PDA

View Full Version : Dougie McDonald and Assistants, take a bow.

Mikeystewart
17-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I would like to applaud the referee for the Dundee United vs Celtic Game Dougie McDonald and his assistants for showing that they have guts in changing his mind about the penalty decision.

I haven't seen the replay but whatever the outcome should have been I think it shows extreme courage in a situation where most Referees would have folded under the pressure.:top marks

Diclonius
17-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Celtic fans showing their true colours and throwing their toys out the pram. Missiles on the pitch. The Greatest Fans In The World my arse.

Phil MaGlass
17-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Hope Utd hold out or sneak a win

Phil MaGlass
17-10-2010, 01:35 PM
5hit 1-2

Arch Stanton
17-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I would like to applaud the referee for the Dundee United vs Celtic Game Dougie McDonald and his assistants for showing that they have guts in changing his mind about the penalty decision.

I haven't seen the replay but whatever the outcome should have been I think it shows extreme courage in a situation where most Referees would have folded under the pressure.:top marks

I agree it absolutely right for the ref to change his mind if a mistake has been made.

I had a look in slo-mo and the only thing I could see was that, from the linesman view, Hooper (or whoever it was) had stopped to push the ball away from the goalie and then had to move forward again in order to go over the goalie. Mind you, from the other side it looked like the goalie brought the player down by barging into him.

YehButNoBut
17-10-2010, 01:37 PM
5hit 1-2

Happy with that I'd rather keep the likes of Utd & 'Well closer to us, let the old firm have their own battle. :agree:

Arteta has just put Everton 2 up over Liverpool.

matty_f
17-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Happy with that I'd rather keep the likes of Utd & 'Well closer to us, let the old firm have their own battle. :agree:

Arteta has just put Everton 2 up over Liverpool.

:agree: Agree with that - the OF can keep on winning as far as I'm concerned, except for when they play us.

Broken Gnome
17-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Is it just me, or is it blindingly obvious both why a penalty was given then rightly disallowed? Andy Walker et al. proved quite adept at blind idiocy for quite a while there.

Toaods
17-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Is it just me, or is it blindingly obvious both why a penalty was given then rightly disallowed? Andy Walker et al. proved quite adept at blind idiocy for quite a while there.

Agree 100% - looked a pen at first glance but Pernis played the ball before any contact was made and thereore totally right to not award the penalty.

Understandably frustrating for Celtic but Andy Walker was out of order slating McDonald. he inferred Mcdonald was weak and "who's in charge of this game is it the linesman?", etc...

For me it showed great judgement as he had obviously decided after the clash that his view may have been impaired and that the linesman had seen what had happened fully.

The fact Celtic won teh game was neither here nor there, McDonald showed again for me that he is the best referee in the SPL. The arrogant fools like Craig Thompson and Ian Brines would never had recinded the award.

Sir David Gray
17-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I personally thought that a penalty should have been awarded, if not for Pernis' challenge then definitely for the Kenneth challenge before it.

However that does not excuse the reaction from the Celtic fans, players and coaching staff. Neil Lennon's behaviour in particular towards the fourth official was disgraceful and how he wasn't sent to the stand is beyond belief.

madabouthibs
17-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I was hoping Utd. would go onto win it, if only to laugh at the Celtic reaction to that decision, which I thought was absolutely correct. :agree:

I love it when the OF don't get things their way, especially the reaction of the fans. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Andy ****** is an erse of the highest order and proved it today with his 'everyone's against us and we've been cheated' style outburst

IWasThere2016
17-10-2010, 06:02 PM
:agree: Agree with that - the OF can keep on winning as far as I'm concerned, except for when they play us.

:agree: Despise the OF and it is always amusing to see them lose but needs must.

Real pity the Yams won and didnae draw - or we'd have gained ground on all bar the OF!

Hibs Class
17-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Andy ****** is an erse of the highest order and proved it today with his 'everyone's against us and we've been cheated' style outburst

:agree: It always amazes me how a basic knowledge of the laws of the game doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for a commentator. (It's also telling how many of them are ex players).

PeeKay
17-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Peter Houston's post-match interview showed how well he has learned from the Leveine school of classlessness. Listening to him you would never have thought that the referee had actually recognised his mistake and changed his mind.

greenginger
18-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Agree 100% - looked a pen at first glance but Pernis played the ball before any contact was made and thereore totally right to not award the penalty.

Understandably frustrating for Celtic but Andy Walker was out of order slating McDonald. he inferred Mcdonald was weak and "who's in charge of this game is it the linesman?", etc...

For me it showed great judgement as he had obviously decided after the clash that his view may have been impaired and that the linesman had seen what had happened fully.

The fact Celtic won teh game was neither here nor there, McDonald showed again for me that he is the best referee in the SPL. The arrogant fools like Craig Thompson and Ian Brines would never had recinded the award.

I am convinced more than ever the ref or linesman are getting advice in their earpieces from somebody watching action replays on a T V monitor. They are obviously listening to something and it can't just be the opinion of the 4th official standing at the dug-outs.

talking_wiss
18-10-2010, 09:44 AM

I thought it was painful listening to Walker whine at what was a great decision in the end by the referee. The most ridiculous thing about his comments was the fact it would have been far easier and weaker for the ref just to allow his initial decision to stand. But instead the ref in the end did what he is paid to do, make what he feels is the correct decision.

SidBurns
18-10-2010, 10:41 AM
:agree: It always amazes me how a basic knowledge of the laws of the game doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for a commentator. (It's also telling how many of them are ex players).

It certainly does! The one that really gets me as a ref is the old "last man". The term "last man" doesn't exist in the Laws of the Game but still Burley, Walker, Gray etc all use it!

SidBurns
18-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I am convinced more than ever the ref or linesman are getting advice in their earpieces from somebody watching action replays on a T V monitor. They are obviously listening to something and it can't just be the opinion of the 4th official standing at the dug-outs.

The 4th Official is now ALLOWED to get involved in play. He cannot however, use a monitor or technology of any kind to do so.