Gatecrasher
18-10-2010, 05:01 PM
What are your over all thoughts on the appointment of CC

Hibercelona
18-10-2010, 05:05 PM
As with any new manager..... unsure. :agree:

erin-go-bragh87
18-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Im really happy, cant help thinking we would all be more excited if it wasnt for the Clarke rumours.......

SloopJB
18-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't do impressions :confused:

CmoantheHibs
18-10-2010, 05:19 PM
My initial thoughts were that I wasnt sure but as the minutes have ticked by and its sunk in more Ive been overcome by a happy mood.:greengrin

hibiedude
18-10-2010, 05:39 PM
the positives are he knows little about Hibs which is a good thing and his knowledge of football must be high because he has come from Assistant Manager at Newcastle who themselves have come through a sticky period and seem to be on track.

We will see what kind of a manager he is in January when he starts to bring in his own players.

Kaiser1962
18-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Could have done a lot worse and at least he has a bit of experience. Given the amount of players out of contract in the summer this is going to a major rebuild and the guy needs time to do it.

Scorrie
18-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Very happy. Very good player and experience of coaching at quite a high level. Geordie mate says that CC was rated at the Toon. He doesnt look like he will take any nonsense either so for me, a very good appointment

snooky
18-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Given the field the tachmeiser had to pick from, I think he has chosen wisely.
Let's hope :xwave has come early for us.
Time will tell.

JDanielR1875
18-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Really worried about this appointment but we all have to stand by him and give him a fair chance. Didnt expect Colin Calderwood atall. I had my heart set on SC

Littlest Hobo
18-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Time tae back the manager :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Beefster
18-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone who is unhappy with a new manager, who was a Premiership assistant manager until this afternoon, has won 3 promotions and had 3 play-offs in 6 years as a manager with a career win rate of 45%, has unrealistic expectations and should probably be supporting one of the Old Firm.

Ryan91
18-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm going to leave first impressions until he's got a few games under his belt as manager, though his first big test will come on the 7th November when we play that lot from Gorski. So get to it Mr. Calderwood and do a damn good job!

(((Fergus)))
18-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Anyone who is unhappy with a new manager, who was a Premiership assistant manager until this afternoon, has won 3 promotions and had 3 play-offs in 6 years as a manager with a career win rate of 45%, has unrealistic expectations and should probably be supporting one of the Old Firm.

:agree:

greenlex
18-10-2010, 06:25 PM
MY excitement of the thought of Clarke in the managers chair was always dulled a bit by lack of actual managerial experience.
I have always said we need someone with experience at this moment in time and in fact the last appointment should have had this.
Happy enough with CC. He has lots of experience and has excelled without loads of wonga. Onwards and upwards. Hope he plays football on the way to building a winning side but I can cope (only just) with winning uglier.

Hibee Daz
18-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Has a proven track record of achieving things on a shoestring, so the Tache must have a raging hardon! His record fills me with optimism also as lets face it we never have or will splash mega bucks on players, so to hire someone who knows how to pish with cock he's got makes sense!:thumbsup:

sesoim
18-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm annoyed. I will quiet down in a day or two and see how things go (as I did when I was unhappy about Hughes getting appointed). We obviously need to get behind the manager regardless of what we think of the appointment. But frankly, today, I am shocked and frustrated at this appointment as there were better candidates.

CC wasn't very good in his previous jobs and he was especially unpopular at Notts Forest where the fans hated his defensive football and were very critical of his signings. I just feel we could have done better and this seems like the kind of appointment a non-football guy would make -ultimately I'm annoyed with Petrie.

Having said all that, Terry Butcher has failed in every country he has managed outside of Scotland, yet he has done very well here. Sometimes people can click in the right place, hopefully Hibs will suit Calderwood and vice versa.

At The Edge
18-10-2010, 06:49 PM
As someone else said in this thread, i've came round to being happy about this, he's came from a league a million miles away from ours in terms of skill and genuine world class stars, he knows good players and how they tick, if he can install some of that belief in Hibs then we're onto a good thing.

I'm looking forward to the change on the pitch and i get the feeling if the players don't shape up to his standards they'll be on their way out the door pronto.
GGTTH :thumbsup:

stantonhibby
18-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm annoyed. I will quiet down in a day or two and see how things go (as I did when I was unhappy about Hughes getting appointed). We obviously need to get behind the manager regardless of what we think of the appointment. But frankly, today, I am shocked and frustrated at this appointment as there were better candidates.

CC wasn't very good in his previous jobs and he was especially unpopular at Notts Forest where the fans hated his defensive football and were very critical of his signings. I just feel we could have done better and this seems like the kind of appointment a non-football guy would make -ultimately I'm annoyed with Petrie.

Having said all that, Terry Butcher has failed in every country he has managed outside of Scotland, yet he has done very well here. Sometimes people can click in the right place, hopefully Hibs will suit Calderwood and vice versa.

3 promotions and 3 play off places in 6 seasons seems not to shabby to me :dunno:

Ryan91
18-10-2010, 06:55 PM
As someone already pointed out, Calderwood has coaching experience in both the Championship and the Premier League down south, how many managers have we had in the past 5 years with this kind of experience?

West Stand View
18-10-2010, 06:57 PM
As with all new appointments only time will tell. Lets face it we have a limited budget for players and so have a limited budget for managers so were never going to land someone who ticked all the boxes for us. At least it wasn't someone from the SPL merry-go-round.

King Paddy
18-10-2010, 07:56 PM
As per the tache he plays his cards close to his chest, don't think anyone had a clue that he would be appointed the manager of Hibernian fc. At this moment in time with his track record in management i'm optimistic but no more than that.
What i feel good about the appointment is that he has been a manager in his own right and this should be of benefit to the football club. Also he will bring a freshness to the club.

Riordans Boots
18-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Im really happy, cant help thinking we would all be more excited if it wasnt for the Clarke rumours.......

I have to agree there - we thought it was in the bag for Clarke. But that said, I am happy with CC being appointed :agree:

stubru59
18-10-2010, 09:41 PM
The risks in appointing CC are no more - or less - than that of appointing SC.

Whoever we got, they're more or less stuck with the current bunch of players until the end of the season.

That's going to be the difficult part, getting maximum effort from players nearing the end of their contract.

Malthibby
18-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Gone for proven experience & can't disagree with that, so I'm reasonably happy. Although I was also happy when Hughes got the job, & Collins, & Mixu........oh gawd.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 09:59 PM
First impression, he's no Jim Gannon.

heretoday
18-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Quiet, modest, shuns publicity, likes to keep it tight at the back...

It's Alex Miller aaarrgghh! :greengrin

Seriously, I like the cut of his jib.

Manxhibs
18-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I am chuffed, looks like he means business :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
18-10-2010, 10:08 PM

True :greengrin

keep the faith
18-10-2010, 10:13 PM

And that should surely win him new fans!!!

Tonez
18-10-2010, 10:34 PM

:agree::agree: I'm happy enough with this appointment

I dont often post but i think RP has got a decent manager here. CC has fairly good cv. Some posters seem to have wanted Steve Clarke, Has he ever been a manager or always been an understudy ?

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 10:49 PM
True :greengrin

Also his accents a bit dodgy. :wink:

IWasThere2016
18-10-2010, 11:16 PM
First impression, he's nae Yogi :wink:

I voted happy - Yogi's gone, its no Jimmy Calderwood, he's got top and lower English League experience and knowledge (which I think will suit us),he's no Yogi, he's got a decent record/experience etc, he's no Yogi and by accounts I've had he's a great guy!

He'll do for me.

Good luck tae him! :thumbsup:

James70
19-10-2010, 12:02 AM
To sum up my impressions;

Positives - he will make us difficult to defeat and we will be more organised, he will improve fitness, get rid of trouble makers and wasters, will be unlikely to be poached by another club and will provide a period of stability at the club, also he is new to the SPL and should be able to spring a few surprises on other teams initially at least.

Negatives - he could turn out to be another Alex Miller with little to excite the fans resulting in reduced crowds, even with a consistent and competent team on the park he could struggle to win over the support, he will probably have little knowledge of the SPL.

I think Clarke could have been an expensive gamble if the figures being quoted are accurate and he would likely have moved on again very soon if he had done well. RP has gone for the safety first and, I would guess, cheaper option. Only time will tell if his appointment is a success but let's face it, things can't get any worse than they have been with our last two managers.

Gatecrasher
19-10-2010, 06:19 AM
its good to see the majority of fans are Happy with the appointment, the more i read about him the more i see why he got the job.

7Hero
19-10-2010, 06:37 AM
certainly sounds like his interviews may be less "cliche lead" than yogi, sounds an intelligent guy, enjoyed the interview hopefully he can perform as he did in the interview and get the players on side and make some good signings.

quietly positive about Colin

PeeJay
19-10-2010, 09:00 AM
No expectations really, his HIBS TV interview didn't convince me (little, if any passion for the club, limited knowledge of HIbs, limited knowledge of Scottish football (!), but I'll judge him on results. Wish him all the best, naturally.

Golden Bear
19-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Happy for now and hopefully happy for the forseeable future.

Westie1875
19-10-2010, 09:21 AM
My main concern is that he doesn't seem to know much about Hibs at all, no homework done. However, I'll judge him on what I see on the pitch

sundo1875
19-10-2010, 09:29 AM
ask us after 6 months

Expecting Rain
19-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Apologies fellow Hibees i was told it was definitely Steve Clarke, no more rumours from me in the future, i`ll only deal in facts ( official Annoncements ), anyhow.........................initially i was disappointed i didn`t realise he was assistant manager at Newcastle, i thought he was out of work, i hope he turns out to be a good manager for the club, we certainly need a bit of direction on the pitch.

seanraff07
19-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm happy. Looks like he's got decent experience and seems pretty serious about the task ahead.:agree:

--------
19-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Not quite sure how you can equate promotion at Northampton, promotion at Forest, and promotion as assistant to Hughton at Newcastle with the Butcher's career up till now. And I'm not sure either how one characterises RP as a 'non-football guy' - I know that working in a stable doesn't make you a horse, but still, Rod's been around football a long time now....

Quiet, modest, shuns publicity, likes to keep it tight at the back...

It's Alex Miller aaarrgghh! :greengrin

Seriously, I like the cut of his jib.

If he does as well for us as Smiler did, I'll be moderately content - which is a lot happier than I've been the past three months. After the past while, if we were to win every home game 1-0 and draw every away game 0-0 for the next 18 months, I'd be up there over the moon, I would.

Seriously, so do I. Initially, a bit bemused, not sure. Coming round to a warm happy feeling - for now.

Apologies fellow Hibees i was told it was definitely Steve Clarke, no more rumours from me in the future, i`ll only deal in facts ( official Annoncements ), anyhow.........................initially i was disappointed i didn`t realise he was assistant manager at Newcastle, i thought he was out of work, i hope he turns out to be a good manager for the club, we certainly need a bit of direction on the pitch.

I wouldn't knock Clarke - I think he's have been a good appointment and was my first choice too.

I think we need to wait and see what happens, and give the bloke a chance. He's stuck with the squad as is until January, so now's the time we find out whether the problem was the sqaud, or the man who signed them all up....

And I'm still not quite sure why so many of us decided that it had to be Clarke 'n Stark or no one....

See a bandwagon - jump on it? :cool2:

TowerHibs
19-10-2010, 10:09 AM
No expectations really, his HIBS TV interview didn't convince me (little, if any passion for the club, limited knowledge of HIbs, limited knowledge of Scottish football (!), but I'll judge him on results. Wish him all the best, naturally.

Pretty sure someone fresh was what most people were after. How can u ask him to have a passion for Hibs when he is 2 hours in the door?

Personally happy with the appointment, experienced manager, relatively successful and not breaking the bank. I think some of us have to have a massive reality check with our expectations on the club and Scottish football in general. We've had to pay 6 figure compensation but he is still the cheap option

Hopefully gets an organised team on the park, who play to their strengths, compete on the park. This free flowing football thing is holding the fans back from properly supporting the team as automatically fans are unhappy with how we play.

Be solid at the back, compact, no frills and let the few flair players do there stuff in the final third. Dundee united last season for example! Great going forward and solid at the back. Stop expecting John rankin, Kevin mcbride, Colin nish, Hogg, grounds to comfortable knock the ball about waiting for the opportunity to arrive; they are not good enough. Bit more urgency up the park and let's all get behind the team

Can only wish CC the best, think he comes across as no nonsense and driven to do well! Here's hoping

Holmesdale Hibs
19-10-2010, 10:12 AM
A very good appointment.

SC was my first choice but there was never much talk of CC so didn’t think of him as an option. The more I think about it the happier I am. Clearly has a good track record and will have good contacts and TBH I’m surprised he left Newcastle to come to us. Nice one tache.

Another way to think of it is if he replaced FJK (and Vlad wasn’t there to ruin any good work he does) I would be worried.

PeeJay
19-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Pretty sure someone fresh was what most people were after. How can u ask him to have a passion for Hibs when he is 2 hours in the door?

Personally happy with the appointment, experienced manager, relatively successful and not breaking the bank. I think some of us have to have a massive reality check with our expectations on the club and Scottish football in general. We've had to pay 6 figure compensation but he is still the cheap option

Hopefully gets an organised team on the park, who play to their strengths, compete on the park. This free flowing football thing is holding the fans back from properly supporting the team as automatically fans are unhappy with how we play.

Be solid at the back, compact, no frills and let the few flair players do there stuff in the final third. Dundee united last season for example! Great going forward and solid at the back. Stop expecting John rankin, Kevin mcbride, Colin nish, Hogg, grounds to comfortable knock the ball about waiting for the opportunity to arrive; they are not good enough. Bit more urgency up the park and let's all get behind the team

Can only wish CC the best, think he comes across as no nonsense and driven to do well! Here's hoping

Most people were after "someone fresh" - I wonder if that augers well for this guy's future when his best-by date looms?
I don't think it's too much on my part to ask a guy managing my team to have more than a limited knowledge of it, more than a limited knowledge of Scottish football and to exude a little passion about being here - 2 hours in the door or not.
However, results will tell, and that's all that concerns me: his "past experience" means nothing to me- the reality will no doubt surface, pretty soon.
BTW, I don't expect anything of the players we have TBH, I actually thought they were more to blame than Hughes for the run of results ... I still wish him and the team all the best.:greengrin

Wilson
19-10-2010, 11:11 AM

I'm still unsure and I wasn't on the Clarke bandwagon either.

I am glad though that the process is over and that we finally have our new manager in place.

The only thing that will convince me is results and progress and these things take time.

heretoday
19-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have any evidence that Steve Clarke a) Was approached about the job or b) Considered it for one minute?

With his pedigree he'll get a much bigger job in England some day soon.

I just don't see that he was ever a realistic choice. Apart from him we were down to the usual suspects.

In other words CC is an excellent appointment and we are lucky to have him.

sahib
19-10-2010, 12:18 PM
It will take a while to make a fair judgement of the new manager. I am looking for ambition and guts mainly.
Some people will no doubt be wanting rid of him if we dont win a couple of derbies this season but I want to see him build a side and look to pull ahead of the (non OF) pack in the long term. I want him to give young players a chance in the first team even if it risks a defeat or two. That is to say he manages in the interest of the club not just saving his own skin. We are not going for promotion so he does not have an obvious target of get there at all costs, as he had in his previous jobs and I don't know if that will be a blessing or a problem to him.