PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin

Winston Ingram
16-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Did he have his boots on the wrong feet today. He definately put in a shift today but he couldnae pass water

Josh 01
16-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Can't deny that he runs about a lot but he doesnt tackle when he actually gets to his man, his passing and crossing was terrible.
Not the only one in a poor midfield today.

Sir David Gray
16-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Definitely looked like someone who hadn't played for months.

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 08:12 PM
The guy got into several good positions up front with only a cross or pass needed for a goal and ****ed up every one.

He was certainly unlucky today but I think to progress as a club we need to be relegating players with the technical ability of John Rankin to the bench.

Vault Boy
16-10-2010, 08:27 PM
The guy got into several good positions up front with only a cross or pass needed for a goal and ****ed up every one.

He was certainly unlucky today but I think to progress as a club we need to be relegating players with the technical ability of John Rankin to the bench.

:agree:

Hiber-nation
16-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Definitely looked like someone who hadn't played for months.

:confused:

That's the 3rd game in a row he's started is it not? Anyway I love his workrate but he's a div 1 or bottom 6 player at best.

Sir David Gray
16-10-2010, 08:55 PM
:confused:

That's the 3rd game in a row he's started is it not? Anyway I love his workrate but he's a div 1 or bottom 6 player at best.

:hide: Sorry I'm talking nonsense. In my defence I am choked with the cold at the moment. :boo hoo:

Also, another reason for me saying that is that was the first home game that Rankin has started this season and I wasn't at the Kilmarnock cup game or the matches at Celtic or St Johnstone when he started as well.

Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them. :wink:

matty_f
16-10-2010, 09:23 PM
There were four players in our first 11 today that I don't think are good enough for Hibs - Hogg, Stevenson, Rankin, and Nish, and today (with the exception of Nish) they all showed terrific attitudes, worked very hard and were amongst our best players today.

I actually really like Rankin, for all his faults he never, ever hides in a game and tries his best from first whistle to last, no matter how many things go wrong for him.

If the rest of the team managed to get their attitudes to the same level as Rankin's then Yogi'd still have a job and we'd be sitting in the top half of the league.

Similarly, though (and I better add this before someone else does!) - if the rest of the team had the footballing ability of Rankin we'd probably be where we are now!:greengrin

Josh 01
16-10-2010, 09:55 PM
If you payed me the same as rankin id run about and never hide even although my passing, dribbling and shooting was nowhere near acceptable.

scott7_0(Prague)
17-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Hiber-nation 10:31 PM Yesterday

Anyway I love his workrate but he's a div 1 or bottom 6 player at best.

You forgetting Hibs are currently a bottom 6 team!

bingo70
17-10-2010, 07:08 AM
In a struggling team i'd have rankin in my team every time, no the greatest player in the world but hes got a terrific attitude! If everyone was as fit and was as up for it as he is every week we'd be much higher in the league than we are now

BroxburnHibee
17-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Fitness & workrate are not enough for me.

He may well put a shift in every time he's picked but he's just not good enough.

He's no the only one though - there needs to be a clearout.

Judas Iscariot
17-10-2010, 08:02 AM
He's pïsh

Ritchie
17-10-2010, 08:10 AM
He's pïsh

Your a terrible supporter
:greengrin

Hiber-nation
17-10-2010, 08:24 AM
You forgetting Hibs are currently a bottom 6 team!

I know but if we could possibly replace Rankin and Nish with a wee bit of quality then we'd be a top 6 team!

Hibbyradge
17-10-2010, 08:31 AM
There were four players in our first 11 today that I don't think are good enough for Hibs - Hogg, Stevenson, Rankin, and Nish, and today (with the exception of Nish) they all showed terrific attitudes, worked very hard and were amongst our best players today.

I actually really like Rankin, for all his faults he never, ever hides in a game and tries his best from first whistle to last, no matter how many things go wrong for him.

I'm surprised you didn't think Colin Nish put a good shift in yesterday.

I thought he won more than his fair share in the air and even when the defender beat him to the ball, Nish made it as difficult for him as possible and we won loads of thrown ins as a result.

A guy in front of us today was silent throughout the game apart from a couple of occasions when, like every player does, Colin Nish misplaced a pass or something.

The guy broke his silence to shout verbal abuse along the lines of, "Get off the park, Hogg, you're useless" etc.

No, your eyes don't deceive you. I think his slip is showing, don't you?

People see what they want to see.

I'd bet that Derek Riordan made more mistakes and contributed less than Colin Nish yesterday.

By the way, as this is a thread about John Rankin, I thought his work rate was fantastic, but his passing was woeful.

Are we getting a thread to discuss Louis Stevenson?

lucky
17-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Rankin is full of effort but he is avery limited footballer. As for Nish Im amazed if anyone thought he put a shift in yesterday. He was truley awful. Forever falling over or offside. Trakis must be even worse if he cant get game beore him.

scott7_0(Prague)
17-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I know but if we could possibly replace Rankin and Nish with a wee bit of quality then we'd be a top 6 team!

right, so thats the reason were pish this season.... jeezo, if only. You do know we dont have a manager at the moment as well!!:bitchy:

Hibbyradge
17-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Rankin is full of effort but he is avery limited footballer. As for Nish Im amazed if anyone thought he put a shift in yesterday. He was truley awful. Forever falling over or offside. Trakis must be even worse if he cant get game beore him.

If you expect any player to play poorly, that's what you'll see.

Nish contributed much, much more to the team effort yesterday than Derek Riordan, for example, but you want to focus on his negatives.

What about the headers he won, the touches down to his midfielders or the fact that he was always avalable as a target (the only target) when the keeper decided to go long, which was often?

He went for every ball, won a lot of them and kept the Killie defenders on their toes.

I like Derek Riordan and I appreciate that he has tons of skill and ability, but what did he contribute yesterday compared to Colin Nish?

With all the talent at his disposal, shouldn't we be angrier with him for not using it, rather than aim our blows at a more limited player who at least tries his best?

Which is the biggest sin?

PS I don't think Trakys is anywhere near match fit yet.

Dirkster23
17-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Nish contributed much, much more to the team effort yesterday than Derek Riordan, for example, but you want to focus on his negatives.

What about the headers he won, the touches down to his midfielders or the fact that he was always avalable as a target (the only target) when the keeper decided to go long, which was often?

He went for every ball, won a lot of them and kept the Killie defenders on their toes.

I like Derek Riordan and I appreciate that he has tons of skill and ability, but what did he contribute yesterday compared to Colin Nish?

With all the talent at his disposal, shouldn't we be angrier with him for not using it, rather than aim our blows at a more limited player who at least tries his best?

Boy behind us boo'd when Nish was announced in the team, was giving it "your p!sh Nish" if he didn't win a header but was strangely quiet when he did. When Nish went down injured at one point the boy shouts "i hope it something serious!" :bitchy:

--------
17-10-2010, 09:24 AM
If we moan about talented "big heads" who don't work or fight for the shirt, it seems a wee bit illogical to give pelters to players like Colin and John who may be limited in terms of the silkier skills but who always put in the effort?

Hopefully whoever has the team in the future can maybe get something like this commitment from the "more skilful players" - but I'd have to say I'd rather have 100% of John Rankin or Colin Nish than 50% of some Fancy Dan who really doesn't want to play for us.

E.T. is a Hibee
17-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Did he have his boots on the wrong feet today. He definately put in a shift today but he couldnae pass water

I think he is a good player for us and only when he goes will we miss him. In a midfield of small slight built players he seems to be the only one that is trully in the mix and is not scared of getting his foot on the ball and because of this he leaves himself open to be blasted when it doesn't work out.

Baldy Foghorn
17-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Boy behind us boo'd when Nish was announced in the team, was giving it "your p!sh Nish" if he didn't win a header but was strangely quiet when he did. When Nish went down injured at one point the boy shouts "i hope it something serious!" :bitchy:

Things like this annoy me, that is hardly what you would call a supporter:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
17-10-2010, 09:31 AM
If we moan about talented "big heads" who don't work or fight for the shirt, it seems a wee bit illogical to give pelters to players like Colin and John who may be limited in terms of the silkier skills but who always put in the effort?

Hopefully whoever has the team in the future can maybe get something like this commitment from the "more skilful players" - but I'd have to say I'd rather have 100% of John Rankin or Colin Nish than 50% of some Fancy Dan who really doesn't want to play for us.

:top marks:agree:

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd imagine any new manager will try to replace all the bad players in due course. Players like Nish/Rankin/Stevenson and Hogg have taken us as far as they can. Those players and a lot of others too have to go, they are not good enough, and never will be if we are to constantly challenge at the right end of the table.

Although i did say this 3 seasons ago, and again at the start of the previous season. :boo hoo:

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I know that sometimes it is not fair to pick on one event in the game that didn't come off and then try to base your opinion on that, but in the first half when all Rankin had to do was lift the ball forward to Riordan, and then instead, he near hit the corner flag. I mean FFS.

Winston Ingram
17-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I know that sometimes it is not fair to pick on one event in the game that didn't come off and then try to base your opinion on that, but in the first half when all Rankin had to do was lift the ball forward to Riordan, and then instead, he near hit the corner flag. I mean FFS.

That was terrible

--------
17-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I think he is a good player for us and only when he goes will we miss him. In a midfield of small slight built players he seems to be the only one that is trully in the mix and is not scared of getting his foot on the ball and because of this he leaves himself open to be blasted when it doesn't work out.

Right now we have a problem (allegedly) of attitude and commitment (or lack of it) among the first-team squad. IMO Alistair and Gareth did the right thing yesterday - they picked players they knew well, and whom they could trust to put in a full shift for them and for the team.

I'm sure that some of the guys on the bench are more gifted technically than John and Colin, but they've been playing for weeks now with little or no effect. Some of them have been playing for months without doing what they team did yesterday - winning a League game at ER. This was, after all, our first 3 points taken in the new stadium, and broke the worst run of home form in the memories of anyone on this forum.

If players like Grounds, Dickoh, Trakys and De Graaf can be induced to play with the same level of commitment and effort that JR displays then I would certainly want to see them playing. But if I were the new manager I would want to certain that they WERE fully committed to the cause, and not just using Hibs as a stepping-stone to somewhere else as they see out the last three or four years of their careers.

If one of the problems we have right now is a problem of attitude, maybe yesterday's team was exactly right. We lost a bad goal in 2 minutes (check out the match thread for our expectations at that point - most folks assumed we were going to lose the game) and then dug in, fought back, and scored two before half-time. Our scorer was the guy whose mistake had led to the Killie goal.

I don't say that the players in question are world-beaters (I know they're not - I'm sure that THEY know they're not) but right now I'd rather have moderate players doing their best than the best players in the world if they don't give a damn.

It must be pretty deflating for players who've come back into a losing side and helped to achieve our first home victory for long enough to be made aware through one of their own fans' websites that they're "pish" and ought to be sacked.

Part of the problem at Hibs is sitting in the stands.

jiggerman
17-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I think hibbyradge is spot on.

There is NO doubt yesterday that Nish contributed more than Riordan. Yes Nish slipped, failed to win the ball every time is came to him yesterday but Riordan did nothing as far as I could see - although I would add that was unusual for him and he is our best player!

Our fans abuse of Nish is shocking, booing a player when he goes.....ah stuff it, its been said time and again before. Its a disgrace.

On a related note, its funny the people knocking Nish, Stevenson, Rankin and Hogg when today we actually won a game of football because all these guys worked their socks off (why they are in the team!)........

Reaper
17-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I for one like Rankin, his attitude and workrate are first class BUT like alot of current players around Easter Road just now he sadly, and I do mean sadly, he's not quite up to the standard we would expect. Maybe at times we are unrealistic but I think the standard set at Hibs over the years is above what the team is showing just now, we'll never get away from that expectation.

I think John will find himself in the position of may at the end of the year, a handshake, thanks very much and good luck. He'd do well at St Mirren or Hamilton or the likes I think.

One other thing I would say is that if Rankin isn't up to scratch and is going to be shown the door, there's at least 12 others who should be before him.

jonny
17-10-2010, 12:46 PM

If this is the case he should be sacked. He's been training for weeks now and if he can't get himself fit enough to play in that time then he's clearly not applying himself. He should've had a decent level of fitness before he came to Hibs. Even if he wasn't playing regularly he's supposed to be a professional.

Completely agree with your comments about Nish and Deek yesterday :agree:

Rankin did play 1 good pass - 93 mins, plays a nice square ball through to Deek to make it 3-1 from 4 yards and he slammed it wide.
I like Rankin, how can you not when you see someone work so hard for the team you love? I am in the majority when it comes to opinion on skill level though - we need someone more skillful to move the team forward.

lyonhibs
17-10-2010, 07:38 PM
If this is the case he should be sacked. He's been training for weeks now and if he can't get himself fit enough to play in that time then he's clearly not applying himself. He should've had a decent level of fitness before he came to Hibs. Even if he wasn't playing regularly he's supposed to be a professional.

Completely agree with your comments about Nish and Deek yesterday :agree:

Rankin did play 1 good pass - 93 mins, plays a nice square ball through to Deek to make it 3-1 from 4 yards and he slammed it wide.
I like Rankin, how can you not when you see someone work so hard for the team you love? I am in the majority when it comes to opinion on skill level though - we need someone more skillful to move the team forward.

Riordan took weeks, if not longer, to get fully match fit when he first arrived at Hibs.

Thank god you weren't in charge back then.

Cropley10
17-10-2010, 07:46 PM

There is nothing to miss. He has been very ineffectual for a long while. Or are you at the wind up.

Hiber-nation
17-10-2010, 07:48 PM
right, so thats the reason were pish this season.... jeezo, if only. You do know we dont have a manager at the moment as well!!:bitchy:

I'm not saying its down to them - Rankin's hardly played until the last few weeks. I just think that they stand out as not being of the quality we need right now. I love Rankin's workrate but he gives the ball away constantly and that's not good enough.

greenlex
17-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I only recall two poor and I mean really poor passes from Rankin. As someone else further up has said I reckon unless ge is replaced with someone similar we would miss him. He would start fir me every week. His passing is not as bad as made out and may e his decision making isn't the greatest. If it was he wouldn't be at Hibs. I am afriad as long as we are in the position financially that we are he is about as good a box ti box player we can afford to have and probably keep.

JimBHibees
17-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I only recall two poor and I mean really poor passes from Rankin. As someone else further up has said I reckon unless ge is replaced with someone similar we would miss him. He would start fir me every week. His passing is not as bad as made out and may e his decision making isn't the greatest. If it was he wouldn't be at Hibs. I am afriad as long as we are in the position financially that we are he is about as good a box ti box player we can afford to have and probably keep.

I think where we are at the moment guys that are fit and committed with a bit of talent like Rankin should be in the team. He isnt everyones cup of tea but he is IMO a decent pro and dont think we are overendowed with that attribute at present.

--------
17-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I think where we are at the moment guys that are fit and committed with a bit of talent like Rankin should be in the team. He isnt everyones cup of tea but he is IMO a decent pro and dont think we are overendowed with that attribute at present.

We need fighters right now. Guys who'll back the coaches and help them on the training field.

Morale and attitude seem to have been at rock-bottom. :agree:

Arch Stanton
17-10-2010, 09:06 PM

I don't think either Nish or Riordan are that great at playing off the last defender's shoulder. Riordan can't do it at all and Nish, for me, spoils the good work he does by going offside so much - nothing to choose between the two for me really.

I'm not sure Trakys needs to be match fit - from the little I've seen of him he looks to have that lumbering strength that Mixu had in his hayday. If he does have that talent then he should do a job for us this season holding up the aimless launches into the box we use so much.

gringojoe
17-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Totally agree, John Rankin may not be the best player but you have to admit he gives his all for the jersey.

BroxburnHibee
17-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Totally agree, John Rankin may not be the best player but you have to admit he gives his all for the jersey.

I don't get this :confused: Isn't he paid to do that?

Ask any hibs fan to play for Hibs I'm sure they would give 100% every time.

Doesn't mean they should be anywhere near the team.

gringojoe
17-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't get this :confused: Isn't he paid to do that?

Ask any hibs fan to play for Hibs I'm sure they would give 100% every time.

Doesn't mean they should be anywhere near the team.

Shame the rest don't show his commitment instead of getting pissed, fighting amongst themselves, faking injuries and generally being unprofessional.

BroxburnHibee
17-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Shame the rest don't show his commitment instead of getting pissed, fighting amongst themselves, faking injuries and generally being unprofessional.

I don't doubt your point.

Its all this '100% committed' nonsense that gets on my wick.

There has to be a level of skill as well.

IMO he hasn't got it.

If we had 11 players who were as committed as him with the same skill level we'd be mid-table 1st division fodder at best.

gringojoe
17-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't doubt your point.

Its all this '100% committed' nonsense that gets on my wick.

There has to be a level of skill as well.

IMO he hasn't got it.

If we had 11 players who were as committed as him with the same skill level we'd be mid-table 1st division fodder at best.

Or we could have 11 George Bests be good when they turned up but the rest of the time we're ****ed.

BroxburnHibee
17-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Or we could have 11 George Bests be good when they turned up but the rest of the time we're ****ed.

Not really denying my point though :wink:

matty_f
17-10-2010, 10:03 PM

I thought he won more than his fair share in the air and even when the defender beat him to the ball, Nish made it as difficult for him as possible and we won loads of thrown ins as a result.

A guy in front of us today was silent throughout the game apart from a couple of occasions when, like every player does, Colin Nish misplaced a pass or something.

The guy broke his silence to shout verbal abuse along the lines of, "Get off the park, Hogg, you're useless" etc.

I'd bet that Derek Riordan made more mistakes and contributed less than Colin Nish yesterday.

By the way, as this is a thread about John Rankin, I thought his work rate was fantastic, but his passing was woeful.

I genuinely don't think Nish looked interested yesterday. He ran about a bit, but I'd expect that from a footballer. There was one cross in the first half that a striker who was really putting in a shift would have burst a gut trying to get his head on, and Nish made very little effort to go for it.

Maybe I am guilty of seeing what I expect to see with Nish, though I go into every game hoping every Hibs player plays well and works hard. I just don't think Nish put everything into the game yesterday. The number of offsides given against him was scandalous, and he was caught on his heels on more than one occasion.

Did he do better than Riordan? Wouldn't have been hard yesterday, to be fair.

As for Louis Stevenson, think we're more likely to see a thread about Lewis...:greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm with the Radge fellae in his defence of Nish but as for John Rankin I feel his effort and commitment are exemplary but his abilty to play and read the game are not up to the mark. Rankin was wide left midfield yesterday but did what he always does when playing that position - he wandered all over the place. Now I've heard it said he covers every blade of grass and that's testament to his physical fitness but his inability to read the situation that developed due to his wanderings was something I've seen him do more often than not. Against Killie his absence from his expected position constantly left Lewis Stevenson exposed when Killie attacked down the right.

I've now't against JR and God loves a trier but I'd have him high on my list of those I'd ship out :agree:

greenlex
17-10-2010, 10:13 PM
John could it be he is getting pulled out of position because he is covering ffor the frankly pedestrian midfield that is not pulling it's weight in that respect?
I'm with the Radge fellae in his defence of Nish but as for John Rankin I feel his effort and commitment are exemplary but his abilty to play and read the game are not up to the mark. Rankin was wide left midfield yesterday but did what he always does when playing that position - he wandered all over the place. Now I've heard it said he covers every blade of grass and that's testament to his physical fitness but his inability to read the situation that developed due to his wanderings was something I've seen him do more often than not. Against Killie his absence from his expected position constantly left Lewis Stevenson exposed when Killie attacked down the right.

I've now't against JR and God loves a trier but I'd have him high on my list of those I'd ship out :agree:

monktonharp
17-10-2010, 10:46 PM

He was certainly unlucky today but I think to progress as a club we need to be relegating players with the technical ability of John Rankin to the bench.I feel extremely unlucky,almost every time I have to watch certain Hibernian employees masquerading as actual football players.Rankin fits the bill, on a number of occasions. Last year,I posted on here that this would be make or break for him.he failed miserably imho.

monktonharp
17-10-2010, 10:51 PM

[/QUOTE]I actually dislike Rankin,for all his faults

greenlex
17-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I feel extremely unlucky,almost every time I have to watch certain Hibernian employees masquerading as actual football players.Rankin fits the bill, on a number of occasions. Last year,I posted on here that this would be make or break for him.he failed miserably imho.
What would make or break him Monkton? I don't follow you.

Jonnyboy
17-10-2010, 11:14 PM
John could it be he is getting pulled out of position because he is covering ffor the frankly pedestrian midfield that is not pulling it's weight in that respect?

Could be A, there's sense in that viewpoint :agree:

monktonharp
17-10-2010, 11:15 PM
What would make or break him Monkton? I don't follow you.follow this then Lex,John Rankin gets ball,releases it and finds man dressed in green and white. that would be a bloody start! or,John Rankin,goes looking for ball,chases after opponent,tackles without commiting foul and comes out with ball.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2010, 11:17 PM
follow this then Lex,John Rankin gets ball,releases it and finds man dressed in green and white. that would be a bloody start! or,John Rankin,goes looking for ball,chases after opponent,tackles without commiting foul and comes out with ball.

Don't be so ridiculous.

greenlex
17-10-2010, 11:24 PM
follow this then Lex,John Rankin gets ball,releases it and finds man dressed in green and white. that would be a bloody start! or,John Rankin,goes looking for ball,chases after opponent,tackles without commiting foul and comes out with ball.

There is a post further up about people seeing what they want or along those lines.
If he is as bad as you suggest hen he wouldn't be playing professionally and certainly not at our level. I reckon JR would get into any side outside the OF.
If he diesntget ir sign a new contract it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
I think he dies a whole lot better than most give him credit for. I did his stats for a game last year and if I can find them and who against I will post them on here again.
Would someone who is going on Saturday like to repeat the excercise?

monktonharp
17-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Don't be so ridiculous.oh dear, Hibs fan has different opinion than other Hibs fan(s). :yawn: dear John,i'm sorry

greenlex
17-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Stats from 30jan 2010. Can't remember who we were playing but I found them in my phone.
No tackilng stats as it was hard enough keeping up with the others and enjoy the game. Colin Nish scored the goal ironically. I remember that.

30i of 34passes made just over 88%
6 balls over the top (1 goal)
4 crosses 2 terrible.
2 clearances.
1 shot on target
2 headed passes to team mates.

monktonharp
17-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Don't be so ridiculous.er,...see post number 2, is he also being ridiculous?

jonny
17-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Riordan took weeks, if not longer, to get fully match fit when he first arrived at Hibs.

Thank god you weren't in charge back then.

Did he? Are you sure? ........ Didn't think so.

Riordan signed on the 31st August 08 and made his 2nd debut as a sub on the 13th September 08. There were no games between these dates and so he didn't miss a single game due to "lack of fitness".
He played his first full 90 the next week (20th Sep) against Hamilton and scored the only goal.
The next game was a 3-0 defeat by Rangers (28th Sep) and the game after that was a 2-1 win at Pittodrie (4th Oct) with Riordan scoring them both. That was 5 weeks after he signed.

You can argue about what "match fit" is but I don't think it applied to Riordan in the same manner as Trakys.

Trakys signed 5 weeks ago but has actually been here for 6, albeit the 1st was a trial spell. He is apparently still not fit enough to play - is that acceptable?

Absolutely no grounds for comparison between the 2. If you think there is then I'll leave you to your opinion - even if it is wrong.

truehibernian
18-10-2010, 12:19 AM

Riordan signed on the 31st August 08 and made his 2nd debut as a sub on the 13th September 08. There were no games between these dates and so he didn't miss a single game due to "lack of fitness".
He played his first full 90 the next week (20th Sep) against Hamilton and scored the only goal.
The next game was a 3-0 defeat by Rangers (28th Sep) and the game after that was a 2-1 win at Pittodrie (4th Oct) with Riordan scoring them both. That was 5 weeks after he signed.

You can argue about what "match fit" is but I don't think it applied to Riordan in the same manner as Trakys.

Trakys signed 5 weeks ago but has actually been here for 6, albeit the 1st was a trial spell. He is apparently still not fit enough to play - is that acceptable?

Absolutely no grounds for comparison between the 2. If you think there is then I'll leave you to your opinion - even if it is wrong.

Not detracting from your post (some points are valid), but I think Derek came on as a sub, away to Hamilton, and scored within a minute of him coming on (if memory serves me well). He also looked a stone overweight, but Derek has the kind of metabolism that means he can "get away with it" I think when it comes to general fitness.

brydekirk
18-10-2010, 12:25 AM

whats new their ?

jonny
18-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Not detracting from your post (some points are valid), but I think Derek came on as a sub, away to Hamilton, and scored within a minute of him coming on (if memory serves me well). He also looked a stone overweight, but Derek has the kind of metabolism that means he can "get away with it" I think when it comes to general fitness.

Just checked BBC, he came on as a sub after 38 mins (presumably for an injured striker) against Hamilton and he did score within a minute of coming on the park. Despite missing the majority of the 1st half he was still given BBC man of the match. He started his first game against Rangers the week after. The next week at Aberdeen he was also given BBC man of the match.
So in his first 5 weeks he'd scored 3 goals and had 2 MoM awards.

Even aside from my 38 minute inaccuracy and Derek's metabolism the return of the 2 players after 5 weeks cant be compared.

Holmesdale Hibs
18-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't mind Rankin and think we should hold on to him as a squad player. As has been said, he's not technically gifted but his workrate goes a long way to making up for that and he generally does ok when he plays. He was poor on Saturday although he was clearly trying so don't want to be too critical.

The problem for me is that there is a real lack of creativity in midfield. Miller was the only one that was trying to pass the ball forward . Rankin\McBride are decent defensive midfielders and workers but don't create enough. Wotherspoon is great prospect and a good player. He'll run at defenders and is direct but is not a playmaker. I think we need someone who will create more chances and score the odd goal and for this reason I would offer Zemmama a pay-as-you-play contract.

Keith_M
18-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Do you sit in the East Stand perchance? I was sitting along from a guy who said that very thing, along with slating Hogg at every opportunity....

...until he had to shut up after the first goal. :greengrin

Oh aye, he also shouted dogs abuse at Stevenson for his team selection, with prize comments like "Call yourself a f****** manager?" - Eh, naw mate, he disnae.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2010, 11:25 AM
oh dear, Hibs fan has different opinion than other Hibs fan(s). :yawn: dear John,i'm sorry

:lips seal :greengrin

3pm
18-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I am not a big Rankin fan but...

It's not his fault someone signed him. He had the opportunity to join Hibs, he perceived it to be step up so fair play to him for taking it. If he's not good enough, it was the job of Hughes and Mixu to replace him with someone better or adopt a style of play where he won't get a game.

Also, I wish Liam Miller would take a leaf out his book and apply the same work ethic. If Miller applied JR's work ethic he might not be too far away from the Premiership again.

Rankin isn't good enough but he tries. Someone of his teammates - with more ability - would do well to take note.

Chuck Rhoades
18-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I dont get all this Rankin cr*p.

He is not our best player, we should have a better midfielder, but we don't.

He works his socks off, although not the best technically. At the end of the day its the Gaffer that selects Rankin for the squad, so if your unhappy at him playing get on the Gaffer's back and not Rankins?

--------
18-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Do you sit in the East Stand perchance? I was sitting along from a guy who said that very thing, along with slating Hogg at every opportunity....

...until he had to shut up after the first goal. :greengrin

Oh aye, he also shouted dogs abuse at Stevenson for his team selection, with prize comments like "Call yourself a f****** manager?" - Eh, naw mate, he disnae.

Every team has them. We just seem to have more of them than other teams.

Trouble is, it's catching. You have a couple of Foghorn Leghorns bellowing abuse - Ah say, bellowing abuse :wink: - at the scapegoat of the day/week/month/season for fifteen minutes or so, and then other folks start to join in.

The basic fact is that whatever we may think of Alistair Stevenson and Gareth Evans, or of their team selection on Saturday, or of individual players like Hogg, Rankin, Stevenson or Nish, we had gone SEVEN months without a win at ER. I've been a Hibee for nearly 50 years and that's the worst run of home results in my experience. The team on Saturday - whatever their shortcomings, perceived or real - stopped the rot and got us the points. For that they all deserve a wee bit of credit, not abuse. I don't mean we should take leave of reality - we do that all too easily these days - but we shouldn't be abusing them the way some of us have been doing.

Hibs have problems. These problems aren't insoluble. Sorting things out will take time, however. Three managers in four and a half years isn't funny. The board need to get it right, and I for one am glad they're taking their time. The new boss - whoever he is - will need to take stock of ALL the players on the books before he decides who to keep and who to move on. But we DO need to give the guy time, and maybe letting Alistair and Gareth get on with things for a few weeks is the best thing the board can do right now.

"Let time pass, for time helps more than reasoning...." :cool2:

lyonhibs
18-10-2010, 12:33 PM

It's all about opinions - I don't doubt that Riordan has magic in his boots that Trakys won't have, but there's no doubt 9IMO) he wasn't up to speed stamina-wise for a good wee while after he signed. That said, his stamina and workrate have improved immeasurably in his 2nd spell, all things being relative of course.

My point was that if indeed Trakys simply isn't match-fit (and I mean that's there's been no extenuating circumstance like knocks/tweaks that may have delayed his recovery - who knows??) then I doubt it would be because of lack of application in training, unless he has absolute rocks for brains.

He certainly shouldn't be getting sacked, especially when he's providing the only direct competition for Nish, competition for places that we desperately need

Also, of course, there's one of football's great mystery cycles to be thought of.

Playing devil's advocate, how does one get "match-fit", having played bugger all matches?? But then again, if he's not match-fit, why should he get to play in matches??

And so on and so forth.

jonny
19-10-2010, 12:40 AM
It's all about opinions - I don't doubt that Riordan has magic in his boots that Trakys won't have, but there's no doubt 9IMO) he wasn't up to speed stamina-wise for a good wee while after he signed. That said, his stamina and workrate have improved immeasurably in his 2nd spell, all things being relative of course.

My point was that if indeed Trakys simply isn't match-fit (and I mean that's there's been no extenuating circumstance like knocks/tweaks that may have delayed his recovery - who knows??) then I doubt it would be because of lack of application in training, unless he has absolute rocks for brains.

He certainly shouldn't be getting sacked, especially when he's providing the only direct competition for Nish, competition for places that we desperately need

Also, of course, there's one of football's great mystery cycles to be thought of.

Playing devil's advocate, how does one get "match-fit", having played bugger all matches?? But then again, if he's not match-fit, why should he get to play in matches??

And so on and so forth.

Agreed that we need competition for places - especially up front, but if Trakys can't get himself fit then he isn't providing that. He may have had a wee knock or something we haven't heard about but things like that are normally communicated through the media or through the official site and so I think it's unlikely.
He may very well have "rocks for brains" or simply might not be very good.......

I'd like to be surprised by him (I really would.. Honest!), just can't see it and unfortunately only see him as a waste of a wage at the moment.

Out of curiosity, do you know if he's contracted to the end of the season or only until January? If it's January then I'd think he'd better get working hard or he'll be looking for the 17th club of his career.

SaudiHibby
20-10-2010, 04:54 AM
The very day that I accept that players like Rankin, Nish and Hogg are at the level I want to pay to watch as a Hibs fan is the day I give up spending a small countries GDP to fly over :grr:

Spoony is at that level, Deek wasn't on the day but I have seen enough of him to say he is and Bamba (although I hear he is a complete erse of a man) is. I would go as far as saying that McBride and Miller are but I would obviously like better.

Some of the football on show was shocking on Saturday. :agree:

Winston Ingram
20-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I dont get all this Rankin cr*p.

He is not our best player, we should have a better midfielder, but we don't.

He works his socks off, although not the best technically. At the end of the day its the Gaffer that selects Rankin for the squad, so if your unhappy at him playing get on the Gaffer's back and not Rankins?

I understand he works hard but surely the purpose of working hard is to get possession back? Rankin just gives them it straight back when he gets it so therefore he is a pointless waste of a jersey.

Yogi always banged on about playing good football. I could never understand how a man who claimed this as his philosophy would then hand a jersey to a man that can't pass a ball:confused:

500miles
20-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Poor passing from Rankin is a bit of a myth. There have been far poorer passers of the ball at Hibs than Rankin - a player who can make simple passes, but actually takes the risk of working in tight areas, whereas other members of our team would rather play keep ball along the back four.

His willingness to make the more difficult pass probably lends itself to the reputation he has on this board as a poor passer.

silverhibee
20-10-2010, 03:37 PM

One assist in the game, what did Nish contribute.

500miles
20-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Nish won several headers in advanced areas - sadly his partner up front was missing from open play all day. As well as one or two crucial headers when we were on the defensive.

He also kept tabs on Eremenko throughout the game, who had been causing problems and scoring against teams early in the season.

If Riordan's only contribution in the game was a 20ft+ high floated corner in, then this isn't an arguement that you can really stand by.

skipster7
20-10-2010, 05:51 PM
apart from offering our ONLY option for a pass forward not a lot.thought the lack of movement from our front 2 was shocking, and when they did move they ended up making the same run !!
it must be frustrating looking up for a pass and your strikers are like statues for most of the game.

Winston Ingram
20-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Poor passing from Rankin is a bit of a myth. There have been far poorer passers of the ball at Hibs than Rankin - a player who can make simple passes, but actually takes the risk of working in tight areas, whereas other members of our team would rather play keep ball along the back four.

His willingness to make the more difficult pass probably lends itself to the reputation he has on this board as a poor passer.

A good passer is someone that cannot only play a pass but the right pass. He can do neither

Technically he is a poor passer and mentally he makes the wrong decisions. He can't help going for the World Cup pass despite rarely getting them on target. The worst thing about that is as he's getting older he's still not learning

Albion Hibs
20-10-2010, 06:43 PM

He was not the best on Saturday, but I guess he was part of a winning team so I would not change him for this saturday. Regardless he ran his n$ts off for the full game, and a shift is what we need just now.

He, like Miller, is stuck trying to pass to wide players who dont know went to move / not to, and a front two that are very wooden at times, reluctant to take up a position anywhere other than through the middle.

Winston Ingram
20-10-2010, 08:48 PM
He was not the best on Saturday, but I guess he was part of a winning team so I would not change him for this saturday. Regardless he ran his n$ts off for the full game, and a shift is what we need just now.

He, like Miller, is stuck trying to pass to wide players who dont know went to move / not to, and a front two that are very wooden at times, reluctant to take up a position anywhere other than through the middle.

It wouldn't have mattered if they were 5 ft away from him, he still wouldn't have found them