PDA

View Full Version : What will Calderwood give us that Yogi didn't?

Spike Mandela
18-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Bearing in mind it's the same set of under performing players we are going to have what can CC bring to the table that will progress the team.

Genuine question, not looking for 'Yogi bashing' type answers. Yogi said all the right things regarding attitude, attacking play, aggression etc etc but for onre reason or another the team disappointed.

What is the first thing CC has to sort out?

Phil D. Rolls
18-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Bearing in mind it's the same set of under performing players we are going to have what can CC bring to the table that will progress the team.

Genuine question, not looking for 'Yogi bashing' type answers. Yogi said all the right things regarding attitude, attacking play, aggression etc etc but for onre reason or another the team disappointed.

What is the first thing CC has to sort out?

The first real issue is the lack of confidence in the team. However that came about, he has to find a way to address it. After that fitness is an issue. Individual players who are rocking the boat can be picked off in due course.

Craig_in_Prague
18-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Listening to Colin speak, just confirmed to me that he's a very genuine football man, seems very realistic and his record shows he's got a winning mentality. I think he'll have full respect in the dressing room and at the club.

His experiences of playing at a high level, managing at different levels (and haven done well) and being assistant at a club that got into EPL etc, tells me he obviously will have learnt an awful lot, that I hope equates to getting the players training well and working hard, commanding respect, installing discipline, in return which should see players fitter, training and playing with a better attitude/spirit etc... should hopefully bring us more positive results.

Hughes talked the talk too much.

I'm really content with this appointment and although I don't expect us to be an exciting and better team overnight, I hope we see some small improvements until he gets a few of his own players in.

Welcome aboard once again CC :thumbsup:

.SeventyFive
18-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I think he will bring more neutrality. Yogi was always too invested in the club and perhaps looked at it from more of an emotional standpoint. Calderwood isn't giddy with excitement, but calm and appears to be focussed on simply winning games as opposed to constant talk of our "state of the art" training centre and how "pretty" our stadium is etc etc.

I feel confident about this appointment.

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Hopefully, a little bit less of this :blah: and a little bit more of this :flag::cup:

In all seriousness, I'm happy with this appointment. Just hope we build on last week, and skelp the Dandies on Saturday!! :thumbsup:

GGTTH

joe breezy
18-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Comments from a couple of forums below - a small few reverting to the Notts Forest nickname of Clueless Colin but vast majority pissed off, as is Chris Hughton...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will be a real miss has done a great job
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

****...:(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"However, I have always wanted to be a Manager again in my own right and I am therefore delighted to be given this opportunity at another huge club, Hibernian".

Another huge club? Hibernian? is he mad, stupid or on drugs? They're not even huge in Scotchland for ****s sake. He should have waited 2o mins and put in for Strachan's old job :)

Hope he doesnt go :(

If it is Colin, then we are back to the soap opera days surely. In the space of a weekend:

Carroll getting charged with assaulting an 18 year old girl
Nolan being dropped because he had a 'knock' when he trained all week
Then Colin leaving as well

One of Carroll's court dates next week as well! Oh the drama is back
Not happy about this to be honest!

Wonder who we'll get now then.

Beardo promoted from the reserves...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i'll be honest i'm glad we've seen the back of "Clueless Colin", from what ive heard he has absolutely no decisiveness. He doesn't do anything to gee up the players, thats left to goalkeeping coach Paul Barron and Calderwood is more or less there for Hughton to consult and to keep things running smoothly if Hughton is called away.

Hopefully we'll get someone with experience to guide Hughton, afterall Hughton's only been manager for just over 12 months.

How about Bob Moncur as assisant manager?

Sad to see him go, but good luck to him.

He's very much a key part of the coaching staff, his duties as goalkeeping coach are only part of his job. He's the one that gee's the players up in the dressing room, anyone notice on saturday after warming Krul up he went to every player before the 2nd half kicked off?

This is very bad news - ok, Beardsley is a legend and all that, but CC had the respect of the players and was a vital link between the players and CH.

Bet CH is totally gutted.

Hibee Daz
18-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Good man managenent and the tactical awareness needed to make us hard to beat, if you look at his record he has taken a good few of his teams on long unbeaten runs hence the fact he got them promoted!

Make ER a fortress, make teams dread coming to ER that will do for me CoCo.

sahib
18-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Good man managenent and the tactical awareness needed to make us hard to beat, if you look at his record he has taken a good few of his teams on long unbeaten runs hence the fact he got them promoted!

Make ER a fortress, make teams dread coming to ER that will do for me CoCo.

I am dreading it already.

Hibee Daz
18-10-2010, 07:06 PM
I am dreading it already.

Why?

sahib
18-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Why?

If we become a purely defensive minded team.
I am not saying it does not bring a modicum of success and most likely SPL security, but I have watched Hibs teams like that (Bertie Auld springs to mind) and it can be dull. Saturday proved that you don't have to be Spain or Holland "74", inorder to win in the SPL, nevertheless I would like Hibs teams to have a go at playing to feet.

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 07:58 PM
If we become a purely defensive minded team.
I am not saying it does not bring a modicum of success and most likely SPL security, but I have watched Hibs teams like that (Bertie Auld springs to mind) and it can be dull. Saturday proved that you don't have to be Spain or Holland "74", inorder to win in the SPL, nevertheless I would like Hibs teams to have a go at playing to feet.

I'm like you sahib, I'd hate that but for me the first thing CC has to address is the silly goals we've been leaking, especially from set plays. It's possible in the first few games that CC might focus more on that than on other aspects of our play and if so, I'd be happy with it because we've lost some really stupid goals this season.

I hope he then addresses the fact that we play forty six passes to gain five yards before hoofing the ball in the direction of Nish. His problem is that he's stuck with the players he's got for the moment and so change might be more gradual than we'd like. Lack of pace is another worry and so young Galbraith might be given a run because right now I'd say he's our only pacy player.

I guess any changes may be gradual

HibeePaj
18-10-2010, 08:16 PM
HOPEFULLY A RIGHT GOOD BOOT UP THE ERKY

think he really needs to change the mindset of alot of the player..

also i think he will have good knowledge of alot of the emerging talent in the championship.

sahib
18-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm like you sahib, I'd hate that but for me the first thing CC has to address is the silly goals we've been leaking, especially from set plays. It's possible in the first few games that CC might focus more on that than on other aspects of our play and if so, I'd be happy with it because we've lost some really stupid goals this season.

I hope he then addresses the fact that we play forty six passes to gain five yards before hoofing the ball in the direction of Nish. His problem is that he's stuck with the players he's got for the moment and so change might be more gradual than we'd like. Lack of pace is another worry and so young Galbraith might be given a run because right now I'd say he's our only pacy player.

That is fair enough but I think our real problem is at the other end. I think the Nish and Riordan pairing is never going to produce a great many goals. So the man has got his work cut out. I think about losing goals with a sort of, "the bomber is always going to get through" type of attitude. By that I mean that you try to limit the opposition but accept the fact you may lose one or two and that you should be able to score more to win.
I agree about our lack of pace (and width) and Galbraith looks a good shout for a run. He is a bit light weight though and needs a decent ball played for him.

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 08:20 PM
That is fair enough but I think our real problem is at the other end. I think the Nish and Riordan pairing is never going to produce a great many goals. So the man has got his work cut out. I think about losing goals with a sort of, "the bomber is always going to get through" type of attitude. By that I mean that you try to limit the opposition but accept the fact you may lose one or two and that you should be able to score more to win.

I'm hoping that will change if CC coaches the midfield to get the ball to them quicker than we've been seeing them do in recent weeks.

On the subject of the midfield it's always struck me as odd that just about every move has to go through Liam Miller, even if it means playing the ball back towards our own goal. I like Miller but sometimes he can be infuriating by slowing the game down when that's not necessary. If CC can get Miller to be more direct then the front two might see the ball more often

BSEJVT
18-10-2010, 08:24 PM
IIRC Calderwood was the guy who used to slap himself around the coupon before the game in the changing room to get himself fired up for the contest to come.

If thats correct at least he should be able to instill a bit aggression and will to win amongst the non triers in the squad.

Again IIRC a fairly limited footballer who had enough about himself to go and get umpteen caps for Scotland and play in the Premiership for donkeys before earning his stripes as a manager and assistant down south.

If folk can see past the glamour of Clarke's Chelski connections they will see that Calderwood is far better qualified as a and player and more experienced as a manager than Clarke is and carries far less risk having already been his own man.

Give him time

Hibee Daz
18-10-2010, 08:25 PM

:top marks
Good post buddy that about sums it up for me, I understand Sahid's concerns also but like you say Rome wasn't built in a day!

I'm confident CC will steady the ship and then with increased confidence more eye pleasing performances will come.:Awright!:

sam armstrong
18-10-2010, 09:00 PM
The first real issue is the lack of confidence in the team. However that came about, he has to find a way to address it. After that fitness is an issue. Individual players who are rocking the boat can be picked off in due course.

Hopefully in time a much more competitive team with a bit more backbone. He will need to change a fair number of players to get there though and that's not easy.

heretoday
18-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I hope he gives us a defence. We need a big man at the back to keep them in line.

hibbie02
18-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Jeez. I just logged on and saw this thread and thought we had signed up the Tango Spacehopper!!!

Interesting choice. Once again P-Rod has produced the Bunny frae the Bunnet. didnae see that one coming and I think we might have another Mowbray, but with more experience. We can always hope. At least it's no that orange erse! :cool2:

LeithBoozy
18-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Is teach Rankin to pass the ball to a Hibs player. :agree:

deeks01
19-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Is teach Rankin to pass the ball to a Hibs player. :agree:

hes no a ****in magician ;)

banchoryhibs
19-10-2010, 05:51 AM
English guy at work who knows his football says that Calderwood likes his teams to play football on the floor and tends to build on a solid defence. He does not consider Calderwood's teams to be defensive - CC just knows the importance of being well organised at the back.

Calderwood is well thought of in Engerland and still has contacts at Spurs and (obviously) Newcastle.

I am less underwhelmed at this appointment than I was when I heard that Yogi got the job. From the interviews so far he appears to be articulate and is not making claims of immediate glory - a good sign IMHO as I'd much prefer a practical manager who builds success on a solid foundation than someone who is all talk and no substance.

The January window will be very interesting - whilst the Tache must support him (he's made funds available to new managers in the past) how many of the current squad will be here this time next year?

Petrie might well have got it right this time:flag: