PDA

View Full Version : Alistair Stevenson

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Statistically our best ever manager should someone else be appointed before Saturday, with a win rate of 100%.

Stevenson - Hibs legend. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I thought his team selection was bad, and he got lucky.

alex74
16-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I thought his team selection was bad, and he got lucky.Apart from nish what would have been your lineup today

Danderhall Hibs
16-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Statistically our best ever manager should someone else be appointed before Saturday, with a win rate of 100%.

Does Mark Proctor not beat him on goal difference?

HibbyAndy
16-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I may be clutching at straws here but isnt Gareth Evans joint manager? :confused:

Fantic
16-10-2010, 10:45 PM
We maybe need to look in before we look out! Just for a wee while

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Does Mark Proctor not beat him on goal difference?

Proctor played two, he lost the second one.

Danderhall Hibs
16-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Proctor played two, he lost the second one.

Did he? Who was that one against?

We must've taken ages to get the manager in that time as well then...

RoslinInstHibby
16-10-2010, 11:02 PM

:agree: would not have started with rankin or stevenson, tbh i would not have started with hogg either...shows what i know though:greengrin

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 11:02 PM

Aberdeen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6089786.stm

Danderhall Hibs
16-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Aberdeen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6089786.stm

I remember now - both his games were Monday night live on TV. It did take ages to get JC in.

OtterHibee
16-10-2010, 11:08 PM

There were three games in between Mowbray's departure and Collins being appointed. Venus took the first one (the derby.)

Whilst Mark and John Park were in temporary charge we hammered Dunfermline 0-4 at EEP before losing 2-1 to Aberdeen at Pittodrie the following week. That Dunfermline game was a delight to watch.

monktonharp
16-10-2010, 11:21 PM
:agree: would not have started with rankin or stevenson, tbh i would not have started with hogg either...shows what i know though:greengrin:agree: stevenson was like an accident waiting to happen. Rankin was...................well what can I say? Hogg,club captain, somehow dug out s vintage performance which earned him sponsor's mom.well done captain,no complaints , for doing a job that you are well paid to do.

_hucks_
16-10-2010, 11:24 PM
It was an understandable team selection, given the situation I think. These guys know they're only in temporary charge, not enough time to build up the manager player relationship you'd like to see coming from the dugout, so picked the players they've worked with plenty before and they know will play for them. And hey, it paid off.

Liam89
17-10-2010, 12:20 AM
He was right to start Stevenson IMO, I can bet you that Stevenson works his heart out at training and thats why he started him.

sparkiehibs
17-10-2010, 01:34 AM
It looked to me as if Gareth was Manager and Alistair was his Assistant

:confused::confused::confused:

sparkiehibs
17-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Apart from nish what would have been your lineup today

Brown

Hogg Bamba Hanlon Currie

Spoony Miller McBride Galbraith

Deek Nish

Hibs On Tour
17-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Remember he was also managing the U19's who won everything they were entered in a couple of years back.

Right good lad to boot! :agree:

GGTTH

[ps - thankfully he's not going for the top job - would only be a matter of time before we were all calling for his head!]

SMAXXA
17-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Not for me, our club goes far futher than 1 win all be it at home but, we need stability and dare i say it a high(ish) profile manager to come in and take us to the next level. I duno who but im sure Rod does :greengrin

Well done Ali and Gareth today take nothing away from them :thumbsup:

Jones28
17-10-2010, 08:23 AM

No, he got HOGGY! :notworthy:

Expecting Rain
17-10-2010, 08:27 AM
The team selection suggested that nobody learns anything at Easter Road.

Hibby Bairn
17-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I thought it was a team selection based on trust and graft. Even if that meant playing out of position.

And on that basis they got it correct.

TheBall'sRound
17-10-2010, 09:26 AM
:agree: stevenson was like an accident waiting to happen. Rankin was...................well what can I say? Hogg,club captain, somehow dug out s vintage performance which earned him sponsor's mom.well done captain,no complaints , for doing a job that you are well paid to do.

I actually felt, after a very ropey first 20 mins, Stevenson came onto a game and was close to our best player in the second half. He certainly wasn't getting much help from Rankin. The wee guy on Killie's right hardly kicked a ball in the second half.

Hibby D
17-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I thought it was a team selection based on trust and graft. Even if that meant playing out of position.

And on that basis they got it correct.

That's how I saw it :agree: once I got over the shock of hearing it :greengrin

Reaper
17-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Totally agree. IMO Hart's been one if not the best player this season. **** knows why he was on the bench. People will point out Hogg scoring twice but he was also at fault for their goal, no one near his man.

GreenPJ
17-10-2010, 10:22 AM

You make your own luck. He picked players who were British based and/or good knowledge of what you need in the SPL. Admittedly until Miller made a tackle half way through the first half we were not digging in but thankfully we showed enough fight to get a result.

The players were obviously low on confidence but managed to get the result and full credit to Evans and Stevenson for getting that out of them.

Wilson
17-10-2010, 10:23 AM

He put out his team and it won. We can all argue over who is playing, where he is playing them, and why some of them are anywhere near the first team. The bottom line is three points on the board - something all too rare for Hibs these days.

If he got lucky then fair enough - he has found some of that luck that has apparently deserted us week in week out for a good wee while.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2010, 10:44 AM
You make your own luck. He picked players who were British based and/or good knowledge of what you need in the SPL. Admittedly until Miller made a tackle half way through the first half we were not digging in but thankfully we showed enough fight to get a result.

The players were obviously low on confidence but managed to get the result and full credit to Evans and Stevenson for getting that out of them.

He put out his team and it won. We can all argue over who is playing, where he is playing them, and why some of them are anywhere near the first team. The bottom line is three points on the board - something all too rare for Hibs these days.

If he got lucky then fair enough - he has found some of that luck that has apparently deserted us week in week out for a good wee while.

I was glad we won, i was glad we were lucky, i was over the moon we took the 3 points. Imho though the same problems were still there. Tippy tappy football, 25 passes to get back to where they started, then a long punt up front for Nish to cock it up. Hogg scores 2 great headers, and thats fantastic, but to ignore both full backs defensive frailties would be folly imho. Both got ripped on numerous occasions, and we were lucky to survive at times.

No width again from midfield, little creativity if any, and up front a shambles. I'd swap Nish for Sammon (sp) tomorrow. Yes i stand by what i said, we got lucky, it was a poor team selection, but i'd take 3 points every week.

--------
17-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Actually, you're wrong. But I can't tell you who HAS the best record as Hibs coach/manager, 'cos I've forgotten.

When Bob Shankly left at the end of August 1969 after a poor League Cup qualifying section and a 3-0 defeat at Somerset Park from newly-promoted Ayr United, we went 6 games without appointing a replacement.

I can't remember who trained and picked the team, but the results over the following 6 games were as follows:

Hibs 2-0 St Mirren
Hibs 5-1 Partick Thistle
Celtic 1-2 Hibs
Hibs 3-1 Raith Rovers
Hearts 0-2 Hibs
Hibs 1-0 Morton

Played 6; won 6; goals scored 15; goals conceded 3; points 12/12 (2 for a win in those days).

Willie McFarlane was appointed after the Morton game and at the press conference the late great Stewart Brown of the EEN drew Willie's attention to these stats. Willie grinned and said, "Aye, how do I follow that?" He then took the team to Ibrox, played Peter Marinello at centre-forward, and came away with a 3-1 win.

IMO Tom Hart's first and BIGGEST mistake was falling out with, and sacking, Willie M.