PDA

View Full Version : Cc - legend

SidBurns
20-10-2010, 12:29 PM
A bit from today's Daily Ranger:-

COLIN CALDERWOOD probably wouldn't have beaten himself up if he hadn't landed the Hibs job given he was competing with more than 100 candidates.

However, Craig Brown last night revealed how the former Scotland and Spurs defender regularly used to do just that before games.

A tough and uncompromising centre-half, Calderwood had an unusual pre-match routine whenever he represented his country. The 45-year-old, who won 36 caps under Brown, used to talk to himself and slap his own face in order to get himself fired up.

It was a practice that drew some strange looks from team-mates but helped Scotland reach the finals of Euro 96 and France 98.

Brown said: "He used to sit in the corner of the dressing room and slap himself across the face.

"He got himself psyched up and while it was an alternative approach it worked for him.

"He would also talk to himself before matches shouting, 'C'mon' over and over again. Colin was a strong and powerful character on and off the pitch who did exceptionally well for Scotland."

Colin Hendry, who struck up a terrific partnership with Calderwood at international level, also recalled his team-mate's bizarre ritual.

He said: "His routine was rather unusual, but it was his own way of setting himself up for a match.

"He was a quiet lad who didn't say much in the dressing room although he was more extrovert in the minutes before kick-off."

Hibs chairman Rod Petrie opted for Calderwood to succeed John Hughes ahead of 105 other applicants.

And Motherwell manager Brown, who is relishing the chance to lock horns with his former charge, believes it is an inspired choice. But the ex-Scotland boss has warned the Hibs players not to mistake Calderwood for a soft touch because of his easy-going nature.

Brown said: "He will be a top-class appointment for Hibs. He had success at Northampton and Nottingham Forest, winning promotion with both, and comes to the SPL with a great pedigree.

"He will make Hibs hard to beat because he was hard to beat on the park both individually and as part of a team.

"He was a tough guy. He might have the nicest smile in the SPL and is a wonderful bloke, but if the Hibs players think he's a soft touch they're in for a shock.

"He is hard as nails and a tough taskmaster. As a player he was the ultimate hard-working professional and he will expect that from all of his players."

The cornerstone of Brown's team alongside Hendry and Tom Boyd, Stranraer-born Calderwood was an integral part of the last successful national side.

Speedway
20-10-2010, 01:41 PM
It makes me wonder who he'll know in the Hibs squad.

I'd figure on him knowing Stack and Smith in the keepers. Hart, Grounds and Stephens in the defenders. Miller in the midfielders and possibly Galbraith. Then Riordan and Duffy as far as the forwards go.

So maybe not that unfamiliar with the players after all.

JoeT
20-10-2010, 03:17 PM

I'd figure on him knowing Stack and Smith in the keepers. Hart, Grounds and Stephens in the defenders. Miller in the midfielders and possibly Galbraith. Then Riordan and Duffy as far as the forwards go.

I'd guess he'd know Riordan and that's about it, he might recall Miller as the boy who went to Man U from Celtic and wonderered where he ended up

Andy74
20-10-2010, 06:58 PM

I've seen him at ER a few times so he'll know a few more than we'd expect.

Mixu62
20-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Did Fat Jim knew ever slap himself in the face? He looks like he did. A lot.

Andy74
20-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Something I'd never tire of doing.

sahib
20-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I've seen him at ER a few times so he'll know a few more than we'd expect.

Where do you sit? You seem very observant.:confused:

Mibbes Aye
20-10-2010, 07:53 PM

:faf:

In part it means he can blame his very red face on self-harm, as opposed to the real cause - utter embarrassment at the way he got his job and utter embarrassment at the way he swapped his dignity and any self-respect for a wage from his master.

Still, I suppose the manager typifies much of their support and vice versa. Homfc - Scotland's real shame :agree:

Speedway
21-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Stack likes to deliver a slap across the face, just never his own.