PDA

View Full Version : Question Lawrie Reilly on Deek

Lucius Apuleius
15-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Derek Riordan does not play for the club - he plays for the player," he said. "There can be guys in a better position, and it often happens. But he is only thinking of Derek Riordan, he doesn't think of the Hibs

A conundrum brewing here. What do you think of this statement?

PeeJay
15-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Reilly's surely said what a lot of people already feel - i.e. Riordan doesn't "always" seem to act as a team player - most of the time he is indeed his own man. That may well be the reason he doesn't fit in to the Scotland setup? His lack of 'team spirit' is apparent to me everytime one of his team mates plays a ball that doesn't reach him or doesn't go into the net or after a poorly misplaced pass - whatever - Riordan almost always throws his hands up in the air and starts remonstrating with his team mates. You see this, of course, in successful teams on occassion, but mostly the players try to motivate each other and spur them on ... not Riordan.

Without doubt he's very skillful and talented, but I feel this aspect of his game needs working on - for the benefit of the team as whole. Reilly's called it right IMO.

Come to think of it - there's not much of a team spirit at Easter Road at all! Why single out Riordan - perhaps because he's the most talented and should be leading the way?

matty_f
15-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Derek Riordan does not play for the club - he plays for the player," he said. "There can be guys in a better position, and it often happens. But he is only thinking of Derek Riordan, he doesn't think of the Hibs

I think it's a bit unfair, Deek has been invaluable to the team this season, and he's improved that area of his game, IMHO.

That's not to say that there's not some truth in the statement, but if Riordan playing for Riordan benefits Hibs through some great goals, is it really a problem?

Westie1875
15-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I agree with Matty, it is unfair. Deek has improved that side of his game a lot. If he wasn't still a wee bit selfish we wouldn't see half as many special goals.

Just Jimmy
15-10-2010, 07:22 AM
how about

"Derek Riordan is a fantastic talent, a player hibs produced themselves. He is player who is miles ahead of the majority of the rest of the team in terms of ability and knowing what it means to play for Hibs. He has scored, and continues to score numerous fantastic goals which have dug his team mates out a hole, on many occasions. The criticism of Hibs only REAL playing asset at this time is neither welcome, nor nessessary". - Me

Dirkster23
15-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Very unfair IMHO! Ok, there's times when Derek will take a shot on when he maybe could have passed to another player, but goalscorers always back themselves to score in these positions.

He's working a lot harder these days, scores plenty of goals and picks up a fair amount of assists. Not really anything to complain about as far as i'm concerned.

NORTHERNHIBBY
how about

"Derek Riordan is a fantastic talent, a player hibs produced themselves. He is player who is miles ahead of the majority of the rest of the team in terms of ability and knowing what it means to play for Hibs. He has scored, and continues to score numerous fantastic goals which have dug his team mates out a hole, on many occasions. The criticism of Hibs only REAL playing asset at this time is neither welcome, nor nessessary". - Me

I think that is probably nearer what a lot of us think and also tbh, if the original quote had appeared in the Sun or the Daily ******, by someone like Murdo Mc-Loud or Andy Wa*ker, there would be serial condemnation on this fourm and much frothing at the mouth. Quotes are never great out of context, but it should be judged on what as been said and not tempered with who has said it.

s.a.m
I agree with Matty, it is unfair. Deek has improved that side of his game a lot. If he wasn't still a wee bit selfish we wouldn't see half as many special goals.

Me too.

Not claiming any special insight here, but it's not that unusual in skillful forward players, surely? I'm sure (in the murky, foosty depths of my memory) I can remember other players in other teams who had that bit extra, and who were given a "roving commission" - basically because they were seen as valuable, but were difficult to fit into a team format, and their team-mates worked around that.

Pretty sure *Michael O'Neill fell into something like that category for us. When he went to Coventry and did less well with them, a number of commentators suggested that he didn't have the luxury of a team working round him anymore, and was having to play a specific role in a structure, which didn't suit his style of play. He was as torn-faced as Riordan on the pitch, too.:greengrin

This may be may nonsense, but I do agree that Reilly has been harsh - Deek has made a big difference to that side of his game.

[Edit: *was that another Hibs midfielder that Strachan ruined?????]

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 07:36 AM

What??? He is the best player we have by a country mile and most valuable and no doubt we will lose him for nowt at the end of the season. I dont know why people keep saying this, would you rather he played like Colin Nish or something? None of the players have been pulling there weight and if im not mistaken he has probably been one of the few good things about us this season.

Beefster
15-10-2010, 07:41 AM
If Lawrie Reilly is talking about football, I'd be inclined to listen to, and believe, what he's saying.

While Riordan benefits Hibs, there is no doubt that he makes the wrong decisions sometimes and it costs Hibs on occasion (i.e continuing to take penalties and miss them).

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2010, 07:53 AM
If Lawrie Reilly is talking about football, I'd be inclined to listen to, and believe, what he's saying.

While Riordan benefits Hibs, there is no doubt that he makes the wrong decisions sometimes and it costs Hibs on occasion (i.e continuing to take penalties and miss them).

Why? He's simply offering his opinion, that's all it is, doesn't mean he's right.

Lucius Apuleius
15-10-2010, 07:57 AM
What??? He is the best player we have by a country mile and most valuable and no doubt we will lose him for nowt at the end of the season. I dont know why people keep saying this, would you rather he played like Colin Nish or something? None of the players have been pulling there weight and if im not mistaken he has probably been one of the few good things about us this season.

Not disagreeing with you.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-10-2010, 07:57 AM
how about

:agree:

:top marks

Wilson
15-10-2010, 07:58 AM

I'd agree with the above.

There is a tendency by some to be overly protective of our own. So much so that they fail to consider any criticism as valid - no matter how qualified or experienced the person giving criticism.

Take the green tinted specs off folks. If Riordan was the messiah some make out on here he'd be earning a lot more plying his trade at a much bigger club.

basehibby
15-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Hmmm - looking at this statement I'm wondering when that chapter was written - if you'd shown me it about a year ago I'd have said it was bang on the money.

Over the last year though I've seen a massive improvement in the overall contribution to the team from Riordan - I'm talking tracking back and tackling and his general attitude to putting in a shift here (one thing that Hughes deserved some credit for - as well as the player himself of course).
He's always been the sort of player who'll shoot on sight though and I don't see that changing, but that's not uncommon in strikers and not necessarily a bad thing in someone who seems to get about 90% of his shots on target.

Stevie Reid
15-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Deek's 3 assists in one game got us our one league win thus far this season, his goals have made sure we're not rock bottom.

CmoantheHibs
15-10-2010, 09:05 AM
IMO selfishness isnt a bad thing in a striker that has talent.Obviously his lack of team ethic has been highlighted more whilst playing midfield but credit to him as he has worked on this and improved it.Every player has weak points but I feel Deek offers us qualities that nobody else in our team does and these more than make up for his failings.

J-C
15-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Deek is your typical striker, very selfish in the main, hence the reason the score the number of goals they do and also the number of misses to boot. He has tried to add extra to his game, specially last season when asked to play in a left midfield role, he has upped his workrate and I'm still amazed to see him putting in a tackle evert now and then. Deek will always give his best for Hibs, it's in his blood but he gets very frustrated with others around him due to the fact they just aren't good enough most of the time.

MacBean
15-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Every striker has to be greedy! they wouldnt score goals otherwise!
Derek loves this club

Lucius Apuleius
15-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Hmmm - looking at this statement I'm wondering when that chapter was written - if you'd shown me it about a year ago I'd have said it was bang on the money.

Over the last year though I've seen a massive improvement in the overall contribution to the team from Riordan - I'm talking tracking back and tackling and his general attitude to putting in a shift here (one thing that Hughes deserved some credit for - as well as the player himself of course).
He's always been the sort of player who'll shoot on sight though and I don't see that changing, but that's not uncommon in strikers and not necessarily a bad thing in someone who seems to get about 90% of his shots on target.

That was my thoughts to be honest. Someone should have aske Lawrie last night if he still feels that way.

Beefster
15-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Why? He's simply offering his opinion, that's all it is, doesn't mean he's right.

Because the man's a genuine Hibs legend, has earned the right to judge any Hibs player, but particularly strikers, and has forgotten more about football than anyone on this board knows about it. Apart from that, it's evident that there is, at least, an element of truth about it.

To be honest, it's a ****ing joke that folk are now turning on Lawrie Reilly because he has had the temerity to criticise Riordan (if it's actually criticism). Folk saying "criticism is neither welcome nor necessary"? We should be hanging on Reilly's every word about Hibs (along with Turnbull and Stanton).

Hiber-nation
15-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Because the man's a genuine Hibs legend, has earned the right to judge any Hibs player, but particularly strikers, and has forgotten more about football than anyone on this board knows about it. Apart from that, it's evident that there is, at least, an element of truth about it.

To be honest, it's a ****ing joke that folk are now turning on Lawrie Reilly because he has had the temerity to criticise Riordan (if it's actually criticism). Folk saying "criticism is neither welcome nor necessary"? We should be hanging on Reilly's every word about Hibs (along with Turnbull and Stanton).

:agree: :agree: :agree:

hibee62
15-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Reilly is spot on IMHO. However, since Stokes has been sold there is no one else to play that role and while last season I said its one of the two and for me it was Stokes, just now it is just him and we have to stick with him because the team benefits more with him in just now than him out...

Riordans Boots
15-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I think it's a bit unfair, Deek has been invaluable to the team this season, and he's improved that area of his game, IMHO.

That's not to say that there's not some truth in the statement, but if Riordan playing for Riordan benefits Hibs through some great goals, is it really a problem?

Have to agree :agree: Riordan plays for Riordan - and Riordan loves Hibernian :thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
15-10-2010, 10:51 AM
He's a goal machine, a Hibs fan, player and legend.

I think we need more statements, focus and home truths about the rest of the gash filling up the Hibernian staff wages.

khib70
15-10-2010, 10:59 AM

It's incredible the hysteria which gets whipped up any time anyone has the temerity to suggest that Deek is anything less than a misunderstood Messi.

He's a fine player with a rare ability to conjure up great goals from unpromising positions. Unfortunately that often leads to him attempting it when there are simpler and more potentially rewarding options available. Some great strikers are great despite being selfish, not because of it.

Riordan is the best player we have right now. But he has flaws. If he didn't, we wouldn't have him.

Dunbar Hibee
15-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Derek is definitely playing for Hibs, otherwise he wouldn't kiss the badge every time he scores.

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Riordan never is and never will be a legend in my eyes, good player on his day,has a great shot and nice bits of skill sometimes, but come on legend? deary me.
In fact im no sure if i will ever see another true hibs legend again. Only my opinion of course.

hibsbollah
15-10-2010, 11:27 AM
how about

Dunbar Hibee
Riordan never is and never will be a legend in my eyes, good player on his day,has a great shot and nice bits of skill sometimes, but come on legend? deary me.
In fact im no sure if i will ever see another true hibs legend again. Only my opinion of course.

96 (AND COUNTING) Hibs goals is pretty legendary, only my opinion of course..

Bad Martini
How aboot.

Deek hates Hibs losing about as much as we hate Hibs losing. Deek hates not scoring, almost as much as we hate seeing him miss.

I suspect he gets pissed off because he gives a ****. Take the existing squad and previous squads and see if the same can be said for all our players. Probably not.

This is why, Riordan gets away with things others sometimes wouldn't. Because he does in fact, give a ****. That, and the fact the laddie canny half score goals and put in good passes and assists.....:agree: (And a healthy dislike of the yams is another wee plus point)

MON THE DEEK :agree:

ENDOF

hibsbollah
15-10-2010, 11:28 AM

yes but you also thought Chisholm was the best midfielder at the club at one time:wink:

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 11:31 AM
yes but you also thought Chisholm was the best midfielder at the club at one time:wink:

:greengrin:greengrin get back under that rock.

Hibee Daz
15-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Good post buddy can't really add much other than the fact that I find Reillys statement counter productive, too what purpose does it serve?
We all know Deeks flaws so ****in what he is our best player by a country mile and it's obvious that he is going to get frustrated from time to time, considering the dross he has to put up with for team mates!

I would love to know why people voted Reilly as the fans chief and why he thinks he is the voice for the majority of us? :blah:

He certainly doesn't speak for me and quite frankly I wish he would keep his opinions to himself.

Beefster
15-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Good post buddy can't really add much other than the fact that I find Reillys statement counter productive, too what purpose does it serve?
We all know Deeks flaws so ****in what he is our best player by a country mile and it's obvious that he is going to get frustrated from time to time, considering the dross he has to put up with for team mates!

I would love to know why people voted Reilly as the fans chief and why he thinks he is the voice for the majority of us? :blah:

He certainly doesn't speak for me and quite frankly I wish he would keep his opinions to himself.

Where did anyone say Reilly was a fans chief or that he was speaking for everyone?

As the for the last sentence, if you can spout your opinions, why can't someone who has done infinitely more for the club?

I'll say it again - the respect given to one of our few true living legends from some on here is a disgrace.

alex74
15-10-2010, 11:59 AM

A conundrum brewing here. What do you think of this statement?who else has he got to pass too nish he played all last season setting stokes up for goals and got nothing back stokes has got to be 1 of the most selfish players i have seen at er.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Lawrie has a book to sell, he has to speak about todays players as well as the past if he or the publishers wants younger fans to buy it. Its a non story as far as I'm concerned.

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Where did anyone say Reilly was a fans chief or that he was speaking for everyone?

As the for the last sentence, if you can spout your opinions, why can't someone who has done infinitely more for the club?

I'll say it again - the respect given to one of our few true living legends from some on here is a disgrace.

As you quite rightly say it's his opinion and he's entitled to it. However it carries no more weight with me than if it was from someone who has never played for the club or football for that matter. I'm not of the Yogi mentality that you need to have played the game at some level to know what you're talking about.

Nothing to do with repsecting him or not as I do not know him or know enough about him to offer him respect. Some people seem to think because Lawrie Reilly has spoken it should not be questioned.

Storar
15-10-2010, 12:13 PM

No disrespect to Reilly, Stanton, Turnbull and the rest but as a 21 year old I don't really have any reason to treat these guys as legends other than the fact that I've been told to by older folk who remember listening to the first ever live radio broadcast in 1949.
Considering that the last of the Famous Five left Hibs 5 years before my Dad was even born then I'm in no position to comment on Lawrie because I no matte how much I read or how much I'm told, I'll never really know how good and important he was.
What I do know though is that Derek Riordan is (one of?) the best players to have played for Hibs in the last 20 years and is the only player in around 30 years to have come close to scoring 100 goals for the club.

Scoring 100 goals for a team like Hibs in this day and age is at least as big an accomplishment as it was for a player to score twice as many 50 years ago when a 4-0 scoreline was seen as a low scoring game.

I know it wont be popular with some of the older people on here but as far as I'm concerned, Reilly is just another fan in the stands now and his opinion is no more or less valid than the rest so I'm not going to hang on his every word.

GreenPJ
15-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I think one of the key issues here is Derek will always split opinion in fans. I think everyone recognises he is a very talented guy, Hibs daft and capable of moments of true genius, however, the fans are then split on the fact that "he doesn't try enough, is huffy etc", to "you lose that talent if you make him do the hard work, start passing rather than shooting".

I personally think that Derek has improved his overall game this season but the fact that he can split the fan base in their opinion suggests there are areas that need to be improved.

Were the fan base as split over Lawrie when he was playing?

Hibee Daz
15-10-2010, 12:28 PM

My bad mate, I thought it was Mike Reilly who had came out with this statement hence the fans chief comment and it wouldn't be the first time that he came out with a pointless piece of drivel!

I'm not saying that I've never spouted pish but I try to not do it publicly on the behalf of others.

My apologies for dissin Lawrie he is indeed a true Hibs legend, however I stand by my point that to come out and slate our best player is counter productive and serves no purpose!

In future I will read every post word for word before I go off on one! Doh Homer smillie!

down-the-slope
15-10-2010, 12:28 PM
He will allow his contract to run down - of course the club will get blamed by those unable to see more than one jaundiced view - and so won't be here next season.

I am more interested in what we are as a team next season than any individual player - I support the club not individual players. I have seen some better and many worse come and go....but we the fans are still here

khib70
15-10-2010, 12:32 PM
He will allow his contract to run down - of course the club will get blamed by those unable to see more than one jaundiced view - and so won't be here next season.

I am more interested in what we are as a team next season than any individual player - I support the club not individual players. I have seen some better and many worse come and go....but we the fans are still here
:agree: :top marks

David@EasterRoad
15-10-2010, 01:03 PM
No disrespect to Reilly, Stanton, Turnbull and the rest but as a 21 year old I don't really have any reason to treat these guys as legends other than the fact that I've been told to by older folk who remember listening to the first ever live radio broadcast in 1949.
Considering that the last of the Famous Five left Hibs 5 years before my Dad was even born then I'm in no position to comment on Lawrie because I no matte how much I read or how much I'm told, I'll never really know how good and important he was.
What I do know though is that Derek Riordan is (one of?) the best players to have played for Hibs in the last 20 years and is the only player in around 30 years to have come close to scoring 100 goals for the club.

Scoring 100 goals for a team like Hibs in this day and age is at least as big an accomplishment as it was for a player to score twice as many 50 years ago when a 4-0 scoreline was seen as a low scoring game.

I know it wont be popular with some of the older people on here but as far as I'm concerned, Reilly is just another fan in the stands now and his opinion is no more or less valid than the rest so I'm not going to hang on his every word.

I think you are being pretty disrespectful, these guys earned the right to be treated as legends whether you have seen them or not.

Riordan is a good player and a Hibs fan but lets be honest the only reason he came back to Hibs was because celtic didn't want him otherwise he'd still be on 50 odd goals or whatever he was on then.

KWJ
15-10-2010, 01:24 PM

We know what a huge impact they made on the club whenever we look out our most important club fact sheet - Honours List.

Or maybe All time top goalscorer - Lawrie Reilly (who retired at 29 through injury).

FWIW Lawrie gives Deeks credit in this video after the Stevenson chat.

Actually it's Stanton that does but what Lawrie says here is spot on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9094225.stm

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 01:26 PM

:worms::greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
15-10-2010, 01:28 PM

So by extension of this Storar, do you reckon only players young guys like you have seen should be eligible for the Hall of Fame?

Riordans Boots
15-10-2010, 01:30 PM
96 (AND COUNTING) Hibs goals is pretty legendary, only my opinion of course..

I think so too DB :thumbsup:

Mickey Edwards
15-10-2010, 01:31 PM

The reason to respect the man if you have never seen him is this :

He was the striker in the only ever consistently successful team in our history . By success in this context I mean winning silverware.

I've never seen him play but that's enough for me.

A minor point is that he was also the most effective striker ever to play for our country . By effective in this context I mean goalscoring ratio. He did this despite only ever playing for our club.

Respect is earnt in many different ways ; in football and in the context of Hibs I can't see how anyone could ever earn more respect through playing the game.

The man can say anything he wants and I will respect what he says - and I've never seen him play.

legend , role model, Supreme Being.....whatever superlative you want to use....if you support the Hibs then you should respect Lawrie Reilly......{on this occasion no IMHO used - I don't see this as remotely controversial }

Hainan Hibs
15-10-2010, 01:36 PM
The worst of it all is the way grown men suddenly turn into teenage lassies when criticism of Riordan is made. Huffs taken, toys out the pram, greeting, it's all truly cringeworthy material.

silverhibee
15-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Is this a qoute from his book or something LR has said to the press in the last couple of days. :confused:

Storar
15-10-2010, 01:38 PM
So by extension of this Storar, do you reckon only players young guys like you have seen should be eligible for the Hall of Fame?
Absolutely not, the heroes of the last 100+ years should definitely be remembered and recognised as much as players today should.
The point I'm making is that while the Famous Five, Turnbulls Tornadoes may have been great teams and may be my Dad and Grandads heroes, they are of little relevance to me and so instead I'll always see the likes of Riordan, Sproule, Sauzee, O'Connor etc as legends rather than hanging on every word of a guy who I'm told is a legend. I definitely still respect them as part of the clubs history though but I don't really think their opinion has any more or less value than the guy sitting next to them in the stand.

basehibby
15-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Reilly has never been refered to as any kind of "fans chief" by himself or anyone else for that matter so here's a big :blah::blah::blah: to that pile of sheight!

As for keeping his opinions to himself - WTF makes his opinion worth any less than yours ! :confused:

As I posted earlier, I disagree with him on this occasion - however, Lawrie Reilly is a total and utter Hibernian (and Scotland) legend and I for one am ALWAYS interested in what he's got to say whether I agree with it or not!

By the way - any junior Hibees who have any doubts about his legendary status - just have a look at his goalscoring record for Hibs and Scotland (particularly at Wembley) and, most of all, his league championship medals - ALL won with Hibernian FC.

silverhibee
15-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Reilly's surely said what a lot of people already feel - i.e. Riordan doesn't "always" seem to act as a team player - most of the time he is indeed his own man. That may well be the reason he doesn't fit in to the Scotland setup? His lack of 'team spirit' is apparent to me everytime one of his team mates plays a ball that doesn't reach him or doesn't go into the net or after a poorly misplaced pass - whatever - Riordan almost always throws his hands up in the air and starts remonstrating with his team mates. You see this, of course, in successful teams on occassion, but mostly the players try to motivate each other and spur them on ... not Riordan.

Without doubt he's very skillful and talented, but I feel this aspect of his game needs working on - for the benefit of the team as whole. Reilly's called it right IMO.

Come to think of it - there's not much of a team spirit at Easter Road at all! Why single out Riordan - perhaps because he's the most talented and should be leading the way?

Without Dereks goals and assists this season Hibs could be sitting at the bottom of the table right now, i think he is trying to lead the way with the team, it just seems that some of them are not up to the task and cant follow.

matty_f
15-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Reilly has never been refered to as any kind of "fans chief" by himself or anyone else for that matter so here's a big :blah::blah::blah: to that pile of sheight!

As for keeping his opinions to himself - WTF makes his opinion worth any less than yours ! :confused:

As I posted earlier, I disagree with him on this occasion - however, Lawrie Reilly is a total and utter Hibernian (and Scotland) legend and I for one am ALWAYS interested in what he's got to say whether I agree with it or not!

By the way - any junior Hibees who have any doubts about his legendary status - just have a look at his goalscoring record for Hibs and Scotland (particularly at Wembley) and, most of all, his league championship medals - ALL won with Hibernian FC.

Think you'll see some posts earlier, that there was a confusion over Reillys...:greengrin

Bishop Hibee
15-10-2010, 01:46 PM

While the word "legend" is used too lightly when describing players of the past, the playing record of Reilly and all the Famous Five allows them to be tagged as such. Your only as good as the teams and players you were up against in your own era and the Hibs team which won 3 titles in the late 40's/early 50's was amongst the best EVER in Scottish football history.

The fact Reilly is one of the greatest Scottish centre forwards ever should be beyond dispute given he was our top scorer for 7 seasons in a row and has the best goals to games (22 goals in 38 games) ratio of any Scotland international.

With the above in mind, I'd take Lawrie Reilly's opinion more seriously than any uberfan on this board.

As the song says "And if, you know, your history...." Deek is a Hibs great but is not beyond criticism. I think Reilly makes a valid point in questioning Riordan's 'team player' ethic although I would argue it has improved as he has got older.

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Im now of the understanding that the word legend is thrown at players far far too easily nowadays. If Sproule is now regarded by the young yins of today as legendary maybe the likes of Reilly are just trying to protect their status a bit.:crazy:

TRC
15-10-2010, 01:50 PM
We know what a huge impact they made on the club whenever we look out our most important club fact sheet - Honours List.

Or maybe All time top goalscorer - Lawrie Reilly (who retired at 29 through injury).

FWIW Lawrie gives Deeks credit in this video after the Stevenson chat.

Actually it's Stanton that does but what Lawrie says here is spot on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9094225.stm

Anyone else notice the reporter at the end say "do WE need to stop going that route" Is he a Hibby?:thumbsup:

Storar
15-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Im now of the understanding that the word legend is thrown at players far far too easily nowadays. If Sproule is now regarded by the young yins of today as legendary maybe the likes of Reilly are just trying to protect their status a bit.:crazy:
You're missing my point quite spectacularly though.
You can throw all the stats about that you want, I'll still acknowledge Reilly as one of the most important players in the clubs history and respect him for that.

What I wont do is agree with everything he says because of this.

In 50 years when my Grand Kids are asking me about who my Hibs heroes were when I was young, how many stories am I going to have about Reilly, Stanton and Smith? Not as many as I'm going to have about Riordan, O'Connor and Sproule that's for sure.
The 3-0's at Ibrox, the last minute winner against Hearts, the AEK game, the CIS Final will always have more relevance and importance to me than the 7-0 game, The Championship win in '52 or the other European night's in the 50's or anything the Famous Five ever did. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate it though.

Lucius Apuleius
15-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Is this a qoute from his book or something LR has said to the press in the last couple of days. :confused:

In his book. It was on Scotsman site.

Absolutely not, the heroes of the last 100+ years should definitely be remembered and recognised as much as players today should.
The point I'm making is that while the Famous Five, Turnbulls Tornadoes may have been great teams and may be my Dad and Grandads heroes, they are of little relevance to me and so instead I'll always see the likes of Riordan, Sproule, Sauzee, O'Connor etc as legends rather than hanging on every word of a guy who I'm told is a legend. I definitely still respect them as part of the clubs history though but I don't really think their opinion has any more or less value than the guy sitting next to them in the stand.

That is the bit I would have to dissgree mate. I think his opinion on strikers, whilst being his opinion , is based on experience and knowledge of the game. We all widely agree that the game in Scotland at the minute is absolute mince. It wasn't when this guy was playing (not talking through any experience but having watched old footage by the way!!!). He knows what he is talking about. The guy sitting next to you, assuming he is with you and of the same age group has not seen football the way it used to be played. I love Deek, absolutely superb player in today's modern game. However I could run off many names from the past fifty years who were as good if not better and I would certainly have in my team before Deek.

Hibee Daz
15-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Dude you've done the exact same thing as myself, go off on one without reading every post word for word! :foot: I've already posted since my gaff admitting that I got my wires crossed, as I thought it was Mike Reilly who came out with the original statement!
I'm not arguing with anybody about the absolute fact that Lawrie Reilly is indeed a true Hibs legend.

Peace :aok:

Storar
15-10-2010, 03:03 PM
That is the bit I would have to dissgree mate. I think his opinion on strikers, whilst being his opinion , is based on experience and knowledge of the game. We all widely agree that the game in Scotland at the minute is absolute mince. It wasn't when this guy was playing (not talking through any experience but having watched old footage by the way!!!). He knows what he is talking about. The guy sitting next to you, assuming he is with you and of the same age group has not seen football the way it used to be played. I love Deek, absolutely superb player in today's modern game. However I could run off many names from the past fifty years who were as good if not better and I would certainly have in my team before Deek.

Fair enough GT. I'm not for a second suggesting that Derek is the best forward to play for Hibs, but I do think it's unfair of me to suggest that Reilly, Smith or Ormond is. I'm happy to leave that to the older people who have seen it all.
I think time can be very generous though when it comes to telling stories of the past, Franck Sauzee's goal against Hearts seems to get further and further out every time I hear about it!

I think Reilly he's wrong to say this about Riordan though and the fact that it's Lawie Reilly that said it is irrelevant for me and I'm not just going to agree with it because I've been told he's a Hibs legend.
I'm not saying that you have suggested that I should, but there's a few on here that have and I think it's a bit cringy. I get the feeling that if Reilly said we should change our strips to maroon, use a heart as our badge and move our stadium to Gorgie then some people would agree just because of who said it!

Wilson
15-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I think Reilly he's wrong to say this about Riordan though and the fact that it's Lawie Reilly that said it is irrelevant for me and I'm not just going to agree with it because I've been told he's a Hibs legend.
I'm not saying that you have suggested that I should, but there's a few on here that have and I think it's a bit cringy. I get the feeling that if Reilly said we should change our strips to maroon, use a heart as our badge and move our stadium to Gorgie then some people would agree just because of who said it!

That last part is pish. Who is saying Reilly knows anything about strips or marketing? People would be quite right to doubt his credentials on that score. He has played the game at a very good level and his opinion on footballers has more merit than your average dewy eyed fan.

It is interesting your argument has more to do with trying to discredit a legend than actually talk up Riordan. Says it all for me.

Kevvy1875
15-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Hypocritcal from Reilly here IMO.

At a time when Derek is regarded from many Hibs fans as our only ray of sunshine and he openly slate's him like this? Is that thinking of the Hibs? Or is it thinking of your opinion only. Hibs fans will be at odds over the statement at a time when we really dont need that kind of negativity.

I also don't agree with him.

Mr Jolly
15-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with Rielly 100%

Riordan is selfish and I have never been to a game where you could say he 'man of the match' because he only really plays for a third of a match.
I think hughes wanted rid of him. think he is a bad influence in the dressing room and comes across as lazy to me.
Just my opinion.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Couldn't disagree more.

As someone else here said, their opinions are just opinions. I respect what they achieved with Hibs (and Pat Stanton will always be my personal footballing hero) but "hanging on someone's every word" just because of who they are is ridiculous IMO.

Sas_The_Hibby
15-10-2010, 05:13 PM
The worst of it all is the way grown men suddenly turn into teenage lassies when criticism of Riordan is made. Huffs taken, toys out the pram, greeting, it's all truly cringeworthy material.

In exactly the same way some others on here are reacting to any implied criticism of Lawrie Reilly! :wink:

Kevvy1875
15-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree with Rielly 100%

Riordan is selfish and I have never been to a game where you could say he 'man of the match' because he only really plays for a third of a match.
I think hughes wanted rid of him. think he is a bad influence in the dressing room and comes across as lazy to me.
Just my opinion.

Never been to many Hibs games then have you.

Riordans Boots
15-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree with Rielly 100%

Mr Jolly isn't really very jolly and has never been to a game where you could say he 'man of the match' because he only really plays for a third of a match.
Just my opinion.

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree with Rielly 100%

Just my opinion.

:faf::faf: Good one.

E.T. is a Hibee
15-10-2010, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=GordonTurnbull;2606665]Derek Riordan does not play for the club - he plays for the player," he said. "There can be guys in a better position, and it often happens. But he is only thinking of Derek Riordan, he doesn't think of the Hibs
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::y awn:

TowerHibs
15-10-2010, 06:05 PM
i personally think Reilly can do one.....

no doubting what he done for the club and who he is in our history but i'm definately not listening to him saying Derek doesn't care for the club.

for someone who puts the club first, what timeing to slate our best player (by a complete mile) when the team is a farce and that said player is out of contract shortly. Can you imagine Bobby Charlton slating Ronaldo a few years ago when he had 6/7 months of his contract to go, being top goal scorer at united

Albion Hibs
15-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd agree with the above.

There is a tendency by some to be overly protective of our own. So much so that they fail to consider any criticism as valid - no matter how qualified or experienced the person giving criticism.

Take the green tinted specs off folks. If Riordan was the messiah some make out on here he'd be earning a lot more plying his trade at a much bigger club.

Agreed.

I think Riordan is a very gifted player and among the best and most dedicated players currently at Hibs.

LR was a fantastic player, and played amoungst some even better players, I think he will have a far greater understanding of the game than an everyday fan. Therefore I would be inclined to agree with him.

He is not saying Riordan is not a good player is he? Simply that he is out for himself, which now that football is a profession could be said of almost all. I am sure if deek got the chance to move to a bigger club, on better money he would, and I would not begrudge him that.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 06:50 PM
i personally think Reilly can do one.....

no doubting what he done for the club and who he is in our history but i'm definately not listening to him saying Derek doesn't care for the club.

for someone who puts the club first, what timeing to slate our best player (by a complete mile) when the team is a farce and that said player is out of contract shortly. Can you imagine Bobby Charlton slating Ronaldo a few years ago when he had 6/7 months of his contract to go, being top goal scorer at united

Dearie me. Offering an opinion is hardly a hanging offence :wink:

I'm a huge fan of Derek and I'd be delighted if he sees his playing days out at ER BUT I still agree with Lawrie Reilly to an extent. Essentially Lawrie was part of a famous forward line that scored and laid on for each other hundreds of goals knowing that the only outcome of being so unselfish might help Hibs to win games. It's simply a generational thing. In LR's day you signed for a club and if you were good enough you stayed there. Nowadays clubs like Hibs are seen as a stepping stone to higher things and even Derek went down that path when he joined Celtic.

By all means (and this is not aimed specifically at you Kevin80) disagree with LR's view but lets show a little respect for someone who truly is a legend

Hiber-nation
15-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Agreed.

I think Riordan is a very gifted player and among the best and most dedicated players currently at Hibs.

LR was a fantastic player, and played amoungst some even better players, I think he will have a far greater understanding of the game than an everyday fan. Therefore I would be inclined to agree with him.

He is not saying Riordan is not a good player is he? Simply that he is out for himself, which now that football is a profession could be said of almost all. I am sure if deek got the chance to move to a bigger club, on better money he would, and I would not begrudge him that.

Right with you on this one Mr Albion :agree:

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Agreed.

Well said AH :top marks

IWasThere2016
15-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd imagine it was a lot easier to lay it off for a colleague when there was 5 forwards and 2 defenders - as in the 2-3-5 of auld. Today its 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 (when defenders are quicker, stronger, bigger and there's more of them).

Personally, I think Deeks' record on assists would be pretty good.

LR is a Hibs legend - but not correct on this occasion IMHO.

EasterRoad4Ever
15-10-2010, 07:13 PM

When a living legend speaks, you have to take note, And legends don't come any bigger than LR. QED Riordan is not a team player.

Love this quote from the Great Man : "God put me onto this world at the right time. He put me together with players who could not be bettered." Almost Churchillian !

BryanV
15-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I'd imagine it was a lot easier to lay it off for a colleague when there was 5 forwards and 2 defenders - as in the 2-3-5 of auld. Today its 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 (when defenders are quicker, stronger, bigger and there's more of them).

Personally, I think Deeks' record on assists would be pretty good.

LR is a Hibs legend - but not correct on this occasion IMHO.

I don't think it is that black or white. Deek is not the most selfless of players but neither is he the most selfish. Your analysis regarding football in the time of Lawries Reilly is somewhat simplistic. Forwards were less well protected in those days, the ball was harder and the football in Scotland, in relative terms, was of a higher standard. Surely facing only two defenders would make you less inclined to lay it off?

To add to the controversy, Stanton reckoned in his book Dream Team that Riordan did not work as hard as he should. Granted, that book came earlier in the year.

alex74
15-10-2010, 07:21 PM
When a living legend speaks, you have to take note, And legends don't come any bigger than LR. QED Riordan is not a team player.

Love this quote from the Great Man : "God put me onto this world at the right time. He put me together with players who could not be bettered." Almost Churchillian !
i Agree the players today couldnt lace there boots but a cant understand why reilly had a wee go at deeko why not others a dont think derek deserves that hes been the best striker for 20 year at ER.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 07:27 PM
i Agree the players today couldnt lace there boots but a cant understand why reilly had a wee go at deeko why not others a dont think derek deserves that hes been the best striker for 20 year at ER.

Maybe he was asked for his views on Derek? Seems the most likely reason to me :agree:

alex74
15-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Maybe he was asked for his views on Derek? Seems the most likely reason to me :agree::agree:

IWasThere2016
15-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Bryan V - the strikers of old got more chances, could bundle the keeper and baw over the line for a goal etc.. The game was very simple - that's not being simplistic - but factual.

I do agree with earlier comments that it is a non-story, and a comment for an opinion/book sale. It is also a small part of the article - its the headline because it would get people talking .. And it has.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Fair enough GT. I'm not for a second suggesting that Derek is the best forward to play for Hibs, but I do think it's unfair of me to suggest that Reilly, Smith or Ormond is. I'm happy to leave that to the older people who have seen it all.
I think time can be very generous though when it comes to telling stories of the past, Franck Sauzee's goal against Hearts seems to get further and further out every time I hear about it!

Never saw Reilly play myself.

However, making a judgement on what Reilly did in the game against his peers and taking into consideration Hibs were the top team in Scotland at that time, I think Lawrie would be entitled to bitch slap Riordan up and down the Easter Road slope whenever the fancy takes him. :cool2:

BryanV
15-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Bryan V - the strikers of old got more chances, could bundle the keeper and baw over the line for a goal etc.. The game was very simple - that's not being simplistic - but factual.

I do agree with earlier comments that it is a non-story, and a comment for an opinion/book sale. It is also a small part of the article - its the headline because it would get people talking .. And it has.

That is not the point I was making. Football, if anything is more of a team game these days. I think whilst there are aspects of Deek's play that would benefit from work, to suggest he has no thought for the team is a harsh.

NAE NOOKIE
15-10-2010, 08:21 PM
LR is entitled to his opinion, however the fact that finding a Hibs forward in the box at all over the last few seasons has been a bit difficult probably explains why DR doesnt pass to another player when he has the ball.

Anyway ... This legends slating modern players stuff gets a bit annoying after a while. If LR had been playing now he would have been lucky if the rest of the FF had been at the same club as him for two seasons.

If LR had been left to do the business on his own at ER for a few seasons without anything like the class he had around him I bet some auld Hibs worthy from the 20s would have ended up saying the same stuff about him.

Gaun yersel Deeks

Hibs On Tour
15-10-2010, 08:25 PM

As some others have said I think there is a danger of making a mountain out of a molehill here.

LR hasn't said DR is crap or that he is a mercenary who doesn't care about Hibs. He has said that sometimes he takes the selfish option up front as opposed to the one that may pay off better for Hibs at that moment in time in that particular game. Exactly like I'm sure he did from time to time when playing and exactly like every other half-decent striker in the world will do.

FWIW I was speaking to LR at our table a couple of years ago when my company were match sponsors for a game. His view then was that DR was the only Hibs player from the current era who would even get into the squad LR had been in back in the day. Hardly an attack on the lad, that kind of reference is it? Mind you, he did say he'd only get onto the bench though! :wink:

Some people on here need to stop looking for things to attack. Think the lack of info about a new manager has a few people on edge around here and they're just biting about anything. All this 'how dare you question LR' or 'how dare you criticise DR' stuff is just laughable...

ekhibee
15-10-2010, 08:37 PM
As some others have said I think there is a danger of making a mountain out of a molehill here.

LR hasn't said DR is crap or that he is a mercenary who doesn't care about Hibs. He has said that sometimes he takes the selfish option up front as opposed to the one that may pay off better for Hibs at that moment in time in that particular game. Exactly like I'm sure he did from time to time when playing and exactly like every other half-decent striker in the world will do.

FWIW I was speaking to LR at our table a couple of years ago when my company were match sponsors for a game. His view then was that DR was the only Hibs player from the current era who would even get into the squad LR had been in back in the day. Hardly an attack on the lad, that kind of reference is it? Mind you, he did say he'd only get onto the bench though! :wink:

Some people on here need to stop looking for things to attack. Think the lack of info about a new manager has a few people on edge around here and they're just biting about anything. All this 'how dare you question LR' or 'how dare you criticise DR' stuff is just laughable...

heretoday
15-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Riordan is a one-off. You can't legislate for a guy like that but you can't get rid of him because he can do magic things and that's what you go for really.

I think he plays for the team as much as anyone. He would appreciate some better players around him.

Beefster
15-10-2010, 08:49 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't question Reilly or disagree with him. It's the 'Do one, Reilly" and "Keep your trap shut" comments that some of us object to. Basic respect for a club legend wouldn't go amiss, whether he played in the 1950's, 1970's or whenever.

If some posters came on here and started "**** off, Riordan" or "Up yours, Sauzee", we'd have a meltdown. The fact that Reilly played before most posters were born shouldn't diminish his importance or contribution to Hibs.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that you can't question Reilly or disagree with him. It's the 'Do one, Reilly" and "Keep your trap shut" comments that some of us object to. Basic respect for a club legend wouldn't go amiss, whether he played in the 1950's, 1970's or whenever.

If some posters came on here and started "**** off, Riordan" or "Up yours, Sauzee", we'd have a meltdown. The fact that Reilly played before most posters were born shouldn't diminish his importance or contribution to Hibs.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
15-10-2010, 08:57 PM

CRAZYHIBBY
15-10-2010, 08:58 PM
IMO his comments were needless and out of order, He may be a club legend but what has he done for us lately?

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 09:00 PM
IMO his comments were needless and out of order, He may be a club legend but what has he done for us lately?

He's a fine ambassador for Hibs and is as entitled to his view as anyone

KiddA
15-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Out of order comments to be honest and now is really not the time :grr: Yes Lawrie we all know the team you played in was first class as we hear that everytime you are interviewed but this is now and now is not the time to be negative about probably our best player this season. Yet another ex player with too much to say for themselves legend or not :agree:

Hibs On Tour
15-10-2010, 09:06 PM

Agree 100% about having respect for the guy [and indeed anyone in general - too much acceptance of lack of respect in general but thats for another discussion]. FWIW I think that there *is* an element of both points I made however and neither holds any water for me.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I wonder if we'd have had the same reaction if Lawrie had said this about Colin Nish

alex74
15-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I wonder if we'd have had the same reaction if Lawrie had said this about Colin NishProbably lol

Hiber-nation
15-10-2010, 09:26 PM

What exactly do you want him to do? He's probably as pissed off as the rest of us at some of the jokers wearing Hibs jerseys in the last couple of seasons. And I exclude Derek Riordan from that list by the way.

SouthamptonHibs
15-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Who cares what he says.

Facts is the man was great and played in a different era than Deek! He was great and is a legend but Deek is by far the best player we have... What a stupid question ect by our legend! next thing he@ll be saying is yogi should be gaffer. If we had more deeks than colin nishy's we would have more than 5 points. If i had the choice shoot or pass to nish i@d shoot.

Come on the cabbage

alex74
15-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Who cares what he says.

Facts is the man was great and played in a different era than Deek! He was great and is a legend but Deek is by far the best player we have... What a stupid question ect by our legend! next thing he@ll be saying is yogi should be gaffer. If we had more deeks than colin nishy's we would have more than 5 points. If i had the choice shoot or pass to nish i@d shoot.

Come on the cabbage:top marks

Albion Hibs
15-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

As someone else here said, their opinions are just opinions. I respect what they achieved with Hibs (and Pat Stanton will always be my personal footballing hero) but "hanging on someone's every word" just because of who they are is ridiculous IMO.

Hanging on yes, but frankly some of the chat in relation to LR is very out of order, he was in a bracket above Riordan. That is not a slate of deek, just a fact.

As I said before he is really just saying he is out for himself, not that he is not a good player.

I would listen to his opinion more than others, he has a far greater knowledge of the game than the everyday fan.

Slating him is unacceptable, as unacceptable as it is to slate any Hibby that plays for the club IMO.

IWasThere2016
15-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Well said Hibs On Tour :agree:

Kevvy1875
15-10-2010, 11:23 PM
This thread is an embarrasment quite frankly.

I certainly don't agree with LR's comments on Riordan, very, very far from it. Though it's pretty sad when people ridicule who he actually is and what he means in our history and also forget that the way Hibs are expected to play to this current day is down to Lawrie and his colleague's back in the 50's setting the benchmark for future Hibs XI's.

Disagree if you want as I have done but try and do it with the respect that LR undoubtably deserve's.

Riordan for me is a modern day legend or as close as you will get to it. For an SPL striker to score 100(very soonly) goals for an club outside the OF is nothing short of remarkable. His goals are not the only feature to his game, How many goals did Stokes et on a plate from DR's assists last season?

LR and DR both Legends in their own right and in very different circumstance's.

The Harp Awakes
15-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I thought it was a a very pointed comment from Lawrie on Deek. Whether Deek looks after himself at the expense of the Club or not I'm not sure, but there is no doubting what he brings to Hibs and without him, we would definitely be relegation candidates.

When a business is failing you don't single out your best performer for criticism, so this is all a bit strange.

lEXO
15-10-2010, 11:49 PM

He will alow his contract to run down AGAIN.As for the rest of your post i agree totally.I like Deeks as a player, and his undoubted natural ability i admire.We will miss him if he goes, but Hibs will survive.As for Lawrie Reilly, he has every right to give his opinion.He is a Hibs fan who has seen more than a lot of us put together.

alex74
15-10-2010, 11:55 PM
He will alow his contract to run down AGAIN.As for the rest of your post i agree totally.I like Deeks as a player, and his undoubted natural ability i admire.We will miss him if he goes, but Hibs will survive.As for Lawrie Reilly, he has every right to give his opinion.He is a Hibs fan who has seen more than a lot of us put together.Hibs are known to let players contracts run down why
?same with boozy

lEXO
16-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Hibs are known to let players contracts run down why
?same with boozy
If i remember rightly, they were both offered contracts but decided to exercise their right of freedom of contract.Both moved for cash and done nowt.It looks like it might happen again, and if he goes so be it.

Hibs On Tour
16-10-2010, 12:51 AM
If i remember rightly, they were both offered contracts but decided to exercise their right of freedom of contract.Both moved for cash and done nowt.It looks like it might happen again, and if he goes so be it.

DR had a contract offer from Hibs [which he would have signed] which was taken off the table when the manager got punted. Mowbray came in and asked for the offer to be reinstated. Which it was. As he would have signed the original, DR asked for the new contract to be backdated to the original date - club refused so he refused to sign. So not quite as simple as him just letting his contract run down - he felt he'd been let down by the club and it was more about that than the contract itself per-se...

Or something like that...?

KWJ
16-10-2010, 01:54 AM
FFS some people need to take a breather. It's not as if LR just thought "what to do today, think i'll have a bash at Derek Riordan". It's his book that's been written over the past 2 years. The current team would undoubtedly have been brought up and Derek being our best player and all, would have been brought up. His thoughts are hardly earth shattering shock on the player either. He's left us in the lurch once and while it'll be utterly gut wrenching should he do it again it wouldn't be a great surprise really now would it.

He's a Hibs man and he's mature but he's still got a long way to go to be a legend in the same regard as the Famous Five. All Derek Riordan needs to do is keep playing for Hibs and keep scoring goals.

NaeTechnoHibby
16-10-2010, 02:34 AM
I'll have read the signed book by Sunday :agree:

BUT storar .........you are way out of order on this :bitchy:

He's a very aproachable and would talk to you, about Hibs and Scotland current and past, till the day is long, with his opnions, he and Pat Stanton both share most of the same views :agree:

Your hero, Sauzee, never has come back...despite the dust settling>>>>>>>>>>:bitchy:

He's not exactly a "fan" these days .....let alone a Legend :bitchy:

If his heart was here .......he would be at somepoint in his fishing trips :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
16-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Another thought, and someone who has already read the book will confirm or not as the case may be hopefully. I am guessing that these couple of sentences is not the only thing he says about Derek?

I should also add that all this abuse of LR for having an opinion is embarassing but not unexpected when you look at the abuse other players and ex managers get on here. I find it sad that people cannot put over an opinion of someone without abuse. Symptomatic of the internet breed I guess.

Arch Stanton
16-10-2010, 06:28 AM
I don't like all the unquestioning praise that Riordan gets and have usually offered up criticism even though I know he is talented. The other thing I have a problem with is managers (plural) having teams play rubbish for 90 mins but getting out of jail because he can get goals out of nothing.

That said, the Reilly quote didn't register with me - no disrespect intended of course :greengrin. Someone else made a good point comparing Riordan to Michael O'Neil (must have been on another thread as I can't find it) trooping back with a long face because things hadn't gone his way. The point is, just because Riordan spends too long dwelling on the last failed attack instead of immediately getting focused on defending doesn't prove to me that he doesn't play for the team - it's just how he is (i.e. he's no Messi).

Andy Murray can be exactly the same, letting things get on top of him on occasion in a way Nadal never seems to do - but no one can claim he isn't committed, it's just part of who he is.

For me Riordan has another flaw in that his natural position is the inside left channel - at his best when Caldwell was here (:duck:) to launch deep but accurate passes for him to control and attack.

For these reasons I can't see him getting picked much for Scotland - managers these days need to account for all phases of the game and Riordan's natural game tends to screw that up.

Another point was made somewhere that there should be room in the game for flawed geniuses and I agree with that. However, I think that needs a manager who knows what he is about and who can get the rest of the team playing intelligently and keeping a balance.

Basically, unlike tennis, this is a team game so, by applying the time honoured maxim of one for all and all for one, it should be about how the rest of the team play for Riordan every bit as much as how Riordan plays for the team.

Mind you, there won't be room for any other flaws in the team and unfortunately there is always one or two players who don't seem to, IMO, perform their alloted roles very well/diligently - maybe that can change though. :agree:

andudare2
16-10-2010, 07:34 AM
because the man's a genuine hibs legend, has earned the right to judge any hibs player, but particularly strikers, and has forgotten more about football than anyone on this board knows about it. Apart from that, it's evident that there is, at least, an element of truth about it.

To be honest, it's a ****ing joke that folk are now turning on lawrie reilly because he has had the temerity to criticise riordan (if it's actually criticism). Folk saying "criticism is neither welcome nor necessary"? We should be hanging on reilly's every word about hibs (along with turnbull and stanton).bang on the money bud!!!!!

Greenblood70
16-10-2010, 10:24 AM
how about

:top marks:agree:

I shudder to think what the current bunch would be like to watch if it wasn't for the moments of magic from Deek.

Bostonhibby
16-10-2010, 10:33 AM
He's a goal machine, a Hibs fan, player and legend.

I think we need more statements, focus and home truths about the rest of the gash filling up the Hibernian staff wages.

:agree: I think Deek has been more of a team player over the last year or so, and sometimes looks to be one of very few that are actually bothered about the poor distribution and attitude on the pitch, he certainly does play a bit more for the team, but can you imagine, particularly during Yogi's time, if Dek had passed more instead of shooting and scoring? or worse gave up the free kick role to someone else?

lEXO
16-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Another thought, and someone who has already read the book will confirm or not as the case may be hopefully. I am guessing that these couple of sentences is not the only thing he says about Derek?

I should also add that all this abuse of LR for having an opinion is embarassing but not unexpected when you look at the abuse other players and ex managers get on here. I find it sad that people cannot put over an opinion of someone without abuse. Symptomatic of the internet breed I guess.

Ritchie
17-10-2010, 07:33 AM
I think lawries comments were true to see to everyone at the game yesterday.

Desk Is a cracking player... But his moaning is pathetic.

His teammates must be bored stiff of his pish.

Wotherspoon got it tight yesterday from Derek which was unfair as at least he was trying.

I've never really criticised deek before because I admire his talent but at the moment Hibs need their experienced players to be positive and help the team. Deek isn't doing this at the moment.

To me it looks like he thinks he's too good for Hibs.

Brizo
17-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I think lawries comments were true to see to everyone at the game yesterday.

Desk Is a cracking player... But his moaning is pathetic.

His teammates must be bored stiff of his pish.

Wotherspoon got it tight yesterday from Derek which was unfair as at least he was trying.

I've never really criticised deek before because I admire his talent but at the moment Hibs need their experienced players to be positive and help the team. Deek isn't doing this at the moment.

To me it looks like he thinks he's too good for Hibs.

In an era where the term "legend" is used far too lightly and too often Lawrie is a genuine 100% legend.

If anyones earned the right to criticise current day players its Lawrie. Lawrie would be one of the very first names on an all time Hibs greatest 11. Hes also a total gentleman , an impeccable ambassador for Hibs and carries himself with great dignity.

Gentleman , ambassador and dignity are three words that have never been used in relation to Deeks.

northgreen24
17-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Who cares if DR moans that's his personality, So because of this and he is not a workhorse he can't be a legend??

Gazza was a pain in the backside with all his problems but I am sure every rangers fan see's him as a top player and will do in 20 years time.

Yes I am only 31 but I can't think of many players who have made such an impact on so many games. I know he was happy to leave for the money but would the older players have done the same ???

something we will never know