PDA

View Full Version : Style of play

CB_NO3
18-10-2010, 07:51 PM
What style of play does Calderwood have his teams playing, is he an attacking minded coach or defensive?. I never really watched his teams play. Am guessing if he was involved with teams reaching the playoffs and gaining promotion, his teams must have scored goals at least.

bingo70
18-10-2010, 08:13 PM
What style of play does Calderwood have his teams playing, is he an attacking minded coach or defensive?. I never really watched his teams play. Am guessing if he was involved with teams reaching the playoffs and gaining promotion, his teams must have scored goals at least.

think it's a more defensive style as i read on here someone saying with Northampton they had something like 25 clean sheets in a season.

Obviously we'd all like to see a return of the attacking free flowing football but IMO with these players that ain't going to happen so a more sensible defensive style is probably whats best for us just now.

emmjayfox
18-10-2010, 08:14 PM
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFF :greengrin

Aitchy
18-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Quite defensive it seems. He was once slated for playing six defenders in a home game for Notts Forest against Bournemouth. It ended 0-0.

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Quite defensive it seems. He was once slated for playing six defenders in a home game for Notts Forest against Bournemouth. It ended 0-0.

I've no doubt that's right but if you weigh that against promotion with two sides as manager it kinda puts that incidence in perspective.

stubru59
18-10-2010, 08:35 PM
We've been going on for years about this free flowing attacking football we'd all like to see.

But we also want to see a situation where a visit to the likes of ICT worries them more than it worries us.

I'd rather come away from places like that with points in the bag, than the bragging rights of playing well and getting stuffed.

The manager will ultimately be judged on results. Its when the results go against you that most folk start questioning the style of play.

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 08:58 PM
We've been going on for years about this free flowing attacking football we'd all like to see.

But we also want to see a situation where a visit to the likes of ICT worries them more than it worries us.

I'd rather come away from places like that with points in the bag, than the bragging rights of playing well and getting stuffed.

The manager will ultimately be judged on results. Its when the results go against you that most folk start questioning the style of play.:agree:heard the comments about his defensive record with the cobblers,and to be honest it's quite impressive and a shade comforting that we now have a man that knows how to set out a hard rear back formation. a good defender,that has done it, and knows what's required for certain situations. I'm warming to him already:wink:

--------
18-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I've no doubt that's right but if you weigh that against promotion with two sides as manager it kinda puts that incidence in perspective.

:agree:

Once we're hard to beat, THEN we can start thinking about the fancy stuff.

If we're ever in the position of needing one point to qualify for Europe or whatever, I wouldn't complain about a 0-0 draw, boring as it might be.

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 09:00 PM
:agree:

Once we're hard to beat, THEN we can start thinking about the fancy stuff.

If we're ever in the position of needing one point to qualify for Europe or whatever, I wouldn't complain about a 0-0 draw, boring as it might be.

4-6-0 anyone? :greengrin

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 09:02 PM
NAH,6-4-0:greengrin

Westie1875
18-10-2010, 09:03 PM
4-6-0 anyone? :greengrin

Is that you Potter? GTF :greengrin

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Is that you Potter? GTF :greengrin

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> strops oot the door mumbling under his breath :greengrin

shagpile
18-10-2010, 09:20 PM
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFF :greengrin

Same as Mixu then? Though it must have something to do with the players at your disposal, because Killie most certainly didn't hooooof on Saturday!

stantonhibby
18-10-2010, 09:37 PM
No no no ..you're not getting away with that distortion of the facts... And you, someone I've considered to be a fair minded and reasonable kind of guy...:bitchy:

what - unlike you in your rather ironically titled ' i knew i was right ' thread ? quality

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 10:00 PM
No no no ..you're not getting away with that distortion of the facts... And you, someone I've considered to be a fair minded and reasonable kind of guy...:bitchy:

Distortion? Pointing out that a six man defence in one game does not maketh the man. Hardly distorted :wink:

calumb
18-10-2010, 10:15 PM

The manager will ultimately be judged on results. Its when the results go against you that most folk start questioning the style of play.

Exactly, for far too long this has not been the case. reckon he will have to ship most of the players to achieve it as i really think that they judge there success by putting on a good show against the old firm and dont care about losing to the rest. this seems to have been going on for nearly 10 years.

anon1
18-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Cautious, defensive 4-4-2 & 4-3-3 / 4-5-1

Alot of uncomfortable 1-0 wins / draws!

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 10:44 PM

That will do for me, i have seen too many performances that have been uncomfortable loses.

Sir David Gray
18-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Northampton's "goals for" and goals against" stats whilst Calderwood was their manager was as follows;

03/04 F-48 A-34 (Calderwood only took over in October of that season so that is over 34 games)
04/05 F-62 A-51
05/06 F-63 A-37

At Nottingham Forest, the stats are;

06/07 F-65 A-41
07/08 F-64 A-32
08/09 F-23 A-36 (Calderwood was sacked in December of that season so that is only over 25 games)

Northampton had 52 clean sheets in his time in charge there and Nottingham Forest had 55 clean sheets in Calderwood's time in charge with them.

Just some more useless information that some people might be interested in. :wink:

Vini1875
18-10-2010, 10:48 PM

I would happily take uncomfortable 1-0 wins for a wee while, say until about May. Hibs being hard to beat would be a novelty at the moment.

Manxhibs
18-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I would happily take uncomfortable 1-0 wins for a wee while, say until about May. Hibs being hard to beat would be a novelty at the moment.

Too true

Twiglet
18-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Some of out defenders are quite attacking so sticking 6 of them in a game could still get us a goal or 2. At least with 6 of them there would still be cover when other went running forward.

matty_f
18-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I hope he doesn't get caught up in this guff about free flowing, attacking football that has been bandied about by our last few managers, because none of them since Mowbray (Collins got a few good games, but some absolute pish ones as well) were capable of getting the team to produce anything remotely resembling free flowing, attacking football.

What we got was lots of sideways passes, and players that buckled as soon as they were put under pressure.

It's also meant over the last three seasons it's been near impossible to work out what our attacking strategy has been.

If Calderwood can make us hard to beat and have a clear idea of how we should attack, then the quality of football will improve from what we've been used to.

Hibbie_Cameron
18-10-2010, 11:20 PM
"Preferably, there has to be a pass. Not too many teams go direct time after time but it's the same old nonsense managers will spout. Everyone wants to play the pretty game but you've got to win."

This is a quote from CC and i must say i agree with him.

If he comes here and tries to play free flowing football than chances are he will end up like collins and hughes. If he sets us up to win games then he will be keeping himself in a job and Hibs will reap the benefit of it

Swindonfan
18-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Under lou macari at swindon Colin played in a team that was as fit as you will ever see. Run through brick walls kinda team. Scored lots of late goals cos they just never stopped running. Under Ardiles he played in the best footbaling team you could ever wish to see. Hibs class, i kid you not. So as a player he played in long ball teams, passing sides. In a diamond formation with full backs bombing on. After playing under Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle at swindon. And going on to Spurs and Villa im sure he had alot of good stuff to take from the coaches he played under. So im sure he will look at the players at hibs and play according to what he feels they are good at or not so good at. Then in january he will bring in players to fill the gaps as he sees things. As a player colin was a fitness fanatic. Had a knee injury while at swindon and i think any other player would have needed surgery. Not him, he got in the gym and made his leg so dam strong he didnt need the surgery. Was always a captain as a player. He can motivate for sure. He wont suffer slackers mind. ohh and Taxi for Nish :wink:

Saorsa
19-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Under lou macari at swindon Colin played in a team that was as fit as you will ever see. Run through brick walls kinda team. Scored lots of late goals cos they just never stopped running. Under Ardiles he played in the best footbaling team you could ever wish to see. Hibs class, i kid you not. So as a player he played in long ball teams, passing sides. In a diamond formation with full backs bombing on. After playing under Macari, Ardiles, Hoddle at swindon. And going on to Spurs and Villa im sure he had alot of good stuff to take from the coaches he played under. So im sure he will look at the players at hibs and play according to what he feels they are good at or not so good at. Then in january he will bring in players to fill the gaps as he sees things. As a player colin was a fitness fanatic. Had a knee injury while at swindon and i think any other player would have needed surgery. Not him, he got in the gym and made his leg so dam strong he didnt need the surgery. Was always a captain as a player. He can motivate for sure. He wont suffer slackers mind. ohh and Taxi for Nish :wink::thumbsup: :greengrin

I've read two of your posts now (and other stuff) and do feel a bit more positive :thumbsup: TBH I think I was a bit more disappointed at who it wisnae (and no just because I had money on him :greengrin ) than who it is. I'm just glad it wisnae any off the usual suspects, Tangoman, etc, etc, that was my main hope from the start and I got that.

Anyhow good luck tae him :scarf: :thumbsup:

GloryGlory
19-10-2010, 07:24 AM
:agree:heard the comments about his defensive record with the cobblers,and to be honest it's quite impressive and a shade comforting that we now have a man that knows how to set out a hard rear back formation. a good defender,that has done it, and knows what's required for certain situations. I'm warming to him already:wink:

:agree: It's all very well going on about attacking football and flair, but all good teams are founded on solid defence and organisation. Let's hope CC gets that sorted at Hibs, as it has been a major weakness for years and never adequately addressed by previous managers. Once that's sorted, then let's get the flair and style back again.

If he cuts out even 50% of the goals lost from set pieces because of poor organisation, we'll be points better off every season.

number9dream
19-10-2010, 08:00 AM
CC was an integral part of Craigie Broon's back five for Scotland, maybe he could introduce a similar system at ER.
Let's see Hogg and Hanlon playing at right and left centre back, with Bamba the spare man and given license to bomb up the park on occasion.
Hart and Murray/Grounds as the full-backs.

Aldo
19-10-2010, 08:28 AM
That will do for me, i have seen too many performances that have been uncomfortable loses.

And for me. Would rather we won 1 nil then bomb up the park and lose goals goals goals.

Make us hard to beat and let the other teams leave themselves open.

There are always going to be fans who dont like managers etc and I am sure this appointment will be no different.

the only style of play i want is a 3 points in the bag style every week. I dont really mind if we win ugly either.

Spike Mandela
19-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Doesn't matter what style of play he or Mixu or Yogi wanted to play we are hamstrung by the current bunch of players we have.

If he can squeeze some improved results out of this lot till the end of the season and let the contracts run down then he will have a blank canvas to build his own team. Yogi would have got this luxury but couldn't get results with this bunch of mostly lightweights and journeymen.

Good luck CC.

smurf
19-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I feel we're soon going to be in Alex Miller territory. Very similar style of football.

Some will accept that. Some won't.

ScottB
19-10-2010, 10:17 AM
He's in the Scotsman today http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Calderwood-wants-to-lead-Hibs.6587709.jp

So when the new Hibs manager spoke yesterday of style being secondary to substance when it comes setting out his teams, it should really have come as no surprise.

Calderwood will bring pragmatism to a club whose supporters have a reputation for demanding a certain level of panache from the sides they pay to watch. But as John Hughes' successor freely admitted following his untrailed appointment at Easter Road last night, the manner in which he pursues success might not earn universal approval.

"You need to win, that's the bottom line," said Calderwood when quizzed on his own footballing philosophy.

"I think an easier way is to ask players that I've managed or coached. That's the relationship that's got me all my managerial jobs so far, it has been that relationship and coaching ideas that has put me forward. Certainly from the Northampton one, the Tottenham players I'd played with had a big influence in getting me that job.

"The style of football might not seem appealing to other people but they know it's the right way. You need the ball to play with it and I certainly want to do that.

"Preferably, there has to be a pass. Not too many teams go direct time after time but it's the same old nonsense managers will spout. Everyone wants to play the pretty game but you've got to win."

Read into that what you will I guess...

persevere1875
19-10-2010, 10:35 AM
So when the new Hibs manager spoke yesterday of style being secondary to substance when it comes setting out his teams, it should really have come as no surprise.

Calderwood will bring pragmatism to a club whose supporters have a reputation for demanding a certain level of panache from the sides they pay to watch. But as John Hughes' successor freely admitted following his untrailed appointment at Easter Road last night, the manner in which he pursues success might not earn universal approval.

"You need to win, that's the bottom line," said Calderwood when quizzed on his own footballing philosophy.

"I think an easier way is to ask players that I've managed or coached. That's the relationship that's got me all my managerial jobs so far, it has been that relationship and coaching ideas that has put me forward. Certainly from the Northampton one, the Tottenham players I'd played with had a big influence in getting me that job.

"The style of football might not seem appealing to other people but they know it's the right way. You need the ball to play with it and I certainly want to do that.

"Preferably, there has to be a pass. Not too many teams go direct time after time but it's the same old nonsense managers will spout. Everyone wants to play the pretty game but you've got to win.

Whilst there may be some who would rather see style over substance, IMHO, the highlighted parts of Calderwood's comments are spot on. Style or a 1-0/2-1 win over the Old Firm/Yams, I'll take the points every time,

Points/wins pushes you up the table and gets you cup runs, higher positioning in the table and better cup runs puts bums on seats, bums on seats equals additional revenue and additional revenue equals a better standard of player in future transfer windows.

Style and a loss earns you nowt but plaudits from journalists who havent even paid for there seats and at the moment we havent even got that.

Purehibee_MYB
19-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Realistically we are no Barca... (except of Scotland) but if sacrificing style wins us the Scottish Cup or 3rd place then I'm happy.

TowerHibs
19-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Good to see a thread with a lot of common sense in it for a while. As I've said elsewhere, this free flowing football myth has stopped the fans from really getting behind the team properly. We are not going to play 2/3 touch football, short passes all the way up the park and walk the ball into the net!

Our player's ability and understanding don't allow for it and more importantly (so many people refuse to accept this) but our league doesn't allow for tippy tally football. It is fast and physical and does not have the culture of sitting back and allowing teams to knock it about

Be solid at the back, no nonsense and let the midfield support the attack to them create chances up the park, not having the midfield on top of the back 4 and a gap of 40/50 yards between midfield and attack. That way Colin nish doesn't have to hold the ball up for 3/4 seconds which he can't do

Would love the fans to ignore this flair nonsense and get right behind the guys, we under estimate how our support can really help the team. Would love easter road to be bouncing, with an understanding that the team are playing to their strengths and trying to create in the final third and taking no prisoners at the back

GGTTH

Cropley10
19-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Doesn't matter what style of play he or Mixu or Yogi wanted to play we are hamstrung by the current bunch of players we have.

If he can squeeze some improved results out of this lot till the end of the season and let the contracts run down then he will have a blank canvas to build his own team. Yogi would have got this luxury but couldn't get results with this bunch of mostly lightweights and journeymen.

Good luck CC.

Very very true - great post.

I feel we're soon going to be in Alex Miller territory. Very similar style of football..

You may be right Smurf - but I think this might have a lot to do with the other post I quote... We won't be lumbered with many of these players for long...

New Corrie
19-10-2010, 11:08 AM
He's been here 5 mins, and compared to Alex Miller, accused of being an underwhelming cheap option who endorses pub team/industrial/ hoofball/eyes bleed blah blah blah

I just want Hibs to win matches, and it sounds like he does aswell, so that's good enough for me. Hopefully we can put this all flare/entertaining mythical embarrassment to bed once and for all.

allezsauzee
19-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I feel we're soon going to be in Alex Miller territory. Very similar style of football.

Some will accept that. Some won't.
yeah i absolutely hated having a team with Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill, Kevin McAllister and Pat McGinlay in it....where would the goals come from? :grr:

3pm
19-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Get the players organised and progress from there.

He has to get more from some of the squad and he has to get a few folk in who have an end product other than relying on Riordan (or Hogg) all the time.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Ian Holloway was a long ball merchant, he's not now.

heretoday
19-10-2010, 01:29 PM
CC must have been influenced a bit by Alex Miller in the Scotland set-up.
He is a pal of JC too so we're looking at a defensive outfit who can run all day.