PDA

View Full Version : Some inside info on CC

Aubenas
18-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Thought this would be useful - it's a blog from a Twitter mate of mine who was at school with CC. She knows her football, has a Stranraer season and is a Killie supporter and what she says makes me quite hopeful.

Five things Hibs fans should know about Colin Calderwood

Congratulations to Colin Calderwood, the new Hibs manager. He has the burdz very best wishes for a long and successful career at Easter Road. At last, he has the chance to shine on home soil and I hope the club give him the time and support to do so. You see, home ties bind. And Colin is a boy from my home area….

So a wee bit of insider knowledge: here are five things Hibees should know about their new manager, things you are unlikely to find out anywhere else.

1. His nickname is Sass (though I’m sure few folk call him it these days). Short for “sassidge” ie Scottish pronunciation of sausage, on account of his unfeasibly tanned countenance, that we all used to marvel at at school. That and his glorious legs…. When he played for Scotland, a sure fire way of finding other fans from the toon at a Scotland game was to holler “c’mon sass”. Sad but true.
2. He captained Lochryan FC under 18s the year they swept the board, beating Rangers and Celtic under 18s, and everyone else besides. It was probably the most successful boys’ team ever to come out of Stranraer.
3. Colin wasn’t the most talented footballer in that team but he was the only one to go on and have a first class professional football career. He was an extremely dedicated and hard working footballer, always willing to learn and develop, and he stayed a professional well into his 30s because he worked hard at his craft and his fitness. Think John Collins. But with nobs on.
4. He was/is a fitness fanatic who it was rumoured, refused to allow central heating in his house because he believed it might compromise his immune system (in other words, would make him soft and prone to sniffles and germs). If anyone can sort out the Hibs underachievers, Colin can.
5. I, and a few others, worked hard to ensure that Calderwood was given a civic reception by the council in the late 90s. Unbelievably, his home town had done nothing to honour his achievements. He came, spent time talking with everyone, stayed right to the end, posed for innumerable photos, signed hunners of autographs and when called upon to speak, was fairly overcome at the idea that we would want to honour him. A more modest, unassuming, principled, diligent fella you could not hope to meet. But one with a steely spine who is also hugely disciplined and ambitious.

Some Hibees may be underwhelmed. Don’t be. Colin Calderwood is just the kind of manager we need more of in Scotland. He has honed his managerial skills in England and worked with some of the best, who hold him in the highest regard. We can be terribly sniffy in Scotland about footballers who have spent their entire career down south. In this case, it would be totally undeserved. Be assured that Colin Calderwood, given the time, space and resources, could turn out to be a very good manager for you indeed.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Right, well that's me justified the reason for my erection at the moment.

Get stuck in aboot it, Colin.

Wembley67
18-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Right, well that's me justified the reason for my erection at the moment.

Get stuck in aboot it, Colin.

When did a stiffy have to be justified like :confused::confused::confused:

Pedantic_Hibee
18-10-2010, 07:59 PM
For the avoidance of doubt, I was not imploring Colin Calderwood to attend to my hard-on in my previous post. Thanks.

Hibee_Lisa
18-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice little read.:thumbsup:

Betty Boop
18-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Thought this would be useful - it's a blog from a Twitter mate of mine who was at school with CC. She knows her football, has a Stranraer season and is a Killie supporter and what she says makes me quite hopeful.

Congratulations to Colin Calderwood, the new Hibs manager. He has the burdz very best wishes for a long and successful career at Easter Road. At last, he has the chance to shine on home soil and I hope the club give him the time and support to do so. You see, home ties bind. And Colin is a boy from my home area….

So a wee bit of insider knowledge: here are five things Hibees should know about their new manager, things you are unlikely to find out anywhere else.

1. His nickname is Sass (though I’m sure few folk call him it these days). Short for “sassidge” ie Scottish pronunciation of sausage, on account of his unfeasibly tanned countenance, that we all used to marvel at at school. That and his glorious legs…. When he played for Scotland, a sure fire way of finding other fans from the toon at a Scotland game was to holler “c’mon sass”. Sad but true.
2. He captained Lochryan FC under 18s the year they swept the board, beating Rangers and Celtic under 18s, and everyone else besides. It was probably the most successful boys’ team ever to come out of Stranraer.
3. Colin wasn’t the most talented footballer in that team but he was the only one to go on and have a first class professional football career. He was an extremely dedicated and hard working footballer, always willing to learn and develop, and he stayed a professional well into his 30s because he worked hard at his craft and his fitness. Think John Collins. But with nobs on.
4. He was/is a fitness fanatic who it was rumoured, refused to allow central heating in his house because he believed it might compromise his immune system (in other words, would make him soft and prone to sniffles and germs). If anyone can sort out the Hibs underachievers, Colin can.
5. I, and a few others, worked hard to ensure that Calderwood was given a civic reception by the council in the late 90s. Unbelievably, his home town had done nothing to honour his achievements. He came, spent time talking with everyone, stayed right to the end, posed for innumerable photos, signed hunners of autographs and when called upon to speak, was fairly overcome at the idea that we would want to honour him. A more modest, unassuming, principled, diligent fella you could not hope to meet. But one with a steely spine who is also hugely disciplined and ambitious.

Some Hibees may be underwhelmed. Don’t be. Colin Calderwood is just the kind of manager we need more of in Scotland. He has honed his managerial skills in England and worked with some of the best, who hold him in the highest regard. We can be terribly sniffy in Scotland about footballers who have spent their entire career down south. In this case, it would be totally undeserved. Be assured that Colin Calderwood, given the time, space and resources, could turn out to be a very good manager for you indeed.

'John Collins but with nobs on' pfft ! :greengrin

broonie27
18-10-2010, 08:07 PM
He can be an arrogant, ignorant, fat, unfit, knob for all I care - as long as he gets Hibs winning some games!

Aitchy
18-10-2010, 08:08 PM
More "inside info". Doesn't make great reading. The six defenders bit particularly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A26648742

Wull
18-10-2010, 08:09 PM
definately sounds just the type o' guy that we need, :thumbsup: Ahm talkin aboot the leading post by the way.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-10-2010, 08:10 PM
More "inside info". Doesn't make great reading. The six defenders bit particularly.

Better appointment than Eddie Malofeev, would you agree?

Wembley67
18-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here but that was three years ago when he was still a young inexperienced manager, every thought he may have came on since then?

Pedantic_Hibee
When did a stiffy have to be justified like :confused::confused::confused:

When I'm in Asda :boo hoo:

CmoantheHibs
For the avoidance of doubt, I was not imploring Colin Calderwood to attend to my hard-on in my previous post. Thanks.

Can you explain it then as thats how I read it.I thought I was pleased by our new manager but you have taken it to a different level :faf:

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Tesco's banned you after all then :greengrin

--------
18-10-2010, 08:19 PM

This is very encouraging.

I see he played 667 senior games, including internationals. I'm awfully pleased he played that last one - I'd have been seriously worried of he'd only played 666....

And nearly 300 senior games under his belt as manager. Not exactly inexperienced or untested. And a couple of promotion seasons as well.

Now all we need to do is give the bloke the chance to do his job....

Wembley67
18-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Is that due to all the middle age women walking about chink chinking their back pockets :wink:

FedupHibby
18-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Interesting post, thanks. Now I know something that isn't the normal, patronising claptrap normally churned out about a new manager or player!

I'll resist posting my original thoughts now, and I really hope that it works out for him and us!

Hopefully he'll bring a great big stick wi' him to sort out our midfield!!

All the best CC

CraigHibee
18-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but that was three years ago when he was still a young inexperienced manager, every thought he may have came on since then?

exactly what i was thinking!

surely must have something good going if he was assistant at newcastle?

folk need to give him a chance, some folk are unhappy we never got clarke but, i reckon calderwood given time will be good for us

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 09:59 PM

folk need to give him a chance, some folk are unhappy we never got clarke but, i reckon calderwood given time will be good for us

You're dead right here, and I don't know if you count yourself in their number, but I'd love - I mean I'm genuinely intrigued - as to why us not getting a permanent assistant manager and instead getting someone with 2 promotions and nigh on 300 games in charge in the dugout is something to be unhappy about??

Kaiser_Sauzee
18-10-2010, 10:19 PM
You're dead right here, and I don't know if you count yourself in their number, but I'd love - I mean I'm genuinely intrigued - as to why us not getting a permanent assistant manager and instead getting someone with 2 promotions and nigh on 300 games in charge in the dugout is something to be unhappy about??

The only thing I am going to say about Calderwood's appointment comes on the back of this post which sums up common sense for me.

Calderwood will prove to be good for Hibs with experience like that. I am pretty surprised but pleased with this appointment.

KiddA
18-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Reading some of the quotes on here I get the feeling that the Forest fans have even higher expectations than we do, so not really looking at this too much and it was a while a go. Im sure he has improved a lot since then in terms of experience and what he has worked with at NUFC :agree:

Time will tell and good luck to the guy.

CraigHibee
18-10-2010, 11:33 PM

i wouldnt say i was unhappy bud, just surprised at calderwood being appointed with all the talk of clarke getting the job

i can see where your coming from though :agree:

Heckys Wheel
19-10-2010, 12:28 AM
The more I read about him, the more I wonder how Yogi beat him to the position last time around.

Kato
19-10-2010, 01:14 AM
He can be an arrogant, ignorant, fat, unfit, knob for all I care - as long as he gets Hibs winning some games!

I didn't know Jim Jefferies had applied!!

stevenhibs
19-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Exactly, just because he was maybe poor in his first job he will no doubt have learned from it. Look at Mowbray, outstanding in his first, honking in his last.

He ticks all or most of the boxes we've been shouting about. Experienced, as a manager, no matter what level it's at he's been a winner. 2 promotions and all.... And last but not least.... Hes had no emotional connections to hibs!

Not that I think it would bother him much if we didn't, but we should all get right behind him and the team from the off! I've I feeling they need us just now.

TornadoHibby
19-10-2010, 07:09 AM
This is very encouraging.

I see he played 667 senior games, including internationals. I'm awfully pleased he played that last one - I'd have been seriously worried of he'd only played 666....

And nearly 300 senior games under his belt as manager. Not exactly inexperienced or untested. And a couple of promotion seasons as well.

Now all we need to do is give the bloke the chance to do his job....

:shocked:

Doddie, don't ya think that's perhaps a tad too controversial for some on here IMO! :dunno: :greengrin

Sergio sledge
19-10-2010, 08:05 AM

:agree: Also correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not win promotion with Forest the season this article is taken from? He worked with his team to get over the bad start and took them up to the championship at the end of that season.

Hibbyradge
19-10-2010, 10:48 AM
The more I read about him, the more I wonder how Yogi beat him to the position last time around.

Yogi has the ability to sweep people along with his inspitational rhetoric.

Calderwood isn't as articulate.

Also, money may have been an issue.

3pm
19-10-2010, 12:13 PM
'Rod, what attracted you to Colin?'

'His refusal to put the central heating on at the training complex'

We'll post a profit this year. :agree:

Hibbyradge
19-10-2010, 01:13 PM
'Rod, what attracted you to Colin?'

'His refusal to put the central heating on at the training complex'

We'll post a profit this year. :agree: