PDA

View Full Version : Going to Man U V Spurs in 2 weeks.

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Never been to Manchester before can anyone tell me good and reasonably priced accomodation, how you get to the stadium (is a taxi cheap from the centre, can you walk or is public transport best?) and where is good to go at night?

Cheers!

HH81
15-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Never been to Manchester before can anyone tell me good and reasonably priced accomodation, how you get to the stadium (is a taxi cheap from the centre, can you walk or is public transport best?) and where is good to go at night?

Cheers!

No where in Manchester is cheap but have a look at laterooms. I was at Old Trafford for the rugby final a couple of weeks ago and we got a taxi from Victoria station to the ground it was £8 - there was 4 in the taxi though. If your on your own get the tram to Old Trafford. The way back we jumped on a bus and that was around £2 pp.
The walk is about 30-40 mins from the center.

There was some good pubs nears the Victoria station as well but the ones at the ground were rammed and you had to pay to get in

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 07:47 AM
No where in Manchester is cheap but have a look at laterooms. I was at Old Trafford for the rugby final a couple of weeks ago and we got a taxi from Victoria station to the ground it was £8 - there was 4 in the taxi though. If your on your own get the tram to Old Trafford. The way back we jumped on a bus and that was around £2 pp.

Cheers. Yeah I was looking at hotels in the centre and doesnt seem like you can get a room on a Saturday night in a half decent hotel for less than about £100. £8 isnt to bad for a :taxi, thanks for your help!

HuddsHibs
15-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm going under my own steam for the first time tomorrow and already been doing the research. This link is good, click on the map to get the details.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={44A70197-F07E-4D88-A894-F91AC526A473}&section=nonMatchDay

Looks like they might still run a football special type affair.

Green_one
15-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Cheers!

If you want to treat yourself there is a barge that goes from the city centre to OT. Has food and drink. Drops you off on time. Watch and not fall in the canal.

GGMU

Hibee87
15-10-2010, 07:59 AM
how fussy are you about the accomodation?

i stayed in a place which is bang in the middle of the university bit the rooms were above a pub. the place had a bed decent tv and sclean shower and bathroom and was i think circa 20 pound a night this was a sat and sunday night i stayed when i went to see oasis. ill try and find the name for you

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:05 AM
how fussy are you about the accomodation?

i stayed in a place which is bang in the middle of the university bit the rooms were above a pub. the place had a bed decent tv and sclean shower and bathroom and was i think circa 20 pound a night this was a sat and sunday night i stayed when i went to see oasis. ill try and find the name for you

Aye if you can find the website for it as im only staying 1 night. I am going with a bird though so cant be too cheap!

Hibee87
15-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Cheers!

Here you go mate

http://www.salutationpub.co.uk/

liek i said its no great shakes but for 25 pound a night in manchester i would go back.
looked on the map and it doesnt look to far to old trafford but ive no idea how to get there

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Here you go mate

http://www.salutationpub.co.uk/

liek i said its no great shakes but for 25 pound a night in manchester i would go back.
looked on the map and it doesnt look to far to old trafford but ive no idea how to get there

Thanks.

erin-go-bragh87
15-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Does no-one go to hibs games any more???:confused:

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:23 AM

£22 to see us play Kilmarnock, no thanks! Actually, im going to start a thread about that.

Andy74
15-10-2010, 08:24 AM
There's a holiday inn express two minutes from the ground which should be cheap enough.

There's a tram stop over the road to the centre or taxis aren't too much from there.

erin-go-bragh87
15-10-2010, 08:29 AM
£22 to see us play Kilmarnock, no thanks! Actually, im going to start a thread about that.

What a support we have. How much will it cost you to go to Manchester to see a team win? I'm sure a train to Glasgow will be cheaper....

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:41 AM
What a support we have. How much will it cost you to go to Manchester to see a team win? I'm sure a train to Glasgow will be cheaper....

Read thread, Ticket prices at ER. I just left comments on there so read them and then get back to me on this.

If I choose to go to a Premiership game, Seire A, La Liga or any other league its worth paying the money for a day out or weekend away to experience something different. On a weekly basis I go to as many games as I can but as I said in the other thread £25 to see Colin Nish run about like a headless chicken is not on, especially against the likes of Killie.

I have a kid and a mortgage and dont have a great job, so why am I going to pump all my money into Hibs. Ive pumped thousands into us over the years and I mean thousands and what have I had back in return? 2 League cups in 20 years and a 6 2 against the ****. Thats pretty much been the highlights over the last 20 years, ken what I mean?

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Just noticed your Glasgow comment, what are you on about? Why would I want to go through to Glasgow unless I was following Hibs or Scotland or for a night out?

HenryMonk
15-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Read thread, Ticket prices at ER. I just left comments on there so read them and then get back to me on this.

If I choose to go to a Premiership game, Seire A, La Liga or any other league its worth paying the money for a day out or weekend away to experience something different. On a weekly basis I go to as many games as I can but as I said in the other thread £25 to see Colin Nish run about like a headless chicken is not on, especially against the likes of Killie.

I have a kid and a mortgage and dont have a great job, so why am I going to pump all my money into Hibs. Ive pumped thousands into us over the years and I mean thousands and what have I had back in return? 2 League cups in 20 years and a 6 2 against the ****. Thats pretty much been the highlights over the last 20 years, ken what I mean?

so you've not actualy said howmuch its costing you to go and watch man spew!!

ticket £45 ish
train £55 ish
hotel £40 ish
srcan&
bevy £70 ish
hooker £80 ish

i'll not be far out,

and read my comments on your other thread before responding.

and ps CC booking fee at ER is only £1.50

M11BMO
15-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I went to the Man Utd Vs West Ham game a few weeks back, United won 3-0. This was the first time I'd been to Old Trafford and it was a total eye opener as to the gulf in class between the EPL and the SPL.

Ok, I spent a bit more but really not that much more.

Ticket was £35
Coach down was £20 (return straight after the match)
Drink for the bus £15
Food and drink at the match £25/30

If I was going to ER to watch a game I'd be in the pub a longer period of time both before and after the match and would probably spend close to what I'd spent on the Utd match.

heretoday
15-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Try Trip Advisor website. Some good advice there.

The match will cost you a fortune anyway so go the whole hog and splash out on a Travel Lodge!

Pretty Boy
15-10-2010, 10:01 AM

To be fair the guys going to watch Man Utd for one weekend. It's hardly crime of the century missing one game. I lived in Barcelona for a year and still try to get over 2 or 3 times a season to take in a Barca game.

Going to see Man Utd is going to see one of the worlds biggest clubs in one of the worlds finest stadiums, it's up there with going to a match in Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Munich etc etc. Yes, it costs a bit more to go and see them but it's a one off for most non Man Utd supporters. If the OP had said he was going to see any other big club other than one from England no one would have said a thing about it. So what if he misses a Hibs game, it's his choice.

erin-go-bragh87
15-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Just noticed your Glasgow comment, what are you on about? Why would I want to go through to Glasgow unless I was following Hibs or Scotland or for a night out?

I just mean if you're after a club that you can get a return on your money in terms of succes as you have said above then there are 2 teams through there that you could support. Im just sayin that if your moaning that you wont go and watch hibs because costs 22 pound and we dont win but you will spend much more than that to go and watch a successfull then it would be cheaper and easier for you to just support the old firm.

If everyone on here based their support on a Money Spent to Success Witnessed Ratio there wouldnt really be many folk at easter road tomorrow.

LancashireHibby
15-10-2010, 11:55 AM
If your on your own get the tram to Old Trafford. The way back we jumped on a bus and that was around £2 pp.

Tip; rather than go to the Old Trafford tram stop at the side of the cricket ground, instead walk towards Salford Quays and get on the tram at Exchange Quay - couple of bars nearby and the trains are generally quieter with it being the Eccles lines rather than the main one, though it still takes you in to the city centre.

BryanV
15-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Whatever you do, be sure to keep us posted.....

Hibs On Tour
15-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I just mean if you're after a club that you can get a return on your money in terms of succes as you have said above then there are 2 teams through there that you could support. Im just sayin that if your moaning that you wont go and watch hibs because costs 22 pound and we dont win but you will spend much more than that to go and watch a successfull then it would be cheaper and easier for you to just support the old firm.

If everyone on here based their support on a Money Spent to Success Witnessed Ratio there wouldnt really be many folk at easter road tomorrow.

Wind yer neck in man. :bitchy:

He's not searching for a new team - he's saying he'd rather pay his money to be entertained than have the same old ****** we've been getting served up *on this occasion*

If you don't like him going there, so what? He was asking about hotels/transport/pubs etc - not for your frickin' permission FFS...

****in' uberfan alert! :bitchy:

steviecarnie
15-10-2010, 06:33 PM
try the etap in salford, not far from the ground and very cheap usually.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Hope you have a good w-end and Man U lose!

heretoday
15-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Manchester is ok - plenty places to go for diversion.

Should be a good game. Spurs like to play on a big pitch where they can sling it about.

darwenhibby
15-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Try late rooms.com you might still get the Ramamda Piccadilly for £59.
Use the Eccles tram to get to OT.
As you go over the Red Bridge ther is a pub SAM PLATTS with an attached beer tent, which can be quite mental and thats where you hear them making up the songs.
If you like Chinese you are right on China Town at the Ramamda Hotel.
Plenty pubs down Deansgate or Piccadilly or even around Castlefield/City Road.

Blackpool Hibs and Bolton Hibee tend to drink around Canal Street, i don't think that will be your scene:wink:

Seriously Manchester is a fantastic night out enjoy, hopefully with a reds win so long as we win at Tannadice too.

BurghHibby
15-10-2010, 09:30 PM
There's a Premier Inn within walking distance which has a bar and there are a few other bars reasonably close by, free parking as well.
Quite fancy this game myself, when is it?

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2010, 09:41 PM
You better check its ok with the Hibee Gestapo before you go to watch anyone else!

Franksaysno
15-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm going down for Wed's Champs League game (thought that won't be OK as Hibs aren't playing). All the hotels in the area seemed to have hiked their prices. Ended up biting the bullet and booking the Premier Inn across the road - family room £100+. Stayed there before,basic but OK... and the benefit is no travel/parking issues ...straight back to the bar in 5 mins.

Can't tell you about the city centre bars or clubs but if you want to know about the shops at the Trafford centre I'll give the missus a shout :boo hoo: