PDA

View Full Version : the 'cheap option'

bingo70
18-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Just mentioned this on the new manager mega thread but thought i'd give it a thread on it's own to get peoples thoughts...

I've heard Petrie being criticised for going for the cheap option, however, considering we're losing a rake money every year excluding player sales i'd have thought thats all we could afford?

I realise that if we pay big money for a good manager then it could end up paying for itself but is that not a gamble similar to what Dundee did and are now being slated for?

So what would people rather do, get a manager we can actually afford or gamble and spend outwith our means?

Beefster
18-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd rather they cut the playing squad budget by a few grand a week to pay the right man, if that's what it takes.

bingo70
18-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I'd rather they cut the playing squad budget by a few grand a week to pay the right man, if that's what it takes.

In theory, i agree, my only concern with that would be that if we were to go for an expensive manager i'm no sure he'd be happy with the playing budget being cut.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 11:21 AM
In theory, i agree, my only concern with that would be that if we were to go for an expensive manager i'm no sure he'd be happy with the playing budget being cut.

:agree:

bawheid
18-10-2010, 11:31 AM
My view is that no player at the club should be paid more than the manager. If that means re-jigging the player budget so be it.

Stevie Reid
18-10-2010, 11:38 AM
The "cheap option" refers to someone who will be paid handsomely yet within our means. The term agitates me almost as much as the Jamboesque "show some ambition" chat.