PDA

View Full Version : One for the youngsters who might not know, and warm nostalgia for the rest of us.....

tony
14-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Here's a clip of a fabulous Scotland player being brilliant. Nice to remember that we used to be quite good at football. Not sure that Eddie Gray would be quite hard working enough for the likes of the present Scottish manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkd3HWQu32Q

:greengrin

--------
14-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Here's a clip of a fabulous Scotland player being brilliant. Nice to remember that we used to be quite good at football. Not sure that Eddie Gray would be quite hard working enough for the likes of the present Scottish manager.

I do not love that Leeds United team even the tiniest bit, but EG was indeed a truly wonderful player and that goal captures him perfectly. :agree:

Alex Trager
14-10-2010, 01:20 PM
immense goal

Jim44
14-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I do not love that Leeds United team even the tiniest bit, but EG was indeed a truly wonderful player and that goal captures him perfectly. :agree:

:agree: I never forgave Billy Bremner for his tactics in the game at Easter Road.

supershotmo
14-10-2010, 02:04 PM
You need to keep your eye out for the right back who dived in twice.

Class player was Mr Eddie Gray.

erin-go-bragh87
14-10-2010, 03:22 PM
:agree: I never forgave Billy Bremner for his tactics in the game at Easter Road.

What tactics?? Sorry, too young I think!!

Jim44
14-10-2010, 04:00 PM
1973 UEFA Cup. Hibs took the game to Leeds and outplayed them in the 0-0 first leg at Elland Road and won great respect from everyone. In the second leg at Easter Road, Hibs again outplayed them and literally did all the attacking. Leeds were unbelievably defensive, even worse than our mob against the Czech Republic last Friday. Billy Bremner, the Leeds captain cynically wasted time throughout the whole game running sideways and back to his own goal whenever he could. He made no effort to go forward and even took to running back and sitting on the ball, teasing the Hibs players. The game ended 0-0 again but Leeds won 5-4 on penalties. A huge injustice even to the most impartial of onlookers.

stu in nottingham
14-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks for that. That goal by Eddie Gray is my absolute favourite by any player any time. It would be my goal of the century.

Eddie Gray was indeed a wonderful and skilful player.

Bostonhibby
14-10-2010, 09:20 PM
1973 UEFA Cup. Hibs took the game to Leeds and outplayed them in the 0-0 first leg at Elland Road and won great respect from everyone. In the second leg at Easter Road, Hibs again outplayed them and literally did all the attacking. Leeds were unbelievably defensive, even worse than our mob against the Czech Republic last Friday. Billy Bremner, the Leeds captain cynically wasted time throughout the whole game running sideways and back to his own goal whenever he could. He made no effort to go forward and even took to running back and sitting on the ball, teasing the Hibs players. The game ended 0-0 again but Leeds won 5-4 on penalties. A huge injustice even to the most impartial of onlookers.

:agree: Was at both games, Leeds were a brutally efficient team with a great record and world famous players, Jack Charlton was rumoured to have been quite derogatory about us beforehand. We took the game to them at Elland Road and should have won it then, I never saw Bremner in the same light after that one but we bettered the team that were cleaning up in England at the time.

Jonnyboy
14-10-2010, 09:43 PM
immense goal

Indeed and :top marks to the referee who ignores the Leeds man lying prone in the 18 yard box. Nowadays the ref would stop the game even when it's clear it's not a head knock :agree:

heretoday
15-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Tricky customer Eddie Gray. That Burnley defence is a bit static! Shows how the game has changed. Gray wouldn't have got near the goal now. Some big ape would have muscled him out the way.

jdships
15-10-2010, 10:15 AM
:agree: Was at both games, Leeds were a brutally efficient team with a great record and world famous players, Jack Charlton was rumoured to have been quite derogatory about us beforehand. We took the game to them at Elland Road and should have won it then, I never saw Bremner in the same light after that one but we bettered the team that were cleaning up in England at the time.

Yeah!
I was staying the night at Selby Fork on business and travelled over to Elland Road for that game.
It was arguably Jim Black's finest 90 minutes in a Hibs shirt .

ER as is said was a travesty .
Leeds from memory fielded a young goalkeeper and they just put nine men behind the ball on every occasion.
To be fair Bremner did a job for his club which won them the game !!!
:flag:

mjhibby
15-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Watched the guys top 10 leeds goals and his 1 and 2 were tony yeboah both goals of which were as good as you are likely to see.Great days watching leeds then and whatever happened to mr yeboah.

H18SScottW
16-10-2010, 08:02 PM

:wink: I love that Leeds United team , and Eddie Gray was one of several truly wonderful players in it :agree:

The OP is one of my favourite clips, and here's another for the "Dirty Leeds never played football they just kicked you off the park" brigade ... :7::0: in the 70's - only the true greats manage such a feat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wweh3ROiqWI&feature=related

lyonhibs
16-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Watched the guys top 10 leeds goals and his 1 and 2 were tony yeboah both goals of which were as good as you are likely to see.Great days watching leeds then and whatever happened to mr yeboah.

No idea what happened to him, but chrsit he knew where the back of the net was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mibmlTgEcU&feature=related

PapillonVert
16-10-2010, 11:52 PM

That was in the days when footie wasn't shown live on TV throughout the UK thanks to the wonderful SFA philosophy that if there was a game on in Scotland between, say, Inversneckie Farmers' Cooperative and Achiltibuie & District Fishermens' Social then no other game could be televised. The Leeds v. Hibs game was on TV in England and, according to my father who lived in England at that time and saw the game, Jimmy Hill was awestruck by how goods HIbs were. "They are showing us how footbal should be played" is what my Dad told me he said. He (my Dad) thought Hibs were brilliant that night.