PDA

View Full Version : Highlights of the Rangers Motherwell game. Naismith celebration

cwilliamson85
18-10-2010, 11:46 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9100362.stm

Whats Naismith doing at 2mins 22 seconds during his goal celebration? that wouldnt be a red hand salute would it?

Delboy4
18-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought when watching it this morning...I ran it back half a dozen times and it def lookeed like he was giving the "Red Hand of Ulster". If he was, he should be heavily fined and given a suspension.

Mind you, Rangers dont partake in any of that...! :wink:

TheBall'sRound
18-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought when watching it this morning...I ran it back half a dozen times and it def lookeed like he was giving the "Red Hand of Ulster". If he was, he should be heavily fined and given a suspension.

Mind you, Rangers dont partake in any of that...! :wink:

Well... it's kind of on the Northern Irish flag (bang in the middle in fact)... and they kind of have a lot of Northern Irish supporters. So I'm not sure how you could justify any punishment other than referring to Naismith as a moron for the rest of his days. Which he is. A Scotland international immitating the flag of Northern Ireland. What a sad, sad sight.

easty
18-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Well... it's kind of on the Northern Irish flag (bang in the middle in fact)... and they kind of have a lot of Northern Irish supporters. So I'm not sure how you could justify any punishment other than referring to Naismith as a moron for the rest of his days. Which he is. A Scotland international immitating the flag of Northern Ireland. What a sad, sad sight.

The SPL could and should.......but won't.

blaikie
18-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Typical hun, Could he even tell you what the Red Hand of Ulster means without going on wikipedia? Hope the little moron has his career finished with two broken legs :agree: Better than any SFA telling off :cool2:

blueisthecolour
18-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Whats Naismith doing at 2mins 22 seconds during his goal celebration? that wouldnt be a red hand salute would it?

Have a look again and see if you can spot the obvious signs that it's not the red hand he is trying to imitate, some folk just look for things to have a pop at.

easty
18-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Have a look again and see if you can spot the obvious signs that it's not the red hand he is trying to imitate, some folk just look for things to have a pop at.

Whats he trying to do then?

blueisthecolour
18-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Whats he trying to do then?

You would have to ask him that, but any rangers player who raises a hand people think its a red hand, when clearly what Naismith did isnt.

Why would that bother people anyway:confused:

Dunbar Hibee
18-10-2010, 02:22 PM
You would have to ask him that, but any rangers player who raises a hand people think its a red hand, when clearly what Naismith did isnt.

So what is it he's doing... how on earth do you know that he's not doing it.. do you know him personally?:confused:

Dunbar Hibee
18-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Why the **** would it not:confused: What place does that have in football.. could maybe even make allowances if he was from NI but he's Scottish so why do it?:confused:

easty
18-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Nah I dont have to, I'll assume he's doing what he is clearly doing.

And....Why would it bother people that, at a time when Scottish football is trying to get rid of all this kind of pish from the stands, Rangers and Scotland man of moment Stevie Naismith decides to make a **** of himself by behaving like a mentally challenged prick??? I think that's fairly obvious as well.

easty
18-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Why the **** would it not:confused: What place does that have in football.. could maybe even make allowances if he was from NI but he's Scottish so why do it?:confused:

Nah....no allowances. Even if he was from NI it would be a stupid thing to do.

7Hero
18-10-2010, 02:32 PM
im no watching it as i would have to see THEM score a goal.

but is it not just the same as alan shearer scoring a goal, whats the difference ?

easty
18-10-2010, 02:34 PM
im no watching it as i would have to see THEM score a goal.

but is it not just the same as alan shearer scoring a goal, whats the difference ?

Nothing like what Shearer used to do. Look at it. I can't see any other explanation for it, other than the red hand...

I've no doubt something plausable will be dreamt up for it though.

blueisthecolour
18-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Nothing like what Shearer used to do. Look at it. I can't see any other explanation for it, other than the red hand...

I've no doubt something plausable will be dreamt up for it though.

go have a look at a red hand then have a look at Naismith

IWasThere2016
18-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Lthf

easty
18-10-2010, 02:42 PM
go have a look at a red hand then have a look at Naismith

Aye you're right, his hands no red. More fool me.

7Hero
18-10-2010, 02:43 PM
maybe hes into star trek, was it the vulcan sign he did !

7Hero
18-10-2010, 02:47 PM
right ive just watched it, its not looking very good for him..

nothing like shearer in fact

Sergio sledge
18-10-2010, 02:56 PM
maybe hes into star trek, was it the vulcan sign he did !

:greengrin

Doesn't look much like a red hand salute to me to be honest, other than the fact he is holding his hand up in the air. If we are going to be really picky like this I suppose Alan Shearer was making Nazi salutes every time he scored a goal?

blueisthecolour
18-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Aye you're right, his hands no red. More fool me.

What hand is he holding Up?

easty
18-10-2010, 03:19 PM
What hand is he holding Up?

Thats as irrelevant as the fact his hand isnt red.

Dunbar Hibee
18-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Nah....no allowances. Even if he was from NI it would be a stupid thing to do.

I know mate but just saying I could maybe 'understand' (Though thats not the right word) If he was Nothern Irish..

blueisthecolour
18-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Thats as irrelevant as the fact his hand isnt red.

No it's not the red hand is the right hand, its that simple, and anyone who wanted to hold his hand as if to be the red hand would not be so silly to make the mistake of holding the wrong hand up.

Nakedmanoncrack
18-10-2010, 03:34 PM
No it's not the red hand is the right hand, its that simple, and anyone who wanted to hold his hand as if to be the red hand would not be so silly to make the mistake of holding the wrong hand up.

That proves it then, because the sort of people who go about making these sort of gestures are obviously incapable of being 'silly'.:LOL::LOL:

Diclonius
18-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Apparently he gave exactly the same celebration to the Hearts fans after he scored the winner at Tynecastle, hence them throwing stuff onto the pitch.

I don't know why they were so angry; after all, it was Section N. :cool2:

easty
18-10-2010, 03:49 PM

A quick check of Wikipedia suggests it can be either hand, so maybe Naismith is more clued up than you about it..

Sergio sledge
18-10-2010, 03:56 PM
A quick check of Wikipedia suggests it can be either hand, so maybe Naismith is more clued up than you about it..

Where is it on wikipedia, I cant find it.

The red hand salute is always one armed, but to me it looks like he is holding up two arms. Am I alone in seeing this?

(((Fergus)))
18-10-2010, 04:08 PM

What was he doing then?

easty
18-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Where is it on wikipedia, I cant find it.

The red hand salute is always one armed, but to me it looks like he is holding up two arms. Am I alone in seeing this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hand_of_Ulster

Aye he puts two hands up but for me that just emphasises it. One hand up could have been construed as a Shearer style celebration, he put both hands up, hiding one behind the other.

It's totally obvious what he's doing in my opinion. Though, if he comes out with a sensible other reason for it then I'm willing to hear it.

magnificent_seven
18-10-2010, 05:18 PM
he's from Ayrshire,of course it's a Red Hand! ;)

blueisthecolour
18-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Mabe he is, but its only the right hand that is seen at ibrox:wink:

Ive never said im a expert the red hand doesn't do anything for me but im also not offended by it.

As Sergio sledge said yes it was 2 hands that was raised.

discman
18-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Aye he puts two hands up but for me that just emphasises it. One hand up could have been construed as a Shearer style celebration, he put both hands up, hiding one behind the other.

It's totally obvious what he's doing in my opinion. Though, if he comes out with a sensible other reason for it then I'm willing to hear it.

Maybe he was practicing his shadow puppets? Maybe......... :cool2:

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I must admit I was hoping for something more explicit than that. It's a pretty **** celebration, but it doesn't look much like a RHoU - for a start, it's not the Red Hands of Ulster IIRC, and Naismith clearly raises 2 hands.

He's still a wee fanny though.

Nameless
18-10-2010, 07:31 PM
He made a similar gesture after scoring against Hearts. He is pandering to the brain dead morons in the hun support......oh....that will be all of them then.

Joe Baker II
19-10-2010, 01:23 PM

It doesn't bother people other than a few mock-offended dimwts who post on forums such as tihs!

(((Fergus)))
19-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I must admit I was hoping for something more explicit than that. It's a pretty **** celebration, but it doesn't look much like a RHoU - for a start, it's not the Red Hands of Ulster IIRC, and Naismith clearly raises 2 hands.

He's still a wee fanny though.

It looked like he was using one hand to hold up the other, which, according to the legend of the red hand, is what happened.

If he wasn't doing that, then what was he doing. Blueisthecolour that is addressed to you.

New Corrie
19-10-2010, 01:55 PM
It doesn't bother people other than a few mock-offended dimwts who post on forums such as tihs!

Couldnt agree more.

JackRegan
19-10-2010, 02:29 PM
SOme hysteria on this thread :greengrin

it is not a "Red Hand" salute - whether or not such a thing exists is up for debate somewhere else.

Anyway, It was actually a "handcuff" gesture from Naismith who has an uncle in Prison, who is protesting his innocence (I have no details on what the offence is), however it is something that his uncle and by extension the Naismith family are actively protesting against.

It is cheesey and it does make Naismith out to be a bit of a ned when you look at players who have done this in the past, but I understand the family are genuine in their belief of the guys innocence.

blueisthecolour
19-10-2010, 07:00 PM
It looked like he was using one hand to hold up the other, which, according to the legend of the red hand, is what happened.

If he wasn't doing that, then what was he doing. Blueisthecolour that is addressed to you.

Thanks to my good friend:duck: Jack there you have the anwser.

Thanks Jack:top marks

Killiehibbie
19-10-2010, 07:09 PM
SOme hysteria on this thread :greengrin

it is not a "Red Hand" salute - whether or not such a thing exists is up for debate somewhere else.

Anyway, It was actually a "handcuff" gesture from Naismith who has an uncle in Prison, who is protesting his innocence (I have no details on what the offence is), however it is something that his uncle and by extension the Naismith family are actively protesting against.

It is cheesey and it does make Naismith out to be a bit of a ned when you look at players who have done this in the past, but I understand the family are genuine in their belief of the guys innocence.A funny looking handcuff gesture is it not? Hands held in front of him pointing down about waist height with thumbs close together would look more like somebody in cuffs. I'll ask a guy I know from Stewarton about his Uncle.

New Corrie
19-10-2010, 10:24 PM
A funny looking handcuff gesture is it not? Hands held in front of him pointing down about waist height with thumbs close together would look more like somebody in cuffs. I'll ask a guy I know from Stewarton about his Uncle.

We could insist that the SFA carry out a full enquiry on this. It really is a shambles and shows the OF at it's worst, we could maybe even demand a government enquiry. It really is shocking, and very upsetting and offensive.

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks to my good friend:duck: Jack there you have the anwser.

Thanks Jack:top marks

Get a room, you pair.

Wait, you already did. Well over a century ago.

nonshinyfinish
19-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Just read through this thread, then watch the incident in question...only one thought struck: 'Christ, is that it?'

People getting worked up over nothing, IMO.

1875godsgift
20-10-2010, 12:03 AM

You're taking the pish there hun boy.
It bothers me because its sectarian bigotry, and a lot of people have lost family and friends because of it.
Do you think it's justifiable?

Killiehibbie
20-10-2010, 07:12 AM
We could insist that the SFA carry out a full enquiry on this. It really is a shambles and shows the OF at it's worst, we could maybe even demand a government enquiry. It really is shocking, and very upsetting and offensive.The only shocking thing i've read on here is somebody suggesting it's a handcuff gesture. Feel free to call for an Inquiry if it bothers you that much.

1two
20-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Just remembered Alan shearer used to raise his hand when he scored, although I'm not sure if it was red or not??

I hope somebody breaks both his legs too now, bigotted Geordie bassa!

basehibby
20-10-2010, 09:06 AM

From the wiki site - "The Red Hand symbol is believed to have been used by the Uí Néill clan during its Nine Years' War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Years%27_War_(Ireland)) (1594–1603) against the spread of English control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_conquest_of_Ireland)."
"The Red Hand can be regarded as one of the very few cross-community symbols used in Northern Ireland. Due to its roots as a Gaelic Irish symbol"

Considering the above it's strange that the red hand is perceived as a unionist/loyalist symbol - in reality nothing could be further from the truth - it is a heraldic symbol for Ulster - simple as that!

Keith_M
20-10-2010, 10:58 AM
The red hand of ulster is on my clan coat of arms.

Does that make me a bigot?

:duck:

blueisthecolour
20-10-2010, 05:08 PM
You're taking the pish there hun boy.
It bothers me because its sectarian bigotry, and a lot of people have lost family and friends because of it.
Do you think it's justifiable?

The red hand is sectarian bigotry, are you serious have a word with yourself.

1875godsgift
20-10-2010, 11:59 PM
The red hand is sectarian bigotry, are you serious have a word with yourself.
I beg your pardon, where the **** are you coming from? And have a buckin word with yourself if you haven't got the mental capabilities to understand my point in the first place.

blueisthecolour
21-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I beg your pardon, where the **** are you coming from? And have a buckin word with yourself if you haven't got the mental capabilities to understand my point in the first place.

Would you explain how the red hand is sectarian.

lyonhibs
21-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Just read through this thread, then watch the incident in question...only one thought struck: 'Christ, is that it?'

People getting worked up over nothing, IMO.

:agree: :agree:

Killiehibbie
21-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Would you explain how the red hand is sectarian.In the same way Simply The Best is.

easty
21-10-2010, 12:20 PM

I can't explain why Mick Hucknall or Jay Kay are complete knobbers but it doesnt make it any less of a fact that they are..

Why all the fuss about Gazza playing the flute that time? I played flute at school (I didnt I was way too cool but anyway...) and it wasn't at all a sectarian thing. Could it be that in certain situations "adults" should know better?

blueisthecolour
21-10-2010, 12:38 PM
In the same way Simply The Best is.

Correct It's not

blueisthecolour
21-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I can't explain why Mick Hucknall or Jay Kay are complete knobbers but it doesnt make it any less of a fact that they are..

Why all the fuss about Gazza playing the flute that time? I played flute at school (I didnt I was way too cool but anyway...) and it wasn't at all a sectarian thing. Could it be that in certain situations "adults" should know better?

It's not fact, it's opinion, and your opinion and that of some others may differ.

Naismith plays for Rangers, that is fact.

Naismith is Rangers best player, that is opinion.

easty
21-10-2010, 02:08 PM
It's not fact, it's opinion, and your opinion and that of some others may differ.

Naismith plays for Rangers, that is fact.

Naismith is Rangers best player, that is opinion.

I think you'll find that Jay Kay and Mick Hucknall are without doubt knobbers. That is a fact, not an opinion.

I didnt say anything about Naismith being the best player in the Rangers team, in fact if you want my opinion on that (I'm sure you don't) then I'd not rate him as one of your top 5 players.

Killiehibbie
21-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Correct It's notNot until it gets played at ibrox.

1875godsgift
22-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Because it's painted on walls in Derry and Belfast in UDA/UDF/UFF murals?
Because it's a symbol on flags displayed by rangers fans who are renowned for being sectarian bigots?
Don't try to plead ignorance, you know exactly what the score is regarding the sectarian bigotry of your " fellow fellow " supporters, the sooner your vile parasite of a club is removed from Scottish football the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Keith_M
22-10-2010, 07:58 AM

If you read this article (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hand-over-fist-the-red-hand-of-ulster-still-has-the-power-to-divide-northern-ireland-1950412.html), it sums the problem up quite well.

The fact is that the origin of the Red Hand is in no way sectarian but has been "misappropriated" by a section of the community in Northern Ireland to represent their side, whether that be their religion or the terror groups that glorify the Red Hand.

But you know all this already, don't you...

"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

Skanko79
22-10-2010, 08:30 AM
god help us if a hibs player decided to celebrate in this way. would it be a red hand then?

to be honest, naismith is a daft wee prick, he has probably never seen a red hand of ulster in his life, its just the way he is celebrating his goal, did he no celebrate in the same way against the ****?

HibsMax
22-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Can't watch the clip as those BBC basrstewards won't let me watch it in my territory. :bitchy:

Can you guys watch video clips from US-based news / sports sites without having to jusmp through loops? I just want to know if the restrictions are more on (moron?) the UK side. I know the BBC have always been about the $$$. When I tell people about license fees over here they are surprised.

That said, the BBC produces some pretty decent stuff.

I just wish they gave non-UK residents some option to participate. I'll pay them $10 a year for the privilege.

Maybe I should be on a BBC forum? :wink:

Sir David Gray
22-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Can't watch the clip as those BBC basrstewards won't let me watch it in my territory. :bitchy:

Can you guys watch video clips from US-based news / sports sites without having to jusmp through loops? I just want to know if the restrictions are more on (moron?) the UK side. I know the BBC have always been about the $$$. When I tell people about license fees over here they are surprised.

That said, the BBC produces some pretty decent stuff.

I just wish they gave non-UK residents some option to participate. I'll pay them $10 a year for the privilege.

Maybe I should be on a BBC forum? :wink:

I seem to be able to watch clips on Fox News without any issues.