go through restructures and mergers AND get paid a lot less than Lewis!

HibeePaj
21-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Correct,

if i remember correctly alot of the hibs support were excitied by the talent shown by the guy, a 'youngster' in the 06/07 season especially, since Collins has left he hasnt been given a 'fair' chance in my opinion.

Definately will have taken a knock in confidence over the last few years, however dont think he has lost his potential.

GG

Broken Gnome
21-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Which was so evident on Saturday - our left side was Stevenson and Rankin; both limited players, tidy at best. Not going to beat a man, their usual inclination is to look for safety rather than drive on. Not enough room in the squad for multiple players like that, in fact Rankin's probably the better player as he's chipped in with the odd goal or assist and looked far fitter than Stevenson. Sadly Lewis hasn't ever done enough to a Hibs shirt to prove he could make a difference in a game or be a match winner. He doesn't have a specific role, and there's ample scope for better versatile players to take his place.

That said, the 'farcical' comment could well just be a throwaway one, even said with a laugh, that's just been highlighted as the main selling point of the article. He's not said a great deal wrong, and isn't exactly the type to kick up a fuss. Especially with a new manager in place.

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Which was so evident on Saturday - our left side was Stevenson and Rankin; both limited players, tidy at best. Not going to beat a man, their usual inclination is to look for safety rather than drive on. Not enough room in the squad for multiple players like that, in fact Rankin's probably the better player as he's chipped in with the odd goal or assist and looked far fitter than Stevenson. Sadly Lewis hasn't ever done enough to a Hibs shirt to prove he could make a difference in a game or be a match winner. He doesn't have a specific role, and there's ample scope for better versatile players to take his place.

That said, the 'farcical' comment could well just be a throwaway one, even said with a laugh, that's just been highlighted as the main selling point of the article. He's not said a great deal wrong, and isn't exactly the type to kick up a fuss. Especially with a new manager in place.

I thought he did alright when he tried to get forward on saturday, one specific decent run in the first half with a cross into the box. I think he would be better playing on the left of the midfield as lacks a bit of strength for defending as a left back. In fairness to him I dont think there was a ot of opportunity for him to get forward.

Saturday will be interesting with Murray fit and the logical choice as left back, will Calderwood change a team that won last week? The addition of him into the squad turned us from a team that had produced disappointing draws, and even more disappointing loses.

Broken Gnome
21-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I thought he did alright when he tried to get forward on saturday, one specific decent run in the first half with a cross into the box. I think he would be better playing on the left of the midfield as lacks a bit of strength for defending as a left back. In fairness to him I dont think there was a ot of opportunity for him to get forward.

Saturday will be interesting with Murray fit and the logical choice as left back, will Calderwood change a team that won last week? The addition of him into the squad turned us from a team that had produced disappointing draws, and even more disappointing loses.

That's the thing though, for what purpose? He's not creative or quick, nor particularly skillful. He can play left back, left midfield or centre midfield, yet would be 4th choice at best in each position.

California-Hibs
21-10-2010, 07:29 PM
He's just not good enough, as you say he's had his chance. Of those 74 starts and 21 sub appearances, just how many times has he played that well you wanted him to start the following week? When you think of our first 11 players, imho he's nowhere near it. And when he has to come in, again imho it weakens the team. And thats a sad thing, considering just how week we are at this time.

Agree with you 100% mate :agree:

truehibernian
21-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I think have all got to remember that when Lewis broke through, and did well, he had a very skilful and industrious midfield trio alongside him. Brown and Thomson were skilfull, but also added drive and grit. Boozy added class and allowed space with his terrific touch. Lewis could come in and enjoy his football because the other three had different qualities and they shared the burden.

Under Mixu, the Hibs midfield was nearly always missed out due to the direct approach and playing 4-3-3 with Nish/Riordan/Fletcher. There was no where near the same balance, and as such, games passed all the midfield by at times.

Under Hughes, Lewis rarely ever got a look in.

Get a balanced side, and one where we have midfielders who have slightly different attributes, Lewis will be a player again IMHO. Miller and McBride play the same game at times, and they seem to be the only constants. The others are filtered into the midfield willy-nilly. (Rankin, Lewis, Galbraith, Cregg, Riordan, Stevenson, Benji :bitchy:, Zemmama).

Have a settled side, one with balance, and quite a few "fringe" players could have a lot to offer under the new manager.

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 07:31 PM
That's the thing though, for what purpose? He's not creative or quick, nor particularly skillful. He can play left back, left midfield or centre midfield, yet would be 4th choice at best in each position.

I think that just means his best position is not left back, I dont think he would be 4th choice for a left midfield slot. Would not have said he is any slower than wotherspoon, and his delivery can be decent.

Saturday as I say will be interesting, whilst I think Murray should come back in at left back I dont see Calderwood changing it, so another chance for stevenson to impress / do something.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 07:32 PM

:agree: We all say we want Hibs to get better, yet some don't want to lose those very players that will never take us forward. :confused:

truehibernian
21-10-2010, 07:41 PM
:agree: We all say we want Hibs to get better, yet some don't want to lose those very players that will never take us forward. :confused:

100% agree BH, however I think Lewis has far more in his locker than John Rankin to be brutally honest. Plus he has never been given the same kind of chance Ranks has had under the previous two managers.

For me, to drive forward, I would rather lose Hogg, Bamba (for the unrest), Nish, Rankin, McBride, Smith and Stack.

We have good young talent coming through, and Hughes did aquire a couple of really decent players. Stephens is more than adequate replacement for Hogg, the two keepers are on top whack and don't play for a number of reasons (injury and form), Nish for me has had his chance and isn't good enough for the tasks he is given. Currie and Welsh could easily take the place of McBride.

I think I am one of the few who actually rate Thicot as well (:bitchy: yes I know), and I think he could be a good squad player given his versatility, height and fitness compared to others. Hughes getting rid of Benji, for me, was madness as well.

We also need to keep the mercurial talents of Riordan and Zemmama, perhaps also looking this window at bringing in a new playmaker as well.

IWasThere2016
21-10-2010, 07:47 PM
In his fourth season - nearly 100 games thus plenty of oppourtunities to establish himself.

We need to improve the squad soon - retaining players like Lewis (sorry lad!) ain't going to make that happen IMHO

Brads Laing
21-10-2010, 07:56 PM
What about Colin Nish?:greengrin

jdships
21-10-2010, 09:11 PM
The vast majority, if not all your points apply to most peoples work. Managers and colleagues come and go, but you still have to get on with the work. People go through restructures and mergers AND get paid a lot less than Lewis!

I take it from your post you are quite happy with four managers in three years at ER ?
You must have worked in some odd places if your managers shanged as iften as that :greengrin

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 09:28 PM

I am not saying that. But certain people on here seem to think we can solve in the same way we sort manager issue i.e. just sack them and get another one in.

We are not going to be able to do anything substantial to our playing staff until the summer. Therefore why not use these players until then?

The reality is that Stevenson came in from months in the stand and the bench and played on saturday in a team that won, something we have not done at home for a long time. Enough people on here were keen enough to moan about our home record before, but dont seem to be equally as complimentary to the team that just put that right.

It would seem that from stevenson and similar players views that you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont. For the abuse criticism he is getting on here he would probably be better sitting on the bench taking a wage and not having to put up with the grief - then we moan when we think a player looks short of confidence.

He has shown good loyalty over his time at hibs, i am sure he could have gone on loan or maybe left the club, but he didnt, he waited to get his chance and I think he took it on saturday. Maybe we should show the same level of loyalty and support to the players that we expect them to show to us and the club.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I am not saying that. But certain people on here seem to think we can solve in the same way we sort manager issue i.e. just sack them and get another one in.

We are not going to be able to do anything substantial to our playing staff until the summer. Therefore why not use these players until then?

The reality is that Stevenson came in from months in the stand and the bench and played on saturday in a team that won, something we have not done at home for a long time. Enough people on here were keen enough to moan about our home record before, but dont seem to be equally as complimentary to the team that just put that right.

It would seem that from stevenson and similar players views that you are dammed if you do and dammed if you dont. For the abuse criticism he is getting on here he would probably be better sitting on the bench taking a wage and not having to put up with the grief - then we moan when we think a player looks short of confidence.

He has shown good loyalty over his time at hibs, i am sure he could have gone on loan or maybe left the club, but he didnt, he waited to get his chance and I think he took it on saturday. Maybe we should show the same level of loyalty and support to the players that we expect them to show to us and the club.

I cant disagree with any of that if i personally thought there was more to come from Stevenson, or indeed a few others. I just dont think he's got anything we need. I dont think he's very good, i dont think he will get better, and i dont think if we are to improve its with the likes of him. Of course he and other poor players might play a few games from now until the end of the season, we dont have anything else bar these players.

Dirkster23
21-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I take it from your post you are quite happy with four managers in three years at ER ?
You must have worked in some odd places if your managers shanged as iften as that :greengrin

No, i'm not happy about the number of managers we've had in the last 3 years, but these things happen. Hopefully CC will be here for at least the duration of his contract.

Not really, just something most people have to deal with at work these days :agree:

GreenPJ
21-10-2010, 10:18 PM
According to official site 9 appearances last season of which 5 were sub and one start this season? Hardly a lot over a season and a quarter.

I think he has suffered from a lack of confidence a lot of movement in position (LB, LM, CM) and he is still only 22. On top of that there is very limited scope to stay match fit in the fiasco that is the SPL if you aren't playing.

Whilst I would love a squad of great players we are Hibs and we play in the SPL and that means you are never going to be able to maintain a squad of great players (some would be a bonus). He deserves a run to prove himself one way or another.

As for the one pace comments that is what Ian Murray used to be accused of and everyone was devastated when he left and delighted when he came back.

tooley
21-10-2010, 10:45 PM

delbert
22-10-2010, 02:36 AM
So lewis thinks the managerial situation is 'farcical' does he? Well i happen to think that the situation that lewis and some of his fellow pro's have gotten us into at present is also 'farcical', and I will be more than happy if calderwood decides to move on Lewis, and quite a number of his cohorts in the January window, as their performances in the last 8 or 9 months deserve little else, Hughes had his oft discussed limitations, but when players can't pass a ball 10 yards, or fail to develop over a period of 3 years, then move them on, they are taking the club nowhere. Perhaps if he put as much effort into performances on the pitch as he did into his off the field interviews, he'd have been a better player (and he's not alone on that score).

Skanko79
22-10-2010, 06:17 AM
I think he is right. Five managers in five years is a joke. He is spot on saying the players are to blame as well as the gaffer, dont think there is anything wrong at all in what he is saying.

He is a decent enough player i think as well, never a left back though.

GreenPJ
22-10-2010, 07:33 AM
So lewis thinks the managerial situation is 'farcical' does he? Well i happen to think that the situation that lewis and some of his fellow pro's have gotten us into at present is also 'farcical', and I will be more than happy if calderwood decides to move on Lewis, and quite a number of his cohorts in the January window, as their performances in the last 8 or 9 months deserve little else, Hughes had his oft discussed limitations, but when players can't pass a ball 10 yards, or fail to develop over a period of 3 years, then move them on, they are taking the club nowhere. Perhaps if he put as much effort into performances on the pitch as he did into his off the field interviews, he'd have been a better player (and he's not alone on that score).

Lewis admits that its the players that should be looking at themselves rather than the merry-go round of managers. As for the last 8 or 9 months then Lewis has started no more than 4 games. He was asked by the club to do the interview, would you rather he sat there and said nothing. :bitchy:

WindyMiller
22-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Perhaps listening to the interview on the Beeb might show you that the lad is probably right in what he says. He also states that the players might be the ones that need sacked.

RIP
22-10-2010, 08:44 AM
The guy is bang on the money when he says 5 coaches in 5 years is "a bit farcical"

It is "a bit farcical". Not only has it been the revolving door for coaches - it's also been the revolving door for players and player contracts

We slagged off Vlad for his short-termist "hire and fire" approach but how different is Petrie, however laudible the reasons?

Squads, training methods, playing styles and tactics that change every year.

How do you build continuity, team spirit, a settled group of guys who have a strong understanding with each other in that world?

The answer is of course that you don't

James70
22-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't think he was meaning to be critical of the club, I just think he meant that the whole situation in general was farcical. He could have chosen his words more carefully possibly but he is still just a young lad who has been put in front of a bunch of reporters not knowing what they were going to ask him. Hasn't really been given much of a chance in recent months with not being one of the manager's so called favourites and I can think of several players who need to be moved on before him.

Craig_in_Prague
22-10-2010, 09:05 AM
The guy is bang on the money when he says 5 coaches in 5 years is "a bit farcical"

It is "a bit farcical". Not only has it been the revolving door for coaches - it's also been the revolving door for players and player contracts

We slagged off Vlad for his short-termist "hire and fire" approach but how different is Petrie, however laudible the reasons?

Squads, training methods, playing styles and tactics that change every year.

How do you build continuity, team spirit, a settled group of guys who have a strong understanding with each other in that world?

The answer is of course that you don't

Although fan power plays a part in the merry-go-round at Hibs, the fans showing their obvious discontent under Mixu and Hughes most certainly contributed to the 'mutual consent' departures.
It seems the fans are demanding top 4 or 5 finish and with a bit style.

Expectations should be slapped in the face, CC also might be the thick skinned manager we need to just get on with the job in hand and work hard behind the scenes at the club and professionally go about getting things improved. Hughes probably wanted to do this so badly... but just wasn't up to it, CC has better experience and lets hope he is the right man to finally get more stability and continuity at the club....
just don't think only the board and players should take a look at themselves... but the fans too.

Golden Bear
22-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Although fan power plays a part in the merry-go-round at Hibs, the fans showing their obvious discontent under Mixu and Hughes most certainly contributed to the 'mutual consent' departures.
It seems the fans are demanding top 4 or 5 finish and with a bit style.

Expectations should be slapped in the face, CC also might be the thick skinned manager we need to just get on with the job in hand and work hard behind the scenes at the club and professionally go about getting things improved. Hughes probably wanted to do this so badly... but just wasn't up to it, CC has better experience and lets hope he is the right man to finally get more stability and continuity at the club....
just don't think only the board and players should take a look at themselves... but the fans too.

Although being charitable when the chips are down is not always easy.

AndersonGGTTH
22-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Wotherspoon?????:confused:

ShanksSaidNo
22-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Based on your rant at the start of your post regarding Stevenson and having more bad games than good games - i can't understand why you would say Zemmama should be kept on. Fed up of hearing about 'Zemmama the saviiour' - why does he get given such an easy ride!!! He hardly ever plays!
I agree with the rest of the players you think should be kept on and the team built around although my one addition to that list would be Wotherspoon instead of Zemmama.

ShanksSaidNo
22-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I think his comments have been taken out of context in some quarters.. The idea of having 5 managers in 5 years is farsical is what he has said. Can't disagree there - in any line of work this would be the case. At no point does he point the finger at Rod or anyone else and say what you are doing at this club is a farse! Regardless of his age Lewis is one of our most senior players now, he's been there and done it under Mowbray, Collins, Mixu and Yogi so i think he has every right to have an opinion on the situation. He's a clever lad and wouldnt come out and say something that he thought would get Rod or CC's back up - to be perfectly honest i think he's merely saying what all us supporters are thinking! We need stability.

500miles
22-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Lewis is basically saying that he and the players need to take more responsibility for what has gone on with JC, Mixu and Yogi. That's his bottom line, and he's still getting a hard time for being hones and taking responsibilty.

FWIW, I though that the back four took 20-30 minutes to settle against Killie - Hogg, a centre half at right back, who had been out for 5 or 6 weeks.
Bamba, the only regular centre half
Hanlon, promising young centre half, doesn't get a regular game at CH, often at LB
Stevenson - Out of the first team for a long time, most of his first team appearances being at LM or CM.

So any time taken for the back four to settle was understandable. I liked how Stevenson challanged while mostly staying on his feet, ran with the ball, made supporting runs and his passing was accurate, on the whole. He merited a shot at Aberdeen tomorrow.

Dirkster23
22-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I liked how Stevenson challanged while mostly staying on his feet, ran with the ball, made supporting runs and his passing was accurate, on the whole. He merited a shot at Aberdeen tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree with that 500 miles. It was clear the fullbacks had been told to get into advanced positions on Saturday. To me, Lewis took up the right position but didn't look as if he wanted the ball. As soon as he reached the half way line he looked to play it back to Hanlon or waited for the short square ball to Miller or McBride.

Defensively i thought he was poor too. His lack of pace was obvious at times and i lost count of the number of times he managed to get himself on the wrong side of the winger. Personally i'd have Hanlon or Grounds at LB before Stevenson on Saturday.

Shrekko
22-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I Have to disagree with that 500 miles. It was clear the fullbacks had been told to get into advanced positions on Saturday. To me, Lewis took up the right position but didn't look as if he wanted the ball. As soon as he reached the half way line he looked to play it back to Hanlon or waited for the short square ball to Miller or McBride.

Defensively i thought he was poor too. His lack of pace was obvious at times and i lost count of the number of times he managed to get himself on the wrong side of the winger. Personally i'd have Hanlon or Grounds at LB before Stevenson on Saturday.

I find it embarrassing the way some folk go on about Stevenson. Some of the things I read about how good he is/can be... dunno whether to laugh or cry. The one about him being the next Paul Hartley-jeezo!!

He's just one of those players that people just have a blind spot for- he's like the polar opposite of Rankin and Nish where people only mention their shortcomings but conveniently miss their positive contributions (I'm not saying I'd have them in the team btw).

He's played around 100 games in 4 years and there's still folk saying he just needs a run of games and that he's being mucked about!

It's players of his ilk that will have this club going nowhere, yet even folk who know fine well that's the case wont say it or apologise for saying it because 'he seems like a nice lad'.

Not SPL class (and that's saying something these days!) and should be nowhere near the Hibs first team. Must be the only player in Hibs history who's lived off having a 7/10 games against Killie for years after.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I find it embarrassing the way some folk go on about Stevenson. Some of the things I read about how good he is/can be... dunno whether to laugh or cry. The one about him being the next Paul Hartley-jeezo!!

He's just one of those players that people just have a blind spot for- he's like the polar opposite of Rankin and Nish where people only mention their shortcomings but conveniently miss their positive contributions (I'm not saying I'd have them in the team btw).

He's played around 100 games in 4 years and there's still folk saying he just needs a run of games and that he's being mucked about!

It's players of his ilk that will have this club going nowhere, yet even folk who know fine well that's the case wont say it or apologise for saying it because 'he seems like a nice lad'.

Not SPL class (and that's saying something these days!) and should be nowhere near the Hibs first team. Must be the only player in Hibs history who's lived off having a 7/10 games against Killie for years after.

Correct. :agree:

--------
22-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Here's the story!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9115841.stm

"It's getting almost farcical" is NOT the same as "describing the situation as farcical", IMO.

The headline centres on one point out of a fairly long interview; IMO Lewis makes a lot of decent points and seems to me to be well aware that he as well as others will have to impress CC quickly if they're to be offered new contracts - which as far as I can see, is what he would like to happen. A journo picking on a headline-maker rather than on the general tenor of what the laddie said.

I don't think that this is a matter for 'disciplinary action', more a quiet word to him to be more careful what he says in the presence of journos.

Asfar as the future goes, Lewis really isn't a full-back; he came in as a really prmising left-sided midfielder, a position he's hardly played in since Collins left. I think he IS a better player than John Rankin; he may ot play the defence-splitting pass to set up the winning goal, but he generally finds his own player and (at least under JC) worked like a Trojan to win the ball and close down opponents. He surely needs matches to sharpen up, but maybe CC will give him his chance. I'd really like to see him fulfill his early promise at ER rather than somewhere else, and I think he has it in him to do so.

Dinkydoo
22-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Stevenson hasn't really been given much of chance to add to his show of promise after the CIS cup final vs Killie IMO.

I'd like to see him given a 3 - 4 match run at left midfield and see what he produces before making a decision on whether he is or isn't "Hibs class" tbh.

I agree with his comments (if that is what he said and it's not been lost in transition, as another poster has said) but it's probably not going to make himself very popular with his team mates and Mr Petrie - which if he's wanting game time isn't the best way to push into the starting 11.

It's a bit of a strange one.

Edit: didn't see the article posted - I'll have a read myself : )

GreenPJ
22-10-2010, 12:29 PM

You criticise people for only seeing the negatives in Nish and Rankin (and I agree with you) but then you fail to take into consideration that this laddie (22) has played 9 games (5 of which were subs) in the last season and a quarter. The majority of the 90+ games came early in his career when we know that young players can then slip back in terms of perfomance (Wotherspoon is another example). He has not played much or consistently in the last season and a quarter so before we dismiss another one out of hand he deserves a chance to prove himself before we write him off.

BSEJVT
22-10-2010, 04:34 PM

Sad to say it but I agree 100%. if he hadnt appeared and done well in that cup final team he would have went the way of Chisholm, Shields etc years ago.

There's not one thing Lewis does well enough, let alone stringing a few attributes together.

An honest enough trier, but another of a whole sea of very mediocre players at ER.

The problem is they are so much of a muchness that its impossible for the manager to consistently pick them or discard them, we just rotate them.

I would punt very near the lot of them and use a smaller squad of better players supplemented by the U19's as necessary. Could they really be much worse.

At least the U19's might have some improvement in them, this lot dont.

EasterRoad4Ever
22-10-2010, 05:27 PM
In the same interview - covered in today's Daily Mail - Steveson states that a lot of the players have completely changed their attitude at training "staying after hours" to do more training to try impress the new manager. Uses phases like "playing for their jobs".

Those kind of comments just make my blood boil. I think Mr Stevenson should name and shame those players who all of a sudden upped their workrate to impress the new manager. And then CC should summarily fire the lot of them. It just confirms what a load of impostors we have at Easter Road.

We can all expect most of these lazy losers to start playing the erckies off for the rest of the season. Is it any wonder, fans feel disaffected and out of touch with modern players ?

500miles
22-10-2010, 05:58 PM
In the same interview - covered in today's Daily Mail - Steveson states that a lot of the players have completely changed their attitude at training "staying after hours" to do more training to try impress the new manager. Uses phases like "playing for their jobs".

Those kind of comments just make my blood boil. I think Mr Stevenson should name and shame those players who all of a sudden upped their workrate to impress the new manager. And then CC should summarily fire the lot of them. It just confirms what a load of impostors we have at Easter Road.

We can all expect most of these lazy losers to start playing the erckies off for the rest of the season. Is it any wonder, fans feel disaffected and out of touch with modern players ?

It's the same in most workplaces. New man in charge, people up thier game to make a good first impression.

And you can be that it will have been like that ever since the game turned professional. It's not grounds for sacking - and if Hibs tried to, we'd get sued.

allmodcons
22-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Hey RH, what a surprise seeing you on here giving LS a kicking.

You defo have personal issues with him!

Andy74
22-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I think if we are to progress we need to lose
likes of Stevenson and Thicot. We need a squad where each player in it we'd be happy to see in the team and not just accept people as decent back up.

The problem is to replace them costs more in wages.

Shrekko
22-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey RH, what a surprise seeing you on here giving LS a kicking.

You defo have personal issues with him!

Is that your contribution to the thread? I wonder if you follow folk around who give guys like Nish, Rankin and Hogg vile nicknames and ridiculous amounts of out of order abuse on this forum and have a go at them? Seriously I'd like to know if you do- I'll maybe check through your other posts! Maybe you just have 'personal issues' with me :greengrin

Do you actually know what that 'personal issues' means? I guess everyone that doesnt rate a player has 'personal issues' with that player?

At the end of the day all that matters is people having opinions. Lets see how things develop in the next few years to see who's correct ok? I had these same arguments with the Tam McManus fan club 5/6 years ago. Players can kid a lot of the people a lot of the time but ultimately they'll end up where they deserve to be.

allmodcons
22-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Is that your contribution to the thread? I wonder if you follow folk around who give guys like Nish, Rankin and Hogg vile nicknames and ridiculous amounts of out of order abuse on this forum and have a go at them? Seriously I'd like to know if you do- I'll maybe check through your other posts! Maybe you just have 'personal issues' with me :greengrin

Do you actually know what that 'personal issues' means? I guess everyone that doesnt rate a player has 'personal issues' with that player?

At the end of the day all that matters is people having opinions. Lets see how things develop in the next few years to see who's correct ok? I had these same arguments with the Tam McManus fan club 5/6 years ago. Players can kid a lot of the people a lot of the time but ultimately they'll end up where they deserve to be.

No personal issues with you RH, but it's plain to see from your comments past and present that you have an 'unhealthy' dislike of LS.

Shrekko
22-10-2010, 09:33 PM
No personal issues with you RH, but it's plain to see from your comments past and present that you have an 'unhealthy' dislike LS.

I dont rate him as a player. I dont think he does nearly enough when he gets a game and am sick of people saying he 'deserves' a run of games because they have a wee soft spot for him and inventing things about all the great things he does.

I dont have a healthy dislike of any Hibs player. I highlight the views people have of Stevenson in comparison to the stick the likes of Rankin get. My opinion is that they are players of similar ability but Rankin suffers because he tries to impact on the game and perhaps doesnt quite have the ability to pull things off whereas Stevenson simply does nothing except make sideways/backwards passes and gets away with it.

I find it strange you've highlighted my views on LS considering the thousands of literally hateful posts on other players by other Hibs fans on here. Do you think it's ok for fans to constantly refer to Colin Nish as Colin Pish for instance?

allmodcons
22-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I dont rate him as a player. I dont think he does nearly enough when he gets a game and am sick of people saying he 'deserves' a run of games because they have a wee soft spot for him and inventing things about all the great things he does.

I dont have a healthy dislike of any Hibs player. I highlight the views people have of Stevenson in comparison to the stick the likes of Rankin get. My opinion is that they are players of similar ability but Rankin suffers because he tries to impact on the game and perhaps doesnt quite have the ability to pull things off whereas Stevenson simply does nothing except make sideways/backwards passes and gets away with it.

I find it strange you've highlighted my views on LS considering the thousands of literally hateful posts on other players by other Hibs fans on here. Do you think it's ok for fans to constantly refer to Colin Nish as Colin Pish for instance?

No, I don't.

Jones28
22-10-2010, 11:06 PM

So would you if havent being playing for ages. Loss of confidence, maybe just CBA towards the end of Yogis reign

Dirkster23
22-10-2010, 11:17 PM
So would you if havent being playing for ages. Loss of confidence, maybe just CBA towards the end of Yogis reign

TBH i think he's tried to bulk up to make up for his lack of height, unfortunately this has slowed him down even more.

I've nothing against the guy at all, by all accounts he's a decent guy and a really good trainer. He's just not good enough to be playing at Hibs and taking us forward.

Jones28
22-10-2010, 11:50 PM

74 times says something about his qaulity then.
AND most of those would have been under JC. He hasnt been given a chance to prove himself to new managers.

Hibee_Lisa
23-10-2010, 12:14 AM
74 times says something about his qaulity then.
AND most of those would have been under JC. He hasnt been given a chance to prove himself to new managers.

Maybe there is a reason nearly every other manager out with JC has not played him.

latapy10
23-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Maybe there is a reason nearly every other manager out with JC has not played him.m opinion lewis could be good enough for hibs in midfield thats why jc thought a lot of himself in him give hime a break he is only 22

Der Panzer
23-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Having watched the whole interview on BBC, I can't see why this has upset so many people. I actually thought he came across quite well and spoke honestly. A welcome change from the usual media trained, boring interviews us football fans are normally subjected to.

jdships
23-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Having watched the whole interview on BBC, I can't see why this has upset so many people. I actually thought he came across quite well and spoke honestly. A welcome change from the usual media trained, boring interviews us football fans are normally subjected to.

:thumbsup::top marks
Told it as he saw it - honestly :agree:

GreenPJ
23-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe there is a reason nearly every other manager out with JC has not played him.

Mowbray rated him highly.