PDA

View Full Version : Centre Midfield

Hibby Bairn
16-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Murder. Just murder.

Miller and McBride never ever make themselves available for a pass other than in their own half. At throw ins they jog over and stand beside an opposition player pretending to be 'looking' for the ball.

Never play a telling through ball. Never shoot. Fall out of the game every week last 20 mins.

They were carried today by David Wotherspoon who had a tremendous game doing everything they weren't.

A major part of our current predicament.

alex74
16-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Murder. Just murder.

Miller and McBride never ever make themselves available for a pass other than in their own half. At throw ins they jog over and stand beside an opposition player pretending to be 'looking' for the ball.

Never play a telling through ball. Never shoot. Fall out of the game every week last 20 mins.

They were carried today by David Wotherspoon who had a tremendous game doing everything they weren't.

Agree with that mcbride takes too long to pass the ball but a would keep miller in there with bamba

Westie1875
16-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Murder. Just murder.

Completely agree with this, it was painful watching them today. They also both take about 3 hours to decide what they want to do with the ball which slows down any attacks we try to build up, the new man needs to sort this out.

RyeSloan
16-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Sure he will and I'msure it will be McBride...the guy is simply too slow and too defensive. He might be useful when Hibs are trying to 'park the bus' but is a total 'luxury' when trying to impose ourselves on a game...his uber defensive style simply leaves too much for the remaining three to do. Sure a 'defensive' tackling midfielder is probably what we ned but we need one that is mobile and can cover McBides role as well as adding soem forward movement. I suppose that's what De Graffe was maybe meant to be!

As for Miller, I like his ability to spot a pass....whle making time for yourself can be the sign of a quality player he does linger in possession too long too often but I think with the righ partner in midfield would be more than good enough to influence games for us.

kaz62
16-10-2010, 07:08 PM
liam millar has never kicked a ball since motherwell 1st game of season, has all the ability 2 b a top player at hibs but vastly under performs week in week out we've played what i'd class 4 of the bottom teams recently and hes never shone in any of them im just glad other people are seeing it now, apart from a handful of games hes been murder every week a complete waste of talent.:grr:

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I think McBride is excellent in being the link between the defence and the attack. He almost never misplaces a pass and his positional sense is excellent. He's the midfielder who can "bloody pass the ball" we were all craving when Mixu was in charge.

I'd drop Miller who really is not playing well right now and putting in a hard tackling guy alongside McBride, maybe Bamba or Thicot or even Rankin.

Duffys13
16-10-2010, 07:23 PM
liam millar has never kicked a ball since motherwell 1st game of season, has all the ability 2 b a top player at hibs but vastly under performs week in week out we've played what i'd class 4 of the bottom teams recently and hes never shone in any of them im just glad other people are seeing it now, apart from a handful of games hes been murder every week a complete waste of talent.:grr:

I posted similar a month a go and was slated. Miller really disapoints me, he should be doing a lot more us, especially today without a manager etc etc. Class Footballers would come to the front and stick their neck out and lead a team, i saw none of that today from him.

Hibeescott
16-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Murder. Just murder.

Spot on! I was watching them alot today and I noticed the same thing. You mentioned Wotherspoon correctly again, in the build up to the second goal, whoever had the ball was waiting on one of the centre midfielders showing for the ball but didnt, wotherspoon runs 20 yards to do there job for them, lays it back to hanlon who plays the ball up to Hogg for the goal. Here is my thoughts I just put on the Bounce.....

McBride at the start of last season was our best player, no question, and whenever he went out the team we sorely missed him. Miller IMO is the best midfielder we have at the club, and probably by some distance.

Today I was watching them alot, and it amazed me how little that both of them showed for the ball, or even looked remotely interested in getting it. Yes that comes down to them, but I also think the manager should be very specific in the role that he wants them to play. McBride can play the sitting midfield role well, and can pick up the ball, but he didnt today. A few people on the bounce were saying Miller isn't the type of player to get forward, but why can't he be? If that was the role given to him.

Both of them held the shape today well, but done nothing other than that. Despite that I think they are our best midfield pair, and I hope the new manager can get more out of them.

alex74
16-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I think McBride is excellent in being the link between the defence and the attack. He almost never misplaces a pass and his positional sense is excellent. He's the midfielder who can "bloody pass the ball" we were all craving when Mixu was in charge.

I'd drop Miller who really is not playing well right now and putting in a hard tackling guy alongside McBride, maybe Bamba or Thicot or even Rankin.Winding us up a hope

Greenblood70
16-10-2010, 07:52 PM
We all know that when Miller is in the mood and turns it on he is a great asset to any midfield. Unfortunately my patience is starting to wear thin waiting for the rare occassions this happens.

He seems to have a heart the size of a pea which is the thing that frustrates me most as a fan.

I really don't understand what role he is playing in our midfield at all, he doesn't really create and the game seems to pass him by for long periods.

Broken Gnome
16-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Completely agree with this, it was painful watching them today. They also both take about 3 hours to decide what they want to do with the ball which slows down any attacks we try to build up, the new man needs to sort this out.

To be fair, there is painfully little going on around them. I know they should influence games more, but they're made a look a lot more ineffective than they actually are because of the team's lack of pace and movement. If one of them was a Scott Brown type then fine, but hey, they're not.

The usual Miller 'heartless' comment has been made elsewhere as well, I thought he stuck his foot in today pretty well.

Hibby Bairn
16-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Just finished watching Barcelona and Iniesta. He is about 5 times as fit as our centre midfielders and that means he is on the go for 90 mins....almost unplayable. We have statues in comparison.

fife hfc
16-10-2010, 08:12 PM
To be fair, there is painfully little going on around them. I know they should influence games more, but they're made a look a lot more ineffective than they actually are because of the team's lack of pace and movement. If one of them was a Scott Brown type then fine, but hey, they're not.

The usual Miller 'heartless' comment has been made elsewhere as well, I thought he stuck his foot in today pretty well.

:top marks If you look up and all you see is statues up front then you tend to hold onto the ball for a few seconds more and get closed down. It is the lack of movement from the forward areas and wide areas that make them look slow in possession. miller did tackle today but him and mcbride are not physical enough and get bullied too easy. Bamba should be pushed into midfield, with Hogg and hanlon in the middle (remember bamba will supply cover). bamba sitting with Miller getting more freedom to push forward with Wotherspoon and galbraith providing the width.

Hibby Bairn
16-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Nah...I'm not buying 'it's lack of movement/pace elsewhere' that is the problem. Miller is an above average player. Should be better than hibs tbh. But he is just not interested in demanding the ball and switching play from side to side, back to front. He takes it when given it. But is quite happy not to take it. McBride is the same.

Other than a pointless 10 yard pass exchange with either Bamba or Hanlon which is not followed up by a move to a different space or angle...they contribute very little to any back to front build up play.

Iggy Pope
16-10-2010, 08:38 PM

I'd drop Miller who really is not playing well right now and putting in a hard tackling guy alongside McBride, maybe Bamba or Thicot or even Rankin.

What?
I'm thinking fish suppers......

Diclonius
16-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Winding us up a hope

Care to provide a counter argument? :dunno:

sam armstrong
16-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Spot on! I was watching them alot today and I noticed the same thing. You mentioned Wotherspoon correctly again, in the build up to the second goal, whoever had the ball was waiting on one of the centre midfielders showing for the ball but didnt, wotherspoon runs 20 yards to do there job for them, lays it back to hanlon who plays the ball up to Hogg for the goal. Here is my thoughts I just put on the Bounce.....

McBride at the start of last season was our best player, no question, and whenever he went out the team we sorely missed him. Miller IMO is the best midfielder we have at the club, and probably by some distance.

Today I was watching them alot, and it amazed me how little that both of them showed for the ball, or even looked remotely interested in getting it. Yes that comes down to them, but I also think the manager should be very specific in the role that he wants them to play. McBride can play the sitting midfield role well, and can pick up the ball, but he didnt today. A few people on the bounce were saying Miller isn't the type of player to get forward, but why can't he be? If that was the role given to him.

Both of them held the shape today well, but done nothing other than that. Despite that I think they are our best midfield pair, and I hope the new manager can get more out of them.

They are never going to be a midfield combination. We have been outfought by all the other SPL teams in midfield twice or three time over now. No strength, no pace, no creativity, and very few goals. One of tha main problems during the Hughes time as manager was his insistence on playing these two as a partnership.

The Harp Awakes
16-10-2010, 10:24 PM
:top marks If you look up and all you see is statues up front then you tend to hold onto the ball for a few seconds more and get closed down. It is the lack of movement from the forward areas and wide areas that make them look slow in possession. miller did tackle today but him and mcbride are not physical enough and get bullied too easy. Bamba should be pushed into midfield, with Hogg and hanlon in the middle (remember bamba will supply cover). bamba sitting with Miller getting more freedom to push forward with Wotherspoon and galbraith providing the width.

Totally agree. Miller is easily the best footballer we have in the squad. The problem is there is no movement up front and nobody going wide. There is no out ball and Miller in trying to keep possession holds onto the ball too long or is forced to pass back. McBride has the same problem but scarcely loses the ball or misplaces a pass.

These are the 2 guys who made us tick in the 1st part of last season and they will be the key part of any recovery assuming we get one with a new manager.

Hibeescott
17-10-2010, 02:01 PM
They are never going to be a midfield combination. We have been outfought by all the other SPL teams in midfield twice or three time over now. No strength, no pace, no creativity, and very few goals. One of tha main problems during the Hughes time as manager was his insistence on playing these two as a partnership.

I very much disagree. We were pushing the old firm for over half the season with those 2 as a centre midfield partnership. If we had 2 good wide midfielders on either side of them and both of them were given specific roles to play then they could be very good.

pacorosssco
17-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Kevin Mcbride - I have never seen the fuss. Was he good last year or was the whole team playing better and he made a few telling moves.Did he like the team carry a little luck with performences? This guy was hopeless at Falkirk and Motherwell didnt see anything in him to keep him. I dont doubt hes an honest pro but at 30 what can we say of the last 5 years of his career? . Hibs have been overrun in midfield for his time at club and he cant tackle. If we are do better there is no place for him in the team I would argue the squad. No better than Brian Kerr.

Liam Miller has been rubbish this season and the tale end of last but he is being dragged in to positions he doesnt need to be. If played just behind front two or in attacking position with less emphasis on winning ball will find form again

Seveno
17-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Their loss of 'form' or interest coincides with the teams dramatic poor performance. McBride at least tries but we should expect much more of Miller.

Where is the hunger for the ball and the driving runs that we saw this time last season from MIller ?

With a new Manager coming, it's going to be ship up or ship out time.

Albion Hibs
18-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Totally agree. Miller is easily the best footballer we have in the squad. The problem is there is no movement up front and nobody going wide. There is no out ball and Miller in trying to keep possession holds onto the ball too long or is forced to pass back. McBride has the same problem but scarcely loses the ball or misplaces a pass.

These are the 2 guys who made us tick in the 1st part of last season and they will be the key part of any recovery assuming we get one with a new manager.

I will also agree, Miller has more ability than the majority at the club and def in the midfield.

Mcbride - does a job that any of our younger players could do, he is horrific at making space for a pass, and seems to walk round on LM heels rather than create room for a pass.

Rankin - hard worker, could easily do the mcbride role and perhaps offer more.

Wotherspoon - was as good on saturday as i have seen him in a long time, he is still too slow at moving up the pitch, and tends to hide a lightly, hopefully these traits will disappear as his confidence improves.

The main problem is LM never has ab obvious pass, or mid dont move for him and are CF are wooden / never move.

talking_wiss
18-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I think the biggest thing McBride and Miller suffer from is the complete and utter lack of pace all over the park and therefore very little options to pass to. No hibs player seems capable of taking on anything these days, except Deek when he's close to goal or Nish fighting gravity.

HibeePaj
18-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Agree, however the annoying thing is that we know they are both much better players than we have seen of late. I think it comes purely from a poor attitude, MILLER seems to be playing with an 'i used to play for Man Utd' attitude and MCBRIDE seems to have lost something since he was given the armband however definately think he puts in a good shift compared to Miller.

Seeing as i feel it is an attitude i do think that all it takes is the change of regime, and a new manager to give them a right boot up the backside to get them back on form. (SOMETHING I FEEL THE WHOLE TEAM IS NEEDING).

PAGET