PDA

View Full Version : NHC RIP Malcolm Allison

khib70
15-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Big Mal has passed away aged 83. A great and innovative coach, and a genuine character, from the days when football had such people.

A Man City legend, obviously, but an influential and challenging figure in the game of his time, and on the development of the game over the years.

RIP

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/5/15/1242406564137/Malcolm-Allison-001.jpg

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-10-2010, 12:28 PM
A larger than life guy who certainly didn't mince his words, he came across rather arrogant at times and was a real flash geezer but there was no doubting his coaching ability

BullbreedHFC
15-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Big Mal was the city boss on my first visit to maine rd ....... R.I.P

jdships
15-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Big Mal has passed away aged 83. A great and innovative coach, and a genuine character, from the days when football had such people.

A Man City legend, obviously, but an influential and challenging figure in the game of his time, and on the development of the game over the years.

RIP

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/5/15/1242406564137/Malcolm-Allison-001.jpg

Heard him speak at a dinner at Charlton Athletic ( his first club) in 1981 after he left Chrystal Palace and always remember his throw away line
"You're not a real manager unless you've been sacked and it's happened to me five times now veryone thinks I'm brilliant " !!!!
Managed 17 clubs in his career .

RIP

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 04:39 PM
RIP to a great football coach and a great man

heretoday
15-10-2010, 05:11 PM
He was quite droll in his humour. Not much success outside Manchester or Portugal. Man of many clubs like Docherty - all hoping he would recover the magic but no.

He was a flamboyant character which in former days meant wearing a big hat and chasing chicks half his age. Big Ron was the same.

Hibs On Tour
15-10-2010, 05:44 PM
He was quite droll in his humour. Not much success outside Manchester or Portugal. Man of many clubs like Docherty - all hoping he would recover the magic but no.

He was a flamboyant character which in former days meant wearing a big hat and chasing chicks half his age. Big Ron was the same.

Big Ron's not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Malcolm Allison IMHO. Great coach who introduced training methods way way ahead of their time - stuff we take from granted now. Infused average players with great belief in themselves and had a decent eye for a player to bring in to. Had incredible man-management skills and had players prepared to run through walls for him.

Big Ron by comparison was just echoing the flashy side of it - not half the manager MA was IMO.

RIP

euro Hibby
15-10-2010, 06:22 PM
"John Bond has blackened my name with his insinuations about the private lives of football managers. Both my wives are upset."

Old quote from Big mal

heretoday
15-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Big Ron's not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Malcolm Allison IMHO. Great coach who introduced training methods way way ahead of their time - stuff we take from granted now. Infused average players with great belief in themselves and had a decent eye for a player to bring in to. Had incredible man-management skills and had players prepared to run through walls for him.

Big Ron by comparison was just echoing the flashy side of it - not half the manager MA was IMO.

RIP
That's all I meant. The Las Vegas side of it. Ron wasn't daft but he never had the tactical football brain of Mal Allison.

Hibs On Tour
15-10-2010, 08:02 PM
That's all I meant. The Las Vegas side of it. Ron wasn't daft but he never had the tactical football brain of Mal Allison.

Perfectly put sir! :agree:

PapillonVert
15-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Now I know I am getting on....my first reaction was "Malcolm Allison is never 83!" He just seemed ever-youthful.

RIP Malcolm

heretoday
15-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Now I know I am getting on....my first reaction was "Malcolm Allison is never 83!" He just seemed ever-youthful.

RIP Malcolm

That's right! I just assumed he was in a hot tub with two impossibly upholstered blondes showing them his various scars from the 50s! Time flies.

New Corrie
15-10-2010, 09:26 PM
He was an applicant for the Hibs job after Sloop vacated the seat,

RIP Malcolm

IWasThere2016
15-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Great character!

Like others I cannot believe he was 83!

RIP

Hibs On Tour
16-10-2010, 12:52 AM
He was an applicant for the Hibs job after Sloop vacated the seat,