PDA

View Full Version : 6 years as manager - 3 ending in promotion, 3 in the play offs

Hibbyradge
18-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I just saw Colin Calderwood interviewed on Sky again just now.

He pointed out that he has achieved 3 promotions and 3 play off positions in those years.

As he said, he "must be doing something right."

If he can steady the ship quickly and make us harder to beat then I'll be happy.

He's got loads of managerial experience, he will have contacts throughout England and he sounds excited about the challenge ahead.

Get to it, Colin! :thumbsup:

ronaldo7
18-10-2010, 05:36 PM
He'll do for me.:thumbsup:

Time for the Hibernian Family to get behind the new Leader:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 05:37 PM
He'll do for me.:thumbsup:

Time for the Hibernian Family go get behind the new Leader:greengrin

They are all behind me. :wink:

Hibbyradge
18-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Well, we're certainly in your shadow!

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, we're certainly in your shadow!

:faf: Nice one. :greengrin

ronaldo7
18-10-2010, 06:11 PM

I'm not on about the prediction league:grr:

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not on about the prediction league:grr:

I know pal, but you opened the door. :wink:

greenlex
18-10-2010, 06:34 PM

He pointed out that he has achieved 3 promotions and 3 play off positions in those years.

If he can steady the ship quickly and make us harder to beat then I'll be happy.

He's got loads of managerial experience, he will have contacts throughout England and he sounds excited about the challenge ahead.

Somethings not right. I read on here just a minute or so ago he had no experience and was a cheap option.:confused: I read that someone would have preferred the other Calderwood as this one hasnt done anything.:confused:

ronaldo7
18-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I know pal, but you opened the door. :wink:

Aye but I'm still struggling to find out how you got throught it:wink:

Dibben
18-10-2010, 07:20 PM

:agree:

I think there are many on here who were hooked on the idea of SC getting the job (even though he had no experience as a No1) - me included!!

CC certainly has the experience that we are after and is new to the SPL so should hopefully bring a freshness to the club!!

After feeling a little deflated at 5.20pm, I'm alot more hopeful now, especially as I get to read more about the new boss!!!

Aldo
18-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Very good appointment IMHO. I heard that Northampton had 25 clean sheets the 2006 season.....I could handle that.......

Welcome to the club CC.

Bobo
18-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Stats for both of Calderwoods' promotions with Northampton and Forest are pretty similar and not too shabby, IMO.

The number of defeats in each season are in single figures and there's a ratio of almost 1.5 goals scored and less than 1 conceded per game.

There's maybe a few too many draws for most people's liking but it's better to pick up a point than none at all, suppose it depends on how the point was achieved (losing a lead or rescuing a defeat).

He's going to need time to get his own players, team and formation sorted out but if he can produce similar sets of results for us he won't be doing too badly.

Year P W D L F A W D L F A PTS G DF
Northampton 46 11 8 4 30 15 11 9 3 33 22 83 +26
Notts Forest 46 13 8 2 37 13 9 8 6 27 19 82 +32

cockneymike
19-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Stats for both of Calderwoods' promotions with Northampton and Forest are pretty similar and not too shabby, IMO.

The number of defeats in each season are in single figures and there's a ratio of almost 1.5 goals scored and less than 1 conceded per game.

There's maybe a few too many draws for most people's liking but it's better to pick up a point than none at all, suppose it depends on how the point was achieved (losing a lead or rescuing a defeat).

He's going to need time to get his own players, team and formation sorted out but if he can produce similar sets of results for us he won't be doing too badly.

Year P W D L F A W D L F A PTS G DF
Northampton 46 11 8 4 30 15 11 9 3 33 22 83 +26
Notts Forest 46 13 8 2 37 13 9 8 6 27 19 82 +32

Those stats make me think could he be an Alex Miller type manager? Steady, effective, but perhaps uninspiring. Maybe we need a bit of that!

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Those stats make me think could he be an Alex Miller type manager? Steady, effective, but perhaps uninspiring. Maybe we need a bit of that!

I can see why you might think that? But look again at the win ratio, Millers time was never as good as that. 7 loses and 8 in the other from 46 games is good going. Thats lots of points gained

wazoo1875
19-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I can see why you might think that? But look again at the win ratio, Millers time was never as good as that. 7 loses and 8 in the other from 46 games is good going. Thats lots of points gained

Indeed , the more I read from him and watch his interviews the more I'm warming to him. He's calm and talks sensibly with no bold predictions. We desperately need some stability at the club and I feel he maybe the right man to bring it. I hope he hits the ground running this week at todders and gets a few of the doubters off his back. Good luck CC you will need it !

cockneymike
19-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Miller's total time was certainly never as good as that. However there probably were seasons during his time which compare with Calderwood's successes, although you're right in saying they're probably not as good, after all Miller never had us finish 2nd; but Calderwood never lead a team in a division dominated by 2 teams like the OF.

To be honest I'm pretty relaxed - neither jubliant or disappointed - about Calderwood's appointment, he seems bright, articulate and has had some success at a bigger club (although a lower level) than Hibs, something which I feel is important.

I like the idea of someone with something to prove; someone that has made mistakes he can learn from, whilst also having had real success he can take confidence from - CC definately has both of these.

Stevie Reid
19-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Miller's total time was certainly never as good as that. However there probably were seasons during his time which compare with Calderwood's successes, although you're right in saying they're probably not as good, after all Miller never had us finish 2nd; but Calderwood never lead a team in a division dominated by 2 teams like the OF.

To be honest I'm pretty relaxed - neither jubliant or disappointed - about Calderwood's appointment, he seems bright, articulate and has had some success at a bigger club (although a lower level) than Hibs, something which I feel is important.

I like the idea of someone with something to prove; someone that has made mistakes he can learn from, whilst also having had real success he can take confidence from - CC definately has both of these.

Lexo did lead us to 3rd place and split the OF (along with Motherwell who finished 2nd) in 1995.

Stevie Reid
19-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Very good appointment IMHO. I heard that Northampton had 25 clean sheets the 2006 season.....I could handle that.......

Welcome to the club CC.

Meaning his teams must be anything but pushovers. Does strike me as a Lexo/Levein type manager who will want his teams to be organised and hard to break down, but with ball players in the right areas.

Hibbyradge
19-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Separate from the football, although Miller became our longest serving manager since High Shaw (1948-62), he was hated by many because he'd been a Rangers player for 15 years, man and boy. I remember, I was there.

To give you an idea of why that was the case, can you imagine the reaction of the Hibs support if Barry Ferguson became Hibs manager?

Anyway, Calderwood doesn't have that baggage so at least, in theory, he's got a chance to endear himself to the fans.

Stevie Reid
19-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Separate from the football, although Miller became our longest serving manager since High Shaw, he was hated by many because he'd been a Rangers player for 15 years, man and boy. I remember, I was there.

This is undoubtedly the biggest factor.

RyeSloan
19-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Separate from the football, although Miller became our longest serving manager since High Shaw (1948-62), he was hated by many because he'd been a Rangers player for 15 years, man and boy. I remember, I was there.

To give you an idea of why that was the case, can you imagine the reaction of the Hibs support if Barry Ferguson became Hibs manager?

Anyway, Calderwood doesn't have that baggage so at least, in theory, he's got a chance to endear himself to the fans.

This is undoubtedly the biggest factor.

Really.....I wasn't old enough to remember him as a Rangers stalwart but sure as hell was old enough to know that the vast majority of his football was dull as dishwater!! Oh and there was that record agaisnt the Yams....to try and pin the fact that Miller was despised by Hibs fans as mainly down to the fact that he was a Hun is a mis-representation, it was only one factor amongst far too many....

Stevie Reid
19-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Really.....I wasn't old enough to remember him as a Rangers stalwart but sure as hell was old enough to know that the vast majority of his football was dull as dishwater!! Oh and there was that record agaisnt the Yams....to try and pin the fact that Miller was despised by Hibs fans as mainly down to the fact that he was a Hun is a mis-representation, it was only one factor amongst far too many....

I wasn't old enough to remember him as a Rangers man either, which is why I judge him purely on what he did for Hibs - apart from his horrendoues derby record, I have no problem with Miller at all.

If we had had a different manager in charge when the ***** hit the fan and Mercer was doing his thing, we could be in a very different position to the stable club that Calderwood has just walked into. Miller had to manage in a much different football environment than exists today - 13 man match days squads, no Bosmans for wholesale changes every season.

He built a team up gradually over 10 years and the negative chat should really be put to bed when we got to the stage of having Wright, Jackson, McAllister, O'Neill and McGinlay in the starting line up every week. We were 4th in the league when he left and things may have been different had we not lost out to Hearts spending beyond their means to get Weir, Cameron and McCann.

Yes Miller made us hard to beat and there were a lot of 0-0s - but he did what he had to do to help our situation when he arrived (much like Walter Smith did when he took over Scotland after Berti Vogts), and made us hard to beat. Yes he was dour but we've just had a "character" as a manager who many have slated for speaking too much and not knowing how to set up a team not to get bullied in the SPL - something Miller very much knew.

To go from where we were in 1991 to winning the League Cup should mean he is held in much higher asteem by the Hibs support imo, never mind everything else he did.

IWasThere2016
19-10-2010, 11:31 AM

He supports/ed the other side of the OF, D

Mibbes Aye
19-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I didn't hear about the appontment until a couple of hours after it was announced and had no knoweldge about his track record as a manager.

That's a very impressive résumé he's got. I like the fact that he seems to have made his teams hard to beat - that would give us a solid platform to build on. We have some potent threats in the likes of Riordan and galbraith. It will be interesting to see how he chooses to use them.

After consideration I'm very happy with his appointment :thumbsup:

aberhibsfc
19-10-2010, 11:54 AM
:top marks
I wasn't old enough to remember him as a Rangers man either, which is why I judge him purely on what he did for Hibs - apart from his horrendoues derby record, I have no problem with Miller at all.

If we had had a different manager in charge when the ***** hit the fan and Mercer was doing his thing, we could be in a very different position to the stable club that Calderwood has just walked into. Miller had to manage in a much different football environment than exists today - 13 man match days squads, no Bosmans for wholesale changes every season.

He built a team up gradually over 10 years and the negative chat should really be put to bed when we got to the stage of having Wright, Jackson, McAllister, O'Neill and McGinlay in the starting line up every week. We were 4th in the league when he left and things may have been different had we not lost out to Hearts spending beyond their means to get Weir, Cameron and McCann.

Yes Miller made us hard to beat and there were a lot of 0-0s - but he did what he had to do to help our situation when he arrived (much like Walter Smith did when he took over Scotland after Berti Vogts), and made us hard to beat. Yes he was dour but we've just had a "character" as a manager who many have slated for speaking too much and not knowing how to set up a team not to get bullied in the SPL - something Miller very much knew.

To go from where we were in 1991 to winning the League Cup should mean he is held in much higher asteem by the Hibs support imo, never mind everything else he did.

:top marks

Hibbyradge
19-10-2010, 12:13 PM
He supports/ed the other side of the OF, D

Not when he managed us.

persevere1875
19-10-2010, 12:24 PM

A sweet day indeed and IMO even better than the League cup win under JC bearing in mind what we had just been through, truly massive Hibs support that day aswell, whoever it was in the SFA that decided not to make it all ticket that day must have been pissing there pants when they looked out the window at the Hibs support descending on Hampden Park

Hibbyradge
19-10-2010, 01:11 PM

I didn't say his Rangers connections were the main reason for everyone, but he would never have been accepted by a lot of Hibs fans.

I also think, that many wanted him to fail so every negative was dwelt upon and exaggerated. It was very hard to defend Alex Miller in those days.

I remember being inside the ground after we won the League Cup in 91.

A lot of fans were singing Alex Miller's name. No-one near me was.

Anyway, my original point was that Calderwood doesn't start with that disadvantage, so even if his teams are less cavalier than we would ideally like, he'll be given the benefit of the doubt which wasn't extended to Miller.

For a while, anyway.