PDA

View Full Version : ** First Impressions Of CC **

Leithenhibby
19-10-2010, 08:27 AM
It has to be said that CC has a much better tone with the press than JH ever had and I'm looking froward to the weeks ahead. For me he comes across as a coach that will have a laugh and some banter!!, but, I wouldn't cross him :cool2:
His interview on the BBC, I thought was very good, no smart ar$e comments and just answered all the questions with a smile on his face. Long may that continue :wink:

So, all in all, I'm happy to stand back and enjoy the ride :greengrin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9102714.stm

GloryGlory
19-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Got that impression, too - maybe, a wee bit more on the reserved and serious side. Unlike Yogi's playing to the gallery, and playing the clown which did get to grate a bit, TBH.

Can't see CC putting up with players walking off the training pitch, or refusing to sit on the bench.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-10-2010, 09:52 AM
the jurys out on this one im afraid

Leithenhibby
19-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Everyone has His/Her thoughts on this matter and yes, we will just have to wait and see what develops, but I'm more optimistic this time round.. I never wanted JH..

With the expectations so high IF Steve Clarke was going to get this job, the only way was down :cool2:

With CC the only way is up :agree:

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please everyone all of the time" ... Ma Granny :wink:

ScottB
19-10-2010, 10:11 AM
This article http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Calderwood-wants-to-lead-Hibs.6587709.jp suggests to me that we could be in for a spell of eye bleeding football.

But hey, it's not been pretty at ER for a long time, so I suppose if we actually start winning I can live with that. But it does strike me as a strange gamble for Petrie to make, at a time when we need as many fans turning up as possible, to appoint a manager whose philosophy goes against what the majority of the fans want / hope to see.

Time will tell really.

GreenPJ
19-10-2010, 10:11 AM

How can the jury be out when there is nothing to judge him on yet (other than a TV interview).

Leithenhibby
19-10-2010, 10:19 AM
This article http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Calderwood-wants-to-lead-Hibs.6587709.jp suggests to me that we could be in for a spell of eye bleeding football.
But hey, it's not been pretty at ER for a long time, so I suppose if we actually start winning I can live with that. But it does strike me as a strange gamble for Petrie to make, at a time when we need as many fans turning up as possible, to appoint a manager whose philosophy goes against what the majority of the fans want / hope to see.

Time will tell really.

What do you mean, could be. We have been absolutely atrocious for months, and months . :agree:

ScottB
19-10-2010, 10:21 AM
What do you mean, could be. We have been absolutely atrocious for months, and months . :agree:

Very much so. May as well be honest about it, and if he can make us tough to beat and more likely to win, so be it!

Our prettiest stuff under Mowbray won hee haw after all :devil:

MarkGilchimp
19-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Teams need to play ugly at times. How frustrating was the second half of the Hamilton game when we couldn't get the ball out of our own half - we were getting murdered in mid field but just kepy trying to pass our way through? There are times like that when you put on another big man up front and try route one.

Very much so. May as well be honest about it, and if he can make us tough to beat and more likely to win, so be it!

Purehibee_MYB
19-10-2010, 10:29 AM
He wasn't my personal choice for manager but I am really liking what he has to say at the moment because its honest...

He knows he has a tough set of games coming up and is realistic in what he says about results wanting to ebb and flow... And he realises if we get some sort of consistency in results then that is when the fans will get behind him.

I realise Hughes had positive, convincing words when he first came in and it worked for the first 6 months or so of his tenure, but right now I am reasonably happy with the appointment of Calderwood, and if he can get some sense of consistency in the Hibs team then that will be even better.

Lets start with 3 points on saturday!

GGTTH

Leithenhibby
19-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Very true :wink:

If we hibbies thought that for one moment that SC would have turned this round overnight then they are as deluded as our ugly neighbourers..

I suspect that the footie will be hard to watch at times, but as long as we get the 3 points then I can live with that for a while, no too long tho.. :greengrin

Hibee Daz
19-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Isn't it always when it comes to new managerial appointments, people need to be patient and give the guy a chance. He is by far and away the most experienced manager we've had in a long time, so I think people will be pleasantly surprised with what he achieves if they remain realistic!

:notworthy:

ScottB
19-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Very true :wink:

If we hibbies thought that for one moment that SC would have turned this round overnight then they are as deluded as our ugly neighbourers..

I suspect that the footie will be hard to watch at times, but as long as we get the 3 points then I can live with that for a while, no too long tho.. :greengrin

Yeah, I think that, over the long term, Clarke may have been the more interesting option, but short term Calderwood is probably better placed to come in and shore things up, which is probably what we need more than anything else right now.

Sir David Gray
19-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree with what Calderwood says in that article. First and foremost, you need to try and win the game. If you do that, then you can start to think about the fancy stuff. Football is all about scoring goals and picking up three points. I'd be wary of saying that we played silky football under Hughes but his approach was undoubtedly to play the passing game and that resulted in us having our worst ever run of results at Easter Road in our entire history.

If we become hard to beat and are regularly in the top three or four, I honestly don't think I'll care how we play.

As long as he doesn't adopt the 4-6-0 formation at Hibs, I'll be happy to see a more defensive-minded approach taken.

Let's be honest, the football and the results surely can't get any worse than they have been over the past three years or so, so if we can get a bit of consistency on the results side of things then that will be progress for me.

aberhibsfc
19-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Wouldn't have been my choice, now he's there he's got my full backing. It won't take much to get me excited, because just about anything is an improvement on the fare we've been subjected to.

I really hope he has the tools, drive, contacts and financial support to achieve his ambitions for this fine club.

EskbankHibby
19-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Feeling a bit more positive today about CC's appointment.

I had allowed my head to be turned by rumours on here and elsewhere about the Clarke/Stark 'dream team' and when that didn't materialise anything else would have been a disappointment. This is a totally jambo-esque process though and i would like to formally distance myself from it today.

The excitement around Clarke was based around his previous associations with 'exciting' football men like Mourinho and Zola, his complete lack of any managerial experience and a salary probably outwith our means didn't dull the excitement any.

CC has managerial experience and successful experience at that so i look forward to backing him in the coming weeks, months and hopefully years.

We wanted Clarke but got Calderwood, could be worse, we could have wanted Gullit but got Rix.

Leithenhibby
19-10-2010, 11:04 AM
QUOTE=EskbankHibby;2611638]Feeling a bit more positive today about CC's appointment.

I had allowed my head to be turned by rumours on here and elsewhere about the Clarke/Stark 'dream team' and when that didn't materialise anything else would have been a disappointment. This is a totally jambo-esque process though and i would like to formally distance myself from it today.

The excitement around Clarke was based around his previous associations with 'exciting' football men like Mourinho and Zola, his complete lack of any managerial experience and a salary probably outwith our means didn't dull the excitement any.

CC has managerial experience and successful experience at that so i look forward to backing him in the coming weeks, months and hopefully years.

We wanted Clarke but got Calderwood, could be worse, we could have wanted Gullit but got Rix.[/QUOTE]

Better the devil you know... :greengrin

I think that a good few, if not most Hibbies will be thinking along the same lines :cool2: Well I would hope so. SC has gone, IF he was ever going to be here!! and we just have to get behind the new boss.

What ever happened to the "stand Up And Be Counted" attitude.. :thumbsup:

YehButNoBut
19-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Andy Kirk, current Dunfermline & ex Jambo, who worked with him at Northampton has praise for him. Also doesn't sound like he is too defensive minded according to him.

"As a manager, he was one of the best I've worked with," continued Kirk. "He's one of those coaches who inspires a lot of confidence in you. He makes you feel important in his plans. At Northampton, there wasn't one player who disliked him. He's a really likeable guy and one of those who you want to go out and play for.

"Normally at a club, you get one or two players who don't like the way the manager plays or how he does things. But when I worked with him, everybody enjoyed his training, we all enjoyed coming in and getting stuck in each day.

"He gets involved in training and he's played at the highest level. He knows what he's talking about. The training sessions he put on were very good and I have a lot of respect for him.

"He's a football man. We used to do a lot of stuff in training based on team shape and how we wanted to play. The players he brought to Northampton were all good footballers because he wanted us to get the ball down and pass it. He's quite attack-minded and, once he puts his stamp on things, I think the Hibs fans will enjoy the way he wants them to play."

Although amiable, Kirk was quick to point out the rugged side of Calderwood's nature. "He's an honest guy, but he can be hard as well. He won't settle for things not going right. Overall, I really enjoyed my time playing under him."

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Former-Jambo-says-new-boss.6588206.jp

RyeSloan
19-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree with what Calderwood says in that article. First and foremost, you need to try and win the game. If you do that, then you can start to think about the fancy stuff. Football is all about scoring goals and picking up three points. I'd be wary of saying that we played silky football under Hughes but his approach was undoubtedly to play the passing game and that resulted in us having our worst ever run of results at Easter Road in our entire history.

If we become hard to beat and are regularly in the top three or four, I honestly don't think I'll care how we play.

As long as he doesn't adopt the 4-6-0 formation at Hibs, I'll be happy to see a more defensive-minded approach taken.

Let's be honest, the football and the results surely can't get any worse than they have been over the past three years or so, so if we can get a bit of consistency on the results side of things then that will be progress for me.

Apart from when we couldn't get into the top 6 consistently for years and years and of course were relegated.

I get yer drift but I see fat too much hyperbole like this on .net...sure we should all expect the best for Hibs but to say things couldn't get any worse than the last 3 years is just BS....they have been much much worse before.

Craig_in_Prague
19-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Apart from when we couldn't get into the top 6 consistently for years and years and of course were relegated.

I get yer drift but I see fat too much hyperbole like this on .net...sure we should all expect the best for Hibs but to say things couldn't get any worse than the last 3 years is just BS....they have been much much worse before.

Agreed, that some people seem to forget many years of paul tosh.
Play-offs the season before actual relegation etc.

Although too be honest, given the tightening of finances pretty much across the board (there's exceptions, taking!), the fact Hibs have a fantastic training facility and such a good infrastructure now, it seems that we "should" be at worse around mid table.
For all Yogi/Collins/Mixu bashers, they're league positions weren't disastrous by any stretch of the imagination, but as mentioned, with the position the club is in and the fact these 3 were deemed failures (in the end), it's natural we're all expecting some improvement.

Andy74
19-10-2010, 11:19 AM
To be fair I haven't seen him say he won't try and play good football, he did say that winning was the main thing though and we'd probably all agree with that.

Funny though that John Hughes won games without it being brilliant for about 7 months but that wasn't accepted all that well so we'll see.

Following the Collins, Mixu, Hughes talk a good game about flowing football without looking close to doing it I'll take what I can get now and would accept that I've changed my mind a wee bit about how we need to go on from here.

euro Hibby
19-10-2010, 11:28 AM
its often aquestion of players or raw materials. This bunch got a lucky 4th spot and we have since got shot of our 20 goal striker with no replacement. At the moment Hibs will do well to get 6th spot. Anyway, lets give the man until Christmas before calling a cat a kettle. As pointed out, it will be great not to hear any after game drivel .............

Craig_in_Prague
19-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Like his comments at the end of the latest scotsman/eve news report:

"I think that confidence will ebb and flow during a game, never mind across a whole season. I have got to have the players in a position where they have the mentality where they have a freedom in their play and a freedom to express themselves.

"As long as they do that, at the same time as showing their passion and their commitment to the supporters, I think that will pull us in the right direction."

The way he talks really shows he's played and managed at good levels.
Very realistic, professional attitude. Liking him a lot already. :agree:
I know not even 1 day has gone by with him in the job, but I can see how having appointed someone without the Hibs connection, as well as someone with good, successful experience in management, is the path we needed to do down, and I am glad we're now on that path.

Phil MaGlass
19-10-2010, 11:40 AM
LET ME BE THE FIRT TO SAY

"I WILL GIVE HIM UPTIL XMAS" :greengrin
:offski: also insert"get ma hat" smiley

GloryGlory
19-10-2010, 11:45 AM

:agree: If CC improves our attitude and organisation, and we start getting winning results regularly against the St Mirrens, Hamiltons, ICTs, St Johnstones and Kilmarnocks of this world (no offense), then that will be a giant step in the right direction. Push on from there, but it's no use having a team that puts 100% effort in when playing Rantic or Hearts, then doesn't turn up when the rest of the SPL comes calling.

Green_one
19-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I am warming to him

He is tough , knows his stuff and has broad contacts

I hate this - 'not going to play the Hibs way'. The current Hibs way is losing most games and our players seem incapable of playing any decent football. Certainly defending is a joke.

Lets see what he does first. I would be content if he played ugly initially to get the points and confidence we so need.

Lets win first and worry about the rest later.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-10-2010, 12:00 PM
its so easy to catch fish on hibs.net

Dinkydoo
19-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Time will tell really.

Opposed to appointing a manager under the promise of delivering slick passing and beautiful football. Only for the manager and players to fail to deliver and as a result, have wasted training sessions. Which ultimately leads to the team not performing at all and struggling to pick up a win home or away irrespective of the opposition.

Been there, done that, time for something new.

Which is exactly what CC is IMO.

The_Horde
19-10-2010, 12:28 PM
It sounds to me like he's leaving the fans to decide what his style is. Keeping his cards close to his chest.

Does Walter Smith ever state what type of football rangers play?

basehibby
19-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Time will tell really.

I don't really agree that's the case - he said his priority is to win games which I don't have a problem with.

Hibee Daz
19-10-2010, 01:07 PM
;2611763']It sounds to me like he's leaving the fans to decide what his style is. Keeping his cards close to his chest.

Does Walter Smith ever state what type of football rangers play?

No, because it's plainly apparent that it's the cheating diving ******* kind!:grr:

The_Horde
19-10-2010, 01:22 PM
No, because it's plainly apparent that it's the cheating diving ******* kind!:grr:

Alright then, okay.. What about Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City.. etc

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2010, 01:41 PM
To be fair I haven't seen him say he won't try and play good football, he did say that winning was the main thing though and we'd probably all agree with that.

Funny though that John Hughes won games without it being brilliant for about 7 months but that wasn't accepted all that well so we'll see.

Following the Collins, Mixu, Hughes talk a good game about flowing football without looking close to doing it I'll take what I can get now and would accept that I've changed my mind a wee bit about how we need to go on from here.

That was because we were lucky in 1 maybe 2 of those games we won. Calderwood has a very difficult job.

Leithenhibby
19-10-2010, 03:18 PM
That was because we were lucky in 1 maybe 2 of those games we won. Calderwood has a very difficult job.

That he does, but I think once the dust has settled and we see what he is trying to do, I feel we will come good. I know it's all ifs, butt's and maybes, but we shall just have to jump on board and ride with it.. I just pray we get there soon..

JimBHibees
19-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I wonder if CC would consider trying to nick Kirk from the Pars, think he is the short of pacy striker we need.

Leithenhibby
20-10-2010, 05:46 AM
I wonder if CC would consider trying to nick Kirk from the Pars, think he is the short of pacy striker we need.

I'm sure he will have his own ideas, but I'm not so sure about going to the 1st Div to get players as we have tried and failed in the past.. :cool2:

Looking like Man U have a striker thats looking for a fresh challenge.. :devil:

Kaiser1962
20-10-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm sure he will have his own ideas, but I'm not so sure about going to the 1st Div to get players as we have tried and failed in the past.. :cool2:

Show some ambition man! Not hibs class anyway................

J-C
20-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Gained some good experience down south and hopefully has learned from his mistakes at Northhampton and Nottingham F, his time at NUFC should stand him in good stead and he seems to stand for no nonsense either. He doesn't state what style of football he adopts, his tems certainly looked a bit more defensive than attacking but surely the main thing is we start to get a winning mentality back and if not conceding goals is where we have to start then all very well. All too often I've heard about Hibs style of football, which was played back in the 50's and during Turnbull's era, those days are long gone and we have to be a bit more realistic here, playing decent football, playing to our strength's and getting results are more important that pretty passing football.

dangermouse
20-10-2010, 09:35 AM

He's not fit to lace Riordan's boots :greengrin

Stevie Reid
20-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Calderwood in today's EN: -

"So, at the moment, it is all about who is already here and each and every single one of them having a right good go at getting into the team."

Calm down everyone!

Leithenhibby
20-10-2010, 06:32 PM

As I said in my post, We have bought 1st Div players before and it has cost us big time.. :cool2:

Personally, I wouldn't touch 1st Div players, but perhaps thats just me :wink:

Dashing Bob S
21-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Wasn't my choice at all as manager, in fact I sulked and pouted and refused to eat my porridge for a couple of days when he was appointed.

Now, of course, he was obviously my first choice all along and an instant cult hero.

Cup bag is Scottish the in the.

Sergey
21-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Wasn't my choice at all as manager, in fact I sulked and pouted and refused to eat my porridge for a couple of days when he was appointed.

Now, of course, he was obviously my first choice all along and an instant cult hero.

Cup bag is Scottish the in the.

What I couldn't help but notice, Bob, was the quality of tailoring of CC's whistle.

As you and I are aware, a bespoke fitted suit is the mark of a successful gentleman and there is no better way than purchasing a suit that is specifically created for the wearer.

It looked as though CC was adorning a bespoke Max Hence of London, which is the perfect choice for the discerning gentleman.

I'm quietly confident that CC won't let the side down in the sartorial stakes :thumbsup:

.Sean.
21-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Quite possibly uglier than Fulton! :agree: