PDA

View Full Version : The Best of Times & Worst of Times...

St.Kristopher
19-10-2010, 11:28 AM
to become a Hibs manager:

The Worst of Times

As a team we have been in free fall for the last year.
The majority of the team will be out of contract at the end of the season.

The Best of Times

Fan expectation is low and most will be willing to accept the most modest of turnarounds in from this season (which is still in a nascent stage).

Thoughts?

patlowe
19-10-2010, 12:44 PM
to become a Hibs manager:

The Worst of Times

As a team we have been in free fall for the last year.

The Best of Times

Fan expectation is low and most will be willing to accept the most modest of turnarounds in from this season (which is still in a nascent stage).

Thoughts?

I think all of your points suggest that this is a very good time to take over at Hibs. Apart from the infrastructure being just about complete, CC takes over when it can't really get much worse performance/results wise. We're not going to get relegated and most would accept that we are probably not good enough to challenge for europe, therefore he will get a free pass this season. Come next summer he can completely build his own team and only then can he really be judged. It's all there for him, let's just hope he has what it takes.

sahib
20-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I think all of your points suggest that this is a very good time to take over at Hibs. Apart from the infrastructure being just about complete, CC takes over when it can't really get much worse performance/results wise. We're not going to get relegated and most would accept that we are probably not good enough to challenge for europe, therefore he will get a free pass this season. Come next summer he can completely build his own team and only then can he really be judged. It's all there for him, let's just hope he has what it takes.

I am reluctant to accept that at this stage of the season. Who is very much better?

patlowe
20-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I am reluctant to accept that at this stage of the season. Who is very much better?

Without looking at the league table I'd suggest that Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Hearts are better sides at the moment. While I'm fully aware that the tightness of the league demonstrates that we can beat anyone outside of the OF on our day, there are very few games in the SPL that I am confident hibs are going to win. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing that has happened in 2010 to suggest Hibs can challenge, particularly minus Stokes' goals. By all means list some reasons why they can, we definitely need positivity, I'm just particularly apathetic at the moment. I suppose Duffy and Zemmama returning to fitness might provide a bit of spark creatively.

Stevie Reid
20-10-2010, 11:01 AM
The immediate target has to be getting in the top 6 IMO - Aberdeen showed in the two season before last that once you're in there, anything can happen.

sahib
20-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Without looking at the league table I'd suggest that Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Hearts are better sides at the moment. While I'm fully aware that the tightness of the league demonstrates that we can beat anyone outside of the OF on our day, there are very few games in the SPL that I am confident hibs are going to win. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing that has happened in 2010 to suggest Hibs can challenge, particularly minus Stokes' goals. By all means list some reasons why they can, we definitely need positivity, I'm just particularly apathetic at the moment. I suppose Duffy and Zemmama returning to fitness might provide a bit of spark creatively.

As I said at the time, the Killie game proved you don't have to be Barca to win games in the SPL. If CC can get us organised then there are plenty games left to finish 3rd. I am not saying we will, just that it is too early to go throwing in the towel. We need more striking options and the defence has not really had a settled look and our midfield lacks invention, we have no width or real pace, but hey, we have a new man in charge.