PDA

View Full Version : Underwhelmed

Mark79
18-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Anyone else not all that excited by the appointment? I'll back him as manager but felt the board could have been a bit more ambitious. Don't sense a great deal of excitement from many on here.

Mikey
18-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Anyone else not all that excited by the appointment?

No.

Beefster
18-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm excited. We've got a new manager with a decent track record and plenty of stories about him being a good guy.

He's got a huge job to do and needs two years minimum to do it. If folk are moaning already, I despair.

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 07:45 PM
No.are you employed by HFC?

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Anyone else not all that excited by the appointment? I'll back him as manager but felt the board could have been a bit more ambitious. Don't sense a great deal of excitement from many on here.

Would you have been inspired by Clarke mate?

Clarke - coached at EPL level but never managed a club

Calderwood - coached at EPL level has managed clubs to promotion twice

I guess that on paper at least, CC is the better option

Aldo
18-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Heard Clarkes wages the prob.......who else after him...tangoman...stark.....penney......

right man has the job IMHO.....

there are a right bunch of dour face ****ers on here tonite..FFS lets get behind the guy.

Doom and gloom GTF

Mikey
18-10-2010, 07:47 PM
are you employed by HFC?

No.

Are all the people who are willing to give him a chance employed by HFC?

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm excited. We've got a new manager with a decent track record and plenty of stories about him being a good guy.

He's got a huge job to do and needs two years minimum to do it. If folk are moaning already, I despair.not moaning,but we've had good guys. I want a bad guy, tae kick erse when reqd,no arms roond shooders or any o' that pish.

Mark79
18-10-2010, 07:48 PM

He's got a huge job to do and needs two years minimum to do it. If folk are moaning already, I despair.

I'm not moaning? Just saying I'm not overly excited by the appointment. Don't think it's a bad appointment. Liked the idea of Clarke

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 07:49 PM
No.

Are all the people who are willing to give him a chance employed by HFC?a simple yes or no would suffice

McSwanky
18-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Was that guy not yogi?

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 07:50 PM
not moaning,but we've had good guys. I want a bad guy, tae kick erse when reqd,no arms roond shooders or any o' that pish.

From what I'm hearing and to quote the previous incumbent 'he's got that in his locker' :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 07:51 PM

How much more ambition would have got someone better?

Mikey
a simple yes or no would suffice

I'll bear that in mind for next time.

monktonharp
From what I'm hearing and to quote the previous incumbent 'he's got that in his locker' :greengrin as long as..........then fine by me:greengrin

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll bear that in mind for next time.lighten up

Hibbyradge
18-10-2010, 07:53 PM

How did you feel when they wheeled Mowbray out?

The_Todd
18-10-2010, 07:53 PM
We've gone for someone not previously involved in Scottish football (other than playing for Scotland) - this in itself is a good thing. He has experience of League One, Championship and Premiership - all mostly a higher standard than the SPL.

Let's give him a chance, eh?

zlatan
18-10-2010, 07:54 PM
No.

Are all the people who are willing to give him a chance employed by HFC?

I'm homeless after losing £50 on gambling thanks to you, are they hiring?

edit - this is a lighthearted comment btw

Iain G
18-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Am rather happy with this appointment, hopefully a no nonsense guy who will sort out whatever is rotten to the core in our dressing room, and enough good knowledge of English football to get some good players in January and over the summer when he gets free reign to get rid of all of those not up to scratch.

Happy, actually probably fairly excited about it, welcome to Hibs Colin and best wishes from the other side of the globe! :thumbsup:

lucky
18-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm happy I think its a good appointment. Been a manager and a assistant in the EPL. Good level if ambition shown by the board.

northgreen24
18-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I honestly dont know what some fans expect. most were happy to give the hibs job to a guy who had no actual manager experience :confused:

we have got a guy who's record is pretty good and since leaving his last manager job worked with a team who returned to the premiership FFS.

but dont worry doom and gloomers you can all say told you so when we dont met the impossible expectations.

IMO something different and better than prev

Colin - Great cup day but no experience and big chip on shoulder
Mixu- Nice guy but no up to the task
yogi - no one could doubt his passion but as a fan so am I, dosent mean I can manage hibs

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 08:12 PM
If by "not much excitement on the board" you mean that nobody us going off their rocker, proclaiming Petrie to be a mastermind and offering their 1st born at the Altar of Calderwood, then you're right, but the only way hysteria of that ilk would have been generated was if Petrie had dragged Wenger away from Arsenal or somesuch.

I'm quietly optimistic about this appointment, which is about the limit of what Hibs fans can be in the short term, looking at the facts/league table. Not delirious, but far from underwhelmed.

As an aside, why were people getting their collective knickers in a twist over Steve Clarke being linked?? He's never been a permanent manager in his own right and never led a team to promotion.

Calderwood has done both of these things.

Hibee Daz
18-10-2010, 08:14 PM

NO

Mark79
18-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Much the same but pleasantly surprised. I have not said he won't be good. Just thought someone with a bit more experience or profile.

This forum cracks me up sometimes. All I said was I'm not all that excited. Didn't say he was s**te or anything of the sorts.

PaulSmith
18-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Much the same but pleasantly surprised. I have not said he won't be good. Just thought someone with a bit more experience or profile.

This forum cracks me up sometimes. All I said was I'm not all that excited. Didn't say he was s**te or anything of the sorts.

I feel the same, a kinda shrug of the shoulders and a positive mumble appointment.

--------
18-10-2010, 08:28 PM
not moaning,but we've had good guys. I want a bad guy, tae kick erse when reqd,no arms roond shooders or any o' that pish.

Apparently he doesn't believe in having central heating in his house - erodes your immune system and makes you soft.

And he played well into his thirties thanks to dedicated training regimes and a very high level of fitness. Sounds to me a bit like John Collins with a sense of humour and seven years' experience in managing players?

TBH, we don't know what he'll be like, right now, but I really don't think anyone succeeds as a manager in the lower reaches of the Football league without knowing how to keep discipline and when to kick backsides. Not a lot of shrinking violets or touchy-feely stuff in Leagues One and Two, from what I've seen. That's where men are men and centre-backs are ruthless big *******s with death's-head tattoos and steel toe-caps in their boots...

Me, right now I'm content. Happy, even.

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I feel the same, a kinda shrug of the shoulders and a positive mumble appointment.

:agree:

Yeh, that's about right. I may have slightly got the wrong end of the stick with the OP.

I'd add that besides the shrug of the shoulders, positive mumble and appreciative analysis of his achievements in his managerial career to date, I also breathed a HUGE sigh of relief that we hadn't appointed either a) an ex-player or b) some dour Scottish manager who's being doing the rounds on the Scottish manaerial merry go-round, of which Colin's namesake, Fat Hun Jimmy, would have been the perfect example.

Why some folk were so fixated on Stevie Clarke getting the job interests me as well, I must admit.

MrRobot
18-10-2010, 08:32 PM
My first choice was Clarke but Iread up on Calderwood today before he was appointed and im impressed wit hwhat he's done at clubs. If he leads us to a Scottish Cup win, he'll be a legend. There's your first goal Colin. :thumbsup:

Alex Trager
18-10-2010, 08:40 PM
This is me now... I wasn't best pleased at the beggining but now....Well i dono

Anyone seen his interview on hibs tv he says we have a really good support who like to get behind the team.......

sixtwo
18-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I think he will do well. He has a fair bit of experience as a player, manager and a coach. He is not an former hibs player which is good. He has no ties (that i am awre of) with the old firm. I've been impressed with what I have read about his personality. I think he is a good choice. I hope he gets the boys on side quickly. Hopefully he will have them buzzing and have their confidence re instilled before the derby!

Welcome Colin!:thumbsup:

Carheenlea
18-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm quietly optimistic about this appointment, which is about the limit of what Hibs fans can be in the short term, looking at the facts/league table. Not delirious, but far from underwhelmed.

Nobody will be cracking open the champagne over the announcement, but I`m also quietly optimistic that we have the right man with the experience and attributes that can progress the club forward, and who knows, we may well have cause for cracking open the champagne sometime in the next season or two with what hopefully will be a safe pair of hands in charge.

Mark79
18-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Can I come back in? Everyone calmed down yet??

Eaststand
18-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Am rather happy with this appointment, hopefully a no nonsense guy who will sort out whatever is rotten to the core in our dressing room, and enough good knowledge of English football to get some good players in January and over the summer when he gets free reign to get rid of all of those not up to scratch.

Happy, actually probably fairly excited about it, welcome to Hibs Colin and best wishes from the other side of the globe! :thumbsup:

Yep, thats about the way I see it too and from this season ticket holder and shareholder who lives 10 mins from the ground, welcome to Hibs from this side of the globe Colin :-)

GGTTH

--------
18-10-2010, 08:44 PM
:agree:

Yeh, that's about right. I may have slightly got the wrong end of the stick with the OP.

I'd add that besides the shrug of the shoulders, positive mumble and appreciative analysis of his achievements in his managerial career to date, I also breathed a HUGE sigh of relief that we hadn't appointed either a) an ex-player or b) some dour Scottish manager who's being doing the rounds on the Scottish manaerial merry go-round, of which Colin's namesake, Fat Hun Jimmy, would have been the perfect example.

Why some folk were so fixated on Stevie Clarke getting the job interests me as well, I must admit.

It's the lemming syndrome. One guy says, "Stevie Clarke!" then another guy says, "Yes! Stevie Clarke!" then a third says, "Yes! Let's go for Stevie Clarke!" Then someone says he's seen Stevie Clarke going into ER. And it goes on from there.

Don't get me wrong - I think Clarke would have been an OK appointment. But I'm as happy - actually, happier - with CC.

Think of it this way....

We could have appointed Gareth Southgate, Gordon Strachan, Kevin Keegan or Glenn Hoddle.

Or Phil Brown.... :rolleyes:

Alex Trager
18-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Yep, thats about the way I see it too and from this season ticket holder and shareholder who lives 10 mins from the ground, welcome to Hibs from this side of the globe Colin :-)

GGTTH
:greengrin

monktonharp
18-10-2010, 08:48 PM
My first choice was Clarke but Iread up on Calderwood today before he was appointed and im impressed wit hwhat he's done at clubs. If he leads us to a Scottish Cup win, he'll be a legend. There's your first goal Colin. :thumbsup::shocked:too much pressure

sam armstrong
18-10-2010, 08:49 PM
If by "not much excitement on the board" you mean that nobody us going off their rocker, proclaiming Petrie to be a mastermind and offering their 1st born at the Altar of Calderwood, then you're right, but the only way hysteria of that ilk would have been generated was if Petrie had dragged Wenger away from Arsenal or somesuch.

As an aside, why were people getting their collective knickers in a twist over Steve Clarke being linked?? He's never been a permanent manager in his own right and never led a team to promotion.

Calderwood has done both of these things.

Some of these threads are crawling with Jambo's giving us their wisdom.

NAE NOOKIE
18-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I got a text saying Calderwood and thought it meant Jimmy. So now I'm delighted its Colin. :greengrin

Anyway, you can dig out lots of stuff about managers previous jobs to prove how good or bad they are.

Mowbray ....... Hibs .... great ... Celtic mince
Strachan .... Southampton, Celtic ... great ... Boro ... mince
Allardyce .... Bolton ... miracle worker ..... Newcastle ... coulnt wait to get rid.
Hodgson ... Fulham ... UEFA Cup final .... Liverpool ... shoogly peg.

In reality this doesnt look like a very exciting appointment, but lets give the guy a chance to show what he can do. He probably needs to get in about 4 players with a bit of pace, coz the current lot look like half of them couldnt beat me over 10 yards.

Good luck to him, cant help thinking he is going to need it looking at our next 3 fixtures.

broonie27
18-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Can't disagree with you more. I think it's a really decent appointment. The guy has a fair bit of experience and even managed to get perennial under-achievers Nottingham Forest promoted - no mean feat.

It's certainly a more ambitious appointment than tangoman, O'Neill or McParland and I'm way more excited about this guy than when we appointed Hughes.

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 08:53 PM

I think I'm missing something - are you saying my post is that of a Jambo, or is it in answer to my question re: Stevie Clarke :confused:

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 08:53 PM

--------
18-10-2010, 08:54 PM

Yup - time for a purge. Reel 'em in, take 'em down to the basement, a happy 2-3 hours with the rubber coshes and electrodes, then the old nine grams in the occiput.

Worked for Joe Stalin, could work for us. :devil:

heretoday
18-10-2010, 08:56 PM
There's no way Hibs could have afforded Clarke.

Colin Calderwood is a decent choice. When my son told me the news I thought for one awful moment it was to be Jimmy!

Watching CC interviewed outside the ground on the news I have to say he does not cut an inspiring figure but maybe he had a cold or something.

He obviously feels he has something to prove. That's good.

Holmesdale Hibs
18-10-2010, 09:00 PM
We've gone for someone not previously involved in Scottish football (other than playing for Scotland) - this in itself is a good thing. He has experience of League One, Championship and Premiership - all mostly a higher standard than the SPL.

Let's give him a chance, eh?

:agree: I think he's well qualified and will do a good job

bornahibby
18-10-2010, 09:00 PM
The sentiment on here for many the last two weeks has been that the previous strategy in signing managers has been flawed. Out of the last four, Mowbray was the only gamble that really paid off. I say gamble because none of them had a real wealth of managerial - or even assistant managerial - experience. So something had to change.

Now there are those that are bemoaning the fact that we have a manager with more experience and success under his belt than the previous four put together. Those who had thier heart set on Clarke are disapointed that we have not appointed a man with the same or even less experience than each.

You really have to wonder sometimes.

weecounty hibby
18-10-2010, 09:09 PM
It is absolutely unbelievable that people are talking about being underwhelmed. His record id pretty good and he comes rom the EPL where he will have been paid handsomely. Some of these underwhelmed posters were seriously touting names like Jimmy Calderwood, Derek Adams, Michael O'Neil, Terry Butcher, Gordon Chisolm, Derek McInnes, John McGlynn etc. How ****in overwhelmed would you have been with any of these guys!!!!!!!
FFS get a grip some of you, we now have a proven manager in place who IMO is a better appointment than we could have hoped for. I hope to god he goes on and proves it now.
Go on Colin get stuck in and make us great again:flag:

fat freddy
18-10-2010, 09:10 PM
while i agree that clarke may have been a decent appointment his name never had the same potential as colin calderwood's has....for anagrams....all those lovely vowels have got me thinking...

maybe something mr.petrie is thinking this evening...i crowned cool lad

or maybe the newcastle board are contemplating that...Rod won ideal Col C

perhaps our new manager is considering getting rid of a few under performing players...C.C. in door -Dole law

and finally,grasping at straws,maybe our beloved old chairman is in the employ of the american secret service...Olde Rod - C.I.A. Clown

BEEJ
18-10-2010, 09:15 PM
There will be a number of Hibbies who, like yourself, are fairly ambivalent about this announcement tonight, not knowing what to make of it. Neither over the top in excitement nor reaching for a razor blade in despair. :greengrin

Always remember though that at times like this one has to show only full-on positivity on here. Even the faintest hint of a demur will have you branded as a Yam and at the top of a number of Ignore lists as quickly as you can find the 'dunno' smiley.

We're a paranoid and suspicious bunch. :wink:

Mikey
18-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Use the report post function and we'll check them out.

Sir David Gray
18-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm not jumping for joy or looking for the nearest sharp object at this news. He's obviously had a decent start to his coaching career by getting promotion at Northampton and Nottingham Forest and he also seems to have been quite well respected as a coach at Newcastle.

Having said that, although he is Scottish, he has never played or coached in Scotland so for that reason, I think there is a bit of the unknown about him where a lot of Hibs fans will be concerned.

He's the manager now so he must certainly be given an opportunity to show what he can do. He has a massive job on his hands this season, not only to get us winning games and up the league but also to shape his squad for next season, since so many of our players are out of contract in the summer.

CraigHibee
18-10-2010, 09:26 PM
i'm happy with the appointment, everyone should get behind him and give him the chance he deserves

smurf
18-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Underwhelmed.

But then actually whoever we had appointed will be up against it with that shower of imposters masquerading as professional footballers that we have...

sh00byd00
18-10-2010, 09:58 PM
And people wonder why clubs shun internet message boards. Get a grip ffs, it's ****ing embarrassing.

Spike Mandela
18-10-2010, 10:01 PM
It is absolutely unbelievable that people are talking about being underwhelmed. His record id pretty good and he comes rom the EPL where he will have been paid handsomely. Some of these underwhelmed posters were seriously touting names like Jimmy Calderwood, Derek Adams, Michael O'Neil, Terry Butcher, Gordon Chisolm, Derek McInnes, John McGlynn etc. How ****in overwhelmed would you have been with any of these guys!!!!!!!
FFS get a grip some of you, we now have a proven manager in place who IMO is a better appointment than we could have hoped for. I hope to god he goes on and proves it now.
Go on Colin get stuck in and make us great again:flag:

Have you been on the sherry again?:devil:

Manxhibs
18-10-2010, 10:10 PM
When I first heard he'd got the job I wasn't a happy chappy but having thought about it and listened to his interview, I have come around to the idea. Gon yerself colin, bring us the cup

proud_and_green
18-10-2010, 10:13 PM
The sentiment on here for many the last two weeks has been that the previous strategy in signing managers has been flawed. Out of the last four, Mowbray was the only gamble that really paid off. I say gamble because none of them had a real wealth of managerial - or even assistant managerial - experience. So something had to change.

Now there are those that are bemoaning the fact that we have a manager with more experience and success under his belt than the previous four put together. Those who had thier heart set on Clarke are disapointed that we have not appointed a man with the same or even less experience than each.

You really have to wonder sometimes.
:top marks

anon1
18-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not wanting to cast any doom.. but being a Forest fan I know a fair bit about watching a team under CC's control.

The over-riding concensus amongst us tricky trees and from the best evidence available is that: CC's is as spineless as a jellyfish in the background / dressing room and his football is very, very dour....

I really hope it works out though, being a follower of Hibs too. But yes, underwhelmed. Charlie McParland (if he could've been tempted back north of the border after all the years spent living in Notts and now in Ipswich), Steve Clark & Billy Stark would've been much more worthwhile candidates in my opinion if they were available of course!

Mon the Hibees.

Hibs07p
19-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Apparently he doesn't believe in having central heating in his house - erodes your immune system and makes you soft.

And he played well into his thirties thanks to dedicated training regimes and a very high level of fitness. Sounds to me a bit like John Collins with a sense of humour and seven years' experience in managing players?

TBH, we don't know what he'll be like, right now, but I really don't think anyone succeeds as a manager in the lower reaches of the Football league without knowing how to keep discipline and when to kick backsides. Not a lot of shrinking violets or touchy-feely stuff in Leagues One and Two, from what I've seen. That's where men are men and centre-backs are ruthless big *******s with death's-head tattoos and steel toe-caps in their boots...

Me, right now I'm content. Happy, even.

That's why RP gave him the job, thinking of all the savings at East Mains and Easter Road. Nae heating, cauld baths, that will harden them up and should save the club a fortune in gas bills. :greengrin

flash
19-10-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm not wanting to cast any doom.. but being a Forest fan I know a fair bit about watching a team under CC's control.

The over-riding concensus amongst us tricky trees and from the best evidence available is that: CC's is as spineless as a jellyfish in the background / dressing room and his football is very, very dour....

I really hope it works out though, being a follower of Hibs too. But yes, underwhelmed. Charlie McParland (if he could've been tempted back north of the border after all the years spent living in Notts and now in Ipswich), Steve Clark & Billy Stark would've been much more worthwhile candidates in my opinion if they were available of course!

Mon the Hibees.

No offence but your appearance on what seems to be every thread about CC like a wee grey cloud is starting to get my goat.

essexhibee
19-10-2010, 06:35 AM
NO.

i know we have to give the guy a chance but i just dont see him being that good an appointment, Seems like a very drab appointment.:bitchy:

hibby al
19-10-2010, 06:50 AM
welcome to easter road colin ,toughen us up first then hopefully the good players will be able
to strut their stuff. also pleased to see for once i dont think it was the "cheap option"as according to the papers we paid a six figure sum in compensation , also think it shows ambition on colins part as i cant see us paying him as much as he was getting at newcastle even as a number 2.
unless anybody knows different on the salarys involved.

Arch Stanton
19-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I would have been underwhelmed if Clarke had got the job to be honest - just because Chelsea really rate him it doesn't follow he would be any good at Hibs.

I think CC is a great appointment and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes about his business - the rest of this season will be a trial especially.

Bohemian_Hibee
19-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I suppose this is as good as any of the multitude of threads to post my views on CC's appointment on...

Perhaps not 'underwhelmed' on hearing of him getting the job, but lets just say I wasn't doing a jig of delight. However, on hearing and reading more about the man, I find myself starting to think/believe/hope that Hibs may have found a potential real gem.

No one ever likes hearing the word 'transition', but whether we like it or not, we're going to be going through a transitional period when CC will get rid of the dead wood, of which there's is lots and bring in his own players, whilst gradually trying to implement his own style of play.

THIS WILL REQUIRE TIME AND PATIENCE FROM ALL HIBS FANS. Something we're not renowned for. It won't happen overnight.

Best of luck to Calderwood and his backroom team.

bawheid
19-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Should fit in well with most of our players and some of our fans then, eh?

Joe Baker II
19-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Hope I am wrong but many of the pro-Calderwood posters comments remind me of similar comments at time Williamson appointed

Arch Stanton
19-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Hope I am wrong but many of the pro-Calderwood posters comments remind me of similar comments at time Williamson appointed

That's a bit vague. You can see similar comments when any manager is appointed anywhere really.

Keith_M
19-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Does he have his own website?

:dunno:

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear what BlackpoolHibs thinks of this and just agree with him. I've decided it's not worth spending yet another 18 months arguing with him about the manager.

anon1
19-10-2010, 09:19 AM
No offence but your appearance on what seems to be every thread about CC like a wee grey cloud is starting to get my goat.

2 threads, out of a whole swathe..? get your facts right!

You must have a very short fuse.

basehibby
19-10-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm not overwhelmed but then I wasn't expecting to be - the Clarke/Stark combo sounded pretty glamorous what with all the citations from Mourinho and all, but it was always a case of "believe it when I see it" as far as I was concerned. In any case, the cold hard facts show that Calderwood is more experienced with a positive track record of success in management as opposed to none at all.

I remember like everyone else though, being distinctly underwhelmed when a certain Tony Mowbray followed Bobby Williamson into the HIbs hot seat and if that episode taught me one thing it was that reputations can only tell you so much and the proof of the pudding is in the eating so to speak.

basehibby
19-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Mon the Hibees.

That's interesting getting an opinion from someone who's actually watched some football under Calderwood. To put your point in context though I'd like to ask you a couple of questions:
- How long were Forrest in Legue 1 before Calderwood won them promotion?
- How did Calderwood's style compare to the previous incumbents who failed to get Forrest promoted?

herdy
19-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Come on, as always we start looking for reasons not to appoint the new manager. give the guy a chance. It doesn't matter what things look like on paper, it's results that counts. Let's see where we are at the end of the season then guage whether Colin Calderwood was the right choice.

Let's get right behind him and give him all the support we can, and hopefully the players might even do the same !!

Good Luck big coco:thumbsup:

hibiedude
19-10-2010, 11:14 AM
The guy must be given time and come January when he starts bring in some of how own players that should give us some indication of how good or bad a manager this guy is going to be.

to say your underwhelmed by our new manager's arrival is a bit unfair

3pm
19-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I am not sure 'underwhelmed' is the word. I had hoped for Stevie Clarke as we would have had a (near?) 'world class' coach on our books. However, for some reason it wasn't to be.

I wasn't fussed either way last night, maybe a bit hacked off as I had wanted SC but you never know how it would have panned out. He'd never been a manager, it was a gamble to an extent but one I was hoping we'd take.

However.

...my biggest hate when the Hibs job becomes available is when you are asked 'but who is there?' and I am delighted we have went for something different rather than the SPL warhorses like Mixu and Hughes.

Colin Calderwood is something different with new ideas and a decent record. Above all he hates Hearts.

Good luck Colin.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I was gutted when Calderwood appeared with Petrie from behind that door, i had £10 on Bob Malcolm. I though i was going to be a millionaire, and Hibs were getting a world class player manager at the same time. :boo hoo:

3pm
19-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I was gutted when Calderwood appeared with Petrie from behind that door, i had £10 on Bob Malcolm. I though i was going to be a millionaire, and Hibs were getting a world class player manager at the same time. :boo hoo:

He's due to be appointed 6 years from now...or 4 managers if you prefer. :agree:

archiebald
19-10-2010, 06:27 PM
This is Hibs we are talking about,when are we ever going to be overwhelmed with a new manager-never will and never have Mowbray was a lucky choice as was McLeish. :bitchy:

cad
20-10-2010, 05:35 AM
So out of 105 candidates Colin Calderwood got the Easter Road hot seat ,there must have been some crackers in there if CC was our first choice ,or second if you read some threads ,or maybe it came down to how much we wanted to spend V ambition ,IMO the finance won again nothing new there then

joe breezy
20-10-2010, 06:35 AM

I'd rather have someone who is genuinely a good manager of people, who kicks arse when needed, treats players as individuals, puts an arm round them when needed, creates a siege mentality, all of those things.

Fortunately management has come a long way since everyone just got shouted at.

Mark79
27-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Anyone still think he is the right man for the job 3 months in? I'm seeing nothing changing so far. Not sure what a few players in January will do.

bingo70
27-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Anyone still think he is the right man for the job 3 months in? I'm seeing nothing changing so far. Not sure what a few players in January will do.

3 months in after taking over a pish team and without a transfer window we're questioning if he's the right man for the job or not?

Is that really an acceptable timescale to judge someone on?

If it is the worlds gone completely bonkers IMO.

snooky
27-12-2010, 06:12 PM

If you mean out of ER, then I was delighted :greengrin
It's well documented I was not a Mogga fan.

CC is starting with lead boots left by previous managers. If he stops us going down that will be enough for me as this season is a write off.
Next season is when I'll be looking for big things from him - and the team.

snooky
27-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I would have been underwhelmed if Clarke had got the job to be honest - just because Chelsea really rate him it doesn't follow he would be any good at Hibs.I think CC is a great appointment and I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes about his business - the rest of this season will be a trial especially.

Exactly - Duff Jimmy for example.

Kaiser1962
27-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Exactly - Duff Jimmy for example.

Am sure Blobby ticked all the boxes re experience, knew the Scottish game, proven track record and so on. Didnt come cheap either :wink:

cocopops1875
27-12-2010, 06:30 PM

You are amazing sauzee4 and i hear most of the worlds big clubs are going to get in touch for your thoughts on any future managerial appointments :notworthy: :aok:

Mark79
27-12-2010, 09:15 PM
You are amazing sauzee4 and i hear most of the worlds big clubs are going to get in touch for your thoughts on any future managerial appointments :notworthy: :aok:

So your saying you can see an improvement? Ill havewhat your drinking. Managers are not just judged on signings. Tactics are the biggest part and her haw has improved. 3 months is long enough.

vla_di_vla
27-12-2010, 09:37 PM
So your saying you can see an improvement? Ill havewhat your drinking. Managers are not just judged on signings. Tactics are the biggest part and her haw has improved. 3 months is long enough.

Very uninspiring appointment. Im not sure what he brings to the table that yogi couldn't. I hope people don't carry on blaming Hughes when this goes really pear shaped

BEEJ
27-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Very uninspiring appointment. Im not sure what he brings to the table that yogi couldn't. I hope people don't carry on blaming Hughes when this goes really pear shaped
Yeah, that would be really shoddy and unmerited.

:Ummm:

('When' and not 'if' ..... :hmmm:)

vla_di_vla
27-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, that would be really shoddy and unmerited.

:Ummm:

('When' and not 'if' ..... :hmmm:)

He's an easy target. Remember he got us fourth with a team he claims he never spent a penny on. He was either extremely lucky or he's a better manager than he's given credit for. My point is if people are looking to put the blame anyone for the mess we are in then we should look no further than the board.

BT58
27-12-2010, 10:14 PM

You mean the same JH who brought in
the majority of these imposters!!!!
jeez we were heading straight down with him in
charge,,, we may survive ( hopefully )
the board have to back CC with REAL CASH
in this transfer window
Ok we've never hard a real lift from bringing in
CC,, but let's wait and see who he gets
I would be amazed if we bring only 1 new face in
if we lose heavily against the yams,, and with Hogg
in the team it's possible,, all hell will break loose
then RP will have to spend to reconcile the fans

Judas Iscariot
27-12-2010, 10:19 PM
You mean the same JH who brought in
the majority of these imposters!!!!
jeez we were heading straight down with him in
charge,,, we may survive ( hopefully )
the board have to back CC with REAL CASH
in this transfer window
Ok we've never hard a real lift from bringing in
CC,, but let's wait and see who he gets
I would be amazed if we bring only 1 new face in
if we lose heavily against the yams,, and with Hogg
in the team it's possible,, all hell will break loose
then RP will have to spend to reconcile the fans

The main imposters were already here when JH took over..

Hogg, Rankin, Stevenson, Nish etc

Yogi didn't sign they jokers, I think the majority of JH's signings have been good!

Mark Brown, Liam Miller, Dickoh to name a few

vla_di_vla
27-12-2010, 10:32 PM
The main imposters were already here when JH took over..

Hogg, Rankin, Stevenson, Nish etc

Yogi didn't sign they jokers, I think the majority of JH's signings have been good!

And the fact their contracts were being run down would suggest he didnt have much confidence in them. Im really not sure what awaits in Jan but i don't think we will be much stronger unless we can persuade some of these guys to move on. I can't see us bringing in a stokes or miller type signing and i do know we have approached a scottish 2nd division player which may or may not give a clue what sort of funds we have available:dunno:

Steve-O
27-12-2010, 11:15 PM
You've got to wonder about the sanity of anyone who has a central midfield of Murray and Rankin to try and chase a game surely? Taking off Miller and leaving Rankin on? :confused::confused::confused:

Not to mention that formation we started with...so narrow it is untrue.

Absolutely abysmal. We are honking and I will be surprised if Calderwood ends up turning it round. Has done NOTHING so far bar that win at Ibrox. Watching that pish yesterday, I have literally NO idea how that result happened?

BEEJ
27-12-2010, 11:17 PM

... Cregg, Hart, de Graff, Stack, Smith, Grounds....

to name a few of the more questionable signings.

cocopops1875
28-12-2010, 01:10 PM

My point that seems to has gone clean over your head is if he had turned it round would you have dragged this thread up and said "wow cc is the damage and clearly i was wrong to doubt rod the tash" i fear not. To answer your question based on sundays game yes there has been some improvement not much but some they easily gubbed us up there and in all honesty i thing we were the better team on sat total gash but better than them. Give the boss a chance you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear :agree: