PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday.... Neil Martin

--------
20-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Today is Neil Martin's 70th birthday.

Neil was one of my first boyhood heroes at ER, a big centre-forward whose goalscoring record for Hibs was outstanding at the time and remains among the half-dozen best since WW2. I believe that his goals-to-games percentage is second only to the late great Joe Baker's.

You know you're getting old yourself when the guys you used to watch putting the ball in the net for the Cabbage hit the big 7-0.

So all my very best and sincerest good wishes on this milestone, Neil, and many many more to you.

Cheers, Neil! :notworthy:

Future17
20-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Had the pleasure of meeting Neil on a couple of occasions recently and he is a thoroughly nice guy.

Also the last Hibs player to score a hat-trick at Parkhead, which he did against Jock Stein's Celtic just after Stein had joined them having left Hibs.

Happy Birthday Neil! :thumbsup:

HibeeMcGinn1
20-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Happy Birthday ya mad belter.

Jonnyboy
20-10-2010, 06:32 PM
For the benefit of our younger readers, why not follow this link and read about Neil's exploits :thumbsup:

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?59-Neil-s-a-Belter

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Today is Neil Martin's 70th birthday.

Neil was one of my first boyhood heroes at ER, a big centre-forward whose goalscoring record for Hibs was outstanding at the time and remains among the half-dozen best since WW2. I believe that his goals-to-games percentage is second only to the late great Joe Baker's.

You know you're getting old yourself when the guys you used to watch putting the ball in the net for the Cabbage hit the big 7-0.

So all my very best and sincerest good wishes on this milestone, Neil, and many many more to you.

Cheers, Neil! :notworthy:

An outstanding player for us Doddie, I remember as a lad enjoying his style of play, was fantastic in the air as well as on the ground, was gutted when he left for Sunderland :(

Alfred E Newman
20-10-2010, 07:09 PM
One of the best headers of a ball I`ve ever seen. Remember him scoring the only goal of the game with a tremedous header against the Rangers at Easter Road in 1965 in front of over 40000. The pitch was covered in snow ,the lines were swept and the ball was orange. We beat a great Rangers team 3 times that season .
Of course in true Hibs style we sold him at the first opportunity.

ekhibee
20-10-2010, 08:18 PM
For the benefit of our younger readers, why not follow this link and read about Neil's exploits :thumbsup:

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?59-Neil-s-a-Belter
Thank you for the fascinating article Jon. I only remember Neil Martin vaguely, I was just a wee tot when he was playing for Hibs, but I work beside a relation of his, and my wife's from Tranent so there's a connecton there as well.