PDA

View Full Version : The Legend that is Colin Calderwood

Swindonfan
18-10-2010, 11:37 PM
I like every swindon fan LOVE colin calderwood. He would be right up there in the top 3 best players we ever had. And we have had some good ones. Signed for us when he was maybe just 20 from mansfield and made Captain straight away. He led us to promotion to the premier league before jumping ship to Spurs, something we all knew he deserved. This guy is a winner. A very dertermined guy and a very nice guy.

So if managers learn from the managers they played under, what are you going to get.

Well under Lou Macari he was as fit a player as you could ever find. Under Lou they had to be. So he knows the fitness side of things.

Then followed Ossie Ardiles. The best footballing swindon team i will ever see. And under both colin was capatain. So he also learnt under a very pass minded coach. Under Ossie we played the diamond formation.

Then came Glenn Hoddle. So at swindon alone colin has learnt under some very good coaches. If he could get Hibs passing the ball like Ossies team you would LOVE the guy. Thou the players have to be able to do that.

He may bring david Kerslake with him to hibs i dont know if he has or not yet. Played with him at swindon and at spurs. Was his assistant at Northampton and at Forest. He was youth team manager at spurs before going to Northampton. Took 3 goes to get forest up, but i dont think they really backed him money wise when they got into the championship.

He will have good links with clubs in england. Should have a good idea as he scouted alot for newcastle on players in the english lower leagues. I suggested Colin before Hughes took over, so really hope this is a good match up and colin can do really well for Hibs. Im sure come January there will be some loans from Newcastle and maybe some other big EPL clubs.

His nick name at Swindon was " Fridge" cos he was built like one and ate alot i think. Hope he can keep his cool and bring some Hibs class back to the easter road pitch.

I know some of you are underwhelmed. But look on the positives. He has achieved as a manager already with 2 promotions. He has very good contacts in the game who could help him with some decent loans, and even some heads up on good young players being released.

He has no Hibs connections at all. So is a clean slate for him. And hes new to the SPL, so not the normal merry go round that seems to go on. So hopefully he will bring something new. At swindon the guy is a legend. Heres hoping he can become something of the same at Hibs. Look after him.

jonny
18-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I like every swindon fan LOVE colin calderwood. He would be right up there in the top 3 best players we ever had. And we have had some good ones. Signed for us when he was maybe just 20 from mansfield and made Captain straight away. He led us to promotion to the premier league before jumping ship to Spurs, something we all knew he deserved. This guy is a winner. A very dertermined guy and a very nice guy.

So if managers learn from the managers they played under, what are you going to get.

Well under Lou Macari he was as fit a player as you could ever find. Under Lou they had to be. So he knows the fitness side of things.

Then followed Ossie Ardiles. The best footballing swindon team i will ever see. And under both colin was capatain. So he also learnt under a very pass minded coach. Under Ossie we played the diamond formation.

Then came Glenn Hoddle. So at swindon alone colin has learnt under some very good coaches. If he could get Hibs passing the ball like Ossies team you would LOVE the guy. Thou the players have to be able to do that.

He may bring david Kerslake with him to hibs i dont know if he has or not yet. Played with him at swindon and at spurs. Was his assistant at Northampton and at Forest. He was youth team manager at spurs before going to Northampton. Took 3 goes to get forest up, but i dont think they really backed him money wise when they got into the championship.

He will have good links with clubs in england. Should have a good idea as he scouted alot for newcastle on players in the english lower leagues. I suggested Colin before Hughes took over, so really hope this is a good match up and colin can do really well for Hibs. Im sure come January there will be some loans from Newcastle and maybe some other big EPL clubs.

His nick name at Swindon was " Fridge" cos he was built like one and ate alot i think. Hope he can keep his cool and bring some Hibs class back to the easter road pitch.

I know some of you are underwhelmed. But look on the positives. He has achieved as a manager already with 2 promotions. He has very good contacts in the game who could help him with some decent loans, and even some heads up on good young players being released.

He has no Hibs connections at all. So is a clean slate for him. And hes new to the SPL, so not the normal merry go round that seems to go on. So hopefully he will bring something new. At swindon the guy is a legend. Heres hoping he can become something of the same at Hibs. Look after him.

:thumbsup:
Good post. Wouldn't have been my 1st choice, largely because I know very little about him. Will get right behind him though.
GGTTH

matty_f
18-10-2010, 11:47 PM

:thumbsup:Good to see a post that comes from a more detached view. Good reading.:agree:

NOLA
18-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Very good insight , thank you :top marks heres hoping for the best, lets face it when mowbray got the job people were dismayed, I for 1 think this could be a really good appointment.

greenlex
19-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Get away with ye. can we not just moan a bit longer.

Septimus
19-10-2010, 06:16 AM
The important thing is that a man like this WANTS the job. We will see what he brings to Hibs in due course.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-10-2010, 08:04 AM
We'll take good care of you
Calderwood
Calderwood

haagsehibby
19-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Thank you Mrs Calderwood !! I hope your son does well too.

Hillsidehibby
19-10-2010, 09:17 AM
More importantly, what team does he support? :grr:

:wink:

--------
19-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Hibee Daz
19-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks very much for the insight buddy.:thumbsup:

ancienthibby
19-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Another positive endorsement of our new manager - this time from a player!!

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Former-Jambo-says-new-boss.6588206.jp?articlepage=2
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
19-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Good OP - cheers :thumbsup:

Bookkeeper
19-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Starting to like Calderwood already. Heres hoping....

3pm
19-10-2010, 11:54 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9104362.stm

:agree:

Ritchie
19-10-2010, 11:59 AM

im guessing your top 3 is:-

1. Alan O'Brien
2. Alan O'Brien
3. Colin Calderwood

:wink:

Swindonfan
19-10-2010, 05:30 PM
alan o'brien is not very popular here to be honest. most fans think he should have done athletics as he can run but is rubbish with the ball. My actual favourite ex swindon play is Duncan Shearer, who could be part of Calderwoods coaching team. Someone he knows very well who has knowledge of the SPL. Could coach strikers to.

Top 3 town players could come from Hoddle, Hazard, Shearer, Moncur, Jan Fjortoft, Sam parkin ( yeah the one with st jonhston now, but a shadow of what he was before his ankle injury).

wonder if Nial Ranger could be a possible loan from newcastle to hibs in jan ?

3pm
19-10-2010, 05:35 PM
alan o'brien is not very popular here to be honest. most fans think he should have done athletics as he can run but is rubbish with the ball. My actual favourite ex swindon play is Duncan Shearer, who could be part of Calderwoods coaching team. Someone he knows very well who has knowledge of the SPL. Could coach strikers to.

Top 3 town players could come from Hoddle, Hazard, Shearer, Moncur, Jan Fjortoft, Sam parkin ( yeah the one with st jonhston now, but a shadow of what he was before his ankle injury).

:faf:

Andy74
19-10-2010, 05:48 PM

O'brien just needs a run of games. He'll come good.

Ray_
19-10-2010, 05:53 PM

What about the talisman that was Don Rogers, surely a legend in Swindon?

Cropley10
19-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Which Hazard was that?

Swindonfan
19-10-2010, 06:01 PM
im not that old to have seen the don play. have to go from Lou Macari's time onwards.

O'brien cant stay fit. He has to nurse himself now in some way. He only seems to be able to run in straight lines, but he has to line himself up first. His anticipation is pants. He did have 2 or 3 starts at start of season and had two or three good runs. But he doesnt do anything inbetween. Sadly for him the boo boys are after him now. At a game a few weeks back the guy in front of me almost had a heart attack when he got up and shouted " for ........ sake run you lazy b......."
We have now brought Matt Ritchie a left winger back on loan from porstsmouth. So A0B is down the pecking order again. I cant understand why we signed him, or when we got to see him play as hes never fit. Maybe we were after stevenson and Petrie did a switch on us.

Swindonfan
19-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Micky Hazard. A really top class player. Can remember an away game v Charlton at west hams ground, where the whole away support was singing his name and while holding off 2 charlton players and going at what for his was full speed, he still managed to put his hand up to acknowlege the fans. used to go round in circles at times but a very very good footballer.

Cropley10
19-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Micky Hazard. A really top class player. Can remember an away game v Charlton at west hams ground, where the whole away support was singing his name and while holding off 2 charlton players and going at what for his was full speed, he still managed to put his hand up to acknowlege the fans. used to go round in circles at times but a very very good footballer.

A long time ago I used to watch Micky play for Chelsea.... He was brilliant. :thumbsup:Whenever he got fouled the crowd would chant Speedie's going to get ya.

erin go bragh
19-10-2010, 07:11 PM

cracking post pal:top marks