PDA

View Full Version : Alex Ferguson/Wayne Rooney

erin-go-bragh87
19-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone else see the press conference on SSN about Wayne Rooney?
Strangest press conference from Fergie Ive ever seen. Looks genuinely hurt that Rooney is looking to screw him and the club over after all they have done for him. Also said the door is still open for Rooney! Wonder whats triggered this with Rooney??:confused:

Betty Boop
19-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Strangest press conference from Fergie Ive ever seen. Looks genuinely hurt that Rooney is looking to screw him and the club over after all they have done for him. Also said the door is still open for Rooney! Wonder whats triggered this with Rooney??:confused:

:agree: He did look quite upset. Confirmation at last that Rooney wants away.

HibeeSince85
19-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Rooney wants to take on Ferguson, proof that the only thing he has going for him is great talent on a football pitch, no brains what so ever.

Purehibee_MYB
19-10-2010, 01:40 PM
People saying Fergie might retire over this saga

Stevie Reid
19-10-2010, 01:44 PM

No wonder he's upset, Rooney is clearly a vindictive little *****.

Man City will do all they can to make sure he signs for them I'm sure.

HibeeSince85

Doubt it, Beckham, Ruud, Keane.

All got punted when they no longer fitted in, he'll be gutted at the way Rooney has treated him and the club but wont retire.

StarMan10

fergie wouldnt retire with man united in the state they would be without rooney

hibee bouncer
19-10-2010, 01:50 PM
He'll want to better liverpools record of league wins before he goes too.

Betty Boop
19-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Sir Alex has played a blinder, turning the tables on Rooney. I wonder what Man U fans thin ?

yekimevol
19-10-2010, 01:53 PM
looks like rooney is cheating on everyone these days:greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
19-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Sir Alex has played a blinder, turning the tables on Rooney. I wonder what Man U fans thin ?

Exactly what I was thinking. They were all shouting for him to come on when it was 2-2 at the weekend and were probably blaming Fergie for leaving him on the bench. If they knew then eh??

I dont think Fergie will retire over this, better players than Rooney have come and gone.

talking_wiss
19-10-2010, 01:57 PM

You can guarantee Rooney's next move in this debacle will be to come out and publicly blame the owners for a lack of investment and stripping cash from the club. Cue a split in the United support with the Anti-Glazier fans (seems to be the majority these days) not knowing whether to boo or cheers Rooney! It's gonna get messy....

Cocaine&Caviar
19-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Talk of Benzema, Las Diarra and £20m for Rooney, seems a decent deal for all parties, especially considering his contract situation.

ShanksSaidNo
19-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Doubt it, Beckham, Ruud, Keane.

All got punted when they no longer fitted in, he'll be gutted at the way Rooney has treated him and the club but wont retire.
The massive difference is - with the players stated above Ferguson made the decision that these players should be sold on. He very rarely talked about it publicly as he was so self-assured behind the scenes that he had the tools to put loosing these players right. With Rooney - he has basically stuck 2 fingers up to fergie and said "I no longer want to play for this club!". This will effect Ferguson alot more than any of the other 'greats' that have gone before. Lets not forget Ferguson has spoken of Rooney in terms as high as making him his future club captain. Rooney is the last ace in Ferguson's pack and i will be very surprised if he comes through this and builds yet another strong squad.
Its changing times in football where players and agents rule the roost and and i don't think Ferguson will have any inclination to be part of it for too much longer!

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-10-2010, 02:24 PM

If you look at the cut of some of other things that Rooney has screwed it would seem that nothing is out of the question for him.

Gingertosser
19-10-2010, 02:26 PM
It would be quite funny if he ended up at Liverpool :devil:

HibeeSince85
19-10-2010, 02:33 PM
The massive difference is - with the players stated above Ferguson made the decision that these players should be sold on. He very rarely talked about it publicly as he was so self-assured behind the scenes that he had the tools to put loosing these players right. With Rooney - he has basically stuck 2 fingers up to fergie and said "I no longer want to play for this club!". This will effect Ferguson alot more than any of the other 'greats' that have gone before. Lets not forget Ferguson has spoken of Rooney in terms as high as making him his future club captain. Rooney is the last ace in Ferguson's pack and i will be very surprised if he comes through this and builds yet another strong squad.
Its changing times in football where players and agents rule the roost and and i don't think Ferguson will have any inclination to be part of it for too much longer!

Nah I know that but still think he will take the hit, deal with it and then start again, the thing with Ferguson is he doesn't stand for trouble within his squad, Rooney's made his bed, he can lie in it, I know who i'd back to come out of this on top.

You are right though about the power players and agents have nowadays, Fergie must despair to see how football has become.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2010, 02:36 PM
When they were talking about Ferguson having a press conference this afternoon, I thought that it would be a waste of time because all the journalists would be wanting to talk about would be the Rooney story and I thought Ferguson would refuse to talk about it.

When I heard him saying that Rooney had told him that he wanted away, I was shocked. Not just shocked at actually hearing that Rooney wants to leave but the fact that Ferguson was speaking quite openly about the whole thing.

Football players really are unbelievable nowadays. A few things go against them and then they start throwing the toys out the pram and say they want to leave.

People seem to think it's a certainty that he'll end up at Manchester City in the next few months but his contract still has 18 months left to run. Although I'm quite sure City could afford to pay the £40 million, or whatever United would want for him, I just don't see them selling him to Manchester City. It was different with Tevez, his contract had finished with United when he signed for them so they didn't have a choice but in this case, I honestly do not see them selling Rooney to their biggest rivals.

Stevie Reid
19-10-2010, 02:39 PM
When they were talking about Ferguson having a press conference this afternoon, I thought that it would be a waste of time because all the journalists would be wanting to talk about would be the Rooney story and I thought Ferguson would refuse to talk about it.

When I heard him saying that Rooney had told him that he wanted away, I was shocked. Not just shocked at actually hearing that Rooney wants to leave but the fact that Ferguson was speaking quite openly about the whole thing.

Football players really are unbelievable nowadays. A few things go against them and then they start throwing the toys out the pram and say they want to leave.

People seem to think it's a certainty that he'll end up at Manchester City in the next few months but his contract still has 18 months left to run. Although I'm quite sure City could afford to pay the £40 million, or whatever United would want for him, I just don't see them selling him to Manchester City. It was different with Tevez, his contract had finished with United when he signed for them so they didn't have a choice but in this case, I honestly do not see them selling Rooney to their biggest rivals.

The Glazers won't be able to refuse an exorbitant amount of money though and this will present Man City and Rooney with an opportunity to deliver the biggest kick in the teeth anybody has ever given anyone - I'm sure they'll make it happen with absolutely crazy money.

If he goes I wish him nothing but failure though.

RoslinInstHibby
19-10-2010, 02:39 PM

depends on who has the final say though, the glazers wont care less who they sell to...as long as its a massive offer, they will take it.

kennyh
19-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Now the fans know they can decide who to support, money grabbin shrek or the man who has made their club as strong as it was.

Note I say "was".

United will soon be in free fall. They simply cant afford to pay the interest every year at the expense of maintaining let alone improving their squad.

talking_wiss
19-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Nah I know that but still think he will take the hit, deal with it and then start again, the thing with Ferguson is he doesn't stand for trouble within his squad, Rooney's made his bed, he can lie in it, I know who i'd back to come out of this on top.

You are right though about the power players and agents have nowadays, Fergie must despair to see how football has become.

Isn't his very own son a football agent???

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2010, 02:47 PM
What is Rooney worth these days? I personally cant see them getting anything near the money they got for Ronaldo, would they even get half that now? Especially with only 18 months left on his contract and with the way his form is now.

Any money they do get, will it be invested in replacements? Recent history suggests no. The power seems to be changing, and Man City maybe not this season, but certainly soon will be the main club in the city, and maybe even the country within a couple of seasons. It does not look good for Man United for the future.

HibeeSince85
19-10-2010, 02:48 PM
[/B]

Isn't his very own son a football agent???

Could be, no idea.

Rooney's agent seems a disruptive pr1ck though, not long back practising after being suspended.

The point was not all players and agents though, it's the newer breed, the ones who believe that they can hold all the power because they are able to throw the toys out the pram if something doesn't go their way.

I got no sympathy for Rooney here, great player that he is, this is a mess of his own doing.

HibbyAndy
19-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Ive seen the interview with sir Alex regarding Rooney and have to admitt ive never seen Fergie look so hurt, He's normally a horrible individual of a man, Arrogant arrogant man that is a very sore and bitter loser All IMO ofcourse.

Rooney, Here's the bit i cant quite grasp..All the jornalist ,Media , Reporter seem genuinley miffed why Rooney wants to leave Man you..Why does he want to leave the biggest club in the world etc..He wont win anymore trophy at any other club etc..He wont get any more money from another club in the world etc..Has anyone actually ever thought THE BOY WANTS A FRESH START AWAY FROM OLD TRAFFORD :confused::confused::confused:...When you sign for Man U do people honestly think its a virtual gaurantee you have to spend your whole career their ?? :confused:

Im staggered the amount of guys that think Rooney has a god given right to spend his whole life at Man you, They guy wants a new challenge END OFF.

Posh Swanny
Player power is most certainly on the rise, but Man Utd are too powerful for any of that sh*te IMO. Never underestimate the shrewdness of the powers that be at Old Trafford, and Sir Alex is the absolute master. This afternoon they've painted Rooney as a money-grabbing, ungrateful barsteward and its being swallowed by all without question.

I don't doubt for a second that Rooney has asked to leave, but would seriously question the "out of the blue" nature being painted by the club and manager. And the questionable treatment of previous "superstars" (Beckham, Yip Yap Stam, RVN) certainly doesn't make me more likely to believe Sir Alex over Rooney in this situation! And to be honest, because of what happened with those former players, I would have no sympathy for Sir Alex or Man Utd even if Rooney is just being a cock.

H18sry
What is Rooney worth these days? I personally cant see them getting anything near the money they got for Ronaldo, would they even get half that now? Especially with only 18 months left on his contract and with the way his form is now.

Any money they do get, will it be invested in replacements? Recent history suggests no. The power seems to be changing, and Man City maybe not this season, but certainly soon will be the main club in the city, and maybe even the country within a couple of seasons. It does not look good for Man United for the future.

5 Mill http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rooney-could-quit-united-for-only-1635m-2110324.html :cool2:

talking_wiss
Could be, no idea.

Rooney's agent seems a disruptive pr1ck though, not long back practising after being suspended.

The point was not all players and agents though, it's the newer breed, the ones who believe that they can hold all the power because they are able to throw the toys out the pram if something doesn't go their way.

I got no sympathy for Rooney here, great player that he is, this is a mess of his own doing.

:agree:I'm sure it was only about 12 months ago that Fergie made a public apology for having played Rooney on the left and stifled his career somewhat. Not normal SAF behaviour. Talking him up as a future utd captain and supporting him through all his troubles, I'm not surprised Fergie feels so let down. Rooney's got some form for letting folk down!!!

J-C
19-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Seemingly Rooney had asked for £250,000 a week, obviously pushing Man U to their limits, he knows he'll get that at Man C, greedy liitle ****. :grr:

HibeeSince85
19-10-2010, 02:57 PM
:agree:I'm sure it was only about 12 months ago that Fergie made a public apology for having played Rooney on the left and stifled his career somewhat. Not normal SAF behaviour. Talking him up as a future utd captain and supporting him through all his troubles, I'm not surprised Fergie feels so let down. Rooney's got some form for letting folk down!!!

He certainly seems to have this ego that he can do whatever he wants, football or personal life and messed both up quite nicely.

The boy needs a reality check.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2010, 03:04 PM
The Glazers won't be able to refuse an exorbitant amount of money though and this will present Man City and Rooney with an opportunity to deliver the biggest kick in the teeth anybody has ever given anyone - I'm sure they'll make it happen with absolutely crazy money.

If he goes I wish him nothing but failure though.

depends on who has the final say though, the glazers wont care less who they sell to...as long as its a massive offer, they will take it.

That is very true. Man Utd's debt is staggering but if the Glazers make the decision to sell Rooney to Man City, the anti-Glazer sentiment around Old Trafford will simply intensify.

FitbaFolkKen
19-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Maybe the fact that he has messed things up is the reason that he wants the fresh challenge. Could even be that the lads he is currently playing with are the ones that have led him astray....would be a totally understandable reason for wanting to move.

Just goes to show not even Man U can always keep their best players, yet we get upset at losing our top guys :wink:

RoslinInstHibby
19-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Maybe the fact that he has messed things up is the reason that he wants the fresh challenge. Could even be that the lads he is currently playing with are the ones that have led him astray....would be a totally understandable reason for wanting to move.

Just goes to show not even Man U can always keep their best players, yet we get upset at losing our top guys :wink:

cannae see it TBH, Fletcher, Giggs, Scholes, Neville all been there for years and no hint of bother off the field.

I just think that Rooney is jumping ship as he can see that the United era is ending......

FitbaFolkKen
19-10-2010, 03:36 PM
cannae see it TBH, Fletcher, Giggs, Scholes, Neville all been there for years and no hint of bother off the field.

I just think that Rooney is jumping ship as he can see that the United era is ending......

Xmas parties at Rio's :)....however i think you are probably right, Man U don't look to have the same strength as they have had in previous years.

hibiedude
19-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Just seen the interview in full and it looks like Rooney has spat his dummy out of the pram.

Fergie looks shocked but has confirmed Rooney wants to leave Man Utd

Looks like Chelsea or Man City- Madrid or Barcalona

My Money is on Madrid

RoslinInstHibby
19-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Xmas parties at Rio's :)....however i think you are probably right, Man U don't look to have the same strength as they have had in previous years.
:agree:

Rooney going puts big pressure on Berbatov for goals, Rio is finished, he cant keep going on with all those injuries. Scholes, Giggs, Neville & Van Der Saar are probably in their last full season, maybe 1 more. Fergie wont get the cash to replace that lot......

greenlex
19-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Very clever form Fergie. Playing the victim here. He is putting all the pressure back onto Rooney and making him the villan whilst cleverly leaving the door open for him.:top marks

Jim44
19-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm fairly and squarely in the anti-Rooney brigade since his latest escapades but lets just look at it from both sides. It's not quite as simple as wicked player v hurt, innocent manager. Apparently Ferguson has blanked Rooney since his last carry-on and has refused to communicate with him. To come out and act all hurt and offended is a bit rich?:dunno: I hate Rooney but can't stand Ferguson.

monteddie
19-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Just seen the interview in full and it looks like Rooney has spat his dummy out of the pram.

Fergie looks shocked but has confirmed Rooney wants to leave Man Utd

Looks like Chelsea or Man City- Madrid or Barcalona

My Money is on Madrid

Just picked this snippet from the BBC, looks like Everton are going to profit from this one, very Petrieesque!!

Everton are also going to be interested observers considering they stand to pocket 25% of any transfer fee United receive, above the £27million sum they initially spent to buy the player in 2004.

Green_one
19-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Just picked this snippet from the BBC, looks like Everton are going to profit from this one, very Petrieesque!!

Everton are also going to be interested observers considering they stand to pocket 25% of any transfer fee United receive, above the £27million sum they initially spent to buy the player in 2004.

Not if the little **** buys himself out of his contract ala Webster. Then Everton get zero. Player power could be about to hit a new high.

Sylar
19-10-2010, 07:18 PM
For some reason, I found myself gibbering to my other half about this earlier on (fairly sure I'd just read the headline on the BBC website before leaving the office).

Without having read any articles/rumours, I said to her; I'm willing to wager he'll end up at Real Madrid, with Benzema and money going the other way, with a chance to a) escape Manchester and all the hassles in his private life, b) a new challenge in a much better league and c) a chance to reignite his explosive partnership with Ronaldo. Man Utd also showed interest in signing Benzema, but lost out to Madrid, where he is now out of favour.

Unless Man City offer stupid money, I'll be stunned if the above doesn't pan out.

Littlest Hobo
19-10-2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=HibbyAndy;2611886]Ive seen the interview with sir Alex regarding Rooney and have to admitt ive never seen Fergie look so hurt, He's normally a horrible individual of a man, Arrogant arrogant man that is a very sore and bitter loser All IMO ofcourse.:agree:

Rooney, Here's the bit i cant quite grasp..All the jornalist ,Media , Reporter seem genuinley miffed why Rooney wants to leave Man you..Why does he want to leave the biggest club in the world etc..He wont win anymore trophy at any other club etc..He wont get any more money from another club in the world

REAL MADRID

Reading between the lines, I fancy Fergie told him to rest his ankle and not to play for Engerland. Just heard Fergie say that he told him to rest for ten days to get fit for the Engerland game. I'm sorry but I don't believe him.

IWasThere2016
19-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Is Rooney intelligent enough to go abroad, adapt, settle and learn a language etc?
I think he can't personally - the lure of no upheaval and ManC's mega bucks will IMHO be enough for him to move to Eastlands.

Sylar
19-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Is Rooney intelligent enough to go abroad, adapt, settle and learn a language etc?
I think he can't personally - the lure of no upheaval and ManC's mega bucks will IMHO be enough for him to move to Eastlands.

He'd settle at Madrid no bother - Ronaldo, Carvalho, Alonso and Mourinho, all names in the game whom he's had involvement with at some point in his career.

Football is also so multicultural these days (with players not having enough loyalty to guarantee any more than 5 years (if that)), that learning the lingo won't be a requirement either. So many players move here and don't make any effort to learn the language, so there won't be any requirement for Rooney to do likewise.

Money at Madrid might not be as lucrative as City would be able to offer, but Madrid is a new challenge in a better league in a better climate, surrounded by a well established team, instead of a group of financially motivated individuals who don't want to be there.

Cropley10
19-10-2010, 08:23 PM

He needs a fresh start personally and needs to get a long way from his in laws.

And looking at that Man U team they're not getting stronger or buying the best talent anymore, there are bigger cheque books out there. But Eastlands is too close to home.

Of course he could go to Madrid and come back to Man U when Jose takes over from Fergie.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2010, 09:16 PM
If he leaves Manchester United, the only way is down from Old Trafford.

He could go to Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid or Barcelona, all of which are huge football clubs but, in my opinion, none of them are as big as Manchester United.

I just don't understand why he would want to leave. I understand he could get more money at City but the guy is already a multi millionaire and has a fortune that will set him up for life. The climate and way of life in Madrid and Barcelona is undoubtedly better than it is in Manchester but is that really a big enough reason to make a move?

I believe he will live to regret leaving Old Trafford, if that is what he ends up doing.

HibbyAndy
19-10-2010, 09:23 PM

He could go to Chelsea, Manchester City, Real Madrid or Barcelona, all of which are huge football clubs but, in my opinion, none of them are as big as Manchester United.

I just don't understand why he would want to leave. I understand he could get more money at City but the guy is already a multi millionaire and has a fortune that will set him up for life. The climate and way of life in Madrid and Barcelona is undoubtedly better than it is in Manchester but is that really a big enough reason to make a move?

I believe he will live to regret leaving Old Trafford, if that is what he ends up doing.

Maybe he knows Man you are on the slide and wants out..Neville, Giggs, Scholes ,Van der sar etc are nearing the end, Even Fergie's future is not crystal clear. He may want out before that happens.

And you may well be right about leaving Man you is a step down to any other club in the world, But has any Man you fans stopped to think that maybe just maybe he wants a new challenge just like Ronaldo?..Does every player that sign for Man you HAVE to end their careers at Old Trafford?

JE89
19-10-2010, 09:30 PM
He'd settle at Madrid no bother - Ronaldo, Carvalho, Alonso and Mourinho, all names in the game whom he's had involvement with at some point in his career.

I don't understand the point you are making with these players (except Ronaldo).
By involvement do you mean playing against them? Everyone in team will know who he is and pretty much vice versa but playing against them wont have as much impact as you makr out. (If that was what you were trying to say)

Danderhall Hibs
19-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Barca and Real aren't as big as Man U? As much as money's involved in this I'm sure he thinks that he'll win more medals if he goes. And that includes if he goes to City IMO.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Barca and Real aren't as big as Man U? As much as money's involved in this I'm sure he thinks that he'll win more medals if he goes. And that includes if he goes to City IMO.

I believe Manchester Utd is a bigger club than Real Madrid and Barcelona. That's just an opinion, I realise a lot of people will disagree with that but that is my opinion.

If he goes to Chelsea, he might win more medals there than he would win at United but no way would he win more at City. I am very confident that Man Utd will finish this season above Man City, with or without Wayne Rooney.

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2010, 09:53 PM
I can't see where all the shock at Rooney wanting leave Man U is coming from. He left Everton, the club he supports, to join them for money in a purely mercenary deal, as all footballers do. He's simply doing the same thing again. Why blame him or focus on Ferguson?

It makes sense to leave Man U who are a mess as a club and probably only Ferguson is preventing them from going into freefall like Liverpool. City and Chelsea might have sold their souls, but at least their owners had the decency to do it to buyers who could afford to finance the supporters dreams.

Until the game gets a grip and has salary caps and criteria for club ownership (non leaveraged buy outs) then it'll continue to dig it's own grave. Episodes such are this are inextricably woven into the modern game. Rooney has chosen to exploit the situation and he's probably right to do so. Most fans have goldfish like memories and the outrage soon gets lost as the next thing displaces it.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Its debatable if Man United are the biggest club in the world, even if they are its not for much longer. They wont be buying any superstars in the near future, and will fall behind the other huge clubs very quickly imho.

TRC
20-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Don't think he will play for united again to be honest.

Sylar
20-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I believe Manchester Utd is a bigger club than Real Madrid and Barcelona. That's just an opinion, I realise a lot of people will disagree with that but that is my opinion.

If he goes to Chelsea, he might win more medals there than he would win at United but no way would he win more at City. I am very confident that Man Utd will finish this season above Man City, with or without Wayne Rooney.

Man Utd were perhaps the biggest club in the world at some point, but those days have well and truly come and gone.

Less financial clout than Madrid, Barca, Man City, AC Milan or Inter Milan - unable to attract players to the club as the league they play in is nowhere near as big or attractive as La Liga (hence why Benzema opted for Madrid in the first place). No "big star" players to attract further big stars to the club. An aging squad which will be radically overhauled in the next 2 or 3 years, when Scholes, Neville, Giggs and Van der Saar all retire, with Ferguson not exactly gradually promoting masses of competent youth players through the ranks. In such a results/money driven industry, past glories mean absolutely nothing and Man Utd have faded, without question. The ONLY way I'd potentially even consider agreeing with you, is that Man Utd probably have the biggest global fan-base, particularly considering the Asian element, but that doesn't make the club big.

Green_one
20-10-2010, 07:58 AM
There is no way Rooney going to Madrid or Barca would work. He is the least cosmopolitan guy I have ever seen. Name just one England international who is playing abroad. Who was the last one to do really well in Europe? Hateley? Keegan? Its not exactly a recent list is it.

English players just do not travel well. I cannot imagine his wife adapting either though anyone is better than Rooney. If he thinks he will get away from the media he is off his nut. Both the Spanish and UK press will hunt him. He provides rich pickings for them. I saw the interview with Mourinho and I got the impression he is not exactly gagging at the thought of getting him. If anything he implied support for him staying. Is Rooney seen as a gamble with his off the field problems? What a poor sequence of events for this guy. Self destruct button ala Paul Gascoigne.

Steve20
20-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I think he has been tapped up and will be on his way to Man City.

Crazyhorse
20-10-2010, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Green_one;2612392]There is no way Rooney going to Madrid or Barca would work. He is the least cosmopolitan guy I have ever seen. Name just one England international who is playing abroad. Who was the last one to do really well in Europe? Hateley? Keegan? Its not exactly a recent list is it.

Beckham obviously did well. But McManaman (another Everton fan) also had a great career at Real Madrid. In my view both of those players were much better than Rooney will ever be and both really had to fight to hold onto their places in the Real team.
People who sit watching MUTV all day probably do think that MU are a bigger team than Real or Barca, this is quaint at best and delusional at worst. The reality is that the Spanish teams have always been and will always been bigger 'brands' on the global stage and a much bigger attraction for world class footballers who want to play on the biggest stage. Rooney wouldn't get a start in either team.

ekhibee
20-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Very clever form Fergie. Playing the victim here. He is putting all the pressure back onto Rooney and making him the villan whilst cleverly leaving the door open for him.:top marks
Yep, that's about the size of it. We're just hearing one side of the story in any case. And Fergie going on about how they helped Rooney through personal problems is nothing to do with football and in my opinion shouldn't have even been brought up at a press conference. I would give Fergie credit for describing Man U as 'one of the biggest teams' instead of calling them THE biggest team, but that's a minor quibble.

The Silver Fox
20-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Bang on with the above. I don't know Rooney but he comes across as a lad who is not the brightest and he cannot go to a bigger club in England. If he has ambitions to go abroad then do it in the right manner. At least Ronaldo did it man to man an dgave the right reasons, in time Ronaldo will be seen as a bigger loss. Rooney will struggle abroad as he will fail to learn a language. His rpivate life is seriously questionable. He also smokes, not just cigarettes, this shows complete contempt for his club, family and fans. God knows what else he gets up to and more will surely follow. Without a strong man behind him like Ferguson he could easily fall apart.

Man Utd will recover after he goes, like they did with Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Jaap Stam and the rest. Cash on on the greedy guy and rebuild. The Diarra and Benzema deal plus £20m is a great option.

Danderhall Hibs
20-10-2010, 12:44 PM
There is no way Rooney going to Madrid or Barca would work. He is the least cosmopolitan guy I have ever seen. Name just one England international who is playing abroad. Who was the last one to do really well in Europe? Hateley? Keegan? Its not exactly a recent list is it.

David Beckham, Steve McManaman?

Having said that I agree with you.:greengrin

greenlex
20-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Decent response from Tean Rooney today but only 7/10.
Missed an open goal by not saying how disappointed they were that a private conversation/negotiation has been made public knowledge by the club he is being asked to respect.
Coulda played the betrayed card.

Biggie
20-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I've heard he's been told (by his missus) that there's no way she'll let him go abroad, and she wants to go back to liverpool. The only team he'll play for in liverpool is everton...and there's a load of bets going on him going back there....could be bollocks, but might be worth a £1 bet :wink:

TornadoHibby
21-10-2010, 07:06 AM
I've heard he's been told (by his missus) that there's no way she'll let him go abroad, and she wants to go back to liverpool. The only team he'll play for in liverpool is everton...and there's a load of bets going on him going back there....could be bollocks, but might be worth a £1 bet :wink:

And he'll win loads of trophies if he does that now won't he!? :cool2:

He has "publicly" stated that he want's to move as he "want's to win the top trophies regularly and doesn't feel that Man Utd will be challenging for these over the next 5 years!" :confused:

Despite the apparent "corporate debt" issues, I can't see such a huge business being allowed to deteriorate from the top level position it has achieved in World football over the years and, particularly over the past decade! :wink:

Todays Gill/Fergie meeting will either sort Rooney's "issues" out so that he either stays at Man Utd or, more likely (IMO), they will decide that he can go BUT only on their terms which may well include him not playing in the first team for several months as well as who he can go to! :cool2:

Spike Mandela
21-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Absolutely love it when all these Man Utd fans start whinging about their 'outrage' when one of their own wants to leave. Just like OF fans up here when on the rare occasion they lose one of their top stars.

How much thought did Celtic fans give us when Stokes, Riordan,Brown, Collins, Stanton etc etc left us?Probably as much thought as Mun Utd fans gave Everton supporters when they got Rooney.

No matter the reason if the guy fancies a change it is his perogative, whatever you think of him.

northgreen24
21-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Just shows you that every club is a selling club

totally agree that MU fans didnt give a toss when he moved their but I still find it strange why he would want to move from them. Yes he can get more dosh but he has allready won everything there is so is a few more medals going to make a big difference?

If it is not about the money (and i do) then would you not like to look back on your career as a legend like giggs charlton, cantona or is a few million more important :confused:.

totally see why players leave us as unfortunitally we dont offer the financial benifits (such is life) but

Spike Mandela
21-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Just shows you that every club is a selling club

totally agree that MU fans didnt give a toss when he moved their but I still find it strange why he would want to move from them. Yes he can get more dosh but he has allready won everything there is so is a few more medals going to make a big difference?

If it is not about the money (and i do) then would you not like to look back on your career as a legend like giggs charlton, cantona or is a few million more important :confused:.

totally see why players leave us as unfortunitally we dont offer the financial benifits (such is life) but

Yeah Giggs and Charlton are legends but Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Stam etc perhaps have the more interesting career. Man Utd aren't the be all and end all as the English media would like us to think. Some players would like to see what life is like in Italy or Spain or the USA even.

If he chooses Man City however that may suggest a different motive.:greengrin

Beefster
21-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah Giggs and Charlton are legends but Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Stam etc perhaps have the more interesting career. Man Utd aren't the be all and end all as the English media would like us to think. Some players would like to see what life is like in Italy or Spain or the USA even.

If he chooses Man City however that may suggest a different motive.:greengrin

Depends on the motivation - Giggs won more trophies by staying at Man U than most players did by leaving. Pique is the only one that I can think of who has left recently and it's been shown to have been a complete success.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Depends on the motivation - Giggs won more trophies by staying at Man U than most players did by leaving. Pique is the only one that I can think of who has left recently and it's been shown to have been a complete success.

Shame on you for forgetting Colin Murdoch.

Sir David Gray
21-10-2010, 03:04 PM

:agree: Here are a list of some of the players who have left Man Utd in recent seasons and what they won at Old Trafford and what they won after they left.

Fabien Barthez

Honours at Man Utd

Two Premiership titles

Honours after leaving

Nothing

David Beckham

Honours at Man Utd

Six Premiership titles
Two FA Cups
1 Champions League title
1 Intercontinental Cup
4 Community Shields
1 Youth Cup

Honours after leaving

1 La Liga title
1 Spanish Super Cup
1 Western Conference

Andy Cole

Honours at Man Utd

5 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
2 FA Cups
2 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 League Cup

Roy Keane

Honours at Man Utd

7 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
4 FA Cups
4 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cups

Honours after leaving

1 SPL title
1 Scottish League Cup

Phil Neville

Honours at Man Utd

6 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
3 FA Cups
3 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Mikael Silvestre

Honours at Man Utd

4 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 English League Cup
2 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Jaap Stam

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 Coppa Italia
1 Supercoppa Italia
2 Dutch Super Cups
1 Dutch Cup

Dwight Yorke

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 Australian League title
1 English Championship title

Diego Forlan

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 FA Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

1 Intertoto Cup
1 Europa League
1 European Super Cup

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 FA Cup
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

2 La Liga titles
1 Spanish Super Cup

Cristiano Ronaldo

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
2 English League Cups
1 Community Shield
1 Club World Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Gerard Pique

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 Champions League title
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

2 La Liga titles
1 Champions League title
1 Spanish Cup
2 Spanish Super Cups
1 European Super Cup
1 Club World Cup

Gabriel Heinze

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title

Honours after leaving

1 La Liga title
1 Spanish Super Cup
1 Ligue 1 title
1 Coupe de la Ligue

Carlos Tevez

Honours at Man Utd

2 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield
1 Club World Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Apart from one or two exceptions, I think the above proves that there really is only way that your career is heading after leaving Manchester United.

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Ian Holloways rant. :faf::faf: He's a character. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Big changes ahead in the NW of England. Man U and Liverpool fans chucking their toys out the pram 'cos Man City are about to usurp them from their lofty perches! Loving it, apart from the fact that quite a lot of Jambos have City as their '2nd' team!

greenlex
21-10-2010, 04:23 PM
It wouldnt surprise me to see Ferguson resign before the end of the week.:cool2:

greenlex
21-10-2010, 04:41 PM
:thumbsup: Just saw it. Brilliant. I think his accent gives it more Kudos. :agree:

Cropley10
21-10-2010, 04:47 PM
:agree: Here are a list of some of the players who have left Man Utd in recent seasons and what they won at Old Trafford and what they won after they left.

Fabien Barthez

Honours at Man Utd

Two Premiership titles

Honours after leaving

Nothing

David Beckham

Honours at Man Utd

Six Premiership titles
Two FA Cups
1 Champions League title
1 Intercontinental Cup
4 Community Shields
1 Youth Cup

Honours after leaving

1 La Liga title
1 Spanish Super Cup
1 Western Conference

Andy Cole

Honours at Man Utd

5 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
2 FA Cups
2 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 League Cup

Roy Keane

Honours at Man Utd

7 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
4 FA Cups
4 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cups

Honours after leaving

1 SPL title
1 Scottish League Cup

Phil Neville

Honours at Man Utd

6 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
3 FA Cups
3 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Mikael Silvestre

Honours at Man Utd

4 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 English League Cup
2 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Jaap Stam

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 Coppa Italia
1 Supercoppa Italia
2 Dutch Super Cups
1 Dutch Cup

Dwight Yorke

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Diego Forlan

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 FA Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

1 Intertoto Cup
1 Europa League
1 European Super Cup

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 FA Cup
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

2 La Liga titles
1 Spanish Super Cup

Cristiano Ronaldo

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
2 English League Cups
1 Community Shield
1 Club World Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Gerard Pique

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 Champions League title
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

2 La Liga titles
1 Champions League title
1 Spanish Cup
2 Spanish Super Cups
1 European Super Cup
1 Club World Cup

Gabriel Heinze

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title

Honours after leaving

1 La Liga title
1 Spanish Super Cup
1 Ligue 1 title
1 Coupe de la Ligue

Carlos Tevez

Honours at Man Utd

2 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield
1 Club World Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Apart from one or two exceptions, I think the above proves that there really is only way that your career is heading after leaving Manchester United.

Interesting facts, these players all won their medals at United when they were THE power house of English football.

Of course United didn't win the League in a 28 year spell, so there are PLENTY of players who will have achieved more after than with United.

The fact of the matter now is that United have an aging squad and manager aren't replacing quality with quality. There star is in the wane.... good time ahead I'd say :devil:

blackpoolhibs
21-10-2010, 04:57 PM
:thumbsup: Just saw it. Brilliant. I think his accent gives it more Kudos. :agree:

Whenever i used to see him on the telly, i'd laugh. Now i still laugh, but he's working miracles at Blackpool too. I never tire of listening to him.:thumbsup:

Westie1875
21-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Just watched that, he's brilliant :faf::faf:

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Dont think there is any chance Sir Alex will resign over this.

Rooney is a vile little runt. Dont think him leaving is anywhere as close to being news as it was when beckham left. Beckham was twice the player for utd that Rooney is.

Whilst Rooney may be able to go anywhere in the English league, I cant see him getting a big club like Madrid or Barca, especially the later where I do not think he would get a starting 11 place.

Lets be honest, whist he is a good player, if he was not young ad english would he be as highly thought of as he is, his record for England is gash, is he any better than Owen was when he was at Liverpool - look what happened to him when he went to spain.

Woody1985
21-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Rooney is a vile little runt. Dont think him leaving is anywhere as close to being news as it was when beckham left. Beckham was twice the player for utd that Rooney is.

Whilst Rooney may be able to go anywhere in the English league, I cant see him getting a big club like Madrid or Barca, especially the later where I do not think he would get a starting 11 place.

Lets be honest, whist he is a good player, if he was not young ad english would he be as highly thought of as he is, his record for England is gash, is he any better than Owen was when he was at Liverpool - look what happened to him when he went to spain.

16 in 43 games according to Wikipedia.

The reason I checked is because I wanted to check how many starts. From memory, a lot were sub appearances. It's what happened after Spain that was his problem.

Albion Hibs
21-10-2010, 10:14 PM
16 in 43 games according to Wikipedia.

The reason I checked is because I wanted to check how many starts. From memory, a lot were sub appearances. It's what happened after Spain that was his problem.

Realistically if he stayed at Liverpool he would have been a huge player in EPL history. The fact he only made 43 games on a three year contract?? most subs says it all for me.

In fairness Owen probably produced more consistantly and over a longer period that Rooney has.

Lets just set Holloway on him.

James70
21-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Manchester City will never be the big club in Manchester. Despite all their huge spending there were plenty of empty seats in the stadium tonight. If that had been Old Trafford and United the ground would have been virtually full. I doubt if City can ever attract the crowds that regularly watch Utd.

Sir David Gray
21-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Manchester City will never be the big club in Manchester. Despite all their huge spending there were plenty of empty seats in the stadium tonight. If that had been Old Trafford and United the ground would have been virtually full. I doubt if City can ever attract the crowds that regularly watch Utd.

:agree: There will never be 75,000 people going to watch Manchester City every other week.

The fact of the matter is, Manchester United is a global brand whilst Manchester City, on the other hand, is simply a football club that has been lucky enough to attract rich owners.

Manchester City will never be a bigger club than Manchester United, no matter who they buy or how much they pay for them.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2010, 08:40 AM
:agree: There will never be 75,000 people going to watch Manchester City every other week.

The fact of the matter is, Manchester United is a global brand whilst Manchester City, on the other hand, is simply a football club that has been lucky enough to attract rich owners.

Manchester City will never be a bigger club than Manchester United, no matter who they buy or how much they pay for them.

You might be right there, but i'd wager a bet that city are a more successful club over the next few years.

Stevie Reid
22-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Pardon? Rooney has scored 26 goals in 67 appearances for England - 92 in 193 for Manchester United.

He hasn't come out of this episode at all well, and he is massively off form at the moment - but let's not tell lies about his level of ability.

And yes, he's a far better all round player at 24 than Michael Owen has ever been.

Sir David Gray
22-10-2010, 09:00 AM
You might be right there, but i'd wager a bet that city are a more successful club over the next few years.

We'll just have to wait and see about that.

I would agree that Man Utd's future will be a little uncertain once Ferguson leaves as he has been such a massive part of their success over the past 20 years or so. If it hadn't been for him, they probably would not be the team, or club, that they are today.

I have a feeling, though, that Mourinho will take over at Old Trafford when Ferguson eventually does go and I feel that he is probably the only man on the planet who would be capable of even coming close to replacing Ferguson.

As for City being a more successful side over the next few years, I wouldn't be so sure. They have spent well over £200 million in the past couple of years and have won absolutely nothing yet.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2010, 09:11 AM
We'll just have to wait and see about that.
I'm prepared to wager a bet they will :wink:
I would agree that Man Utd's future will be a little uncertain once Ferguson leaves as he has been such a massive part of their success over the past 20 years or so. If it hadn't been for him, they probably would not be the team, or club, that they are today.
Ferguson is managing with one hand possibly two tied behind his back. There is little money for him to spend compared to the other big clubs, with no chance of that changing soon.
I have a feeling, though, that Mourinho will take over at Old Trafford when Ferguson eventually does go and I feel that he is probably the only man on the planet who would be capable of even coming close to replacing Ferguson.
Jose wont sign for a club with no money to spend, he did his apprenticeship at porto, why would he leave a club that can buy Ronaldo from a club that cant afford to keep Ronaldo?
As for City being a more successful side over the next few years, I wouldn't be so sure. They have spent well over £200 million in the past couple of years and have won absolutely nothing yet.

City were miles behind United before the new men came in with the money. They had to spend money to catch up. Looks to me they have caught up now, and they are not going to stop are they? How can United compete? City will outspend United ten fold, there's only one way United are going, there squad is weaker than ever. Scholes Giggs Van der sar Rooney will be gone this time next season. Ferdinand is not the player he was, the teams in decline, with little money to put that right. Rooney's right.

khib70
22-10-2010, 09:36 AM
City were miles behind United before the new men came in with the money. They had to spend money to catch up. Looks to me they have caught up now, and they are not going to stop are they? How can United compete? City will outspend United ten fold, there's only one way United are going, there squad is weaker than ever. Scholes Giggs Van der sar Rooney will be gone this time next season. Ferdinand is not the player he was, the teams in decline, with little money to put that right. Rooney's right.
:agree:Nail on head, BH.

Nice to see the rags tossing the toys out of the pram now that the days of using their financial clout to dominate the Premiership are over. The sheer hypocrisy of people who were quite happy to see Chelski and Manure flaunt their cash, but won't accept City doing it because they're not in the "Big Clubs Club" is pathetic to watch.

bawheid
22-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Personally think I'll take great joy in watching the demise of Manchester United. I think all of the Man Utd fans crowing about Liverpool's situation are in for a bit of a fright. Liverpool have now removed all of their acquisition debt whereas the Glazers have totally screwed United's finances up.

It'll be City and Chelsea and maybe Arsenal for the foreseeable.

Expecting Rain
22-10-2010, 09:46 AM
:agree:Nail on head, BH.

Nice to see the rags tossing the toys out of the pram now that the days of using their financial clout to dominate the Premiership are over. The sheer hypocrisy of people who were quite happy to see Chelski and Manure flaunt their cash, but won't accept City doing it because they're not in the "Big Clubs Club" is pathetic to watch.

Imagine the quotes from Lennon and Uncle Walter, if some wealthy businessman came in to back Hibs and created a superstar select and a fanbase in the far east, could this be their response.:boo hoo:

HibbyAndy
22-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Personally think I'll take great joy in watching the demise of Manchester United. I think all of the Man Utd fans crowing about Liverpool's situation are in for a bit of a fright. Liverpool have now removed all of their acquisition debt whereas the Glazers have totally screwed United's finances up.

:agree:

Cannae wait, The end is near :pray:

southfieldhibby
22-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Liverpool have no debt to RBS, but the new owner will want it back, over a period of time.Hedge funds dont do charity, so NESV will be looking for their money back and a wee bit more.

Expecting Rain
22-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Fabien Barthez

Honours at Man Utd

Two Premiership titles

Honours after leaving

Nothing

David Beckham

Honours at Man Utd

Six Premiership titles
Two FA Cups
1 Champions League title
1 Intercontinental Cup
4 Community Shields
1 Youth Cup

Honours after leaving

1 La Liga title
1 Spanish Super Cup
1 Western Conference

Andy Cole

Honours at Man Utd

5 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
2 FA Cups
2 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 League Cup

Roy Keane

Honours at Man Utd

7 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
4 FA Cups
4 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cups

Honours after leaving

1 SPL title
1 Scottish League Cup

Phil Neville

Honours at Man Utd

6 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
3 FA Cups
3 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Mikael Silvestre

Honours at Man Utd

4 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 English League Cup
2 Community Shields
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Jaap Stam

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

1 Coppa Italia
1 Supercoppa Italia
2 Dutch Super Cups
1 Dutch Cup

Dwight Yorke

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

Honours after leaving

Diego Forlan

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 FA Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

1 Intertoto Cup
1 Europa League
1 European Super Cup

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 FA Cup
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

2 La Liga titles
1 Spanish Super Cup

Cristiano Ronaldo

Honours at Man Utd

3 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 FA Cup
2 English League Cups
1 Community Shield
1 Club World Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

Gerard Pique

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title
1 Champions League title
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield

Honours after leaving

2 La Liga titles
1 Champions League title
1 Spanish Cup
2 Spanish Super Cups
1 European Super Cup
1 Club World Cup

Gabriel Heinze

Honours at Man Utd

1 Premiership title

Honours after leaving

1 La Liga title
1 Spanish Super Cup
1 Ligue 1 title
1 Coupe de la Ligue

Carlos Tevez

Honours at Man Utd

2 Premiership titles
1 Champions League title
1 English League Cup
1 Community Shield
1 Club World Cup

Honours after leaving

Nothing

At what cost, all these trophies?:cool2:

Gatecrasher
22-10-2010, 11:40 AM
This whole saga just proves to me that football players are so far out of touch its unthinkable.

in the same week Rooney is moaning at not getting 200-250 thousand per week the Government announce up to 490,000 jobs will be lost.

Football players (especially the very greedy lot like Rooney) have to realise there is a recession on and there isnt as much income coming into clubs as there was 5 years ago.

im no losing much sleep over your wages Wayne :rolleyes:

Most folk would give so much to be in half the posistion he's in never mind wanting more.

Albion Hibs
22-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Pardon? Rooney has scored 26 goals in 67 appearances for England - 92 in 193 for Manchester United.

He hasn't come out of this episode at all well, and he is massively off form at the moment - but let's not tell lies about his level of ability.

And yes, he's a far better all round player at 24 than Michael Owen has ever been.

How many of those England goals have come in competitive games, or WC/European Cup finals? Scoring in a friendly against Honduras at Wembly does not count for much. Fact of the matter has he has not produced for England, at any significant level and certainly nowhere near the same contribution other so called "world class" players make.

Owen must have moved to Madrid at around the age of 24, to a team that was one of the best I have seen in my lifetime. So I dont really accept far better, let alone better.

Happy of course to agree to disagree, I do see that he has managed to wangle himself a new contract.

Sir David Gray
22-10-2010, 01:27 PM
How many of those England goals have come in competitive games, or WC/European Cup finals? Scoring in a friendly against Honduras at Wembly does not count for much. Fact of the matter has he has not produced for England, at any significant level and certainly nowhere near the same contribution other so called "world class" players make.

Owen must have moved to Madrid at around the age of 24, to a team that was one of the best I have seen in my lifetime. So I dont really accept far better, let alone better.

Happy of course to agree to disagree, I do see that he has managed to wangle himself a new contract.

18 of his 26 England goals have come in competitive matches.

ScottB
22-10-2010, 05:00 PM
18 of his 26 England goals have come in competitive matches.

He did go 2 years without scoring for them though, and has scored one goal (a penalty) since March...