PDA

View Full Version : Gawn yersel Deeks

Riordans Boots
20-10-2010, 11:54 PM
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Derek-Riordan-is-willing-to.6592047.jp :agree::thumbsup::agree::thumbsup:

TowerHibs
21-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Can't really argue with a lot of that, some people might bump their gums at direct style but it's all about playing passes in the right areas of the park. They can't score if the ball is in their half!!

We lacked any sort penetration under Hughes so we need a change of styles! Building from the back just hasn't worked without Murphy, Whittaker, Boozy and Brown

Keith_M
21-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I think there's a problem with what a lot of people's conceptions of the term 'direct' style of play. That is NOT the equivalent to Hoofball.

Hibs problem in a lot of games is that there was too much passing the ball across the park and back the way, with no penetration. Sometimes what was needed was an injection of pace and quick, forward pass. Maribor showed Hibs what could be done with a bit more directness and with quicker movement off the ball.

"Free Flowing Football" was nothing more than a catchphrase of Tony Mowbray. To me, that hangs around the necks of any Hibs team since then. It doesn't some up my experience of attending matches for the last 30 years.

Alex Trager
21-10-2010, 09:36 AM
You can be direct without hoofing it up the park

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-10-2010, 10:08 AM
No bothered on how we win games just get the 3 points in the bag and that's fine by me, we have for too long wanted Real Madrid style football and 3 points, time to wise up, as a footnote, did you see the comments after the report was crawling with yams trying to be smart?, just goes to show for once and for all they don't care who they beat as long it is us and their obsession with us is breathtaking :yawn:

Renfrew_Hibby
21-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Aye Maribor and for that matter Inter and Spurs last night were both very direct in their play but very entertaining at the same time.
We want to see sharp insisive passing with the team moving in a forward motion, not this across the park pish that only invites the opposition to steel the ball.

When did we last score a goal where the ball went through the middle of the park and the ball was played through into the path of the striker, splitting the opposition defence?

We used to score great goals like this on a regular basis but not any more.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Fuuny how sometimes if you do something in the SPL, it is a hoof up the park, but if you do it in the EPL or CL, it is a terrific long pass from the defence. If you can find a player open, anywhere on the park, and he has the ability to bring the ball down and get it under control, then a long pass is legitimate football. In reality, if you can get a big fit team and line up 4-4-2 and all face the same way, in the SPL that will do you most weeks. Don't know how far that would get you in Europe though.

1two
21-10-2010, 11:06 AM
You can be direct without hoofing it up the park

Exactly there's direct and there's long ball

We don't have the players for the passing game
We don't have the big target man required to play it long ball

The quicker we realise that and stop spouting the 'flair' line at every opportunity, the better

What we do lack though is a couple of players with pace with the exception of Galbraith who I think is still not quite ready

Sudds_1
21-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Exactly there's direct and there's long ball

We don't have the players for the passing game
We don't have the big target man required to play it long ball

The quicker we realise that and stop spouting the 'flair' line at every opportunity, the better

What we do lack though is a couple of players with pace with the exception of Galbraith who I think is still not quite ready

Couldn't agree more. This fallacy that we play "flair" football needs some redressing, not least since we haven't done so for some considerable time. Barca do it. Real do it. Brazil USED to do it. Englnad have never done it.

The point I'm making is that (in my view) not since the tornadoes and earlier have we had players with the necessary technical ability throughout the team to show us flair AND at the same time be effective. Mowbray's teams came closest in recent years - but we were powder puff.....all show and no backbone.

So yes, I support CC in wanting to play direct football and with a hard centre. As others have said, that doesn't mean hoofball.....but it also means we won't be seeing this meaningless patta cake patta cake passing in the name of flair that flatters to deceive.......and gets us nowhere.

I also hope he uses the extra 12 or so feet of width.....all other teams coming to ER use that - and hurt us. Time we did some hurting. :wink:

herdy
21-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree with deek on this.

IMO, It doesn't really matter if we don't play with this so called "flair", if it's direct and it produces more opportunities and more goals then let's face it we'll be happy !!

plus it's really difficult to play with flares, i always used to trip uo over them, that's why they went out of fashion back in the 70's.

:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
21-10-2010, 11:30 AM
A lot of good comments on this thread.
It seems CC is realistic, articulate and professional. No soundbites and "dutch football" quotes that are ultimately a fantasy dream.

Football aint about the short ball or the long ball; but the right ball.

simples :wink:

bingo70
21-10-2010, 11:38 AM
So does this mean that after all the stick he's taken, williamson was in fact right? It is only about winning?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
21-10-2010, 11:43 AM
A lot of good comments on this thread.
It seems CC is realistic, articulate and professional. No soundbites and "dutch football" quotes that are ultimately a fantasy dream.

Football aint about the short ball or the long ball; but the right ball.

simples :wink:

Exactly, its not about one or the other, its about making the right decisions to suit the circumstances - playing the ball about at the back is fine if you are trying to kill a game or take the sting out of the opposition.

As we have all seen though, it is no use when trying to play at home to teams who will get plenty of players back behind the ball.

There should be no dogmatic approach to 'passing' - passing is a means to an end, not an end in itself. However i do believe that passing is generally the best means to the end, although in Scotland i do wonder if that is actually true

Craig_in_Prague
21-10-2010, 11:44 AM
So does this mean that after all the stick he's taken, williamson was in fact right? It is only about winning?

of which he wasn't very good at!

Let's face it, the teams in lower places in the SPL or EPL, are not there all the time coz of luck, it's coz they generally are hoof merchants and don't have the abilities to keep the ball well enough and do enough with it, i.e. move it with pace, create enough chances to win enough games.

It just seems the fans are realizing that we need to get back to basics, forget flair pish, but moving the ball forward quicker with a purpose, achieves more than passing the ball across your half way line all day.

Being organised and being able defend doesn't make you a negative team.
Rangers were excellent last night; Defended well but broke with purpose many times. Also plenty 1-2 movements and getting midfielders/fullbacks forward passed the strikers.

.Sean.
21-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Tbh, I couldn't give a toss about the style of football so long as we're winning. Our previous 3 managers all promised passing football and look were we ended up.

Sudds_1
21-10-2010, 12:16 PM

not quite........

.....there's **** all on at the flicks these days either :wink::greengrin