PDA

View Full Version : What would you, as the new manager, think of the squad we have?

Hibeescott
16-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Sitting at the game today I thought, if I was the new manager coming in, had a look at the squad in front of me, what would I think.

and my first reaction was, what a shambles of a squad! And I don't mean that in terms of playing ability, but in the make up of the squad.

4 Goalkeepers. 3 of very similar ability (Brown, Stack and Smith) and Flynn.

1 Right Back. Hart

7 Centre Halfs. Hogg, Murray, Dickoh, Bamba, Stephens, Hanlon and Thicot.

1 Left Back. Grounds.

2 Right Midfielders. Zouma and D.

7 Centre Midfielders. Rankin, McBride, Miller, De Graaf, Stevenson, Welsh, Currie

1 Left Midfielder. Galbraith.

4 Strikers. Deeks, Trakys, Nish, Duffy. Only 2 are fit, and none with pace.

Ok a few of the players can play more than one position but I have put them in what I feel is their strongest position. The squad is so inbalanced its unreal.

As a new manager walking in the door, what would you think?

Vault Boy
16-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Sitting at the game today I thought, if I was the new manager coming in, had a look at the squad in front of me, what would I think.

and my first reaction was, what a shambles of a squad! And I don't mean that in terms of playing ability, but in the make up of the squad.

1 Right Back. Hart

1 Left Back. Grounds.

7 Centre Midfielders. Rankin, McBride, Miller, De Graaf, Stevenson, Welsh, Currie

Ok a few of the players can play more than one position but I have put them in what I feel is their strongest position. The squad is so inbalanced its unreal.

Agree with you there :agree:. I think as a squad we are very week, with the exception of Deeko, Miller, Bamba, Zouma (on his day and when fit), Wotherspoon (on his day) and Hanlon, the majority of the players are mediocre. If you compare it to other teams, such as the 2005/06 team, the strength of our first team isn't near to the strength of the '05/06 squad in general.
As for the manager, I would imagine would be worried that a lot of the first team players are at a standard that should only be at the club for squad thickening. I think he would recognise a good bit of 'Wheeling and dealing' should be done with limited funds, to get better quality first team players into the club.

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd sign a striker or two as a free agent on some short term deals. Griffiths and Curier anyone? :wink:

Wotherspiniesta
16-10-2010, 10:57 PM
The most obvious thing about the squad we have, is that is lacks pace throughout. Something that needs to be adressed ASAP by the new manager.

PapillonVert
16-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I would imagine he would think they were either chronic underachievers or a bunch of impostors masquerading as professional sportsmen.

Unfortunately, I fear he will find that the latter option is nearer the truth.

SteveHFC
16-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Out:
Nish
Trakys
Rankin

In:
Griffiths
Hasselbank-Nigel
Bannan (Loan)

Sir David Gray
16-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Out:
Nish
Trakys
Rankin

In:
Griffiths
Hasselbank-Nigel
Bannan (Loan)

Based on how he played on Monday night for the under-21's, I don't think there's any chance of us signing Barry Bannan, even on loan.

An Leargaidh
16-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Well in a post match splurge of euphoric wallet opening I went to the shop on my way back to the Waverley and bought a stadium coat in black. Looking at myself in the mirror back home I thought, "Jeez I look like a would be manager." :agree: so if I really was the new manager and I had watched the game today before taking up the reins of power I'm afraid I'd have to say the following:

Mr. Riordan, grumpy little lazy ***** standing about mostly waiting for others to deliver you set pieces and then going all "angry kid" because you couldn't do jack-**** with what was given. SACKED!

Mr. Nish, son you look like a new born baby giraffe that's had it's milk dosed with cocodomol. You used to justify your job with big springing headers but now the fags are catching up with you. You're starting to look like an NHS advert for giving up the 40 a day. SACKED!

On to the positives now :greengrin

Mr. Bamba, please don't ever leave, Tache please note and keep the cheque book handy!

Mr. Hogg, I admit I slagged you off for your usual "pass the ball to the Invisible Man" bollocks but then you scored two goals. :top marksFull marks for winning the match and :top marksfull marks for inspiring the rest of the team to participate above the level of Primary 7 as was the case for the first 37 minutes. I hope your apparent injury is nothing serious and you are back for the next match.

Mr. Rankin, please stay calm when you have the ball and a clear run to the opponent's net or it'll be adios my son. Just imagine you're playing in your back garden when you were a kid and concentrate on the "ball goes into goal" part which as they say in modern business is a Key Performance Indicator.

Overall Analysis

Having re-read what I've just written it seems to be a case of:

Brilliant defence and they can score goals too!
Mid-field needs improving in terms of overall coherence and communication
Fowards, load of absolute bollocks. When someone else starts doing your job for you it's time to consider your career options. I heard that the Edinburgh Trams will be hiring folk soon....

Okay lads, see me at the training ground, 0800 on Monday. Ta ta till then :greengrin

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Sitting at the game today I thought, if I was the new manager coming in, had a look at the squad in front of me, what would I think...
...As a new manager walking in the door, what would you think?

alex74
17-10-2010, 12:09 AM
well in a post match splurge of euphoric wallet opening i went to the shop on my way back to the waverley and bought a stadium coat in black. Looking at myself in the mirror back home i thought, "jeez i look like a would be manager." :agree: So if i really was the new manager and i had watched the game today before taking up the reins of power i'm afraid i'd have to say the following:

mr. Riordan, grumpy little lazy ***** standing about mostly waiting for others to deliver you set pieces and then going all "angry kid" because you couldn't do jack-**** with what was given. sacked!

mr. Nish, son you look like a new born baby giraffe that's had it's milk dosed with cocodomol. You used to justify your job with big springing headers but now the fags are catching up with you. You're starting to look like an nhs advert for giving up the 40 a day. sacked!

On to the positives now :greengrin

mr. Bamba, please don't ever leave, tache please note and keep the cheque book handy!

mr. Hogg, i admit i slagged you off for your usual "pass the ball to the invisible man" bollocks but then you scored two goals. :top marksfull marks for winning the match and :top marksfull marks for inspiring the rest of the team to participate above the level of primary 7 as was the case for the first 37 minutes. I hope your apparent injury is nothing serious and you are back for the next match.

mr. Rankin, please stay calm when you have the ball and a clear run to the opponent's net or it'll be adios my son. Just imagine you're playing in your back garden when you were a kid and concentrate on the "ball goes into goal" part which as they say in modern business is a key performance indicator.

Overall analysis

having re-read what i've just written it seems to be a case of:

brilliant defence and they can score goals too!
mid-field needs improving in terms of overall coherence and communication
fowards, load of absolute bollocks. When someone else starts doing your job for you it's time to consider your career options. I heard that the edinburgh trams will be hiring folk soon....

okay lads, see me at the training ground, 0800 on monday. Ta ta till then :greengrin

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:tiptop

jonny
17-10-2010, 12:13 AM

1 Right Back. Hart

1 Left Back. Grounds.

Agree with some of what you said there, although I think that Brown is head and shoulders above the other keepers we have. Looks solid and is yet to make a howler.
Kevin McCann is out on loan but is still our right back.

I'm sure Grounds is a centre half - played there for Norwich and did well, any time Ive seen him at left back he looks similar to Hogg at right back (minus the exquisite goals :wink:)
It could be argued that Murray is a left back, he's played there nearly his entire career.
Also, I'd say that De Graaf was a right sided midfielder and not a centre midfielder and Deek can be well utilised at left midfield.

Even aside from these slight differences of opinion it doesn't get away from the fact that our squad has little/no balance.

Thankfully I have the solutions.
I'd send Graham Smith to Hearts
Grounds back to Strachan
Sell or offload Thicot as he's surplus
Sell Rankin to the 2nd division as his ability is probably better suited there
Get shot of De Graaf as I think he's p1sh.
Trakys can go as well as you dont miss what youve never had. If the man cant get himself fit enough to play in 4 weeks then he's not a good enough professional - would probably have been better suited to the yams :jamboclow.

Bring in a quality right back, 2 quality left backs, a quality left midfielder, a quality right midfielder and a quality striker. 6 out, 6 in. Problem solved :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
17-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Scott - The new man might conclude also that his predecessor - given the poor quality and imbalance of the squad, the record breaking dross home record now history as the team won without him in post, that some players lack confidence, fitness, that some have poor attitudes, indiscipline etc - was the biggest wage thief of the lot? :dunno:

Expecting Rain
17-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Agree with you there :agree:. I think as a squad we are very week, with the exception of Deeko, Miller, Bamba, Zouma (on his day and when fit), Wotherspoon (on his day) and Hanlon, the majority of the players are mediocre. If you compare it to other teams, such as the 2005/06 team, the strength of our first team isn't near to the strength of the '05/06 squad in general.
As for the manager, I would imagine would be worried that a lot of the first team players are at a standard that should only be at the club for squad thickening. I think he would recognise a good bit of 'Wheeling and dealing' should be done with limited funds, to get better quality first team players into the club.

I agree, though i`d maybe add Bown, a fit again Hart and a rejuvenated Murray to the 4 mentioned, if i was sitting in the stand yesterday i`d be a worried man, i was gobsmacked by the team selection yesterday, looked like an act of sabotage and even more so when we went one down and almost two early doors, still just as well we`ve got a goal scoring makeshift right back to rely on if things go pear shaped and just as well we were playing a Kilmarnock team managed by Mixu.

patlowe
17-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I actually think the hibs job would be a great one to get at the moment as although the squad is a bit rank just now, it's unlikely to get relegated so the boss would pretty much have a free pass for the rest of the season. With so many out of contract, at that point he can get rid of everyone he deems inadequate and completely build his own team.

jdships
17-10-2010, 08:59 AM
The most obvious thing about the squad we have, is that is lacks pace throughout. Something that needs to be adressed ASAP by the new manager.

I try not to comment on rhe "let's criticise the manager " threads but must hold my hand up and agree with you .
Cannot remember when we last had pace from the wing backs and in the mid field.
For what its worth O would like to see that addressed "immediatly if not sooner "

:agree:

hibiedude
17-10-2010, 09:04 AM
We must look to build at the back first because we look to concede goals everytime the opposition attack.

And R01rdan needs help up front because Nish is not the answer

A lot of Yogi's signings should be shown the door in January

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Bamba will leave, lets not get all dewy eyed and start thinking Petrie will open the cheque book and keep him. He wants to leave, he's a trouble maker and his time is nearly up.

Riordan, the team needs him, we need players at the club to help him score the goals he undoubtedly will with decent players around him.

Miller, again better players around him will release him further forward to start and dictate a little better, he needs to play further up to make a mark on the game.
Keep the best of the kids from the 19s, the rest, apart from Wotherspoon and Hanlon, can leave for me. They have all been part of a team thats been poor, i dont see any that are good enough to take us forward pushing for a regular European place.

Edit i forgot about Michael Hart, keep him too.

Greenblood70
17-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Good OP, one of my greatest criticisms of the previous couple of managers was that I couldn't see us buying players to fit a plan that would work. The so called "Dutch style" only resulted in us passing the ball about (mostly in our own half) in front of other teams until we gave it away or ran out of ideas and hoofed it to Nish.

Defenders are terrified of pace..it's something we lack big time and means other teams can push right up the park on top of us without fear of being caught in behind. We're so easy to defend against because other than the mercurial Riordan our usual means of getting the ball forward is to try and hit Nish for knockdowns.

I think the first thing I'd be looking for as a new manager is wide players with pace and an O'connor type who can run beyond the centre halves. I reckon we can re-organise the rest of what we have adequately in the short term but this is our most pressing problem.

My other bug bear is the teams fitness..full marks for them for the shift put in yesterday but it was obvious about half the team was struggling wi 10-15 mins to go. That effort yesterday should be the norm rather than a notable exception and a good few players have to seriously consider what they've been doing fitness wise in the last couple of seasons.

bigstu
17-10-2010, 09:57 AM
we have a crap crap squad & Miller has never made it at any club he's been at & it doesn't look like he'll make it at hibs either, posted missing in most games

mixuok
17-10-2010, 10:22 AM
:thumbsup:
Bamba will leave, lets not get all dewy eyed and start thinking Petrie will open the cheque book and keep him. He wants to leave, he's a trouble maker and his time is nearly up.

Riordan, the team needs him, we need players at the club to help him score the goals he undoubtedly will with decent players around him.

Miller, again better players around him will release him further forward to start and dictate a little better, he needs to play further up to make a mark on the game.
Keep the best of the kids from the 19s, the rest, apart from Wotherspoon and Hanlon, can leave for me. They have all been part of a team thats been poor, i dont see any that are good enough to take us forward pushing for a regular European place.

Edit i forgot about Michael Hart, keep him too.

Hibeescott
17-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Agree with some of what you said there, although I think that Brown is head and shoulders above the other keepers we have. Looks solid and is yet to make a howler.
Kevin McCann is out on loan but is still our right back.

I'm sure Grounds is a centre half - played there for Norwich and did well, any time Ive seen him at left back he looks similar to Hogg at right back (minus the exquisite goals :wink:)
It could be argued that Murray is a left back, he's played there nearly his entire career.
Also, I'd say that De Graaf was a right sided midfielder and not a centre midfielder and Deek can be well utilised at left midfield.

Even aside from these slight differences of opinion it doesn't get away from the fact that our squad has little/no balance.

Thankfully I have the solutions.
I'd send Graham Smith to Hearts
Grounds back to Strachan
Sell or offload Thicot as he's surplus
Sell Rankin to the 2nd division as his ability is probably better suited there
Get shot of De Graaf as I think he's p1sh.
Trakys can go as well as you dont miss what youve never had. If the man cant get himself fit enough to play in 4 weeks then he's not a good enough professional - would probably have been better suited to the yams :jamboclow.

Bring in a quality right back, 2 quality left backs, a quality left midfielder, a quality right midfielder and a quality striker. 6 out, 6 in. Problem solved :thumbsup:

Again I agree with some of what you have.

I forgot about McCann so yeah there is another right back. I didnt realise Grounds had in fact played CH for Norwich, but that just adds to our centre halfs. I put players were I think they are best suited to playing NOW. Murray IMO doesn't have the pace to play full back anymore, hence why I put him in with CH. For the same reason I wouldnt play De Graff wide right. I find it hard to believe he played there at all as when he is meant to be playing there he constantly comes inside. And IMO deeks is wasted on the left. I agree Brown is the best of the 3, not sure if I would say head and shoulders better though.

Also agree with the folk who are saying we are desperately short of pace.