PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago on Friday ....

20-10-2010, 01:50 PM
..... marks the 10th anniversary of us humping the Yams 6-2 at ER. Giving them a goal of a start, Mixu's hattrick, O'Neill's goal, Zitelli scoring and then Latapy rounding of the mawling with his superb volley. As I recall Niemi had a few great saves too. The funiest part of the whole night for me though was when Cameron got the consolation at the end and the Hibs support rising, almost as one, to sarcastically applaud the goal - hilarious. Cameron looked like he'd wished he'd missed!

This win kept us in 2nd place in the league above the Huns and saw us finish the season in 3rd place.

The team that famous night was - Colgan, Lovell, G. Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O'Neil, Jack, Latapy, Paatelainen, Zitelli.

SlickShoes
20-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I was there, remember going 1-0 down and thinking "here we go again, decent team and we go and blow it against hearts as usual". How wrong i was!

Sandy
20-10-2010, 02:00 PM
..... marks the 10th anniversary of us humping the Yams 6-2 at ER. Giving them a goal of a start, Mixu's hattrick, O'Neill's goal, Zitelli scoring and then Latapy rounding of the mawling with his superb volley. As I recall Niemi had a few great saves too. The funiest part of the whole night for me though was when Cameron got the consolation at the end and the Hibs support rising, almost as one, to sarcastically applaud the goal - hilarious. Cameron looked like he'd wished he'd missed!

This win kept us in 2nd place in the league above the Huns and saw us finish the season in 3rd place.

The team that famous night was - Colgan, Lovell, G. Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O'Neil, Jack, Latapy, Paatelainen, Zitelli.

Did Matty Jack not go off injured early and had to be replaced by the lad from Trinidad whose name escapes me due to age and drink :greengrin edit Lyndon Andrews

GreenPJ
20-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Did Matty Jack not go off injured early and had to be replaced by the lad from Trinidad whose name escapes me due to age and drink :greengrin edit Lyndon Andrews

:agree: Went off after about 20 mins. John O'Neill was superb that night as was Russ.

Johnny_Leith
20-10-2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

Big team support....:yawn:

1two
20-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I was there, remember going 1-0 down and thinking "here we go again, decent team and we go and blow it against hearts as usual". How wrong i was!

I know what you mean but there was a strange atmosphere that night

Almost as if we new we were gonna pump them

What a night though, and still hurts them bad

M11BMO
20-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday...:scarf:

HibeePaj
20-10-2010, 02:22 PM
i think the current squad could do with giving this a watch:greengrin

superfurryhibby
20-10-2010, 02:25 PM
It was one of the best performances I've seen from Hibs. It was sublime football and only Aunty Nelly saved the score from being in double figures. I remember feeling emotional, knowing that I had never seen a derby like that since making my spectator debut twenty seven years earlier and, being of sour pussed disposition, feeling that I might never see another.

We were magnificent and to be fair to them they battled hard, albeit that they were outclassed. The Hibs fans actually gave them a clap when they scored a few minutes from time, not being at all ironic.

essexhibee
20-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I was only six at the time and remember that night well. Still got the "Six of the best" video, anyone else got it?

Unreal. Little needs saying to describe that night.

Hibercelona
20-10-2010, 03:11 PM
can't believe it's been 10 years. One of the best nights of my life as a Hibs supporter but it's kinda sad when you see how many times they've scored 4+ goals against us since then.
We're definitely due them one, bring on the 7th!

Hopefully the players will see this as more than just a football game and they will realize that its a "battle" against this mob.

If the players go into this thinking its just another fancy flick and trick game, they are in serious trouble.

Lets battle them and lets battle them hard. :agree:

RCNG
20-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I remember chanting "WE WANT SEVEN". The faces on the yams just over from my seat in the west was priceless!

latapy10
20-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I remember chanting "WE WANT SEVEN". The faces on the yams just over from my seat in the west was priceless!Great night every time we went up the park we looked like scoring and latapy ran the game again quality:agree:

Killiehibbie
20-10-2010, 03:52 PM
My favourite game against them, especially coming from behind to absolutely hammer them. We want seven was the chant but it really should've been 14. Never has a Sunday night drive back to the land that time forgot been so enjoyable.

Leith_Hibee
20-10-2010, 03:53 PM
It was a Sunday night and I went up the town after the game to celebrate, I had my mate on my shoulders in Revolution (now the HMV Picture House). I was still pished at work on the Monday but had a grin from ear to ear.

Cant believe that was 10 years ago.

Stevie Reid
20-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I remember saying at half time that if we got a 3rd, I really felt that we could give them a long overdue hammering - never thought that that would happen though, I genuinely experienced a new emotion when that 6th goal went in.

Mixu said that Niemi asked him "How many was it?" as they walked off at the end.

22nd OCtober is also my Dad's birthday : )

Bristolhibby
20-10-2010, 04:10 PM
A load of my English mates came, round as it was always an excuse for them to get canned up with me and my old man. They are very good in the fact that they all now have an interest in Hibs.

Anyway, carried on drinking after to celebrate, Being a Saturday night, not many pubs were open when we decided to head into town. Remembered that the Uni American Football team that I played for (I know) had a deal with a landlord at a pub that had sky to show the late night Sunday night NFL game. Went there for a lock in. Remember drinking rum and black currant, then ending up sleeping at my mates house. Got lost in the middle of the night looking for the bog. His dad came in and asked Matt if your mate was Ok, because he was clunking around in the bathroom. (turned out I was asleep on the floor with the door locked).

Anyway a great night with a celebration worthy of the event.

Even managed to get up and go into Uni the next day with my Hibs shirt still on from the night before.

Quality!

J

Diclonius
20-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Really wish I could put forward my memories from the game, but at the time I was nine years old and had no interest in football. :grr: I've only been a Hibs fan since 05 and have not once seen us score more than one against them (missed the 2-0, 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3s) so this is unreal to me.

Bristolhibby
20-10-2010, 04:12 PM
A load of my English mates came, round as it was always an excuse for them to get canned up with me and my old man. They are very good in the fact that they all now have an interest in Hibs.

Anyway, carried on drinking after to celebrate, Being a Saturday night, not many pubs were open when we decided to head into town. Remembered that the Uni American Football team that I played for (I know) had a deal with a landlord at a pub that had sky to show the late night Sunday night NFL game. Went there for a lock in. Remember drinking rum and black currant, then ending up sleeping at my mates house. Got lost in the middle of the night looking for the bog. His dad came in and asked Matt if your mate was Ok, because he was clunking around in the bathroom. (turned out I was asleep on the floor with the door locked).

Anyway a great night with a celebration worthy of the event.

Even managed to get up and go into Uni the next day with my Hibs shirt still on from the night before.

Quality!

J

I meant to type Sunday night.

Bishop Hibee
20-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Great night. Latapy's second half performance was the greatest I've ever seen in the green and white. Hearts had a decent side at that time although the chant of "Kevin James for the paralympics" in the pub after the game summed him up.

Breakfast chef at work was a Jambo and he was delighted to see me appear the next morning and ask for the 6 piece fry-up :greengrin

Pretty Boy
20-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Remember the night well. I was 14 at the time and for reasons i don't undertsand to this day decided not to go to the game.

Me, my cousin and my dad (all Hibbys obviously) went to my next door neighbours, who is a yam, to watch it. By the time the 6th went in we had all lost the plot and were going absolutely mental, whilst said neighbour sat with his face tripping him. His mood was futher lowered when his wife came home and asked why he didn't celebrate Camerons goal, he said there was no point and when his missus, who knows hee haw about football, continued to push the point he totally snapped and went storming out the house, cue a few Hibs songs and general pi55 taking.

Brilliant, brilliant night and for about half a season that team played some of the finest football i've seen any Hibs team play.

Broken Gnome
20-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I could only afford to go to 22/10/00 or the game beforehand. The only imaginable time I could regret seeing Hibs pump Rangers in person... Gutted.

marleyhib
20-10-2010, 04:56 PM
it could have been double figures on the night, just a brilliant game, I will never forget it

LeithBoozy
20-10-2010, 05:01 PM
My wee hibby mate who was working down the docks at the time,was telling me that every pipe coming along the line had 6-2 painted on them. The bosse's at Leith pipe coater's even resorted to putting foremen all along the line to stop it unsuccsesfully, as the Hibby's made it a Monday never to be forgotton. :greengrin

Violater
20-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Sends shivers down my spine watching Latapy blast the 6th one home. Thats an atmosphere i will never forget at ER. Like someone said earlier,there was just something in the air that night. Maybe the smell of the yams cacking themselves?

:thumbsup:

Jamesie
20-10-2010, 06:45 PM
It was my 20th birthday. I still don't think I've ever been to a game like it. I agree with those who have posted saying there was a strange atmosphere; like we knew we were going to pump them even at 0-1 down. I've heard stories about people leaving pubs and paying to get into the ground at half time; not sure if that is true.

Sadly I was at uni in Aberdeen at the time so had to get the train back up the road that evening and my celebrating was thus quite muted. Never forget that day though...probably more scary that the fact it was almost ten years ago means I'm very nearly 30 :greengrin

Andy74
20-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Ten years. What have I done with my life?

Auckland Hibs
21-10-2010, 07:17 AM
What a night :agree:

Got melted and rang all the Yams I know at 6 minutes past 2 on the Monday morning singing hibs songs down the phone :wink:

Steve20
21-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Great night. That goal from Latapy is my favourite Hibs goal ever. :thumbsup:

However, its been ten years since I was 18. :boo hoo:

3pm
21-10-2010, 12:03 PM
The only drawback to that night was that there were only about 1500 of them there!

--------
21-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Sunday night, and I was taking a service in another congregation.

Got in the car to come home about quarter to eight, put on the radio to get the score, and it was the phone-in (then led by Chic Young).

I couldn't make out what was going on, just some guy yelling and swearing about "Thae useless *******s a need sacked..." and CY trying to get the guy to calm down and shut up.

Then another guy came on singing the same song, except he mentioned "That useless fat ******* Jeffries" and "F***in disgrace, hang the f***in lot of them".

So the two Jambos start slagging one another, the team, Jeffries, the Pieman, everybody connected with the Yams, off big time. CY couldn't get a word in, just let them get on with it.

It must have go on for 15-20 minutes, just two Jambos shouting and swearing about what they wanted to do to Robinson, Jeffries, the team, the groundsman, the water-boys, the referee, any random Hibee they happened to meet...

Funniest radio show I'd heard since the days of The Goon Show. I could hardly drive for laughing, couldn't imagine WHAT we'd done to them to get this sort of reaction, only got the score when I got back to the house....

Joy unconfined!

LancashireHibby
21-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Those were the days when the Sunday night games were on Five Live, so I remember being sat on B&Q car park across the road from my house with a radio while my mates had a kickabout and I ran about the place going mental every time a goal went in :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-10-2010, 02:07 PM
A great night but spoiled by that yam 2nd goal that they didn't even merit, I remember Colgan raging at defenders for it, still bugs me today that :grr:

Big team support indeed! :lolyam:

PaulSmith
21-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Best summed up for me, Fulton sinking to his knees after John O'Neil had just made it 5 with still plenty of time on the clock for a few more.

HibbyAndy
21-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Best summed up for me, Fulton sinking to his knees after John O'Neil had just made it 5 with still plenty of time on the clock for a few more.

Absolute love watching that bit, He along with his smelly jumbo cronies Knew fine well hibs were ripping the utter pish out of them and could have scored 10 that night, That is no exagaration to the younger ones that never seen the game, Hibs were devastating that night.

LancashireHibby
21-10-2010, 08:14 PM
In fact, it must have been good as I remember watching the goals three times over on BBC Breakfast the following morning when they kept showing the Hibs goals instead of the Premiership!

KiddA
22-10-2010, 05:10 AM

Great night one of the best days of my life. I am also getting married today as I thought it was such an appropriate day :greengrin

Ritchie
22-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Happy birthday 6-2 :notworthy:

22-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Happy anniversary to us!!! GIRUTY. Aw' the best to KiddA too!

Steve-O
22-10-2010, 07:47 AM
I think I also went to Revolution that night as I had the Monday off :faf:

Good times...

It might've been Eros & Elite I went to though...

Great stuff though, couldn't believe what I was seeing to be honest, and only a few months after nailing them 3-0 at Tynecastle as well :agree:

matty_f
22-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Happy birthday 6_2:thumbsup:

al bundy
22-10-2010, 08:13 AM
never been to a game like it since and probably never will but i will take the memories to my grave!

what a top side we had back then and you have to take your hat of to alex mcleish for getting russel and frank and a few others, if only we had one of this pair on the field currently......

HibbyAndy
22-10-2010, 10:17 AM
10 years to the very day

:singing: Booked for being ugly, Oh you got booked for being ugly :singing:

Take a bow Stevie Fulton :not worth:not worth:not worth

WestSideHibby
22-10-2010, 11:13 AM
In the run up to this I had to put up with my parents and brother going on about how they were going on holiday to the nice warm weather while I was cold and wet back in Scotland.

Only thing was that I got a loan of their season tickets for the week...

Guess who was laughing loudest when they got back!? :greengrin

Broken Gnome
22-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Stuart Lovell at goal number six, hand aloft even before Latapy had hit it. Sometimes, you just know....

Peevemor
22-10-2010, 11:49 AM
... and played in my favourite 'recent' Hibs strip. :thumbsup:

KiddA
22-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Happy anniversary to us!!! GIRUTY. Aw' the best to KiddA too!

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
22-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks very much :thumbsup:

You no ment to be pished :greengrin

KiddA
22-10-2010, 04:10 PM
You no ment to be pished :greengrin

Very soon my friend :wink: I am still recovering from my stag do the other night could not even remember getting home on Wednesday night great time though :thumbsup: I get married at 6.30pm Florida time. Can't wait already spoke to the dj about playing some Proclaimers :greengrin

HibbyAndy
22-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Very soon my friend :wink: I am still recovering from my stag do the other night could not even remember getting home on Wednesday night great time though :thumbsup: I get married at 6.30pm Florida time. Can't wait already spoke to the dj about playing some Proclaimers :greengrin

Have a good day mate:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:cheers:

:greengrin

KiddA
22-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Have a good day mate:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:greengrin

I appreciate it mate :thumbsup: thanks very much

Alex Trager
22-10-2010, 09:08 PM
What a game! If only there huge support turned up that night

FranckSuzy
22-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Congratulations :thumbsup: Have a good day :partyhibb

Col2
22-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Similar to others, goes down as my greatest Hibs game memory. Had just turned 30 and now just turned 40!!

Mixu got the headlines, John O'neill was superb in midfield but wee Russell Latapy for me that night was just world class. If you look back in that game and just watch his contribution you see a player at the absolute top of his game. The 6th goal will always be legendary and rounded off the night perfectly.

Shame in 10 years since we have never come close to repeating but we will, some day. That game will live with me forever.

surreyhibbie
22-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Nope, after we went one down we were ripping into them and for probably the only time in my life I felt totally confident. It felt strange but I said to my boys "relax, we are going to win this. easy"

normally I wouldn't relax if we were 3 up with a minute to go....

Wembley67
10-02-2011, 12:42 PM
10 years to the very day

:singing: Booked for being ugly, Oh you got booked for being ugly :singing:

Take a bow Stevie Fulton :not worth:not worth:not worth

That wasn't the same game was it :confused:

Oh I'm doing the unusual thing of reading the front page hence why I have dug this thread back up :aok:

hibee_girl
10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
That wasn't the same game was it :confused:

Oh I'm doing the unusual thing of reading the front page hence why I have dug this thread back up :aok:

No it wasn't the same game, Fulton got booked in an afternoon game (may have been the Sauzee teeth game)

Sir David Gray
10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
No it wasn't the same game, Fulton got booked in an afternoon game (may have been the Sauzee teeth game)

I think it may have been during the game on the 14th August 1999 (so the season before the 6-2 game). The game ended 1-1 and Fulton was booked in that match.

I'm sure I was at that game, I can't believe it was nearly 12 years ago!

seanraff07
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I was 5 so can't really remember it at the time but my Dad says i watched the game with him and my head was just about going through the roof during the last few goals.:greengrin

I've still got it on video, is it available on DVD?

Pedantic_Hibee
10-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I made a last minute decision to go to the game.

Best game I've ever been to in my life bar none.

I was last seen outside my Jambo supporting mate's house that night dancing in his front garden and trying to shove my Hibs scarf through their letterbox.

fat freddy
10-02-2011, 09:07 PM
its often forgotten that mixu had a goal disallowed for no particular reason as it was a perfectly good goal....it should have been seven.....the yams had a boycott of sorts in operation that night hence their poor support...they were complaining about the cost of tickets for the game as hibs added a few quid on to the price of a ticket for a normal game...i reckon they knew they were in for a humping and a lot of them used the boycott as a convieniant excuse not to be there...i remember getting tired from the constant celebrations under the t.v. gantry in the shed...i sort of wanted the scoring to end as i was knackered!

Chibs
10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
get goosebumps everytime I watch on youtube.

KWJ
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
its often forgotten that mixu had a goal disallowed for no particular reason as it was a perfectly good goal....it should have been seven.....the yams had a boycott of sorts in operation that night hence their poor support...they were complaining about the cost of tickets for the game as hibs added a few quid on to the price of a ticket for a normal game...i reckon they knew they were in for a humping and a lot of them used the boycott as a convieniant excuse not to be there...i remember getting tired from the constant celebrations under the t.v. gantry in the shed...i sort of wanted the scoring to end as i was knackered!

As I remember it was rightfully disallowed. Foul somewhere. Want to watch the whole thing again but only have it on VHS and no VHS player.